Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

wesleywillis posted:

If this isn't some kind of top secret invention, what the poo poo are you trying to make?

Aluminum is good, but maybe something like brass might be better. Its still easily drilled and tapped, but its better for some applications than aluminum. Someone smarter than me will probably show up and tell me why its no good for whatever, but in things like fishing reels, brass gears are better than aluminum. I suppose maybe thats only because it wears better, but it might be more suitable, depending on what you want it to do.

Yeah, I figured brass was better for not sparking(in situations where that matters), as well as wearing out better. Admittedly, I hadn't considered brass though as a material for this.

For what I'm making, check out my post history in this thread, as well as the thread I made right here in DIY. I'm making a set of digitigrade stilts. One design constraint I'm continually running up against is that I'd like to buy as many of the pieces of these things from big box stores and otherwise-national-chains as much as possible, to make it easier for people that might want to build their own set of stilts to purchase the materials they would need.

The specific part I'm looking to make with these blocks are some side mounts for the ankle braces and foot plate, as well as an anchor point for a cable tendon that needs to be installed. The anchor point needs to be adjustable, to adjust the tension on the tendon, which will effect the center of gravity of the stilts, as well as transfer some of the strain of standing away from my heel and onto my thighs. I was actually planning on making a post in the thread to ask there if anyone has any ideas. I asked here first though because this threads way more active than mine, and I'm still basically just looking for ideas for this bit, so I figured here would be the better place to ask.

EDIT: Welp. Does anyone even care about snipe quality in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What dictates the dimensions on these things, anyway? My inclination, if possible, would be steel bar stock. It's about 3x heavier by volume than aluminum, if I recall correctly, but so much stronger that you can use a lot less of it. And you can get it very easily in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

steel bar stock. It's about 3x heavier by volume than aluminum, if I recall correctly, but so much stronger that you can use a lot less of it. And you can get it very easily in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

:hmmyes:

Steel is usually cheaper than brass or aluminum.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What dictates the dimensions on these things, anyway? My inclination, if possible, would be steel bar stock. It's about 3x heavier by volume than aluminum, if I recall correctly, but so much stronger that you can use a lot less of it. And you can get it very easily in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

Mostly just the way the design shapes out, honestly. Like, what got me to this point was that I started designing the foot piece, got the ankle supports in place, added some angle steel on the sides of the tube steel, decided to use those as the mounting points for the foot plates I'd found, and then realized I'd need to mount the cable tendon somewhere, and subsequently realized that I left no space for one. Honestly, most of me wracking my brain has been trying to find readily-buyable things that fit the right shape and dimensions with minimal modifications. With the last effort, I did a bunch of cutting and drilling on some corner brackets I bought, and then it turned out I mathed the holes for the mount into the wrong spots, and also that the "correct" spot wasn't large enough to accommodate the nuts on the threaded rod. I did try swapping out the rod for different sizes, and none that were small enough to fit would also work with the other constraints I had backed myself into a corner with.

So that's why I'm thinking I need to redesign the foot pieces. Again. I'm not opposed to doing that, just, I didn't think it'd end up this much of a hassle when I started this step.

Hey, while I'm here, does anyone know if a thing exists that I can bolt into place in the pic below? I want something I can put into the holes on each side of the nut shown, and which also has a hole in the middle such that I can thread the threaded rod through it. Kinda like how the red lines show, but obviously it doesn't have to be exact, or even close to exact.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

stupid question, apologize in advance.

I have this little wall thing with stacked logs next to my driveway. The top one isn't really connected...not sure why not. What's the best way to bolt that guy down? Just the specific screws or whatever. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hot-dipped galvanized lag bolts is what I'd probably go for there. It's basically a giant screw with a hex head and wood-gripping threads. You'll need to drill a pilot hole for each one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Go through all of them.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
ideally you’d drill a 1/2” hole through all the Timbers and pound a 2-3’ section of rebar until it’s flush or so. Keeps all the Timbers together and anchors it to the ground. Lag bolt/screw will fasten them together but won’t anchor it to the ground, so theoretically not as good but for a short landscape wall like that it probably doesn’t matter

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You will probably also want a corded drill. A cordless one might not have enough umph to drill a hole that deep.

Also, those are called "landscape timbers". They last 10-15 years before they start rotting bad enough to not hold anything back anymore.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used 12" lag bolts with a pan head from Home Depot to assemble my wife's herb beds. They're only stacked four-high. I overlapped at the corners and running one of those lags through it (with a 20V Dewalt) was no problem at all. Some of them have outlasted the timber.

e: they look like these, but are 12" long.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/FastenMaster-0-x-4-in-Black-Ecoat-Hex-Head-Interior-Exterior-Structural-Wood-Screws-12-Count/3295032

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

lil poopendorfer posted:

ideally you’d drill a 1/2” hole through all the Timbers and pound a 2-3’ section of rebar until it’s flush or so. Keeps all the Timbers together and anchors it to the ground. Lag bolt/screw will fasten them together but won’t anchor it to the ground, so theoretically not as good but for a short landscape wall like that it probably doesn’t matter

I helped my dad do exactly this to build a wall of similar height about 30 years ago and it is still there. There's a slope above it and he had to dig the wall out at least once from soil flowing over it, but it isn't going anywhere.

Probably helps that he used honest to goodness railroad ties. Not timbers sized like ties. Railroad ties in all their creosotey glory.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I want to hire someone to build a pretend bird house to house an outdoor security camera, what am I google searching for? Is this something a handyman or a general contractor could do?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I want to hire someone to build a pretend bird house to house an outdoor security camera, what am I google searching for? Is this something a handyman or a general contractor could do?

Lol yeah a handyman or carpenter or anyone who does any wood working or has a shop/the tools.

Please do not call a general contractor to build a bird house.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Depending on what exactly you're trying to do you can get DYI birdhouse kits that are meant for kids so they're easy, or they make a lot of birdhouses that have cameras in them already for birdwatching.
Those ones are pretty obvious though so if you're trying to use it for security stuff you might need some modifications

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Have you considered that an actual bird might move into your birdhouse and block the camera?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Have you considered that an actual bird might move into your birdhouse and block the camera?

The plan is to use one of those "one way mirror" materials to cover the hole if need be but I don't think there would be enough room for any birbs around here to nest in it. Although it gives me the idea to maybe setup other real bird houses near it to help sell the illusion.

Opopanax posted:

Depending on what exactly you're trying to do you can get DYI birdhouse kits that are meant for kids so they're easy, or they make a lot of birdhouses that have cameras in them already for birdwatching.
Those ones are pretty obvious though so if you're trying to use it for security stuff you might need some modifications

I didn't happen to find anything suitable when I searched, I already own a spare outdoor camera that works with my existing ones that I keep indoor, I basically just want to camouflage it a little so from the street it isn't super noticeable.

The bird houses I found at like the dollar store didn't seem like the right size or like it would be possible to cut open without essentially destroying it.

The camera also has curved surfaces so I figure the best option might just be to pay someone; the idea in my head is it should fit in the bird house snuggly with the camera itself basically holding the weight of the wood with its base still screwed into the wall coming out of an opening at the back of the bird house. This way I can still freely point it where it needs to point.

From there something like a small lock and hinges so I can easily take the camera out to recharge it every couple of months.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing suspicious at all about a birdhouse with shiny mirror completely covering its doorway.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Nothing suspicious at all about a birdhouse with shiny mirror completely covering its doorway.

It isn't meant to hold up to close scrutiny.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the wire running out of it, and the way it swivels to follow you as you move, and the red dot it puts on your forehead...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I mean I would worry about it glinting sunlight and being very, very obvious, even from a casual observer. Just having the camera in there in the shadows with no mirror thingy would probably work better, would be my guess, but I bet there are better ways to hide an outdoor camera.

Anyway simple birdhouses are incredibly easy to build, as has been said just look for any for-kids wooden birdhouse kit of sufficient size. It will include pre-cut pieces and maybe even pilot holes. Go to any hardware store and buy a simple cabinet hinge for the roof. Buy a hole-saw bit and cut out a hole in the back wall big enough for camera mounting.

Is the camera waterproof-ish or at least outdoor rated? Birdhouses are not exactly 100% waterproof, they get moist inside.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh yeah its definitely outdoor rated. The plan is to stick under the overhang in the corner basically, my front door has one of those little metal roofs so it'd be in the corner of that pointed at the landing basically. The bird house bit is meant so anyone casually glancing up will just see "bird house".

Leperflesh posted:

Also the wire running out of it, and the way it swivels to follow you as you move, and the red dot it puts on your forehead...

I feel like the trap door and the giant Acme Anvil would be more noticable though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually you want people to notice the camera as a deterrent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So uh what exactly do you want this for?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

withak posted:

Usually you want people to notice the camera as a deterrent.

I feel like that would just result in it being stolen.

Opopanax posted:

So uh what exactly do you want this for?

It's to watch for package deliveries.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Semi related security question. How secure are security screws? Like if you're a thief a security screw bit would probably be the first thing you'd buy, right? Do they just deter opportunists?

But related to the birdhouse thing, security screws, or if you have access to the inside of the wall, carriage bolts and nuts, could probably prevent theft of the camera. Also it sounds like it will be up high?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

alnilam posted:

Semi related security question. How secure are security screws? Like if you're a thief a security screw bit would probably be the first thing you'd buy, right? Do they just deter opportunists?

They deter kids trying to vandalize things. Maybe.

Mostly they just make it a pain in the rear end for people who need to legitimately do work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like that would just result in it being stolen.

Sure cameras get stolen here and there or more likely some kid fucks with it but I don't know it seems like just mounting the camera is a much better solution than this birdhouse thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Dave posted:

Sure cameras get stolen here and there or more likely some kid fucks with it but I don't know it seems like just mounting the camera is a much better solution than this birdhouse thing.

The camera is still being mounted, but ideally with a wooden cover to make it look like a bird house to deter vandalism of the device.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't see why they would vandalize a camera but they wouldn't vandalize a birdhouse? You can just make a more secure housing or get one of those plastic covers for thermostats or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just point a second camera at the birdhouse

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

I don't see why they would vandalize a camera but they wouldn't vandalize a birdhouse? You can just make a more secure housing or get one of those plastic covers for thermostats or something.

What kind of monster would vandalize a home for birds?! :smith:

The thermostat cover is a good idea, would prevent someone from just taking the camera.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One thing to bear in mind is that if your camera has IR lights and an IR filter for daytime, putting something that's not IR transparent in front of it will mess up the IR night vision. When I stuck a camera to the inside of a window at night I'd just get a reflection since glass mostly reflects IR wavelengths. This is mostly in reference to the idea of a one way mirror kind of cover for the opening.

There are a lot of bird house disguises for Ring/Wyze/Blink cameras online. I don't like some of those companies due to the spying but they might be useful for another camera if you check the sizes.

Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Stick-Up-Cam-Birdhouse/dp/B092DYNR29

Lots of them on etsy but some are just bird houses with cameras for spying on birds so you have to check which kind you're looking at: https://www.etsy.com/market/camera_birdhouse

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just mount the camera outside, OP. I would wager that there are vastly fewer thieves/vandals in your neighborhood than you think there are.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sorry to cross post from the plumbing thread, but this leak is just getting worse, cold water is leaking now, and the only shutoff is the one out in the yard so I need to fix it fast.

quote:

(Yes, I'm going to scrub that crap off the tub, but I want to ask this before I forget). Hot water runs constantly from the tub, and after taking the hot water faucet knob off, this is what's under it. Going by the drain plug toggle, it's a Kohler fixture, probably original to the house from the early '90s, maybe late '90s.

It's a one-piece shower and can't be accessed from the other side of the wall without ripping apart kitchen cabinets. I'm guessing that if I use vise grips on the end where it's scuffed up or a strap wrench on the larger part, I can unscrew it, and I'm hoping to find typical valve guts inside. It doesn't look like there was ever a nut to put a wrench on. A couple of mechanical geniuses "tightened it down" a few times and said it just needs to be replaced (one of these handy individuals also turned a car port into an extra room and attached the framed walls to the concrete with nothing but caulk, for an idea of the quality workmanship we're dealing with).

Someone please tell me to just unscrew it and take whatever comes out to Lowes.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 17, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know that exact model but it looks like a fairly standard cartridge. If you take that picture to a plumbing place they should have what you need and can tell you how to remove it properly

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Just mount the camera outside, OP. I would wager that there are vastly fewer thieves/vandals in your neighborhood than you think there are.

A lot of my packages have been stolen. :smith:

I had my crocs stolen even.

Rexxed posted:

One thing to bear in mind is that if your camera has IR lights and an IR filter for daytime, putting something that's not IR transparent in front of it will mess up the IR night vision. When I stuck a camera to the inside of a window at night I'd just get a reflection since glass mostly reflects IR wavelengths. This is mostly in reference to the idea of a one way mirror kind of cover for the opening.

There are a lot of bird house disguises for Ring/Wyze/Blink cameras online. I don't like some of those companies due to the spying but they might be useful for another camera if you check the sizes.

Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Stick-Up-Cam-Birdhouse/dp/B092DYNR29

Lots of them on etsy but some are just bird houses with cameras for spying on birds so you have to check which kind you're looking at: https://www.etsy.com/market/camera_birdhouse

Thanks, this is a good idea, albeit I'm in Canada so maybe the choices aren't as good, but I'll take a look!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You might better off with some kind of lock box for packages instead of a camera

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I don't know that exact model but it looks like a fairly standard cartridge. If you take that picture to a plumbing place they should have what you need and can tell you how to remove it properly

This is what's behind it. Two rubber seats with springs behind them. Going to try a plumbing supply place in the morning, the ones they have at Lowes are way bigger.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Opopanax posted:

You might better off with some kind of lock box for packages instead of a camera

I don't think that works, how is the delivery person supposed to get the key? This problem got a little more of my attention largely because the post office suddenly decided some packages it just wouldn't accept, so I can't just have them act as my drop off point and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Having a hidden camera won't prevent your packages from being stolen. Having a visible and obvious camera might.

In both cases, you're probably not getting your packages back. A smart porch pirate will fence them before they get caught. So now maybe you have video to give the police, but even if they catch the thief the packages are gone.

A deterrent is your best bet, and that's a visible camera. Best case it deters theft, worst case it's no different from a hidden camera.

Well, I guess worst case is they steal the camera too... but now they're turning a crime of opportunity in to a more involved and time consuming process (edit: assuming you have the camera secured properly and not just sitting on a shelf), and if you have remote storage then you still get video of them.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 17, 2023