Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

My paint set is like 2/3 reaper thanks to their bones kickstarters that I can’t stop buying in to.

Yeah, most of my paint is reaper, though I just bought all of the Vallejo Xpress contrast/speed paints.

Just did these other two tonight.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1635819538485747713

Edit:
The red on the two new ones was leftover on the wet palette from yesterday. Came out a lot shinier than the orig dude on the right.
Seems like the Xpress magic goes off overnight

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Seems like a lot of paints go glossy as the percentage of medium drops. I wish there were a way to keep the paint from taking on water overnight on the wet palette.

Feel finished enough with Mr. Zagstrukk. I need to work on some troops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ravendas posted:

Yeah, most of my paint is reaper, though I just bought all of the Vallejo Xpress contrast/speed paints.

After my recent experience with the Vallejo Air metallics, I plan to go pick up a bunch of those in various colors ASAP. So nice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So for my next effort, I decided the Mystic Circle bones set would be an easy, large grab. I was gonna do the standing stones as generic limestone or granite or something, but then I was like, what if obsidian? So I primed them with a real glossy black and, well…

That’s a piece of actual obsidian in the top left there for comparison.

I think this might be amazing and definitely different from all the other takes I’ve seen on this set. I’ll weather them up a bit and maybe some other stuff, wondering about some kind of glow tinting from the bottoms of the stones? Will have to experiment a bit.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I’d like to switch out of Citadel paints but feel trapped by their comparative easy sourcing. Are Duncan’s paints any good?

The Duncan paints are good! I really like their metallics especially. However the caveats are their bottles are dogshit and feel much lower quality than the cheapest rebottling kit you'll find on ebay and they are very expensive for volume. I think in the UK at least citadel is cheaper per ml.

I think if you have any particular go to citadel paints its almost worth it to swap over to the duncan version just for the quality bump. Like I just picked up the rhinox hide equivalent as my rhinox hide is almost out.

But if you're just happy with a brand's own take on colors I don't think they're that much better for the price over ranges like Pro Acryl, AK gen 3, Scale 75, or Vallejo.

Finding the cleaner is really the hard part! in the UK at least its next to impossible to source locally and by the time you're shipping it from overseas its just cheaper to buy the extra thin glue. Which really isn't too expensive to begin with and a bottle will last me a year or so.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I wanted to switch over to Duncan paints too but what stopped that for me is availability.

Where I live it's already a crapshoot if I can get non citadel paints and outside the kickstarters the two thin coats paints still haven't left the UK. I don't want to buy into these paints and then not have the ability to get any more.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Paragon8 posted:

Finding the cleaner is really the hard part! in the UK at least its next to impossible to source locally and by the time you're shipping it from overseas its just cheaper to buy the extra thin glue. Which really isn't too expensive to begin with and a bottle will last me a year or so.

You can also just buy bottles (and cans) of plastic weld. They don't come with the nice little brush bottles though.
https://lustercraft.com/product/scigrip-weld-on-2354-abs-and-styrene-solvent-cement/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

You can also just buy bottles (and cans) of plastic weld. They don't come with the nice little brush bottles though.
https://lustercraft.com/product/scigrip-weld-on-2354-abs-and-styrene-solvent-cement/

ooh that's a good tip!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Considering that the Two Thin Coats paints are manufactured by six dudes with almost zero automation the poor availability doesn't surprise me. I think they were way, way more successful than they anticipated and are struggling to upscale.

https://youtu.be/lSzNIGeDjLo

Each bottle ís filled by hand and the paint is mixed in a big bucket with a hand drill :psyduck:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Geisladisk posted:

Considering that the Two Thin Coats paints are manufactured by six dudes with almost zero automation the poor availability doesn't surprise me. I think they were way, way more successful than they anticipated and are struggling to upscale.

https://youtu.be/lSzNIGeDjLo

Each bottle ís filled by hand and the paint is mixed in a big bucket with a hand drill :psyduck:

as a sidebar to that, MS Paints (who did the above video) is a great channel for a very different take on painting. The host, Dave, has multiple sclerosis and thus a big part of what he is doing is coming up with ways that he can future-proof his painting and finding approaches to painting that don't depend on precise motor control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TU0oN25gA

He also did one of the best videos I've seen on the relationship betwen large Youtube wargaming channels and Games Workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsE2iUy-YM

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Lamuella posted:

as a sidebar to that, MS Paints (who did the above video) is a great channel for a very different take on painting. The host, Dave, has multiple sclerosis and thus a big part of what he is doing is coming up with ways that he can future-proof his painting and finding approaches to painting that don't depend on precise motor control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TU0oN25gA

He also did one of the best videos I've seen on the relationship betwen large Youtube wargaming channels and Games Workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsE2iUy-YM

Dave is also genuinely funny, (even when he's doing stupid bits with a puppet) unlike most the other youtube doofuses,

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Dave is also genuinely funny, (even when he's doing stupid bits with a puppet) unlike most the other youtube doofuses,

Seconding this, he's one of the few YT channels (painting or otherwise) that manages to be both informative and funny, and the fact he does this with an eye towards helping people with physical disabilities who might otherwise not give painting minis a try is a very cool bonus.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya MS Paints is a cool dude and a good hobby channel.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
MS Paints also had a pretty good interview on The Painting Phase, which is the formerly GW Peachy’s channel.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
At this point how are people feeling about xpress paints VS speedpaints? I'm trying to get into those types of paints and I plan to either get the xpress paint complete box or spend a bit more and get the speedpaint mega set 2.0

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

can anyone direct me to a tutorial for paining NMM on a flat surface?
I'm doing a building for a piece of terrain and I want to paint the windows like they're reflective glass. I know I've seen instructions for this before but the only thing I can find right now is how to paint NMM armor and such.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

MS Paints also had a pretty good interview on The Painting Phase, which is the formerly GW Peachy’s channel.

Painting Phase is pretty much my favorite hobby podcast. Usually when people talk about GW I kind of tune out, but when they talk GW on Painting Phase my ears always perk up.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lucinice posted:

At this point how are people feeling about xpress paints VS speedpaints? I'm trying to get into those types of paints and I plan to either get the xpress paint complete box or spend a bit more and get the speedpaint mega set 2.0

Have heard both suffer from slight reactivation issues. If that is going to be a hard stop I would get a few of each to test.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So I tried some Baal Red Citadel Contrast to Compare to Blood Red Speed Paint.

It's a nice candy coat red but it just seems like a standard base coat to me, it doesn't have the deep shading the speed paint does.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

So for my next effort, I decided the Mystic Circle bones set would be an easy, large grab. I was gonna do the standing stones as generic limestone or granite or something, but then I was like, what if obsidian? So I primed them with a real glossy black and, well…

That’s a piece of actual obsidian in the top left there for comparison.

I think this might be amazing and definitely different from all the other takes I’ve seen on this set. I’ll weather them up a bit and maybe some other stuff, wondering about some kind of glow tinting from the bottoms of the stones? Will have to experiment a bit.

I think I like where this is headed. Spent some time experimenting tonight with a few things.

From up high, normal table top viewing angle, they look pretty much plain shiny black, like the chunk of obsidian I compared them to before. Maybe a faint tint in places:

But from down low, or looking straight on a face with the light behind you, or a precious few other angles, they absolutely light up and look like they’re made of I-don’t-know-what, oil or something? And of course the effect varies continually based on viewing/lighting angle.

I’m going to experiment a bit more with topcoats and potentially weathering them a bit in places so they’re not so clean and perfect, but I think it’ll be an interesting, exotic base to work from.

This was achieved by way of two airbrush applications, one for each of these:

First the black, which is awful for normal work, as it tends to dry with a lot of gloss. But for putting under anything that will be shiny, metallic, iridescent, or pearlescent, it’s amazing. Plus it’s cheap and ready to go!

Then the color shift stuff. It comes absolutely thick as tar and just transferring any to a dropper bottle for thinning to airbrush consistency was a chore. I have some other brands that provide a similar effect, they weren’t near as bad, but I couldn’t find them this time, so I grabbed this instead. In this application, the blue ends up nonexistent, which is good.

Both came from hobby lobby, which is less than ideal, but there it is.

e: If anyone has any tips or ideas how I might indicate some weathering on these without completely ruining the current effect but also without it looking out of place, I’m all ears. No clue how I’m going to accomplish that.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Have heard both suffer from slight reactivation issues. If that is going to be a hard stop I would get a few of each to test.

Gen 1 speedpaints had activation issues until fully cured (which could take days). Gen 2 are much better in this regard.

Some painters like Dana Howl have used the reactivation intentionally as a blending effect if that has any interest for you.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bad Munki posted:

[rad standing stones]

e: If anyone has any tips or ideas how I might indicate some weathering on these without completely ruining the current effect but also without it looking out of place, I’m all ears. No clue how I’m going to accomplish that.

YMMV, of course, but my gut instinct was to get some pigments on them near the base, both to anchor them to the ground portion of your circle and to make the top parts look completely detatched and otherworldly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

grassy gnoll posted:

YMMV, of course, but my gut instinct was to get some pigments on them near the base, both to anchor them to the ground portion of your circle and to make the top parts look completely detatched and otherworldly.

Oooh, I like the idea. Maybe something like this?

Reaper stone grey air brushed on for a really nice gradient, and desert stone dry brushed for the weathering.

I really love it! In person, that shimmery purple black has some real depth to it, and the matte stone tones really accentuate that at the boundary, makes them seem almost translucent. Makes it look much more like the stones were placed and something was done to them, rather than them being imported as-is.

Needed to put the grey on a bit thicker at the bottom to really mask the glass, but that’s easy to adjust.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 17, 2023

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
https://www.amazon.ca/Timbertech-Ai...=A1LP8MMEJ2WL23

If it's good enough for Marco it's good enough for me right?

https://youtu.be/NPhf2PW5lu4

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lucinice posted:

I started using Vallejo Xpress, my first contrast paints. I don't notice reactivation. I think the outcomes are pretty good, considering I never painted many minis and these are the first I've done in 6+ months I think.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1636197928116035584?s=20

Everything but the metals are Xpress here. Leather, wood, red boots and tops, and skin are four different Vallejo Xpress colors, single coats each over a brown/tan drybrushed undercoat. No washes or anything applied over them afterwards either, that's just how they look after a single pass.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the leather and red but feel the skin would look better with layering

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Contrast painted skin pops so much more if you do a little touch up highlighting afterward. The tricky part is finding matching colors and making the highlights subtle.

But to get it out and on the table, a single coat of contrast is so much faster than layering.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bad Munki posted:

Oooh, I like the idea. Maybe something like this?

Reaper stone grey air brushed on for a really nice gradient, and desert stone dry brushed for the weathering.

I really love it! In person, that shimmery purple black has some real depth to it, and the matte stone tones really accentuate that at the boundary, makes them seem almost translucent. Makes it look much more like the stones were placed and something was done to them, rather than them being imported as-is.

Needed to put the grey on a bit thicker at the bottom to really mask the glass, but that’s easy to adjust.

Very much like that. That looks extremely sweet.

The only thing I might change is how far up you go on the rocks. The further up, the shorter they'll look - we've all seen stuff left outside, and subconsciously know dirt will only creep up something so far from mud spatter, wind, bears, etc. If you want them to look like megaliths, I'd stop somewhere in the bottom quarter.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

I like the leather and red but feel the skin would look better with layering

I don't have time for layering :)

I want finished, playable and decent, and a single coat of contrast gets me all of that. For a new painter that just wants results, contrast is great.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

grassy gnoll posted:

Very much like that. That looks extremely sweet.

The only thing I might change is how far up you go on the rocks. The further up, the shorter they'll look - we've all seen stuff left outside, and subconsciously know dirt will only creep up something so far from mud spatter, wind, bears, etc. If you want them to look like megaliths, I'd stop somewhere in the bottom quarter.

Hmm. My thought was less that it was dirt creeping up the stone, and more that the conversion hadn’t made it all the way down, like the ground acted as a heat sink for whatever process took place or is still active. I’ll definitely continue to experiment with it, though.

But either way, I love the suggestion and results, so thanks :)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Speaking of reactivation, Midwinter Minis has a good video about using the reactivation flaw of gen 1 AP speedpaints as a technique for doing weathering on vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073PjH60v_I

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

I use a lower tier Timbertech compressor and it works fine. It came in a kit with an airbrush that also works very well. I've upgraded the airbrush since but still using the compressor.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

yep that looks like the standard mass produced tank compressor sold under a ton of names. i'd guess at least half of the people who have airbrushes here have used that tank at some point, it's great.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Another addition to my Warmaster Lizardmans army is complete.

Pretty much all contrast paints and they look good en masse.
I'm happy to be done with all these guys and moving on to dwarves.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Good god Vallejo’s Air line is just so upsettingly good. I’d been using the Air metallics and it was obvious they’re god-tier but I’d been using my regular paints thinned for normal stuff and it was fine, but I’d still get grain in my gradients. Grabbed a couple normal Air colors today and there’s just…nothing? It’s flawlessly smooth? The fade is perfect, zero grain, perfect coverage, just drop some paint in the cup and go.

Someone talk me down from blowing like two hundred bucks on a bunch of tiny bottles of paint.

What’s the deal with their Game line? It looks like they have matching tones in game color/game air, is that about the long and short of it?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Sorry but I'm going to talk you into blowing even more money on those paints because they are that good.
Get it, go get it. Order them right now and revel in quality materials.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Actually don't blow $200, but maybe consider blowing $50

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fiddling around with camo on my Rangers, hoping to dial in the exact pattern I wanna use. It's fun to randomly draw lines though!

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Eej posted:

Fiddling around with camo on my Rangers, hoping to dial in the exact pattern I wanna use. It's fun to randomly draw lines though!

I like the idea you're working with there. Like a mix between some Native American blanket patterns and dazzle camo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I love model air silver for highlighting metallics. There's nothing quite like it that I've seen.