Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
miss the combat not the community, after 10k hours in i still find myself wanting to come back and play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Another crappy crown crate twitch drop, another handful of gems when I come back in half a year.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Some jerk from the fighter's guild keeps running after me with an "important mission for you comrade" but I am too busy sewing buttons on, thank you.

It's been years and I still have it as a mark of pride that i'll never answer her frantic pleas to donate some of my time to work for the fighter's guild. Still, she keeps calling for me, stalking me in multiple cities.

It's like a donation service. You gave money once and now they pester you forever. I just wanted the free skill tree, not the obligation of having my time coveted by a group of Daedra haters. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 18, 2023

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

One of the many quality of life things I would like to see in this game is an option for a "Guided Story Progression Mode" where you have to finish the various stories/DLCs/expansions in order. The quest givers that normally yell at you all the time would be hidden until you had reached that point in the story progression. At the very least it would be a nice option for bank alts, who I will never do any questing with, to not have quest givers constantly screaming at them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sounds like what you're really looking for is a No Solicitation button

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

MH Knights posted:

One of the many quality of life things I would like to see in this game is an option for a "Guided Story Progression Mode" where you have to finish the various stories/DLCs/expansions in order. The quest givers that normally yell at you all the time would be hidden until you had reached that point in the story progression. At the very least it would be a nice option for bank alts, who I will never do any questing with, to not have quest givers constantly screaming at them.

I like this idea but I seriously think there isn't an order you can do things in that makes sense, Sai Sahan is Schrodinger's Dragonguard, seems to be both alive and missing at the same time no matter how I thread the needle

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

I like this idea but I seriously think there isn't an order you can do things in that makes sense, Sai Sahan is Schrodinger's Dragonguard, seems to be both alive and missing at the same time no matter how I thread the needle

Yeah, Lyris is currently trapped in Coldharbour and in the basement of the fighters guild at the same time on this character. I also read in the main quest if you sacrifice her at the end, she's still around for the dlc stuff

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

When does Sai go missing? Did you sacrifice him instead of the Prophet at the end of the main quest? Otherwise he pops in and out of the story as much as any of the other "major" characters.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

MH Knights posted:

When does Sai go missing? Did you sacrifice him instead of the Prophet at the end of the main quest? Otherwise he pops in and out of the story as much as any of the other "major" characters.

No I had to go rescue him from coldharbour earlier in the story, even though he was at the same time just chilling out in some valley I could take random horses to at any time, we fought a dragon together, he seemed fine, then I went and rescued him from blue-hell where he had been the whole time I guess?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always bounce off of ESO because of the combat, but I realized I always try to play melee. How is magic combat in this game? I wouldn't mind trying out a wizard.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

LuckyCat posted:

I always bounce off of ESO because of the combat, but I realized I always try to play melee. How is magic combat in this game? I wouldn't mind trying out a wizard.
Fundamentally the combat is the same, but if you're range (magic or bow), you get a lot more opportunity for movement and can see more than a boss's butt. I definitely enjoy range much more than melee. Certain aspects play quite differently depending on class too. So I guess it depends on what you disliked about the combat.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

LuckyCat posted:

Sorcerer is top tier, so no worries there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Melee is terrible. Sorcerer/Necro ftw

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started a necro and am enjoying it much more than I ever have so far. Been needing a weekend at home for a while, so this is the agenda!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

I started a necro and am enjoying it much more than I ever have so far. Been needing a weekend at home for a while, so this is the agenda!

Necromancer is indeed very satisfying, I highly recommend Glacial Colossus as an archer with Bombard and the Hrothgar's Chill set. Mows through crowds.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Enjoying the combat a lot more on the Necro class, and the questing in general. I'm following a "beginner" Necro guide that seems pretty solid. Other than having fun, what should my "goals" be? I feel a little lost in the sense that, I see a quest and I grab it and run for it until I see another quest and rinse and repeat. I feel like I'm just running around the world with no direction doing random quests. Is that about right, or should I be working toward something?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

LuckyCat posted:

Enjoying the combat a lot more on the Necro class, and the questing in general. I'm following a "beginner" Necro guide that seems pretty solid. Other than having fun, what should my "goals" be? I feel a little lost in the sense that, I see a quest and I grab it and run for it until I see another quest and rinse and repeat. I feel like I'm just running around the world with no direction doing random quests. Is that about right, or should I be working toward something?

You’re doing it right.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

If having a cohesive story is important to you, keep an eye out for the main story quests. They have a different quest icon on the map and in the log:

Do note that the main game and each expansion have their own storyline quests, which usually lead into each other if you do them in order. There’s a bunch of guides online if that’s what you want to do, just google “ESO content order” or something similar.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

LuckyCat posted:

All I can advise is take it easy and do whatever you want. I had this mindset of trying to get to the next zone asap for some reason but finally broke myself and now just enjoy completing each areas map as much as I can. The public dungeons can be done solo once you are cp160, maybe lower depending on class.
So how the main quest works is as you follow along your alliances quest line, a new quest unlocks as you finish each zone's main story. The fighters guild and mages guild story's are the same way. So to advance the Soul Shriven in Coldharbour quests, you need to do your alliances stuff. It's worth it for the skill points you get from them anyways.
Do the delves in each area too, they're super easy and quick and each has a skyshard. Always be getting those free skill points!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Another thing that makes ESO great is there's stuff hidden all over the place. I liked FF14 but it doesn't have ESO's secrets. There's lorebooks atop ruined towers, chests hidden by the riverside, crafting recipes in backpacks at campsites. It really rewards you for poking around and seeing what's up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The main thing from ESO I'd like brought over to FF14 is tokenized logins through my Steam account.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

super sweet best pal posted:

The main thing from ESO I'd like brought over to FF14 is tokenized logins through my Steam account.
What do you mean by this? If you buy it on steam you don't need to enter your password.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm still playing this a couple of weeks later, which means it actually has staying power beyond my MMO indecisiveness. I do have a few questions if anyone could help answer.

1) In build guides it shows best in slot or recommended items- if I do the content or receive the weapon/armor before level 50, how do I get it later at level 50? (Does this question even make sense?)

2) For leveling skills and skill lines, is it just based on having them slotted or does it level based on how much you use the skill?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

LuckyCat posted:

I'm still playing this a couple of weeks later, which means it actually has staying power beyond my MMO indecisiveness. I do have a few questions if anyone could help answer.

1) In build guides it shows best in slot or recommended items- if I do the content or receive the weapon/armor before level 50, how do I get it later at level 50? (Does this question even make sense?)

2) For leveling skills and skill lines, is it just based on having them slotted or does it level based on how much you use the skill?

1) Couple options here. Good news is no quest rewards are unique. Any set items you receive from quest rewards will also drop randomly from that area’s overland content. Generally:

Delve bosses drop a waist, foot, or unique item piece.
Overland bosses drop a head, chest, leg, weapon, or unique item piece.
Public dungeon bosses drop a shoulder, hand, weapon, or unique item piece.
Chests at Dark Anchors drop a jewelry set piece.
Treasure chests have a chance to grant any set piece that can drop in that zone; the chance is increased by having the Treasure Hunter champion perk.

For dungeon gear, you can just keep running the sane dungeon and it’ll keep dropping.

Additionally, any time you bind a set or Mythic item to your account, whether by using it, selling to a vendor, destroying or deconstructing, it gets added to your Collections tab. Once it’s there, you can reconstruct it at a Transmute Station at any time for a variable cost of transmute crystals, which mainly drop from Undaunted pledges, veteran dungeons and arenas, or pvp. Endgame stuff.

2) All that matters is that it’s slotted, XP gain is not based on how much you use it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you respec a character or have multiple specs? I'm a level 37 warden and I have been leveling DPS skills and 2hs + bow. If I want to try out healing and maybe level up restoration staff, do I just need to make an alt?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can keep leveling different weapon and armour lines no problem and can get an your points back by coughing up gold to a statue of mara or something

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think if you were to get every single available skill point in the game you can have just shy of 500 skill points on a single character between sky shards, quest rewards, etc

that being said, you can fully respec your skill points and/or skill morphs either fully or individually for a cheap gold price at the shrines of the divines which are present in all 3 alliance capitals as well as Vivec City

You can also grab the free Armory station from the crown store and save a blank loadout in one slot, which acts like a free respec whenever you swap to it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mover posted:

You can also grab the free Armory station from the crown store and save a blank loadout in one slot, which acts like a free respec whenever you swap to it!

..oh that's clever

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anything not chosen at character creation (class/race/alliance/appearance/character name) can be changed in game, either for free or for a small amount of gold.

race/alliance/appearance/character name can be changed with relatively expensive crown items. Class can't be changed at all.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I was interested in possibly playing around in this again (last played it like 7-8 years ago) and even though I saw there is an expansion coming out soon I also noticed the High Isle Collection on sale for like $14 and the 'collector's edition' at $20. Is the stuff you get with the CE worth the extra $6? I read something about how you get stuff from the old CEs too but not everything so it's a little confusing. Is it even worth considering or better to just wait for the expansion?

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017
UESP has the details on what is in each pack but you don't get the preorder bonuses unless you buy the much more expensive crown star version. There is probably something in there you would enjoy so I would recommend spending the extra $6 if you are interested in cosmetics.
You also have the option of just subscribing to eso plus which gives you access to everything but high isle, and high isle will get added to ESO plus when necrom comes out. This includes all the zone/dungeon dlcs that aren't included in the collection and the craft bag which is a requirement for reasonable inventory management.
There is a massive amount of content to get through so I wouldn't worry about getting necrom right away.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is it even worth considering or better to just wait for the expansion?
very much worth considering.
Buying the all chapters version of the new expansion: 59.99 or 79.99(CE)
vs
Buying HI 14 or 20(CE)
+Upgrade Necrom version 39.99 or 49.99(CE)
Total: 54 or 60(CE)

So even if you wanted to buy the new expansion you'd be better off buying the HI collection and buying the Necrom upgrade instead.
Buy high isle, see how it goes, buy necrom later if you want, its price can only go lower.

As for CE or not? Ehh, it's certainly a lot of varied cosmetics. If paying cash for cosmetics is your thing then yeah probably enough there to be worth $6. Nothing gameplay wise tho, so if you're not a pay for cosmetics person, then not worth it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hit level 50 and I'm not 100% sure what's next yet, but I started doing the Undaunted dailies. I eventually settled on a resto staff magwarden and group healing is a ton of fun. I've also noticed that it's easy to make 20-100k per dungeon because people are always paying $$ for tradeable loot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I ended up picking up the CE and for $20 I'm happy with it. Started a DE DK and a Khajit Warden. Is there any goon presence left in the game? I don't really remember the details of guild stuff in this game but I know it had something to do with trading/auction house activity.

e: goon not good

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 27, 2023

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
New loading screen wooo!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hector Delgado posted:

New loading screen wooo!

I preordered the new expansion, and was hoping to do the starting quest and poo poo but when I go to get the new DLC dungeons and everything it shows I have to pay crowns. If I purchase it will it just give it to me without charging? Anyone know? I suppose I could try but if it does charge me, I have to deal with customer service and all that poo poo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

I preordered the new expansion, and was hoping to do the starting quest and poo poo but when I go to get the new DLC dungeons and everything it shows I have to pay crowns. If I purchase it will it just give it to me without charging? Anyone know? I suppose I could try but if it does charge me, I have to deal with customer service and all that poo poo.
dungeons aren't part of the expansion. They're the "intro" to the story, but they're a separate DLC you either buy with crowns or access with ESO+.
There will be an accessible narrative quest prologue at some point in the next month probably.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

You should get a confirmation prompt with the price and your current balance if you click purchase on anything in the store. Perhaps it doesn't give you access until the expansion is actually out? And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see Scribes of Fate listed among the Necrom pre-order bonuses?

e:f,b.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Aha. okay, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So there is a jester event going on which has a ‘hide shoulder pad’ option as a prize for your whole account that is very easy to get. May be worth picking up even if you are on a break.