Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Anowon/Sneak Attack used to be the budget pick for a precon that can punch above its weight, not sure if that’s still the case or if something newer has taken its spot. There’s not a lot really valuable in there, it’s just got a better curve and is more disruptive than most precons. It wants to play against decks with good reanimation targets cause you’re never gonna mill the board out.

Phantom Premonition uh, has 100 cards in it! I think it’s got potential as a UW flicker deck with Brago in the command zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I didn't look at the list very hard but it was unclear to me what it's trying to do lol. Foretell isn't the worst mechanic I ever heard of but seems like there's a reason you basically never see them.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lathril is king poo poo of precon mountain, and only really requires like 5 or 6 card swaps (not including lands) to be bonkers (mobilize/vitalize/isochron scepter/bolas' citadel/priest of titania/?)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I didn't look at the list very hard but it was unclear to me what it's trying to do lol. Foretell isn't the worst mechanic I ever heard of but seems like there's a reason you basically never see them.

The mechanic is fine and fun, but most of the cards were just a bit underpowered.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Foretell is a lot like morph where there just aren't enough decently costed cards with it for it to ever matter as a hidden information mechanic in an eternal format and also there just aren't really any upsides to playing the cards with it over the normal versions of those effects.

It was cool in limited and standard though.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Silhouette posted:

Lathril is king poo poo of precon mountain, and only really requires like 5 or 6 card swaps (not including lands) to be bonkers (mobilize/vitalize/isochron scepter/bolas' citadel/priest of titania/?)

any chance you have a list (including some modest land pickups) you could share? I am fairly new and would like to be able to compete at some of the more 'serious' tables where people are popping off urza and whatnot

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nah, but the deck basically builds itself around Lathril's second ability and being able to untap all your elves to dome everyone for 10 multiple times, and with Bolas Citadel you can then just sac 10 elves for 10 more damage, and if you have something that untaps it, do it again. You can probably toss in Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Llanowar Druid if you want to get cute with it

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

1024x768 posted:

any chance you have a list (including some modest land pickups) you could share? I am fairly new and would like to be able to compete at some of the more 'serious' tables where people are popping off urza and whatnot

Here's my list that from cards I had on hand. It's purposely not fully optimized because I only have one copy of some cards that would really put it over the top and I wanted a deck that fit between my higher and lower power decks.

For lands, llanowar waste and woodland cemetery just saw reprints so they are cheap at the moment. Unclaimed territory and secluded courtyard are good for tribal decks. Undergrowth stadium is a little pricier than deathcap glade and will both come in untapped 95% of the time. Darkbore pathway is another option. I have necroblossom snarl just because I had one on hand. Same with verdant catacombs.

With the number of mana dorks twilight mire quality goes up a bit. Tainted forest is an option but is more consistent fixing in a black deck splashing green rather than a green deck splashing black.

Rogues passage will allow lathril to actually get in a do damage.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

my Ivy deck just absolutely whipped rear end last night. 6 of us, triple two headed giant. buddy of mine playing Ivy carried his team since his partner got land boned, and it really ended up being 4v1 and Ivy still took it handily

I feel pretty proud, especially cause I wasn't piloting her :gary:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else still waiting for their shipping email for the Prof's deckbox? I just got an update email saying that fulfillment is starting in Australia and Asia regions but I still haven't heard anything regarding my US shipping.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Framboise posted:

Is anyone else still waiting for their shipping email for the Prof's deckbox? I just got an update email saying that fulfillment is starting in Australia and Asia regions but I still haven't heard anything regarding my US shipping.

I haven't heard anything in the US yet either.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Same.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Framboise posted:

Just got my notification this week and it should be showing up Saturday. It'll come direct from miniature market.

Edit: in the US

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My friends have gotten back into Commander after a long gap, and have been cooking up some fairly strong decks (Usually 3-4 player games). I remembered an old Toshimopost about a few lesser-used strong commanders, and started to cook up a Phenax deck, but I'm stalling out at the final few cuts/replacements:

Deck here. Current wincons:Aberration, Eater, Duskmantle w/Mindcrank or Maddening Cacophony, Syr Konrad value with or without Mindcrank.

Don't really want to put in Oracle/LabMan/Doomsday so I guess I'm not going to hit cEDH power, and Psychic Surgery is a vanity card I put in every blue deck I build.

Any advice/assistance would be great.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Archenteron posted:

My friends have gotten back into Commander after a long gap, and have been cooking up some fairly strong decks (Usually 3-4 player games). I remembered an old Toshimopost about a few lesser-used strong commanders, and started to cook up a Phenax deck, but I'm stalling out at the final few cuts/replacements:

Deck here. Current wincons:Aberration, Eater, Duskmantle w/Mindcrank or Maddening Cacophony, Syr Konrad value with or without Mindcrank.

Don't really want to put in Oracle/LabMan/Doomsday so I guess I'm not going to hit cEDH power, and Psychic Surgery is a vanity card I put in every blue deck I build.

Any advice/assistance would be great.

Not crazy about Psychic Surgery. Maybe Bloodchief's Ascension to go with the Mindcrank?

E: If Surgery is your pet card then maybe replacing Propaganda instead.

E2: Dimir Signet over Borderpost.

E3: Fellwar Stone over Cultivator's Caravan. You can probably cut Mnemonic Wall, Arcane Denial, and two lands.

E4: You probably want The Scarab God in the deck.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2023

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Johnny Truant posted:

my Ivy deck just absolutely whipped rear end last night. 6 of us, triple two headed giant. buddy of mine playing Ivy carried his team since his partner got land boned, and it really ended up being 4v1 and Ivy still took it handily

I feel pretty proud, especially cause I wasn't piloting her :gary:

lmao

been thinking about building ivy -- how do you keep track of all the copies of stuff? seems like a total nightmare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have played against enough Ivy's to know it's such a complete nightmare I have repeatedly resisted temptation to build one myself. Better have a bigass playspace and a shitload of trinkets that will still make your board state unclear to everybody

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao

been thinking about building ivy -- how do you keep track of all the copies of stuff? seems like a total nightmare.

Dry erase tokens like Infinitokens

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao

MPC a bunch of versions of the copiable things in your deck.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

xK1 posted:

I haven't heard anything in the US yet either.

Same :cry:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This, I just keep a list of copied stuff on her

That simic bullshit, always tricky to keep track of :getin:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I use sticky notes and a pen, personally.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey y’all - I’ve got another fun budget “precon” brew up today. This one’s a $45 budget Dragon Tribal deck perfect for beginners or veterans alike.

Toss a view to your goon here:

https://youtu.be/kY4W6gdIbHQ

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

I use sticky notes and a pen, personally.

The grossest game I played with Ivy I needed two tokens for lists of copied auras, per Ivy, and I had 4 of her out :yaycat:

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.
Here is the deck I've been tuning for a while. The goal is to flood the battlefield with golems by blinking Ich-Tekik and the various splicers, put lots of counters on them by sacrificing treasures/clues/food, then roll over the rest of the table. It's scary when it fires and a lot of fun to play. It can be a little slow to start, particularly if I don't draw any ramp in my opening hand. I'm also concerned that there isn't enough protection for my board, leaving me vulnerable to sweepers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I am also still waiting for my Prof deckbox shipping notification.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
yeah haven't received anything regarding that so i guess im unlucky and im one of the later waves.

sucks poo poo. remember i wanted to get one of the signed ones and couldn't get it because the site ate poo poo.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

LachlanJ posted:

The goal is to flood the battlefield with golems by blinking Ich-Tekik and the various splicers

Ruxa, Patient Professor would make the golems a fair bit scarier. Leonin Abunas would give a bit more protection from spot removal. Starlight Spectacular can be ridiculous in any go-wide token strategy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Alright, I've been enjoying playing this Korvold deck for a few weeks now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/mnej5S_hmUiFYJID3PwUBQ

I'm happy with the overall shell (doing derpy things with dragons and drawing a lot of cards with Korvold), but I'm thinking about cutting Phyrexian Altar, Doubling Season, and Parallel lives for some of the cards in my Considering. From the Considering list (or from your own suggestions), what would you swap in for those three cards?

E: The deck feels like it's at just the right power level for the LGS I play at. I'm just not entirely happy with the three cards I mentioned.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Batterypowered7 posted:

...I'm thinking about cutting Phyrexian Altar, Doubling Season, and Parallel lives for some of the cards in my Considering. From the Considering list (or from your own suggestions), what would you swap in for those three cards?

From your list, Decimate is pretty fun to cast.

For alternative suggestions, Cloakwood Hermit and Agent of the Shadow Thieves.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Decimate is fun to cast but is the example used for "a spell which targets must have legal targets to be cast" for a reason. It's going to end up stuck in the hand a lot.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Decimate is fun to cast but is the example used for "a spell which targets must have legal targets to be cast" for a reason. It's going to end up stuck in the hand a lot.

Which reminds me that Casualties of War exists, though it's six mana instead of four.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon, that video you posted on a relatively cheap dragon deck was great I kinda want to really build it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Balon, that video you posted on a relatively cheap dragon deck was great I kinda want to really build it.

Hell ya it’s super cheap too. I didn’t even include any of the shapeshifters that can slot in. Had lots of people ask me for dragons on a budget!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's a good thing in my book too. I don't hate the concept of shape shifters, especially in limited, but for commander tribal deck building, they're often too good and can replace an actual tribal card. It's a made up problem since nobody is forcing you to play shape shifters or optimal decks, and hell the smallest tribes probably can't function without em, but they always feel like interlopers in my decklists.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

That's a good thing in my book too. I don't hate the concept of shape shifters, especially in limited, but for commander tribal deck building, they're often too good and can replace an actual tribal card. It's a made up problem since nobody is forcing you to play shape shifters or optimal decks, and hell the smallest tribes probably can't function without em, but they always feel like interlopers in my decklists.

Nothing can stop me from drawing cat ears on my Taurean Mauler for my Rin and Seri deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LifeLynx posted:

Nothing can stop me from drawing cat ears on my Taurean Mauler for my Rin and Seri deck.

As god intended.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LifeLynx posted:

And no one would dare try

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That actually solves my problem with shapeshifter cards. I don't want to imagine your tribe I want to see it.

Also I played a Mauler today for a mystery booster sealed game and made it a wall because I wasn't going to block his juggernaut anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was pricing upgrades to Prosper and got kind of bummed about how basically everything is impulse draw (and a bit of Foretell and Rebound) because casting from exile is a comparatively new space. It started feeling a bit one-note.

Supposing I wanted to build something fun, relatively inexpensive, and a bit less "that guy" than my Talrand list for more casual tables, do you think I'd be better off looking into Toolbox Torre or Tatsunari Toad-Rider? (edit: I probably have more of a manabase for Tatsunari because I found the remains of my old Damia list, but if Toolbox is meaningfully cooler or cheaper, I'd still go that way.)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 19, 2023