Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I agree with the substance of your post but Jordan has never pretended to be anything but self interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hell a lot of all-time great athletes get to where they are because they're self-interested to the point of being sociopathic.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Oh man this really sucks.

This means that the bobcats could get wemby as a sweetener for the sale. This really fucks up my lottery fixing calculus

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

He was kinda not great for a stretch and I wouldn't go so far as to say he's BACK but Cam Payne is back and Doin' Stuff.

https://twitter.com/BALLYSPORTSAZ/status/1636557959634337794

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Intruder posted:

I agree with the substance of your post but Jordan has never pretended to be anything but self interested

I’m talking specifically about the time when he was playing for, I believe it was the wizards that the owner cried poor when talking to the players - I believe it was an attempt at union busting in some way - and Michael Jordan told him to either reach into his pockets and pay what the players were owed or sell the team. That or during his hof induction speech when he devoted specific time to calling out how the players produced the product and the owners should therefore, and happily, break out the pocketbooks to pay them what they are owed. Or the time he got pissed at Krause when he famously (and to be honest, correctly) said that players don’t win championships, organizations do, and held that grudge for decades as he kept arguing for player rights etc. and then he “allegedly” was pretty much the sole reason the 2011 lockout lasted as long as it did because he wanted to gently caress likeness royalties from the players in the CBA. He sold himself as a populist who was fixated on player rights up until the moment he owned the then-bobcats then immediately started betraying all of his supposed “ideals”.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I'd be interested in a NBA version of that NFLPA report that discussed the various amenities that teams offer or that teams charge for, and which ones probably charge players for meals and wi-fi and using the facilities in off season.

It wouldn't shock me if the Hornets were doing some/all of the above. The only time I've ever heard of a coach refusing a promotion because of something he saw up close.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
As a 90s kid, I can't deny Jordan is the goat on the court but I also remember how unnecessarily rear end in a top hat-ish he is. Most of my beef with Jordan is just him being an rear end and from NC. So everyone down here has heard a "jordan did some jerk poo poo" story from multiple people. I don't care to repeat the several I've heard of him being selfish and egotistical. Its a special kind of scorn one can have towards people they are the most similar. The 90s Hornets were beloved by the city and that's an unquestionable fact. George Shinn was a pissy baby owner that even as a kid I knew by name when I barely knew algebra. He moved the team to no one's surprise because the city wouldn't build him a new arena after having built one 10 years earlier. Nobody had expectations for Bob Johnson. Its strange to say it now, but people at the time thought that Jordan owning the team would confer some advantage. The city approached Jordan about building inroads with the community and I don't know all the details but Jordan was like gently caress you and that's why now no one cares about the team. Sure, the arena is good entertainment if you want to spend $$$ for a night "uptown" (natives don't call it that) but no one cares about the team. Maybe kids are the only real fans. As an aside, the panthers are super popular. They show up around the community and during football season, the support is felt. Its just a matter of money to hire someone to care but whatever, peace out you gold hording dragon. Go play golf and keel over in sand trap somewhere.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean I don't know what community inroads you're specifically looking for but Jordan spreads a lot of money around Charlotte area charities and the team itself has a pretty visible foundation

And no one cares about the team because they've been bad for decades, not because Raymond Felton didn't show up to enough children's hospitals or whatever

temple
Jul 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

I mean I don't know what community inroads you're specifically looking for but Jordan spreads a lot of money around Charlotte area charities and the team itself has a pretty visible foundation

And no one cares about the team because they've been bad for decades, not because Raymond Felton didn't show up to enough children's hospitals or whatever
And yet everyone loves the panthers and not a team that predated them with a greater legacy at the time. I could dig up the articles from 10 years ago but its doesn't matter. None of this matters when you will be like "but Jordan said he's really trying and ....... houston sucks too!"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

temple posted:

And yet everyone loves the panthers

I wonder how much of this is how marketable and cool Cam Newton was/is compared to nearly everyone who's played for the Hornets?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Isentropy posted:

I wonder how much of this is how marketable and cool Cam Newton was/is compared to nearly everyone who's played for the Hornets?
Cam was a good face for the team in the greater media but charlotte area people went crazy for the panthers from day one. Sure football is more popular. But there are only 2 types of hornet fans, depressed people who say "why" every season and contrarians that go 'well technically this (obviously tanking team) is worse than the hornets so we are okay"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alright man

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

temple posted:

And yet everyone loves the panthers and not a team that predated them with a greater legacy at the time. I could dig up the articles from 10 years ago but its doesn't matter. None of this matters when you will be like "but Jordan said he's really trying and ....... houston sucks too!"

Weird thoughts. Maybe you could try responding to what he posted and not an argument you had with a person at work or whatever this is

temple
Jul 29, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Weird thoughts. Maybe you could try responding to what he posted and not an argument you had with a person at work or whatever this is
If you care to explain why the hornets don't suck, I'm all ears big guy.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Ja shooting straight to the top of NBA guys with embarassing old social media posts

https://basketballforever.com/2023/03/16/someone-found-ja-morants-old-instagram-account-and-its-wild

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kids posting song lyrics, shock horror

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

sorry you can't appreciate humor, you can go back to your deathly serious analysis of the legacy of governor joradn

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah you’re right, I’m just tired of the Ja poo poo

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
I think it's pretty weird to make fun of 13 year olds, both in this case and every time someone digs up an old tweet from a rookie.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
How much does landing Wemby increase the value of a team, before he even steps on an NBA court? If the Hornets are worth $1.7b now, do they jump to $2b overnight if they win the lottery? $2.5b?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jordan is super self-centered but probably less evil than most other owners. I just don't think he particularly wants to own a basketball team, the league kinda pushed him into it and made it such a good deal he couldn't say no.

Let him sell, keep a minority stake so he can still site courtside at all-star games and have a "Role", and let a new owner come in and maybe bring some energy (or a fortune born on the back of the exploited working class).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dynamite Dog posted:

Ja shooting straight to the top of NBA guys with embarassing old social media posts

https://basketballforever.com/2023/03/16/someone-found-ja-morants-old-instagram-account-and-its-wild

dang hes just a kid in these pics so it's dumb for people to care. i did laugh at this one though:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Jordan is super self-centered but probably less evil than most other owners. I just don't think he particularly wants to own a basketball team, the league kinda pushed him into it and made it such a good deal he couldn't say no.

Let him sell, keep a minority stake so he can still site courtside at all-star games and have a "Role", and let a new owner come in and maybe bring some energy (or a fortune born on the back of the exploited working class).

yeah, I think the League is kinda letting him sell, because they know in like ~5 years Lebron is gonna own a team in LA lol.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I think it’s really incredibly weird to go through a child’s social media stuff

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i am a moron posted:

I think it’s really incredibly weird to go through a child’s social media stuff

Otoh that’s how we got titty kisser and the Andrew Bynum MySpace page

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I mean it’s out there, I don’t have a problem with people perusing it. I think it’s weird in the sense that kids are weird and they put weird poo poo on there and without any context (or the mind of an 11 year older or or whatever) it doesn’t make a lot of sense

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can make cocaine

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Small domino: dorktown vid on the 2011-12 bobcats
Huge domino: MJ looking to sell

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jordan being the better man is really a curveball

But Jordan can't hit curveballs.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

forget cartilage transplants a Reiki has just hit the league

quote:

I’m a little bit worried that this whole thing is just one giant layer of public relations. The video was so bad that it required a maneuver from Ja, it required a maneuver from the Grizzlies and it required a maneuver from the NBA. The story coming out that Ja was in counseling and then he’s asked about it and he says he’s getting Reiki and anxiety breathing techniques. I wasn’t there so I don’t know, but that hit a little funny.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

By looking back at these old Ja posts, it gives you a view into the mind of the children that him and a group of 10 adults are picking fights with.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Will Barton choosing the number 1 on joining the Raptors was him prophesying his avg made FG/game for the season.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
who is the poster child for zoomer athletes, ja or lamelo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Carwash oval office posted:

By looking back at these old Ja posts, it gives you a view into the mind of the children that him and a group of 10 adults are picking fights with.

Seriously. He was a little wannabe troublemaker. You can tell by the way he omitted the a in the word “that” serially. Sick mind!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ammanas posted:

who is the poster child for zoomer athletes, ja or lamelo

Lamelo or ANT, Ja is a throwback

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Lamelo or ANT, Ja is a throwback

Ant is like the american zoomer giannis

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ant was very good as the villain in the Adam Sandler basketball movie.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agreed. I genuinely hated him for a minute after seeing that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Chamillionaire story is still the most quintessential Jordan moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/deaaron-fox-sacramento-kings-offense-clutch-playoffs/ Great write up of the kings clutch off and spray the wonderful Mark Schindler