Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I played a ton of TW2 and ended up buying most of the factions, but I think you start with six or so factions, with about 20+ more to buy. Some are terrible buys some are great, and there's a million hours of youtube videos about it so it will help you decide if and what to get. There are also two modes, there's the focused campaign where you have to accomplish certain focused goals and then there's a second mode which is just a open, pick your guy and paint the map. Also you get a bunch of factions in TW2 by buying TW1, but I think they did away with that for TW3. I will say that TW3 had a terrible launch, which isn't unusual for a GW title, but a lot of the creators I followed switched back to TW2 after being dissatisfied with TW3. Not sure if they've fixed it, but I'd look for recent reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Looks like the definitive answer is to start with 2, which is what I'll do. Thanks all!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You can play as Skaven and build secret nukes underneath the cities of your enemies and then let them off at the most hilarious time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

You can play as Skaven and build secret nukes underneath the cities of your enemies and then let them off at the most hilarious time

The Skaven are generally the best DLCs

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Hell yeah, played the gently caress out of that on DOS. Tempted...

I'd check it out but steam is down for me at the moment :P

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HopperUK posted:

Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5qHSlTENk

I loving love Skaven.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

They are my absolute favourite.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Brick Shipment posted:

Assuming I'm not getting any of the dlc, is there a reason to not buy Total War: Warhammer 2 instead of 3, which is twice the price? Does 3 have more content and better QoL or something? Is there a dlc that is typically regarded as essential by players?

Never played a TW, so I'm not sure how their releases really work.
With the way the Mortal Empires/Immortal Empires campaigns work, you can treat the earlier main games as sort of essentially DLC packs for the later games. (Though at least without mods you're only playing the actual original story modes in their home games.) Although, they did make the base games required to start your own Immortal Empires campaign, come to realizing it. v See below. v

If you get Total War: Warhammer III, you have access to Grand Cathay, Kislev, and five Chaos factions (one each for Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch, and a fifth for Daemons of Chaos with a customizable Lord). III-exclusive DLC also adds the Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs (and some additional subfactions DLC). That's basically your races if limited solely to this release - but Immortal Empires is a massive campaign that lets you use ANY previous game's races you own - Total War: Warhammer II has High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven in the base game along with Tomb Kings and the Vampire Coast in the DLC (with additional subfactions/lords DLC). The original Total War: Warhammer has the Empire, Bretonnia (with a free DLC), the Greenskins, the Dwarfs, and the Vampire Counts, along with DLC for Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, and Norsca (with additional subfactions/lords DLC). So owning the previous content opens up a lot of playable options in the Immortal Empires (Total War: Warhammer II also has Mortal Empires which is the same idea but doesn't backport from III).

This is why there's an Immortal Empires package deal with the base games of 1 & 2. (Also because you can't play without them, lol edits) v Well, egg on my face since I haven't gotten to 3 yet, but good to know! v
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/immortalempires

But also yeah you don't have to get any DLC you're not interested in playing at the moment because there's already a lot of game with just stock races and it's mostly to enable new playable options.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nota bene: TWW3 now comes with Immortal Empires by default, no previous title purchases needed (This is the 'normal' huge map with paint-the-map victory conditions).

But yes, the sales model is all sorts of borked, don't try to make sense of it as an outsider. Just buy #2 or 3 base game and play it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Now that Immortal Empires is available with only owning game 3 I think that makes it the better buy than game 2. Then if you really dig it you have hundreds more hours of DLC waiting for you.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Nancy posted:

So WH40k Gladius itself is $4, but the "complete" version is $74 - is any of the DLC worth it? Is there enough in the base game to make it fun?

I'm not going to spend $74 on a game when I have so much else to play, but also don't want to spend $4 on an anemic experience.
Gladius is currently free on EGS if you want to check it out.
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/warhammer-40000-gladius-relics-of-war

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

Nota bene: TWW3 now comes with Immortal Empires by default, no previous title purchases needed (This is the 'normal' huge map with paint-the-map victory conditions).

But yes, the sales model is all sorts of borked, don't try to make sense of it as an outsider. Just buy #2 or 3 base game and play it.

I've always heard it described as the equivalent of buying the starter kit then going to the DLC for the specific race army you really want. It's not really a game to buy all the DLC for unless you have several thousand hours of playtime planned.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

pentyne posted:

I've always heard it described as the equivalent of buying the starter kit then going to the DLC for the specific race army you really want. It's not really a game to buy all the DLC for unless you have several thousand hours of playtime planned.

Yeah this is p much correct. Or if you're a digital hoarder and just gotta have all the stuff, I suppose.

There are so many Skaven you can be and they all do different stuff! And the music in the game is great.

Also you can be vampire pirates and just sail around robbing things. It's a map game but it's also an RPG if you want it to be.

CYLOSTRA DIREFIN!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nancy posted:

So WH40k Gladius itself is $4, but the "complete" version is $74 - is any of the DLC worth it? Is there enough in the base game to make it fun?

I'm not going to spend $74 on a game when I have so much else to play, but also don't want to spend $4 on an anemic experience.

FYI you can save $4 by picking it up on EGS where it is currently being given away for free

also get the Augmented Steam browser addon

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pentyne posted:

Except when your starter kit turns into a DLC and you need to rebuy the new starter kit. Oh, and (previously) how several starters needed to be bought to Voltron together into a super-starter. Or something.

The modern games market/industry is hosed up, I have regrets supporting some of this poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sterf posted:

Hell yeah, played the gently caress out of that on DOS. Tempted...

I'd check it out but steam is down for me at the moment :P
Plays just like it did back in the day, but it's in a modern screen resolution.
Having said that:
Constructor Plus
It's Constructor with some extras.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
And my Fanatical scratch card prize is...for Riot: Civil Unrest, yet another giveaway/promo game I already have.

But this code is time-limited, so since I can't save it for a future gift, someone claim it!

ABE6H-FC6W2-WCKTB

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone got any ideas why my PC, which is fairly beefy and connected to Ethernet, and my MacBook pro which I stream games to from my PC, also wired via Ethernet on the same local network, sometimes get connection issues when streaming games using steam? Neither of them are doing anything else at the same time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghosts?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Something to note re: Total War Warhammer is that even if you only buy WH3, you still get Bretonnia as an extra free faction, no need to own 1.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghosts.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What Vampire Survivors-like games are there out there that don't require aiming? I'd like to play one that has better visual design, but the candidates (Spellbook Demonslayers, 20 Minutes Til Dawn) both play more like twin stick shooters.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What Vampire Survivors-like games are there out there that don't require aiming? I'd like to play one that has better visual design, but the candidates (Spellbook Demonslayers, 20 Minutes Til Dawn) both play more like twin stick shooters.

Army of Ruin

Rogue: Genesia - with the caveat that while it has a lot of manually aimed weapons you CAN toggle an option to have them auto-fire on cooldown at the closest enemy target which fully automates the shooting.

Nordic Ashes

Spellbook: Demonslayers has a similar option to Rogue: Genesia, you can fully automate the manual-fire weapons.

Spirit Hunters: Infinite Hoards - with the caveat that while it looks good it plays like rear end.

Boneraiser Minions

-------------------------

I should honestly just review the whole stack, Vampire Survivors bit me and, well...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Fallen_Order/

Jedi Fallen Order is 5 bucks in this sale and its a pretty good time, maybe czech it out if you are curious about the sequel coming out next month. I know its tired and trite to say poo poo like "I couldn't tell the graphics from reality" and obviously that's not the case but they did a hella good job here with the facial capture stuff for the main boy.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
:grumble:
Tunic not on sale

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DerekSmartymans posted:

Tunic not on sale
It's only been on sale thrice and only like $3 off. It's one of those games where if you want to play it, you should probably just buy it. Or keep waiting. But I wouldn't expect 50% off anytime soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Fallen_Order/

Jedi Fallen Order is 5 bucks in this sale and its a pretty good time, maybe czech it out if you are curious about the sequel coming out next month. I know its tired and trite to say poo poo like "I couldn't tell the graphics from reality" and obviously that's not the case but they did a hella good job here with the facial capture stuff for the main boy.

JFO kicks rear end

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Brotato is my favorite. No meta progression, just different potatoes with wildly different playstyles. So fun.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Seconding brotato. I love how goofy it is. Edit: I think 20MTD patched in an auto-aim recently.

Steam sale related: picked up 4 copies of helldivers to coop with my buds. It's an older game but one of the funnest and most chaotic coop experiences I've had in a long time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Rogues has an option to turn on auto-aim and is a ton of fun. More of a roguelike (duh) than Brotato but it's really fun and works well with the autoaim jacked up to max to give it more of a VS feel.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How did a bunch of Vampire Survivors clones take one of the core elements of Vampire Survivors and delete it? You gotta aim in most of these? What the gently caress? It's a mono-stick shooter, that's the point!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

WarEternal posted:

How did a bunch of Vampire Survivors clones take one of the core elements of Vampire Survivors and delete it? You gotta aim in most of these? What the gently caress? It's a mono-stick shooter, that's the point!

I've had Robot Resistors on my wishlist for a bit now, I hear it's one of the better VS clones.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Seconding brotato. I love how goofy it is. Edit: I think 20MTD patched in an auto-aim recently.

Steam sale related: picked up 4 copies of helldivers to coop with my buds. It's an older game but one of the funnest and most chaotic coop experiences I've had in a long time.

Helldivers rules, I just wish it didn’t have the weird war format where sometimes only one of the factions is fightable

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redreader posted:

Has anyone got any ideas why my PC, which is fairly beefy and connected to Ethernet, and my MacBook pro which I stream games to from my PC, also wired via Ethernet on the same local network, sometimes get connection issues when streaming games using steam? Neither of them are doing anything else at the same time.

Try uninstalling video drivers using ddu and then reinstall them? Maybe try running steam in admin mode? Try using old big picture mode? I dunno, its hard to tell.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

WarEternal posted:

In my experience playing these games with aimed weapons, most only have partial aiming with some weapons while the rest are automatic AND there's usually an option to toggle the aimed weapons to automatic as well.

Games like 20 Minutes To Dawn which are mostly aimed are a niche unto themselves and tbh 20MtD is pretty fantastic.

All in all, Vampire Survivorslikes that have aimed weapons are rare, and in most cases that is both not the case with the full armory in the game AND you can just toggle something in the options menu to have them aim and shoot automatically.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 17, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

20mtD has an autoaim toggle and I think I almost always play with it on unless there's a boss up. Eventually you get to the point in these games where you're spitting so many projectiles and aoe that it doesn't matter where or even if you're aiming.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's only been on sale thrice and only like $3 off. It's one of those games where if you want to play it, you should probably just buy it. Or keep waiting. But I wouldn't expect 50% off anytime soon.

Yeah…I’m not waiting on a huge sale or anything, just surprised it’s not anything off at all during a sale where 95% of my wishlist (Dark Souls /etc lol) is up for grabs 🫤

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Tunic is also on Game Pass if you are so inclined. You can also buy Game Pass games for 20% off if you have a sub if you don't mind owning it via MS Store. They fixed the stupid way games were locked down and unmoddable (barring certain publishers that insist on it and I think some older games, so check first if it matters to you) so it's not nearly as bad these days.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There's no reason to buy RDR2 Ultimate, right? Seems like everything is cosmetic \ online only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not aiming is why i found vampire survivors incredibly boring and dull

with the spring sale going on i guess i should start cracking into all of these demos i've downloaded (it's a triple digit number, and the first number is not 1)