Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also you're not alone there, I can't wait for Mark Murphy to hit mandatory retirement. All he's been focused on for the past 5 years is turning that one corner of Ashwaubenon into an overpriced playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I know is the Lions are going to shock the world and win the division.*

*lots of people picking them to win it, but they will still be surprised when they do

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Danny LaFever posted:

All I know is the Lions are going to shock the world and win the division.*

*lots of people picking them to win it, but they will still be surprised when they do

This is the box scene from Se7en. I'm Brad Pitt, the Lions are Kevin Spacey and a playoff win is in the box.

"The Lions won the division and have a home playoff game....JOHN DOE HAS THE UPPERHAND"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

Yes, but the Jets are incentivized to get this done now while the Packers are incentivized to wait regardless of whether there is an agreement in principle. So if the Jets want to have Rodgers before June 1st, that should cost extra.

The Jets don’t need it done now. They can certainly wait until after the draft at the very least, on the chance that a QB they like falls to them.

The Packers have to make a decision on Love’s 5th year option by May 1st and that’s harder if they don’t know what’s happening with Rodgers.

If Rodgers is still on the roster this year he could end up being a 70m cap hit in 2024. Add another 20m for Loves 5th year and that’s 90m tied up in QBs in 2024. I doubt they’re 100% comfortable making a decision on Love without knowing what is happening with Rodgers.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Happy anniversary / St. Patrick's Day.

https://twitter.com/thiccgenius/status/1504484020096098314

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lmao

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's silly. It's as simple as this:

One team has the QB they want to start Week 1. The other team doesn't.

Who has leverage?

I mean yeah the Packers probably have the edge in this game of chicken, but it would be incredibly funny if the Jets went out and just got another QB after all this drama.

Edit: lol I just had a hilarious image of Matt Stafford in a Jets jersey pop into my head.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 17, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's silly. It's as simple as this:

One team has the QB they want to start Week 1. The other team doesn't.

Who has leverage?

Aaron Rodgers has the leverage because he can make the Packers pay him a bunch of money for nothing and then leave them with a huge bill in 2024. The Packers “leverage” requires that you believe they’re extremely dumb and spiteful and also that neither the Jets nor Aaron Rodgers is dumber and more spiteful.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

EDIT: ^^^^ That's my big thing. In a battle of petty, Rodgers will win everytime.

I forgot about this :lol:

Sataere fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 17, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gutekunst is an absolute idiot for a) drafting Jordan Love in the first place, and b) giving Rodgers this huge contract just last year.

Just a total loving gormless goober.

loving imbecile.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also you're not alone there, I can't wait for Mark Murphy to hit mandatory retirement. All he's been focused on for the past 5 years is turning that one corner of Ashwaubenon into an overpriced playground.

It's a free playground though

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's the offseason and the first wave of free agency is already wrapping up. Not much else to report on other than a 4x MVP being dangled above a team starving for a Superbowl.

How do they not see the dead albatross?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Gutekunst is an absolute idiot for a) drafting Jordan Love in the first place, and b) giving Rodgers this huge contract just last year.

Just a total loving gormless goober.

loving imbecile.

Love is going to the hall of fame guaranteed.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Love is going to the hall of fame guaranteed.

All of this has happened before

https://twitter.com/andyhermannfl/status/1253671171171799042?s=46&t=lLoeZNfPlapl93RGkwFUHQ

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aaron Rodgers has the leverage because he can make the Packers pay him a bunch of money for nothing and then leave them with a huge bill in 2024. The Packers “leverage” requires that you believe they’re extremely dumb and spiteful and also that neither the Jets nor Aaron Rodgers is dumber and more spiteful.

Why is this a petty battle? The Packers just want value for what they think Rodgers is worth which apparently is more than the Jets and would just feed into Rodgers ego. Also Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause.

Not going to argue the Packers front office isnt a bunch of goobers, but given the situation waiting a little bit for the pressure to get to the Jets is fine by me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This was the day that I learned why the Irish flag looks the way it does.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Why is this a petty battle? The Packers just want value for what they think Rodgers is worth which apparently is more than the Jets and would just feed into Rodgers ego. Also Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause.

Not going to argue the Packers front office isnt a bunch of goobers, but given the situation waiting a little bit for the pressure to get to the Jets is fine by me.

It doesn’t need to be petty, but the Packers leaked a bunch of stuff about how they were sick of Rodgers and ready to get rid of him and Rodgers evidently took that personally (shocking) and now it’s trending that way.

I was also responding to this idea that they would Osweiler him which is both extremely petty and entirely unrealistic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause but nobody is trading for a guy they’re going to immediately have to pay 60 million dollars if he doesn’t want to be there. The Osweiler salary dump required Houston to give up more draft capital than they got in return. They gave a 2nd and Osweiler and got a 4th and 6th back and that was just to offload 15m guaranteed. Attempting to salary dump Rodgers would cost the Packers more and is an extremely stupid suggestion when they could just trade him to the Jets for what’s on offer instead of giving up picks to dump his salary.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how about the old diet joe rogan bitchbaby fucks off so i can watch the green bay packers again

how do we get to that scenario

let's workshop this, team

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Because, again, the point isn't that the Packers will actually do that. They won't. The point is the front office has these options, and they have time to sit and watch the Jets sweat it out.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

C-Euro posted:

This was the day that I learned why the Irish flag looks the way it does.

It's one of my favorite PR fuckups

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because, again, the point isn't that the Packers will actually do that. They won't. The point is the front office has these options, and they have time to sit and watch the Jets sweat it out.

I’m sure the Jets are really sweating that the Packers are going to try to trade away draft picks to someone to take Aaron Rodgers contract instead of accepting a reasonable offer from the Jets.

It’s okay to admit that this isn’t a master stroke of negotiations, it’s a Mexican standoff where both sides are threatening to shoot themselves if the other doesn’t drop their gun.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m sure the Jets are really sweating that the Packers are going to try to trade away draft picks to someone to take Aaron Rodgers contract instead of accepting a reasonable offer from the Jets.

It’s okay to admit that this isn’t a master stroke of negotiations, it’s a Mexican standoff where both sides are threatening to shoot themselves if the other doesn’t drop their gun.

Maybe the Packers can tank Rodgers' value so much that they wind up having to throw in 15 overall to get the Jets to take him. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This whole thing is reminding me of when the Timberwolves "had" to trade Kevin Love to the Cavs and everyone was wondering why it was taking so long because they had no leverage and then they got the #1 overall pick in the trade

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So, uh, who do the lions take now? Whether right or wrong, I think they pass on Carter if he's still available. They go edge, dl, or corner?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This whole thing is reminding me of when the Timberwolves "had" to trade Kevin Love to the Cavs and everyone was wondering why it was taking so long because they had no leverage and then they got the #1 overall pick in the trade

I’m sure the trade ends up happening and the compensation will be meaningful but way less than Wilson or Watson cost. Maybe the equivalent of a late first, with some conditions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mercenarynuker posted:

You're right, Rogers is absolutely in the mold of a Batman villain. He should definitely get punched or bataranged

Aaron Rodgers is absolutely egghead explaining he can't pay for his eggs, he's a higher class of criminal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m sure the trade ends up happening and the compensation will be meaningful but way less than Wilson or Watson cost. Maybe the equivalent of a late first, with some conditions.

this is what I'm ultimately expecting yeah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Parallelwoody posted:

So, uh, who do the lions take now? Whether right or wrong, I think they pass on Carter if he's still available. They go edge, dl, or corner?

Witherspoon at corner out of Illinois. He's physical as hell and should fit great with Dan Campbell

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I'm thinking a 2023 second and a conditional 2024 pick. The Packers really don't have a ton of leverage; their cap is hosed and the number of teams A) in need of a quarterback and B) that can take on the Rodgers contract isn't terribly high.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

On the Jets side of things how do you justify spending a first on a one or two year rental of a potentially washed up and definitely over priced QB? Just draft a QB in the first and see what happens. If you have to trade up or take a chance on a second QB late in the draft, do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Darth Brooks posted:

On the Jets side of things how do you justify spending a first on a one or two year rental of a potentially washed up and definitely over priced QB? Just draft a QB in the first and see what happens. If you have to trade up or take a chance on a second QB late in the draft, do it.

The Jets fanbase is sick of highly drafted bust QBs, they're basically the perfect opposite of the Colts - the Colts have been dealing with washed up vets since Luck left and just want a young QB they can invest in for a while, meanwhile the Jets keep having to deal with highly drafted QBs like Darnold and Wilson that turn out to be terrible and hold back their roster. They just need an adult under center that can do ANYTHING with their offense while their defense wins them games. Which is why I thought they should've just signed Carr, but, whatever.

The alternative isn't so much "why not just spend a first drafting a QB", imo, it's "if you're gonna give up a first for Rodgers, why not just go all the way and pay for Lamar to presumably have more than one year for the price you're paying."

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Because the NFL colludes to not go after tagged players

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Darth Brooks posted:

You do it if you believe Rodgers can win you a Super Bowl the way the Rams won one with Stafford.

I don’t think it will work out for them, but they think otherwise or they wouldn’t have bothered with all this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wink wink nudge, nudge collusion only lasts until someone is desperate enough to break the prisoners dilemma.

Not having a QB is something that would get someone desperate enough to potentially do that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

You do it if you believe Rodgers can win you a Super Bowl the way the Rams won one with Stafford.

I don’t think it will work out for them, but they think otherwise or they wouldn’t have bothered with all this.

Less Stafford to LA than Brady to Tampa. The former was them seeing a deficiency with Goff and seeking out a clear upgrade to a top tier QB. The latter was "just loving put someone that's not Jameis back there." which is basically what the Jets are trying to do.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Which is why the front office sucks. Show a little class to one of the greatest players in your franchise history. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too and acting like it is all on Rodgers. And let me say again how annoying I find it that I am defending Rodgers who sucks just as much.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I feel like the Jets committed to this before it was a done deal. White is gone and all the QBs in the market are pretty much gone. Except for Lamar or if they could talk Brady out of retirement. I don't think it disrespects Rodgers that much to see this and try to get what they can out of the Jets.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Any reasonable offer to Lamar is just going to get matched by Baltimore, and any unreasonable offers are going to include a huge amount of guaranteed money. More money than anyone is actually willing to give him given his injury history. Rodgers’ contract, especially with the Packers still eating a sizable cap hit, leaves you on the hook for a lot less. Some teams are willing to give up multiple high draft picks to make good on a shrinking window of success, just look at the Rams.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Darth Brooks posted:

Zach Wilson
Sam Darnold

Comedy 2nd round option:
Christian Hackenberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

e: I'm dumb, nevermind, missed the point

Actual content, it's tough to come up with a direct comparison for the situation considering how massive Rodgers' contract is. In a vacuum he would definitely be worth some early picks, but who is going to pay for him in 2023 and 2024 is a way bigger question than it was for Stafford.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 17, 2023