Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A slightly larger radius on the wisp would be nice but other than that I wouldn’t change a thing. Mistlands is cool and I hope Ashlands is as hostile to life or moreso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ravenfood posted:

What? No, I love it. The only change I would make would be to let you build the dvergr lighthouse for larger mist clearing and maybe to upgrade your wisplight for a tiny bit more clearance.

I love that there are open areas in the mist sometimes. Stumbling onto those feels so great.

confession time: I've been playing solo, avoiding looking up as much as possible. I didn't realise wisp torches were a thing, I got so used to ignoring 99% of unlocked tech. But yes a way to keep a larger area clear would be great.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a mod for flattening/raising/lowering? because holy poo poo I cannot do it any more captain

Burns
May 10, 2008

It really depends. Maybe its just my seed, but Ive gone through Mistlands that do have some open mist-free areas that are quite large in the interior of the biome (and sometimes near shore). Finding such locations is a gem.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Eediot Jedi posted:

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a mod for flattening/raising/lowering? because holy poo poo I cannot do it any more captain

To answer myself OCDheim has very precise terrain manipulation tools that take out a lot of guess work and reduce the whoops hosed up, do it again tedium. Planbuild has the stuff if you want to level a continent in 5 minutes.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

re-installed this game since it's initial release, and boy howdy I forgot how much I loved it

regarding taming, which animals are worth doing early in the game? my group is almost done with our bronze-tier gearing. I remember so many were a pain and never seemed quite worth it...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
small patch was released today

Zmej posted:

re-installed this game since it's initial release, and boy howdy I forgot how much I loved it

regarding taming, which animals are worth doing early in the game? my group is almost done with our bronze-tier gearing. I remember so many were a pain and never seemed quite worth it...
well, you can only tame boars early in the game and they remain relevant for some time, try to tame some starred boars preferably

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Re-installed this over the weekend and started up again now that I figure mistlands is baked enough to be enjoyable. Ashlands is next I hear, any ETA on that? Should I stop playing and wait for that or can I just avoid the biome while slowly grinding my way through the game again solo and then when the patch is out then mosey on down there?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Re-installed this over the weekend and started up again now that I figure mistlands is baked enough to be enjoyable. Ashlands is next I hear, any ETA on that? Should I stop playing and wait for that or can I just avoid the biome while slowly grinding my way through the game again solo and then when the patch is out then mosey on down there?

The contents of a landmass isn't generated until it is discovered, so if you avoid the unimplemented biomes, they'll generate fine after the patch. Already discovered landmasses will not regenerate. Fortunately, the unimplemented stuff is at the north/south poles of the map and are easily enough avoided.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zmej posted:

None of them. Always easy to go spend 2 minutes just running around killing random ones that spawn; boars can be tough sometimes but not if you record the location of boar runestones when you're exploring.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

You can avoid the biome just fine but when the update comes the world generation might change to increase the area of Ashlands on the map, so your old world might have less Ashlands on it than it would if you started after the update.

That said, my plan is to wait with my current world instead of restarting as well.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

None of them. Always easy to go spend 2 minutes just running around killing random ones that spawn; boars can be tough sometimes but not if you record the location of boar runestones when you're exploring.

Yeah. Just save a few stacks of the boar meat that you’ll be picking up in the early game; roast deer is better at that level anyway, and the raw boar is incredibly useful once you hit the swamp. Sausages are great, I still do most of my running around with them in the Mistlands.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Just stay roughly in the middle two thirds of the map away from the north and south pole and you'll avoid populating anything that has yet to be populated..

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Any way to hide what day I'm currently on? I don't care to know.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There is a mod for that yes, but I can't remember what it's called

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

AMnesia. Not sure if it's on nexus or elsewhere.

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Azumatt/AMnesia/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eediot Jedi posted:

AMnesia. Not sure if it's on nexus or elsewhere.

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Azumatt/AMnesia/

Thank you. I like the game feeling timeless.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The contents of a landmass isn't generated until it is discovered, so if you avoid the unimplemented biomes, they'll generate fine after the patch. Already discovered landmasses will not regenerate. Fortunately, the unimplemented stuff is at the north/south poles of the map and are easily enough avoided.

The problem arises if when they release a new biome, the seeds biome borders change size as they did when Mistlands released.

e:f,b

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they include manual snaps in this patch?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Zesty posted:

Thank you. I like the game feeling timeless.

I agree. My brain worms demand progress between arbitrary milestones.

Eifert Posting posted:

Did they include manual snaps in this patch?

Nope.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The devs accidentally killed my interest in playing this game because now that I know that manual snapping is coming I am not touching it until it's here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the stupid among us, what is manual snapping and how is it different from what there is now?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

For the stupid among us, what is manual snapping and how is it different from what there is now?

If you hold your item to place on another item it can snap to, you then press a button to cycle through the different snap points (and orientation I think) without having to get your mouse positioned perfectly for a difficult alignment.

Edit: here's a tweet from last month from a dev. It may have changed since then

https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1623698518354321410

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 15, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Build pieces snap to snap points you can see, so you get weirdness like having to see underneath your unfinished support column that is almost touching the ground to get the bottom point, or if you are building floors horizontally you have to move so you can see the forward edge point. Some pieces don't have snap points where you want them, but if you build another temp piece you can snap off that, then get rid of it to get a piece where you want. Currently you have to do work arounds that are unintuitive and annoying.

Building a pier is frustration incarnate because it runs into several problems that manually snapping will make so much easier and faster.

The build system in this game is honestly cool as hell. It's really surprising the game has been in EA so long without much QOL passes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pik_d posted:

If you hold your item to place on another item it can snap to, you then press a button to cycle through the different snap points (and orientation I think) without having to get your mouse positioned perfectly for a difficult alignment.

Edit: here's a tweet from last month from a dev. It may have changed since then

https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1623698518354321410

ok yeah this is when I will play this game again as well

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I want to know how that will interact with the times pieces won't work with each other based on things that aren't snap points. As far as I know there is no way to make an x piece shape with corewood beams, unlike wood or darkwood. (At least an x piece that fits inside of a 2x2 wood wall. You can make an x with corewood by using 4 beams moving outward from the central point but you can't cross them iirc). I wonder if this will let you bypass that somehow.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh, that's pretty cool. I've already got about halfway through swamps on my current restart and mods breaking is a pain in the rear end so probably won't wait for it, just keep on keeping on.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Where do you guys tend to build your great hall? Just started playing with a group of friends, only as far as bronze right now. I'm seeing peninsula a lot which makes sense, but not what biome.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Where do you guys tend to build your great hall? Just started playing with a group of friends, only as far as bronze right now. I'm seeing peninsula a lot which makes sense, but not what biome.

Early on I build in the meadows near a resource rich black forest. Late game I just find a big flat area in the plains close to water.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The meadows will do until you kill the mountains boss which starts the push into the Plains. In the plains I always build a house on top of one of those rock spires because the monster attacks you can get in the plains are kind of nuts and I just stay far away from them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Right at the start I just found a good spot near the starting altar thing. Once I got to iron so I could make stone walls I found a midsized island that I could see both ends of at the same time and clear-cut everything that dared grown on my land, flattened it all, dumped crafting benches everywhere and made myself an island hermit fortress. I don't want anything to do with anything leave me alone stop spawning on my lawn dammit.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I typically build my first meadows base near a black forest, build a swamp/plains base by (ideally) taking over a draugr village in a far flung meadow, then build a plains farm on a peninsula (or carve a moat along a plains coast) and finally some monstrous hall in the mistlands.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m on a plains/meadows/Black Forest border. Hogs and deer nearby, lox if I’m feeling froggy, copper/tin if I need it, and barley won’t grow outside of the plains.

Just had an “you’re being hunted” event where the wolves killed me, broke down the door to my base, and slaughtered all my hogs/piggies :cry:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I like my permanent base to be in the black forest. It just looks too amazing at night time. Dealing with greydwarves isn't a big deal and I find their constant suicidal intrusions charming.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I never really moved or rebuilt my main base from the river mouth in the meadows where I first built it. In retrospect, that was annoyingly far from the forest and other biomes — if I ever restart, I’ll do a lot of exploring to try to find some place that’s also close to the mountains or swamp, depending on what’s nearby on my starting continent. But I didn’t understand the game at all when I started. For all I knew, I needed to build in some highly defensible location because there would be persistent attacks. (There were a couple raids where I appreciated it, but mostly it hasn’t mattered — you want to be on the water, that’s good enough.)

I don’t really understand why you’d rebuild your main base in the plains instead of just gating to an outpost there. My farm in the plains is just an open field a few hundred meters from the forest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
First base is a shack near the stones. Second is ideally in the black forest near a swamp with nearby crypts (bonus if the trader is there too) third is near or in a mountain depending on how quickly I found a good usable ruin in the mountains and how far it is from an existing base. My plains base ends up being my "real" build and is on a peninsula if possible. Definitely coastal. My mistlands base is a converted dvergr (either infested or killed on-map) tower near a few sources of sap that I use to farm jotun puffs and am in-out quickly.

If I found a truly fantastic location in an earlier biome, I have built a big "final" base there and found a small plains island and used it for a safe farming area for barley and flax while shutting down spawns on it.

I also think I will eventually find a suitable Mistlands spire and build some kind of tower across a few of them, but that's later.

While exploring, I use ruins as slapdash bases before settling the area.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I encircled and camp-fired an island that’s mostly plains, with some black forest and meadows.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
My first meadows base was on the shore of a lake well inland, because at that point I thought I'd reached the ocean. So it was an "oops" and has made metal-shlepping a minor pain, but on the positive side, it's far enough away from my dock that my ships aren't taking weather damage when I'm doing other things.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thanks for the responses! I think based on the way we play and what I'm hearing, the ideal would be an intersection of some of the biomes. Personally I really want to be able to build a safe harbor for the aesthetic. Something like a walled village with a harbor at the center. A couple of the guys in the group are very much builders in the way they play these games and I didn't want them to feel like they wasted their time if we should have built our main hub in a later biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I guess I should say that by “main base” I mean the place where I keep all my crafting benches, supplies, and so on. I never rebuild any of that stuff, and all of my ore goes back to that one place. That doesn’t mean I don’t put significant effort into other bases; I haul around enough iron in my longship to build a stonecutter’s bench wherever I go.

My base by Moder is where I got to learn about the building support mechanics, for example. There was this lovely ruined foundation on a steep mountain face that I wanted to build into a castle; too bad that that meant the whole thing could never be quite as tall as I wanted because the stones started crumbling on the deep side.