Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Kith posted:

gambit is the best game mode though

its kinda fun every once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh poo poo!

I know this isn't the takeaway from this but someone was saying a while ago if they lose Zavala, it's over.

He seemed like such a nice fella and everyone he worked with had such nice things to say about him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lance Reddick passed this morning :smith:

WHAT THE gently caress.

WHAT.

NO.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo what. He was only 60.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's loving heartbreaking.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Gonna miss that guy a lot, as a kind dude in the world and an excellent voice actor.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

it was always so endearing to see him engage with the game on his own time. terrible.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Dude will be missed. Instantly recognizable in so many roles and seemed very down to earth and friendly

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Agree with all that has been said, incredible actor/voice actor and person through and through. He will be missed.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1485805764161654784?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lance Reddick passed this morning :smith:

loving devastating. He was a tremendous talent, this is such a heavy loss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That’s terrible news

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't think of anything to say that isn't a tasteless destiny joke so I'll just say :(

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
God almighty this is the worst news, Lance Reddick dying is just a huge goddamn tragedy.

Alarms are probably going off at Bungie now because good lord will recasting Commander loving Zavala be a task.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

gently caress!!! This sucks, he was such a cool guy

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Judge Tesla posted:

God almighty this is the worst news, Lance Reddick dying is just a huge goddamn tragedy.

Alarms are probably going off at Bungie now because good lord will recasting Commander loving Zavala be a task.

I suspect they'll have to give him a heroic sacrifice death in an unvoiced cutscene

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
He was only 60... gently caress.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

this poo poo sucks

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i know this is goons.txt but i decided to visit zavala at the tower and seeing him lean against the rail with the traveler gone hit harder than i thought it would. he was the voice of this dumb little game that i love.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Judge Tesla posted:

I mean, they had Ikora not say a word for like a year and a half. They could just have Ikora or someone else take over as the player’s main “contact” and leave all Zavala’s “indeeds” and “Hello Guardians” intact and any further lines from him be onscreen text.

:smith:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://youtu.be/w5urkfdMUXo

RIP to the loving GOAT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

I suspect they'll have to give him a heroic sacrifice death in an unvoiced cutscene

I don't think that'll be an option unless they want to completely rewrite Final Shape*

He'll probably be recast, and we'll all be sad and angry for a bit, but then we'll get used to it

*which they might be doing anyway after the Lightfall reception

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Astrochicken posted:

i know this is goons.txt but i decided to visit zavala at the tower and seeing him lean against the rail with the traveler gone hit harder than i thought it would. he was the voice of this dumb little game that i love.

That's the thing, he's just been there for nearly a decade and now its all over, in the worst possible way as well.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddammit, he was a stellar human being. I feel bad for his family and friends, what a loss :(

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I can't properly express how much that sucks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

Nah I feel it. The dude had such an outsized presence in everything he had. I have so much respect for any actor that pours as much love and devotion into a role as small and as silly as the blue alien general in a space magic GaaS game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hanging out with Zavala and doing Vanguard Ops this weekend :(

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
man that sucks

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Astrochicken posted:

yeah i'm legit grieving a bit. he was such a great guy, what a terrible loss

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm currently just hanging out in the tower listening to Zavala's idle lines. A lot of people have gathered around him and are doing the same.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1550543740896526337?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

I genuinely have no idea how they'll handle it. Killing him off using cobbled together dialogue feels tasteless, as does replacing all of his audio a lá dinklebot. The character's immortal, so they can't do a 'the character suddenly peacefully died' bit.

I guess they could leave him there as the vanguard vendor, pull an Ikora and just have him not appear in cutscenes despite being a major character? Send him off on a long mission? First mainstream use of deepfake voice alteration?

I would imagine alongside the grieving, all of the properties he was involved in - Destiny, Legend of Vox Machina, Resident Evil - are going to be like "Well gently caress, we can't just recast Lance."

I don't even want to hear Nolan North's Zavala.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is there a good guide for people like me who are stuck between the soft cap and the hard cap and don't really know what to do?

I'm on a Titan if it matters. My current exotic setup is Dunemarchers + Monte Carlo which isn't my favorite but it has some good synergy and the Dunemarchers are solid stats so w/e.

I feel like I understand the build stuff fairly well, I'm rocking Void with a grenade specific build. I can poop out orbs and be throwin' grenades like they're candy, so I think i have an alright grasp on Armor Charges and all that good stuff.

What I feel like I'm missing is how to get resources like upgrade modules, enhancement prisms, and generally just start ekeing my light level up past 1760ish. I've tried some seasonal activities and the matchmade 1770 ones are doable but maybe a still too difficult. Done with the Lightfall campaign on the Titan too.

Do I just slam vanguard activities and bounties mostly? Like I don't think I'm at a point where I can farm LLSes and get better exotics quite yet. :shrug:

I am not caught up with the thread, but if this didn't get answered yet:

First recommendation is to hop in the discord and just ask questions, bug people. Everyone has been super friendly and helpful. Don't even need to be on voice for stuff, it's just like Guardian support for all little questions plus often times people are around to carry or help you with stuff.

Next is get on destinyitemmanager.com, authenticate, and hit up the Progress category (on site it should be on top like Inventory, Progress, Vendors, Records, Loadouts, Organizer). Select your character on left. Expand the Milestones & Challenges category. The app dynamically figures out what activities give you +X gear. So right now I'm below the 1800 cap so I get a bunch of +5s, some +4s, and some +3s. Some of these are vastly easier to complete than others or soloable. This is how you build light level. Gear drops higher than your current level, then the game takes all the gear on your character (equipped or inventory) and vault to calculate what the new +X should be. You slowly advance that way. In DIM you can go to Inventory (top menu like before) and query like "is:maxpower -is:locked" to find stuff that counts as max power and is not locked, then bulk lock it by hitting the 3 dots next to the search field, and selecting lock. This should keep you from deleting your stuff. The game should (and used to) take all your equippable stuff across all characters into account but someone said it may not be working correctly on the other classes, so just make sure your highest power stuff for the titan is on titan or in vault.

The easy challenges are probably Give Commendations, all 3 Playlist challenges (vanguard needs you to have the surge equipped when the activity ends to count, read the challenges carefully), nightfall completions, all the "do 8 bounties" for the 3 playlist vendors + banshee, gain rep with nimbus, defeat combatants in terminal overload. If you hop in discord you're likely to be able to hitch along for dungeon completions or the Avalon mission as well.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Legit sad. Just had to go talk to Zavala and it made me sadder.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Aztecross/status/1636812825392820225?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bonus Vanguard ranks next week as well, gently caress.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/michaelcoderre/status/1636815257367658505?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This sucks rear end. Lance was an incredible actor and half the reason I even stuck with Destiny starting out was the way he played Zavala.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is really awful, 60 is just way too young and Lance was a really special talent who brought a very unique charisma to all of his roles. He was just...really, really fuckin' cool, and it sucks that he's gone way, way too soon. It sucks for all of his fans and it must be absolutely devastating for his family, who lost him just, again, WAY TOO EARLY. We're all greater for having had him and lesser for having lost him.

From a Destiny perspective, I dunno what the gently caress Bungie does. Zavala's arc was not taking him towards death. It sucks because Ikora got to have WQ focused around her, Osiris got to have Lightfall, which means, you would think, Zavala was gonna get to have his big focused character development expansion in Final Shape. And I really don't think it was gonna end with him dying, a heroic sacrifice doesn't really follow where his character has gone the last few years. But recasting a role Lance Reddick played for literally almost a full decade is, uh....REALLY tough!

I really don't know how you handle this one. This just loving sucks for everybody, man.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1636821544360878080?t=qhHGEPGJBN7zojjRYuEeMw&s=19

https://twitter.com/MicaBurton/status/1636814520550313984?t=d9JDkKT3F7987vxg6YVkpg&s=19