Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think Jack's somehow a changeling, primarily because it would be the dumbest possible swerve to say that he's not actually Picard's son. Then he, Beverly, and Picard could have a tearful moment where they say that it doesn't matter who he actually is because family is more than just genetics. Will it make any sense? Probably not. But just think of all that pathos!

However, we still have basically nothing to go off of after half the season has already passed, so anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. I'm not expecting to get any reveals until maybe episode eight. The 12 Monkeys show was just one mystery box after another, with every question being answered with another question. I will be extremely surprised if Jack explicitly saying "I think there's something wrong with me" actually results in us immediately finding out what his deal actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're all going to feel like idiots when Jack turns out to be a changeling van helsing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

blastron posted:

Then he, Beverly, and Picard could have a tearful moment where they say that it doesn't matter who he actually is because family is more than just genetics.

Picard (gravelly old man voice): "I don't got crew. I got family." *kills Ensign Lynch*

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Does soulless robot Picard still have all that leftover borg junk floating around inside him or did they skip that part when they rebuilt him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not going to put it past them for him to be some kind of S31 experiment

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“I now realize…what I always have been.”

Picard smiles as he Odo-goops to the floor and slithers away, zero explanation. End series.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I know it was all just a hamfisted lead-in to the whole "these new changelings can even pass the blood test!" reveal but the amount of time people in this episode spent asking "how did changelings infiltrate the ship/the federation" felt almost comical. They're changelings, the ability is in their name, why are you spending so much time questioning the precise mechanics of how the alien race famous for being able to seamlessly infiltrate governments infiltrated your government?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

3 posted:

I know it was all just a hamfisted lead-in to the whole "these new changelings can even pass the blood test!" reveal but the amount of time people in this episode spent asking "how did changelings infiltrate the ship/the federation" felt almost comical. They're changelings, the ability is in their name, why are you spending so much time questioning the precise mechanics of how the alien race famous for being able to seamlessly infiltrate governments infiltrated your government?

There are SO MANY bits where they explain it to characters in a way where it makes no in-universe sense
It's like if it was 1960 and there's people going "Sorry, what are Germans?"

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I keep going over in my head how easy they could have had Q retcon Picard's robo bod.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TerminalRaptor posted:

I keep going over in my head how easy they could have had Q retcon Picard's robo bod.

They didn't even need to give him a loving robot body, just go "We transferred your consciousness into a server tower for a few hours while we hooked you up to a life support machine and fixed your brain with positronic parts then downloaded you back into your old body, congrats, you're even more a cyborg than you were before."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I find it so odd that the person absolutely nailing Worf's dialogue and deadpan humour also clearly does not understand what the words Logical and Illogical mean.

Vulcans and Romulans never know what the words mean, it's just a word to pepper their speech with, or like an accent. So you can tell they're a Romulans or Vulcans, in case the eyebrows and haircut were too subtle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

They didn't even need to give him a loving robot body, just go "We transferred your consciousness into a server tower for a few hours while we hooked you up to a life support machine and fixed your brain with positronic parts then downloaded you back into your old body, congrats, you're even more a cyborg than you were before."

Picard slowly dying and then being turned into a flesh golem as the culmination of Picard Season 1 is one of the dumbest things ever done in Trek, and this is a franchise that gave us Nemesis and These Are the Voyages.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TerminalRaptor posted:

“Now now, mon capitane, act your age!”

*Picard crumbles into dust*

“Next season on Star Trek Picard: Oops, all Raffi scenes!”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

Picard slowly dying and then being turned into a flesh golem as the culmination of Picard Season 1 is one of the dumbest things ever done in Trek, and this is a franchise that gave us Nemesis and These Are the Voyages.

The aim of the show has always been to kill Picard off at the end and they clearly had to walk that back at the end of Season 1 when they found out they could do a season 2.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

Picard (gravelly old man voice): "I don't got crew. I got family." *kills Ensign Lynch*

* music softly starts playing piano *
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
* phaser sounds in the background *
When I see you again
* increasing phaser fire, screams of assimilation *

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

The aim of the show has always been to kill Picard off at the end and they clearly had to walk that back at the end of Season 1 when they found out they could do a season 2.
That would make sense, but i swear when Picard was in development that they talked about doing more than one season

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That was another great episode. Really enjoyed it! Everything with Ro was great and was a wonderful capstone to her character. Was really good to see how her decision affected Picard all these years later.

I'm so nervous they're gonna drop the ball but so far, so good!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
:chloe:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"I hope they don't drop the ball" he says, stepping over 2 dozen people who have fallen on the floor from all the marbles spilled everywhere

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

it hit me after watching the episode last night and realized that were 5 episodes in and nothing much has happened. This episode we learned that changelings infiltrated starfleet (duh). Has the ship even moved?

Word and Raffi go to visit the new information broker, Chuck (formerly Sneed), and I don’t even remember if new information was revealed.

That's because you have a terrible memory!

So far we've learned:

Riker and Deanna were having relationships troubles, why that happened and it's been resolved

Changelings are back, they've become more advanced than before, and have infiltrated the highest parts of Starfleet

Changelings have stolen multiple forbidden technologies from Daystrom and we're still not sure what they've taken

There's a big event happening in a few days and there's sure to be an attack, but we don't know how or why

Picard how found out he has a son and is grappling with being a father

Picard is dealing with his estrangement with Beverly

Seven is adjusting to her role in Starfleet

Worf and Raffi are putting the pieces together and can now finally infiltrate Daystrom to see what else has been stolen

That's enough in 5 episodes for me!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Khanstant posted:

"I hope they don't drop the ball" he says, stepping over 2 dozen people who have fallen on the floor from all the marbles spilled everywhere

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Seasons one and two had already poo poo the bed by episode 3, so this is a truly Olympic effort

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The whole rogue changling thing also irks me something fierce. The whole point of the great link was it was basically paradise. Odo reveals at one point that his deepest secret is how bad he wants to go back to it despite the loyalty to his friends and sense of honor. Even if they disagreed with ending the war I don't seem them breaking off.

Butt bugs would have worked so much better.

Wasn't the Enterprise mostly doing diplomatic missions during the war anyways? I always assumed Star Fleet was afraid the Jem Hadar would have suicide runned the Enterprise if it showed up on the battlefield.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Seasons one and two had already poo poo the bed by episode 3, so this is a truly Olympic effort

I mean we're already well aware that the next episode is apparently the quality cliff, because that's as far as they've screened to critics and social media influences who weren't Terry M'T's white supremacist buddies (appearently a core crew of chuds like Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Buechler got given the whole season by Matalas). So we'll see what kind of turd Episode 7 drops into the bed because it's been peaking in and out of the sphincter for a while now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Somehow, even STO's terrible writing and delivery produced a more coherent splinter revanchist Founder faction.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I mean it really could poo poo itself any episode, and I'm always super nervous when I press play! But that last episode was really good, was even quite emotional, and nothing incredibly stupid happened. It even had good writing and I could see some of the old Picard in it, which must be a Christmas miracle.

So far Picard S3 is better than all of Discovery. I'm begging the universe that it keeps being good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

So far Picard S3 is better than all of Discovery.

I mean, objectively yes, but that's still "World's Fastest Turtle" territory.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We have learned literally nothing in 5 episodes that wouldn't have been covered in the pre-credits bit of a TNG or DS9 episode.

Picard's son is being chased by changelings who have infiltrated Starfleet. That's it, that's the story thus far. Sure there's been plenty of other scenes but that's all 'stuff' that's been thrown onto the screen, none of which has actually advanced the story.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alan_Shore posted:

So far Picard S3 is better than all of Discovery. I'm begging the universe that it keeps being good.

I'unno man, only one of these two things paid Cronenberg, so I think we have a clear winner

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHAT IS JACK CRUSHER!?!?

A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

WHAT IS JACK CRUSHER!?!?

A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS

A boss fight with Dracula is the perfect way to end this whole shitshow.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Picard please destroy the DS9 lore next.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lpzie posted:

Funny you should mention Lore... :haw:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm wondering if the Lore connection is because Moriarty was created to be capable of beating Data and therefore only Lore is on his level.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alchenar posted:

We have learned literally nothing in 5 episodes that wouldn't have been covered in the pre-credits bit of a TNG or DS9 episode.

Picard's son is being chased by changelings who have infiltrated Starfleet. That's it, that's the story thus far. Sure there's been plenty of other scenes but that's all 'stuff' that's been thrown onto the screen, none of which has actually advanced the story.

Measure of a man: Starfleet wants to copy Data but Riker proves he might be sentient. That's it, that's the story. Sure there are other scenes but it's all "stuff" thrown on screen.

Best of Both Worlds: Picard is taken by the borg but they get him back. That's it, that's the story. Sure there are other scenes but it's all "stuff" thrown on screen.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

No Dignity posted:

The Raffi and Worf plotline should just be a series of sidequests hunting down and beating up members of the underworld with stock Ferengi names. Like in episode 9 the main crew should be facing down certain destruction as Changeling-fused Lore carries out his masterplan to destroy the Federation and enslave all organic life with a changeling DNA virus or something and they're still on M'Talas Prime going 'okay we have to find Sneed's second cousin Blurk and pump him for all the information he's got!!'

It is a good day to run Bartertown

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Measure of a man: Starfleet wants to copy Data but Riker proves he might be sentient. That's it, that's the story. Sure there are other scenes but it's all "stuff" thrown on screen.

Best of Both Worlds: Picard is taken by the borg but they get him back. That's it, that's the story. Sure there are other scenes but it's all "stuff" thrown on screen.

Yeah, the problem with most 'nothing happened' posts is you can reduce anything to a sentence fragment: Star Wars A New Hope "A farm boy blows up a space station". The Godfather "Son takes over family business when dad dies".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I mean it really could poo poo itself any episode, and I'm always super nervous when I press play! But that last episode was really good, was even quite emotional, and nothing incredibly stupid happened. It even had good writing and I could see some of the old Picard in it, which must be a Christmas miracle.

I liked the episode too friend

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

I liked the episode too friend

For what it's worth, I am enjoying the poo poo out of the show as well, but I will not for a second stoop to calling it "good" :colbert:

It has successfully become the Star Trek: Insurrection of Modern Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lpzie posted:

they're working on it