Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

you nailed it. you're the best. please accept this certificate that shows your license to being cool

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Cavauro posted:

it shows a giant turd in the game. They're going to recall all physical copies and update digital copies. Decouple from any always-on storefronts if you want to keep the big poopie on there

Ain't that some poo poo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

After playing 2k23 for two nights I'm done. Honestly the create a wrestler mode is super detailed but it took me like 4 hours to finish the entrance, moves and appearance. One of the worst things is for the entrance you can't preview something without clicking on it and clicking on it brings you out of the menu and you have to go to through the whole list again to find your last spot. And there are like a million moves. So it's very detailed and you can lose yourself in it. The entrance creator just needs a little QOL

The story mode is so bad. The lipsync is terrible, the delivery is terrible and the dialogue is terrible. I would just try to skip through it all to get to the next match.

As for the matches themselves they feel good. Way better than 19 and I'm pretty sure they're better than that year it was so bad they actually had to skip the next one.

So while I think I should still be enjoying it I just don't feel like putting my time into this game when I can be playing Pizza Tower or Pathfinder 2 or SWTOR or Clone Hero. So if you're looking for a wrestling game to dive into I think you'll like this.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I have 11 hours of playtime and all I did was create three appearances, two full movesets, two entrances and team entrances for one team.

though I'm one of those bizarre freaks who do movesets from scratch. Can't wait to sign my characters up to some feds.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Shard posted:

After playing 2k23 for two nights I'm done. Honestly the create a wrestler mode is super detailed but it took me like 4 hours to finish the entrance, moves and appearance. One of the worst things is for the entrance you can't preview something without clicking on it and clicking on it brings you out of the menu and you have to go to through the whole list again to find your last spot. And there are like a million moves. So it's very detailed and you can lose yourself in it. The entrance creator just needs a little QOL

The story mode is so bad. The lipsync is terrible, the delivery is terrible and the dialogue is terrible. I would just try to skip through it all to get to the next match.

As for the matches themselves they feel good. Way better than 19 and I'm pretty sure they're better than that year it was so bad they actually had to skip the next one.

So while I think I should still be enjoying it I just don't feel like putting my time into this game when I can be playing Pizza Tower or Pathfinder 2 or SWTOR or Clone Hero. So if you're looking for a wrestling game to dive into I think you'll like this.

I haven’t tried the story mode but I totally agree with the points about the creation stuff.

It’s great that there are a million moves but the naming and sorting is so bad. In the RUNNING section there are like 80 moves called like “Running boot 03” but then there’s also just “Big boot 04” which is also a running boot.

I’ve taken two days so far to make my guy because I can only play for like 90 minutes at a time. Stuff like having to watch a grapple and an Irish whip when previewing every single “they’re running at you” attack takes up so much time. Fire Pro has a million moves but the previews start immediately with the actual move so browsing is easy.

Also bummed that they pretty much copy and pasted MyFaction from last year. It feels literally exactly the same and it was far from perfect.

edit: I do appreciate them getting their poo poo together with certain things like not having to create a wrestler twice if you want to use them for career mode.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 18, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
My biggest complaint about the 2K games for YEARS has been how it takes so loving long to make any custom stuff cause for some reason they still haven't figured out how to preview moves or entrances without taking you completely out of the menu, showing you the thing in full, then going back to the menu. Or even how to sort poo poo into sub-menus so you don't have to scroll through 37 different variations of every possible wrestling move ever done in the history of professional wrestling to find the one you like. Or how the game has to load every single piece of clothing in the entire game all at once every single time you scroll from one item to the next in the list so it takes forever and there's always like a 10% chance every time that it just crashes the game.

I mean there's also the fact that Universe Mode just straight up didn't function for like 4 or 5 straight games but I could write a whole essay about that on it's own right.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Drakkel posted:

My biggest complaint about the 2K games for YEARS has been how it takes so loving long to make any custom stuff cause for some reason they still haven't figured out how to preview moves or entrances without taking you completely out of the menu, showing you the thing in full, then going back to the menu. Or even how to sort poo poo into sub-menus so you don't have to scroll through 37 different variations of every possible wrestling move ever done in the history of professional wrestling to find the one you like. Or how the game has to load every single piece of clothing in the entire game all at once every single time you scroll from one item to the next in the list so it takes forever and there's always like a 10% chance every time that it just crashes the game.

I mean there's also the fact that Universe Mode just straight up didn't function for like 4 or 5 straight games but I could write a whole essay about that on it's own right.

Drop down menus for moves would fix so much. Right now moves of the same type are split up across the alphabetical list because they have different name variations. You should have a move category called “suplexes” with drop down options for “vertical suplex”, “belly to belly”, “butterfly suplex”, etc.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/rooflemonger/status/1637218543581405186?s=46&t=vTNZavhRg3gJqoP7LCLG5A

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Never played a 2k game and I think the last wrestling game I played was on the NES and it had Honky Tonk Man but I'm enjoying 2k23. It's a bit of a mess and I haven't been able to connect to online for some reason.

But it was fun doing a three way match with my wife and a CPU Brock Lesnar in a steel cage match and trying to keep him from escaping.

I'm a trophy/achievement hog and it seems like a fair few are bugged, which I guess is kind of par for the course for these games? Anyways it's basically fun but it's also just made me even more excited for Fight Forever.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Women's MyRise story is pretty good so far, although everyone shits on you and Liv Morgan has the balls to yell at you for botching spot after your debut.

Controls still feel weird because I've got 20 odd years of old controls stuck in my brain but it feels much more responsive than last year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is the botched spot a scripted event? How do you even botch something in gameplay (or even in the context of the game) anyhow?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is the botched spot a scripted event? How do you even botch something in gameplay (or even in the context of the game) anyhow?

I haven't played it but I assume they do the thing these games usually do where you play the whole match and no matter what you well you play it just cuts to a custcene of your character getting their rear end kicked.

Also it's insane to have a storyline about a "botch" in a video game where they treat wrestling like it's completely real

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

joylessdivision posted:

Controls still feel weird because I've got 20 odd years of old controls stuck in my brain but it feels much more responsive than last year.

Yeah it's cool that since last year it actually feels like a new game and not a Frankenstein's monster mess of every Smackdown! game since PSX.

The dumbest poo poo in the new games is when you try to attack or do something and your guy does a "why I oughta" kinda fist cocking instead, like Tim Robinson in the choking sketch. That always causes like 5 seconds of dumb bullshit before things get back on track.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

it is indeed scripted. I played three matches and in those matches there were certain conditions and if you won a match in a way not told to you how to do it, you'd actually have to do it again. So in this case your character is dressed up like how her aunt dressed back in 02 and you trigger your special and right after you trigger it a cutscene starts where you eat poo poo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drakkel posted:

this saved me the effort of deciding whether or not to buy this game or any of the other 2k games, thank you so much because this sounds loving miserable

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Shard posted:

it is indeed scripted. I played three matches and in those matches there were certain conditions and if you won a match in a way not told to you how to do it, you'd actually have to do it again. So in this case your character is dressed up like how her aunt dressed back in 02 and you trigger your special and right after you trigger it a cutscene starts where you eat poo poo

Oh I told management to eat poo poo and let me wear my own dumb outfit. And yeah it's a cut scene where you're supposed to do your aunts finish and Charlotte pushes you off the top and apparently that's enough to gently caress up your ankle and get pinned by Rhea.

Of course everyone giving my character poo poo has just meant I've absolutely murdered everyone they've let me in the ring against, especially the girl from NXT who gives you the evil eye from the moment you arrive back stage. Screw me over will you? Taught her what's up in our no dq match (by beating the poo poo out of her with a kendo stick.)

Seymour Buttz posted:

Yeah it's cool that since last year it actually feels like a new game and not a Frankenstein's monster mess of every Smackdown! game since PSX.

The dumbest poo poo in the new games is when you try to attack or do something and your guy does a "why I oughta" kinda fist cocking instead, like Tim Robinson in the choking sketch. That always causes like 5 seconds of dumb bullshit before things get back on track.

Oh yeah I kept trying to do an outside dive but kept doing the fake out or just swinging my fist over the ropes until I went and fixed my moves. Now I'm diving over the top ropes every chance I can.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah that sounds terrible, though maybe fun to watch when nL does their playthrough. 2K22's women's MyRise has a lot of bullshit but being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone from my fellow trainees to Beth and Shawn has been pretty funny so far because I completely murder anyone they put in front of me.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah that sounds terrible, though maybe fun to watch when nL does their playthrough. 2K22's women's MyRise has a lot of bullshit but being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone from my fellow trainees to Beth and Shawn has been pretty funny so far because I completely murder anyone they put in front of me.

Someone paid off Polygon

quote:

WWE 2K23’s MyRise story mode is a slow burn that’s worth the effort

https://www.polygon.com/23648037/wwe-2k23-news-ratings-myrise-unlockables-legacy-lock-story-impressions

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I've enjoyed the MyRise women's story.

Or I did before my game bugged and won't let me load that save so I can't continue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Whatever else one can say about 2k23 its annoying to me that it exists and fight forever does not

one is forced to tip one's hat

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s going to be so funny if 2k23 gets credit for being not-terrible and then YUKES goes and demonstrates that the central problem with wrestling games over the last decade plus has been YUKES.

Tbh the biggest concern for me would be AEW going for a fresh / bespoke design sensibility but not getting enough resources to really pull it off … THQ Nordic / Embracer Group do not typically publish big from-scratch projects, mostly current indie titles and remasters of ambitious previous-gen games. But who knows.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

It’s going to be so funny if 2k23 gets credit for being not-terrible and then YUKES goes and demonstrates that the central problem with wrestling games over the last decade plus has been YUKES.

Tbh the biggest concern for me would be AEW going for a fresh / bespoke design sensibility but not getting enough resources to really pull it off … THQ Nordic / Embracer Group do not typically publish big from-scratch projects, mostly current indie titles and remasters of ambitious previous-gen games. But who knows.

I mean in this case it sounds like AEW basically bankrolled development so presumably THQ's only on the hook for marketing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fight Forever just has to have a rock solid, actually fun to play engine and the rest is gravy for me. You can bolt on whatever frills you want to it after that with DLC since it's not an annualized release. Give me Rocket League For Wrestling

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
a solid engine and a caw that'll let me make Vader and Misawa and it's game of the century for me tbh

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Fight Forever better be out by Forbidden Door so that they can sell NJPW DLC

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

To be honest it's insane how little they've revealed about Fight Forever given it's apparently complete and just waiting to be published.

I think only about half of the roster has been confirmed, and even then a chunk of that is stuff people have gleaned from interviews rather than having actually seen footage or anything official.

No idea how the career mode will work and if it will be the typical "Run your CAW from rookie to champion" or whether there'll be something with the actual roster instead.

So long as the engine and core gameplay loop are solid then there's a lot they can just add with updates or DLC, but given how much of what we know was stripped from the ESRB ruling my Spidey-sense has got me worried they're actively hiding stuff or something.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Fight Nukem Forever

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The minigames being like 25% of the trailer was what worried me. Say what you will about the WWE games, but they do focus on wrestling itself.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

no the wrestling is horrible in those games i dont believe they focus on it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know that Fight Forever won best Sports/Racing at GamesCom and its coming soon to my favorite console just like the last 13 weeks on dark elevation

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

still thinking fight forever is going to be a fun little game that's going to get hammered for feeling small & too 90s. just like my loving bollzag

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

someone could just release a heavily modded No Mercy with small QoL improvements i.e. longer intros, online CAW sharing, ability to edit and share your own championship stories, boost the wrestler number in-ring to 6 or 8, and maybe add 2 or 3 modes like HIAC/deathmatch, and it'd automatically be the greatest wrestling game ever made. It's crazy that it would take so little and yet the 2k games flood their games with so much complicated bullshit while making the gameplay and experience inherently worse

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Same but shut your mouth imo

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cavauro posted:

still thinking fight forever is going to be a fun little game that's going to get hammered for feeling small & too 90s. just like my loving bollzag

Yeah I think a lot of the hate the game's gonna get is because it won't be on-par with 2k23, a game that has the benefit of basically being the same game they've been slowly bolting new features onto bit by bit for 20+ years

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in that post i meant to say yourn rather than mine. i think it's not considered socially acceptable to discuss your own like that but i wasn't intending to. it was a slip of the fingers

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

projecthalaxy posted:

Same but shut your mouth imo

hey be polite

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I think a cool gimmick that's a subset of "just make a roster pack for the old game" would be becoming a WarZone Guy and insisting that having a finisher button instead of 7 button strings and in engine cutscenes instead of unrecognizably compressed FMV was what ruined the games forever

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

someone could just release a heavily modded No Mercy with small QoL improvements i.e. longer intros, online CAW sharing, ability to edit and share your own championship stories, boost the wrestler number in-ring to 6 or 8, and maybe add 2 or 3 modes like HIAC/deathmatch, and it'd automatically be the greatest wrestling game ever made. It's crazy that it would take so little and yet the 2k games flood their games with so much complicated bullshit while making the gameplay and experience inherently worse

Part of the reason I struggle with the newer wrestling games is that I played so much Revenge and No Mercy as a kid that I’ve got the muscle memory for that control scheme ingrained in me and always end up instinctively hitting the wrong thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Warzone was stupidly fun and awkward but what's funnier is that the sequel, Attitude, made all wrestlers movesets 70% smaller since they had like 40 more wrestlers to put in. At least in Warzone you could randomly put in two directions and then press a button but in Attitude you had to memorize unique poo poo for every goddamn wrestler

projecthalaxy posted:

I think a cool gimmick that's a subset of "just make a roster pack for the old game" would be becoming a WarZone Guy and insisting that having a finisher button instead of 7 button strings and in engine cutscenes instead of unrecognizably compressed FMV was what ruined the games forever

Warzone didn't even list the finishers for wrestlers, they were secret and didn't show up in the movelists in-game lol.

those promos were gold though. You could tell Goldust did his homework and put in max effort while Farooq and Bulldog had to read off cue cards. And Ahmed...lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WGIoTWCyc

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2023