Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I’m not gonna risk messing my youtube by clicking on a random unlabelled link, but I’m assuming this is the part where, after it’s been proven that you wrote something factually incorrect on the internet(!), you just kinda shut down and post a happy face and “let’s agree to disagree” or something. The time for argument is past!

It’s bad form whenever it happens, but I think kinda worse in this situation.

Of course, it could be that the youtube contains a compelling reason for why the sources you posted contradict your own writing. If that’s the case, it’s egg on my face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s a clip of John Oliver saying “Cool”, you should check it out

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 17, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

I love the board game, some people think it's too easy but someone in this thread (bigger boat?) made some decent house rules for it if you want a hard mode. The game's hard mode option is to add Ash into play. Ash basically behaves like the Alien except instead of draining your morale he makes you drop your poo poo/wastes your time lol

Game is fun. And, yeah, the house rule we added to replace one Jonesey tile (or both if you want) with a "facehugger" that immediately sends the player to Med Bay and lose their turn(s) until another player can reach the area and heal them. It can take a player out of action for a decent amount of time depending on how it plays out.

That's the only house rule we use.

And if the game seems too easy, just reduce the turn counter by a few rounds or remove some scrap tokens. My son and I didn't find to to be too easy but it's simple to balance.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just noticed how perfectly Alien fits the Hollywood three-act template. Omitting the credits, the film is 107 minutes long (in my PAL DVD rip, anyway). Dividing that according to standard screenplay structure, after establishing the characters and setting up the story, Act 1 should end with a turning point at around 27 minutes. Act 2 has another turning point at the halfway mark (53.5 minutes), and transitions to Act 3 at circa 80 minutes with still another turning point, after which everything escalates towards the finale.

27 minutes: after Dallas, Kane and Lambert enter the Derelict, Ripley learns the signal is actually a warning. Uh-oh!
53.5 minutes: Kane has a really bad turn at dinner.
80 minutes: the remaining crew discover Ash is a robot traitor.

The plot points all fall exactly where they should. What's all the more impressive is that the three-act structure wasn't really codified for film, at least in any widespread way, until Syd Field wrote Screenplay in 1979 - which as y'all know is a significant year for this movie.

On a sidenote, I bet if you asked most people when in the film the chestburster sequence takes place, they would place it much earlier than the midpoint.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m just glad we got down to the legal definition of humanoid and how that word can only be used in specific situations, re: only ones the op agrees with.

We gotta be careful!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

On a sidenote, I bet if you asked most people when in the film the chestburster sequence takes place, they would place it much earlier than the midpoint.

I know that was true for me for a long time, and the interesting part is that none of it feels like unnecessary filler or poorly paced or like it gets slow and drags, it’s all interesting material (be it character interaction, or visually interesting, or both).

I wonder if the timing you’re describing holds true for the director’s cut (which is one minute shorter, but omits a lot of material in order to add new material in) or if it changes in any appreciable way. I’m going to guess it doesn’t change much.

What I’m getting at here is that Alien is a really well-put-together movie on nearly every front, and it’s tied with ‘Aliens’ for my favorite in the series (I say “tied”, but my actual favorite bounces between the two depending on my mood).
I used to think Alien3 was my favorite years ago but I really am not sure why I used to think that in light of my appreciation of the first two.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I was going to say :sever: and then I noticed you said “ex-wife”.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 17, 2023

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Payndz posted:

I would have said it was closer to a half hour in or so, to be honest. Like, I believe you, but my memory of the film is trying to tell me that you're wrong, that the chestburster comes way sooner.

Well, guess I'll rewatch Alien. Haven't done that since I tried to get my ex-wife to watch it and she thought it was boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I definitely had that experience with Alien that I think a lot of people have which is that I really gained an appreciation for the first half of it as I got older. Like, sure I saw it on t.v. plenty of times growing up, but it wasn't until I was in my 20s with a proper blu ray and a nicer t.v.(I've never seen it in a theater) that I was able to appreciate that first half as the masterpiece of science fiction that it really is.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've learned to just give that kinda half-frowning half-smiling "Oh. Huh. Oh well" reaction and move on when people IRL say Alien is "pretty boring but has a couple good scenes" or something similar

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xenomrph posted:

A human amputee can be argued that he has humanoid elements.

yo wtf

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I misspoke, sorry

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

I've learned to just give that kinda half-frowning half-smiling "Oh. Huh. Oh well" reaction and move on when people IRL say Alien is "pretty boring but has a couple good scenes" or something similar

Same but when people say they don’t like the Ridley Scott prequels

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Same but when people say they don’t like the Ridley Scott prequels

Yea that one happens way more often because people see it as the consensus so they have no hesitation in saying it, they assume most people will agree. As opposed to Alien where typically they know that criticizing it is more likely to be an unpopular take.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Martman posted:

I've been fortunate to never meet someone who has said this lol

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I’m just glad we got down to the legal definition of humanoid and how that word can only be used in specific situations, re: only ones the op agrees with.

We gotta be careful!

The funny thing is, if you actually go to the linked Wikipedia page, it says:

quote:

More generally, the term can refer to anything with distinctly human characteristics or adaptations, such as possessing opposable anterior forelimb-appendages (i.e. thumbs), visible spectrum-binocular vision (i.e. having two eyes), or biomechanic plantigrade-bipedalism (i.e. the ability to walk on heels and metatarsals in an upright position).

Which is to say, if the Wikipedia page is a good source, then anything with thumbs, for instance, is humanoid, given that sentence uses "or" instead of "and." It's a very expansive definition, the opposite of what it was posted to prove.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

It’s a clip of John Oliver saying “Cool”, you should check it out

Well, that's unfortunate.

So, for everyone else: what went wrong here? Why did this happen, again?

"Explaining it is bad. There are people who didn’t want it explained, and Prometheus explained it. That’s bad."

Forums poster Xenomrph has, himself, noted that he's been repeating the above stance for over a decade now, and it's real who-gives-a-poo poo kind of stuff. "It's bad when people do things I don't want." Uh, well, not necessarily, but whatever. You like pleasure and dislike displeasure. Cool?

One recent poster's comment: "My alien universe simply doesn't include the engineers. I find nothing about them interesting"
Another recent comment: "I'm just rather bored by it ... being some bald guy"

Personally, when I find something isn't interesting, it's a neutrality. I'm not interested in dubstep music or reality television, but I haven't been vocally 'bored' about those things for over ten years. The vocal repetition of the boredom betrays that this is actually something very different from boredom. We're getting these repeated attempts at articulating that something and, the more we examine what that something must be, the weirder it gets. And that's something that I do find extremely interesting!

So, lots to unpack here:

"[Prometheus] takes a huge weird ancient long-dead and non-human extraterrestrial that is ripe for the audience to fill with their own fears and ideas, and undoes all of it for no discernible benefit to either movie."

If we parse this, forums poster Xenomrph is saying that the existence of the movie Prometheus "undoes an extraterrestrial." Wha? Of course, this is referring to the image of an extraterrestial, so the complaint is better summarized as "the movie Prometheus undoes an image." And that's a wild statement! How do you undo an image? That's a phrase that I've never really encountered before in art, and searching for variations of it online produce few results outside of photoshop tutorials. Like, maybe a few hundred hits. The handful of relevant articles concern media narratives and public perception: one article talks about how celebrities coming out of the closet have to 'undo the image of heterosexuality'. Another talks about politicial candidates 'looking to improve their image'. Basically, PR stuff: trying to communicate ideas that go against the tide of public opinion or whatever. I'm perceived as straight, but I do not want to be.

And, well, that is exactly what forums poster Xenomrph is expressing: the movie Prometheus is (akin to) a political/ad campaign, and Jokey is the celebrity/politician at its center. The movie Prometheus benefits if it maintains the celebrity's ("ripe") image for the audience, but forums poster Xenomrph cannot discern how Jokey's makeover benefits the Prometheus campaign. In fact, Prometheus might even be harmed by Jokey's unusual behaviour. They've taken something - something ripe - and made it unripe, and that's bad!

Again, that's pretty wild. Leaving aside the nebulous idea of success, this is a very transactional approach to art. The movie does things that you want, in exchange for praise. But of course, as Newt says about her doll, the movie is just a piece of plastic. It people calling it boring online neither harm nor benefit it. It's an inanimate object. The praise is ultimately directed at the Disney corporation.

What is the message to Disney? Forums poster Xenomrph isn't just saying that Prometheus undoes an image, but "all of that" - i.e. not only the image but also "the fears and ideas" that he 'puts into' the image. So, even weirder than the undoing of a photographic image, we're talking about the undoing of fears, the undoing of ideas. Consequently, the same questions arise: how do you undo an idea?

The ideas are just basic poo poo like "ancient" and "non-human". They haven't gone anywhere.

In the context of Prometheus, even, Jokey's spaceship is (or emulates) one that is over 2000 years old. That's literally ancient times, which only begin around 5000 years ago. Also, if Jokey is an Engineer, then he's clearly has been mutated or otherwise altered - likely to the point of speciation. And this is all, certainly, quite weird.

We can only assume, then, that the real issue is the shift away from fantasy to science fiction. When forums poster Xenomrph writes "ancient", that's not referring to any actual time period, but to some fantastical realm of obscurity, which is threatened by the scientist characters' use of carbon-dating. Likewise, there's no actual care towards exploring the definition of human, or any of that; the actual point is to maintain the perception of Jokey's magical 'unknowability'.

In actuality, Jokey is quite 'knowable'. What was always refreshing in Alien was its unshaking materialism. Jokey is a 'dead god' that's left behind a skeleton. Ash and Mother easily translate Jokey's warning message, then collect loads and loads of data about the creature it warns about. Everything that happens in the movie is thoroughly understandable, even if the characters and some members of the audience may not follow along. It's scary not because we don't know what the alien is, but that the implications of its existence are troubling.

In Scott's "director's cut", the alien lives a short and painful life in the service of the propagation of a fungus. It's totally subordinated to that purpose, like in the Last Of Us. Spooky!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Forums poster

Also your psychoanalysis missed the mark on a lot of things but that’s par for the course and all of it has been hashed out multiple times over the last decade and isn’t worth revisiting for the billionth time. Stick to film analysis, it’s less tedious and requires fewer strawmen.

Some people don’t care for the Engineers or the ramifications of their adjacent inclusion in ‘Alien’, that is an extremely valid opinion to have. Your inability to grasp this is baffling and bizarre, and always has been.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I want to make one of those dope rear end Aliens dioramas

There are third-party “generic” diorama sets for things like that, like I know there’s some for Hadley’s Hope corridors and there might be one for Nostromo hallways. I’m not sure what scale they are though.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 17, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All opinions are valid, except when it comes to the strict definition of humanoid.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hell yea. Growing up, I had the figurines in a little scene on a shelf around the top of my room (with some Godzilla kaiju etc as well for fun because I was 10). Still have them and always meant to set them back up again. Shame I lost my Hicks figures smart rifle and some of his accessories (the big 10" one) because that was a badass little figure.

Also, I hate coming back to this thread and finding all the new posts are some dumb semantic argument. Shame it's every other week in here but whatever keeps the new posts flowing, because there are always some when people try to get the subject changed.

I guess I'm just saying, as a lurker, this is a real turnoff to reading the thread.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McGann posted:

I guess I'm just saying, as a lurker, this is a real turnoff to reading the thread.

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit

No really, this costume is covered in bird poop and I can’t find the zipper

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 17, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

McGann posted:

Hell yea. Growing up, I had the figurines in a little scene on a shelf around the top of my room (with some Godzilla kaiju etc as well for fun because I was 10). Still have them and always meant to set them back up again. Shame I lost my Hicks figures smart rifle and some of his accessories (the big 10" one) because that was a badass little figure.

Also, I hate coming back to this thread and finding all the new posts are some dumb semantic argument. Shame it's every other week in here but whatever keeps the new posts flowing, because there are always some when people try to get the subject changed.

That’s why we just gotta talk about some things that aren’t lame

My idea is to do one of those bookshelf nook things. Small setup would be nice for making a claustrophobic scene

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McGann posted:

That fuckin' rules.

I was never too into action figures after a point but I got into like painting miniatures for tabletop RPGs and model kits as a teen. I always remember wishing I had money when I'd be in hobby stores of the time because of those leading edge Aliens miniatures and the fuckawesome Halcyon model kits of like every Aliens/Alien 3 thing were so cool. Fortunately now I'm an adult with job and can......continue to wish I had money because those models are all like $300 on EBay now lmao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

That fuckin' rules.

I was never too into action figures after a point but I got into like painting miniatures for tabletop RPGs and model kits as a teen. I always remember wishing I had money when I'd be in hobby stores of the time because of those leading edge Aliens miniatures and the fuckawesome Halcyon model kits of like every Aliens/Alien 3 thing were so cool. Fortunately now I'm an adult with job and can......continue to wish I had money because those models are all like $300 on EBay now lmao

I’ve actually got a pewter Leading Edge Alien Queen I need to get off my rear end and assemble and paint. I’ve also got the minis from the Prodos AvP board game from 7 or so years ago that I should probably get around to painting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3047820432...emis&media=COPY

Not to toot my own horn, but I actually have a spare box set for the Prodos board game listed on eBay- when I ordered it, they sent me two for some reason. :shrug:
It’s worth some coin so I’ve got it listed for several hundred dollars though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Payndz posted:

I just noticed how perfectly Alien fits the Hollywood three-act template. Omitting the credits, the film is 107 minutes long (in my PAL DVD rip, anyway). Dividing that according to standard screenplay structure, after establishing the characters and setting up the story, Act 1 should end with a turning point at around 27 minutes. Act 2 has another turning point at the halfway mark (53.5 minutes), and transitions to Act 3 at circa 80 minutes with still another turning point, after which everything escalates towards the finale.

27 minutes: after Dallas, Kane and Lambert enter the Derelict, Ripley learns the signal is actually a warning. Uh-oh!
53.5 minutes: Kane has a really bad turn at dinner.
80 minutes: the remaining crew discover Ash is a robot traitor.

The plot points all fall exactly where they should. What's all the more impressive is that the three-act structure wasn't really codified for film, at least in any widespread way, until Syd Field wrote Screenplay in 1979 - which as y'all know is a significant year for this movie.

Agreed. I think that's why the first film works so well in spite of being a bit of a slow burn. Conversely, I think that's why the director's cut of Aliens is rightfully criticized as being poorly paced and way too slow in the first half.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

That fuckin' rules.

So excuse the embarassing ...dusty and cobwebby nature. They've been sitting in a cabinet in my garage for lack of abetter place for a decade. This is what survived several moves anyway.

Yes, Rodan's arm is off and lying on the ground nearby and probably some pieces missing otherwise but...this is what I've got left to work with. Oh and a big 12" Space Godzilla too not in picture. And that rectangle thing is a piece of '98 Godzilla film stock from the premiere (you can see I highly treasure this).

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 18, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally some good Godzilla posts in this thread

McGann
May 19, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Finally some good Godzilla posts in this thread

Hey now, there are no less than 4 Xenomorphs in those pics and 1 unarmed Hicks! :D

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McGann posted:

Hey now, there are no less than 4 Xenomorphs in those pics and 1 unarmed Hicks! :D

Hicks can handle himself. :colbert:

The funny thing is, I recognize all of those Aliens (and own 3 of them, or versions of them). :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t bought an alien or predator figure in like 2 years. Neca fuckin pisses me off and they’re prices are away too high now

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I haven’t bought an alien or predator figure in like 2 years. Neca fuckin pisses me off and they’re prices are away too high now

I just got the last of their Lost Predators in the mail, I like them. I have room for one more Predator on the shelf and I’m not sure if I want the Feral Predator or to hold out for a new Wolf Predator (if they ever loving announce it).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Also your psychoanalysis missed the mark on a lot of things but that’s par for the course and all of it has been hashed out multiple times over the last decade and isn’t worth revisiting for the billionth time. Stick to film analysis, it’s less tedious and requires fewer strawmen.

Some people don’t care for the Engineers or the ramifications of their adjacent inclusion in ‘Alien’, that is an extremely valid opinion to have. Your inability to grasp this is baffling and bizarre, and always has been.

Nobody cares if you dislike a film. The trouble is that you are not only voicing dislike but continually spreading disinformation about the films in question, among other things, in an effort to 'justify' the dislike.

"I dislike broccoli" is the kind of statement that's very mundanely uninteresting and would pass without much comment. Repeating "I don't like broccoli because it's poisonous", however, is an altogether different thing. I believe it worth highlighting not only because truth is good, but because it's a nice springboard to talk about what's actually in the films. The falsehood provides a contrast.

For example, when you write that "a human amputee can be argued that he has humanoid elements [sic]", that's a contrast to the reality where that's entirely false. Like, it's not only factually wrong but ethically and politically wrong as well. At a minimum, that's claiming amputees are less human. And, you know, you're talking about actually-existing people here. The continual small falsehoods add up and add up, into grand statements.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covenant is so good

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Covenant is so good

David is fantastic, and Fassbender simultaneously playing Walter just makes me respect him even more as an actor.

I harp on Prometheus and Covenant for being bad Alien prequels but David is a stand-out star who carries both of those movies, and I’d like to see another movie with him where he gets his gothic horror villain comeuppance.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's obvious what happens to David: he attempts to bring himself to life, but only succeeds at the same time as he crash-lands on LV-426 while trapped within a heavy-duty Engineer exosuitand is ultimately facehugged by the very masterwork he cultivated out of Daniels. The resulting lifeform goes on to fill the now-derelict ship with eggs before its mayfly lifespan ends.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I was in charge he’d kill the whole galaxy and win

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

If I was in charge he’d kill the whole galaxy and win

The unquestioned good guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I didn’t think an SMG debate would ever top the guy who lost his mind over calling Rey’s home Tatooine, but getting a guy to commit to an interpretation of the jokey so hard he inadvertently starts poo poo talking amputees to hold his ground just might.

The last few pages were beautiful, thank you all.