Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Inoykern is getting 15 loving inches of snow? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FlapYoJacks posted:

Inoykern is getting 15 loving inches of snow? :stare:

Like in the future? No, definitely not.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1635758509030780929

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thenunez1/status/1635788408327897089

the hills and ridges will be blanketed in white

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol I always suspected I lived in the ball sac of Cali

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

lol I always suspected I lived in the ball sac of Cali

rain (piss) is stored in California's balls

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

am I looking at it from the side? from underneath?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

biceps crimes posted:

am I looking at it from the side? from underneath?

head on! apply directly to the foreskin

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/fredcantu/status/1636550821625167873

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't think I've ever seen as intense of lightning as in that storm. It was continuous.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.ppic.org/blog/an-epic-snowpack-may-test-water-management-in-the-san-joaquin-valley/

Tulare Lake making a comeback

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I would keep one of those ice balls in my freezer forever

Sublimation called.

It’s coming for your balls.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh just in fun general weather news!

Record ocean warmth returns as La Nina fades posted:

Global ocean temperatures have rebounded to record-challenging high levels this week as our planet shakes off the cooling influence of La Niña.

Image: Daily global sea surface temperature, showing 2023 (dark solid black line) and 2022 (orange line) compared to all other years since 1981 (light grey lines). Source: ClimateReanalyzer.org

The black line on the graph above reveals that global sea surface temperatures are currently at their warmest level on record for this time of year. The only other year that is on par with the current warmth was 2016, which was Earth’s warmest year in record for ocean temperatures. However, it is important to note that 2016 was an El Niño year and El Niño is known to enhance global ocean temperatures.

This year has already been able to rival the oceanic warmth of 2016, despite being under the cooling influence of a waning La Niña. With some forecast models suggesting that El Niño may develop later in the year, this might not be the last record-challenging warmth in out planet’s oceans during 2023.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yes. love rebounds, they're a universally-recognized symbol of Good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think I've ever seen as intense of lightning as in that storm. It was continuous.

Not as big but I saw something similar in northern florida and people were pulling over to watch it. They also got out of their cars, which I would not have recommended

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

dr_rat posted:

phew, i was worried for a second

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

A Bakers Cousin posted:

you would think the media would report on a storm affecting a state with like 14%(?) of america?

You'd also think that media would cover when Pakistan or Bangladesh gets flooded and millions lose their homes. And California is a much smaller and remote corner of earth.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

dr_rat posted:

Oh dear.

Looking forward to Portugese Men of War and schools of barracuda off the north end of Vancouver Island, like the El Nino in the late 1950s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The news yesterday afternoon was talking about how sargassum seaweed is going to ruin your spring break this year. One of the anchors called it "sarcasm" seaweed a few times

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i say swears online posted:

hell yes. love rebounds, they're a universally-recognized symbol of Good

number always goes up

every number

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The news yesterday afternoon was talking about how sargassum seaweed is going to ruin your spring break this year. One of the anchors called it "sarcasm" seaweed a few times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95C7IWzRxMo

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Receding floodwaters, population booms of fish caused by the flooding and heatwaves are all deoxygenating waterways in eastern Australia and that’s causing some unfathomable horrors:
https://twitter.com/STomevska/status/1636637855194963974

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Receding floodwaters, population booms of fish caused by the flooding and heatwaves are all deoxygenating waterways in eastern Australia and that’s causing some unfathomable horrors:
https://twitter.com/STomevska/status/1636637855194963974

what the gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

plow it over and grow corn

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Graeme McCrabb

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Real hurthling! posted:

plow it over and grow corn

It's wheat out here m8

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Water season over.

Fire season begin.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Failson posted:

Water season over.

Fire season begin.

What about mudslide season?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
we are probably going to get quite a few bridges and roads getting washed away this spring as all this snow melts

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Failson posted:

Water season over.

Fire season begin.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

is this scale like relative humidity, where 100 is on fire/raining?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
euxinic events are weather

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

All of California could be under six feet of water, and the fire danger would still be moderate.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

All of California could be under six feet of water, and the fire danger would still be moderate.

tbh, i thought all those signs were permanently bolted to extreme

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah dont you know how many teslas are in California?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

jetz0r posted:

is this scale like relative humidity, where 100 is on fire/raining?

Nah, you can be on fire at any point!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I would like to expand on the El Nino situation as it is my primary area of weather study, and what's happening right now needs some context. Effort post time...

Here is the up to date figures:

This is a ridiculously strong opening season for ENSO. And crucially, the southern hemisphere seems to be playing ball, which has been a big problem lately. This looks very much like the beginnings of a classic, very strong to super strong EP based ENSO, the rough types of which are shown here:

A cross section of what's occurring in the Pacific Ocean. To understand this, imagine you parted the sea at the equator, bible style, and were looking at the ocean straight on from the side, seeing the warmer layers of the thermocline on the top and the coldest layers nearing the bottom.

These are a variation on kelvin waves; due to slackening or reversing trades in the pacific ocean, warm water is accumulated into a ball and eventually moves slowly eastward. These are envelopes of warmer water and they essentially do battle with the cooler water in the central and eastern pacific as they travel east.

These enveloper travel beneath the surface of the water and erupt further east depending on how much their envelope deviates from normal, how fast they travel, and the overall conditions in the rest of the basin which can either help or harm its journey.

When a kelvin wave hits the eastern NINO 1+2 region (galapagos-centric; slams into the coast) with good momentum, it's like a pawn becoming a king when it reaches the end of the board. The regions, for reference:

Don't get me wrong, any warm water reaching the east pacific is good (with a small handful of exceptions) but these strong, momentum-laden kelvin waves are the backbone for a consistent and long lasting EP based El Nino, which is by far the best El Nino for California precipitation and more broadly, a hyper developed and southerly focused jet stream. (though it is worth noting that weaker positive ENSO phases can actually have a negative effect on rainfall for CA / American SW).

Kelvin wave progression in 2023 can be seen below in a time lapse that helps elucidate how these kelvin waves actually function:

The 7 day average:

Here is the current thermocline, which maps the water temp at given depths. You can see very clearly that there is a lot more warm water downwelling from the west pacific and poised to move eastward:

Typically, the stronger an El Nino is, the earlier and more strongly it begins, as water starts its oscillatory loop eastwards in Q1 or Q2. That's not always true, but it's a good general way to describe it.

Basically, if this ENSO positive event continues like this we could see an event similar in magnitude to 1997-1998. The fact that we had consecutive years of La Nina bolsters the odds of this occurring.

The 97 El Nino is legendary; it was an extremely strong, no holds barred event that had jaw-dropping amounts of warm water, and its resulting alterations of air circulation produced incredible and often devastating effects worldwide.

The general state of the world's weather patterns are significantly more unpredictable than they were in 97, which makes intensity and overall effects even more difficult to predict, but usually when an El Nino is super strong, it tends to bring the entire world circulatory system with it. Here is an extremely general layout of how such an oscillation would traditionally affect the USA, for example:

I would like to expand on the El Nino situation as it is my primary area of weather study, and what's happening right now needs some context.

Here is the up to date figures:

This is a ridiculously strong opening season for ENSO. And crucially, the southern hemisphere seems to be playing ball, which has been a big problem lately. This looks very much like the beginnings of a classic, very strong to super strong EP based ENSO, the rough types of which are shown here:

A cross section of what's occurring in the Pacific Ocean. To understand this, imagine you parted the sea at the equator, bible style, and were looking at the ocean straight on from the side, seeing the warmer layers of the thermocline on the top and the coldest layers nearing the bottom.

These are a variation on kelvin waves; due to slackening or reversing trades in the pacific ocean, warm water is accumulated into a ball and eventually moves slowly eastward. These are envelopes of warmer water and they essentially do battle with the cooler water in the central and eastern pacific as they travel east.

These enveloper travel beneath the surface of the water and erupt further east depending on how much their envelope deviates from normal, how fast they travel, and the overall conditions in the rest of the basin which can either help or harm its journey.

When a kelvin wave hits the eastern NINO 1+2 region (galapagos-centric; slams into the coast) with good momentum, it's like a pawn becoming a king when it reaches the end of the board. The regions, for reference:

Don't get me wrong, any warm water reaching the east pacific is good (with a small handful of exceptions) but these strong, momentum-laden kelvin waves are the backbone for a consistent and long lasting EP based El Nino, which is by far the best El Nino for California precipitation and more broadly, a hyper developed and southerly focused jet stream. (though it is worth noting that weaker positive ENSO phases can actually have a negative effect on rainfall for CA / American SW).

Kelvin wave progression in 2023 can be seen below in a time lapse that helps elucidate how these kelvin waves actually function:

The 7 day average:

Here is the current thermocline, which maps the water temp at given depths. You can see very clearly that there is a lot more warm water downwelling from the west pacific and poised to move eastward:

Typically, the stronger an El Nino is, the earlier and more strongly it begins, as water starts its oscillatory loop eastwards in Q1 or Q2. That's not always true, but it's a good general way to describe it.

Basically, if this ENSO positive event continues like this we could see an event in the ballpark of the 97-98 super El Nino. The fact that we had consecutive years of La Nina also bolsters the odds of this occurring.

The 97 El Nino is legendary; an extremely strong, no holds barred event that had jaw-dropping amounts of warm water, and its resulting alterations of air circulation produced incredible and often devastating effects worldwide.

The general state of the world's weather patterns are significantly more unpredictable than they were in 97, which makes intensity and overall effects even more difficult to predict, but usually when an El Nino is super strong, it tends to bring the entire world circulatory system with it.

It's pretty irresponsible to make any firm predictions of this event; forecasts more than 5-10 days in advance are already dubious, so obviously making a call for something that is happening next winter is just a wild guess. But the elements are all here for an incredibly strong event, and it bears paying close attention.

The 97-98 El Nino arguably switched global circulation into a "La Nina preffered" configuration that we've been in every since (this is a contested point but I believe it to be true). That's how powerful ENSO positive can be; it can make sweeping, extremely long lasting changes to the global circulation. Therefore it is also possible that a strong +ENSO system could flip it the other way, resulting in, for example, a systemic preference for +ENSO outcomes, which would be amazing for the state.

When +ENSO is at its best, there is no other force on earth that can stand up to it; the circulations bend to its will. However, in less strong events, other large-scale circular oscillations can change its output (which is another topic we can get into I guess).

I don't think I need to state that such a strong ENSO event would be huge for the drought-riddled american SW and especially California. That being said, you can't really root for it either because an event like this causes all manner of negative outcome for the rest of the world- and can easily be bad for California too in terms of flooding.

It's important to note though that +ENSO is not the cause of the worst floods in California history. Those floods were generated by a super-charged version of what is happening this winter, actually: sequential atmospheric rivers.

e: happy to go into anything people want to know about El Nino. I was a surfer in Santa Cruz CA for about 20 years before ultimately moving to the Seattle area about 5 months ago. During that time I was fortunate enough to live one block from first peak Pleasure Point and also, later on, two blocks from the Santa Cruz Harbor, which is one of the best waves in the world when it's on.

El Nino is the best thing that can happen to you as a surfer in California for a shitload of reasons- it basically upgrades huge swaths of California into an entirely new surfing coastline with amazing waves everywhere you look.

It also significantly decreases the rainfall in the PNW among many other things. I'm tempted to go crash in CA this next winter and get back into surfing for a while... we'll see.

Anyways, good times, let me know if you have any Qs. ENSO is extremely close to my heart as a surfer and casual meteorologist!

Taima has issued a correction as of 13:17 on Mar 19, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
western ks is in a pretty serious drought so wetter than normal would be good for them rip florida though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

what the gently caress