Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

happyhippy posted:

Susie Dent probably towers over Davis/Hislop, started in 92, does 3-4 shows a week too instead of 1 as the others

Not comedy though, that. If you're gonna do that surely Vorders wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
looooool @ The Apprentice final candidates

final two: one has had a hair salon business in Milton Keynes for 15 years and wants to spend the money on opening a salon in Belgravia. The other one wants to open a boxing gym on Threadneedle Street and plans to make it financially viable by syphoning local council cash and also not paying anyone wages, at all

rejected three:

1. dessert parlour and cocktail bar
2. online pick n' mix sweets business but wants to disrupt the market by... opening kiosks in shopping centres (plans to spend 250k does not include stock or labour)
3. spending 230k on hair... just bags of people's hair

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fatty posted:

I'm probably the only person who actually watches Great British Menu but wow, the heat has been quite significant this week for being bad. During the first judging they looked like cowed schoolchildren. Tom Aikens would have torn them apart.

The northern Ireland ones ? It's brutal. To be honest I've felt the entire season is a bit up and down. There was another heat a few weeks back where the judge was notably more harsh than the others. These poor Irish guys though, it's a slaughter.

I've also realised that every year a new 'alternative' chef is wheeled in. They usually wear a black apron and cook exclusively with open fires. The first time you see one it's quirky and novel. Then year on year the same tatted fire chef archetype turns up serving smoked ice-cream and ash foam.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

mitochondritom posted:

The northern Ireland ones ? It's brutal. To be honest I've felt the entire season is a bit up and down. There was another heat a few weeks back where the judge was notably more harsh than the others. These poor Irish guys though, it's a slaughter.

I've also realised that every year a new 'alternative' chef is wheeled in. They usually wear a black apron and cook exclusively with open fires. The first time you see one it's quirky and novel. Then year on year the same tatted fire chef archetype turns up serving smoked ice-cream and ash foam.

It has been distinctly uncomfortable viewing this year at times. The host, Andi Oliver, looks like she just wants to go get drunk and forget this entire season happened, to be honest.

I had to go watch Gardeners World to chill out after it (and that's how you know we're nearly at the end of winter, Monty Don is back on the TV, cheerfully planting rose bushes in a snowstorm while his beautiful dogs amble about his beautiful garden, god I love Gardeners World)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Good old Gardeners World. Tell me what jobs I need to do, Monty Don!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Red Nose Day was loving grim this year.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
they brought b*witched back from the dead, not like they have anything else better to do on st patricks day

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Even miming the one who can sing was carrying the other three. Which is impressive.

Great British Menu has suffered from the chefs who used to do it not wanting to compete each year and reducing the pool of entrants, and COVID and the Tories killing off any restaurants that are left.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

crispix posted:

looooool @ The Apprentice final candidates

final two: one has had a hair salon business in Milton Keynes for 15 years and wants to spend the money on opening a salon in Belgravia. The other one wants to open a boxing gym on Threadneedle Street and plans to make it financially viable by syphoning local council cash and also not paying anyone wages, at all

rejected three:

1. dessert parlour and cocktail bar

I can't believe they rejected Megan, her idea exists already and isn't super common AND works, at least there's some like that in Manchester.

I went back and watched the first episode of last year's series because I missed it and man it's just got so much more life to it. I feel like there's nothing WRONG with the people this year but it feels weirdly rushed. Their plans are all weirdly poo poo in a way I've never seen before - I don't mean the ideas exactly, but how the plans are written - and there aren't as many characters. Normally quiet people are here because they have good business plans but Sohail for example just didn't seem to exist, then he got fired.
It's been peculiar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Apprentice: I have called Marnie as the winner from the first episode, I've never been right about this before so she won't win

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Finally watched the Pottery Throwdown finale Perhaps the most lopsides series since the original? The finalists had won 8 of the 9 knockout weeks; Caitlin was the only other week winner and that was early on. Looking at the three final makes, the trophy was never going to anyone but Lois. She ended up winning five weeks, including the last three.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Finally watched the Pottery Throwdown finale Perhaps the most lopsides series since the original? The finalists had won 8 of the 9 knockout weeks; Caitlin was the only other week winner and that was early on. Looking at the three final makes, the trophy was never going to anyone but Lois. She ended up winning five weeks, including the last three.

How many times did your man cry? :3:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

HopperUK posted:

How many times did your man cry? :3:

Twice, I think. Once over the graceful fluidity of the clay structure, the layered metaphors of the decoration, and the general emotional meaningfulness of the winners pyramid tulip vase.

The other time was because the engineering bloke done a quite nice drawing.

I love Pottery Judge Keith, bless him heart.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's the absolute best.

e: :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03G38G9Bi0Y

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 18, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Man I disagree
Lois, James, Caitlin and Jon were really strong the whole way through and any of them could have taken it. James did seem like he could but it really rested on how they did at the end.
It was obvious who was going to go and they'd be the last four people, but I'd never say it was obvious who was going to win. Honestly I was hoping Jon would!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taear posted:

Man I disagree
Lois, James, Caitlin and Jon were really strong the whole way through and any of them could have taken it. James did seem like he could but it really rested on how they did at the end.
It was obvious who was going to go and they'd be the last four people, but I'd never say it was obvious who was going to win. Honestly I was hoping Jon would!

I'm not saying it was predictable for the entire finale or during earlier episodes, just that one the final makes were bought out for judging, Lois' effort was the clear standout.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I was rooting for George.

Looking only at the numbers, it was objectively the most lopsided since season 1.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Interview episode of the apprentice. I wish one of the candidates would just tell these cunts to gently caress off and die. Obviously they're useless businesses, otherwise they wouldn't be on the show. But it's just cruel to line them up to be shat on for our alleged entertainment. I know the whole thing is nonsense, but surely just for the sake of even pretend TV credibility, the business plans should have been somewhat filtered to kill the ludicrous ones?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't think anyone with a good business is going to sign up to give away 50% of it for 250k and also be ritually humiliated in front of the viewing public over several weeks

... and also sleep in one bedroom with a whole bunch of other people despite being in what looks like a massive house (?)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

Interview episode of the apprentice. I wish one of the candidates would just tell these cunts to gently caress off and die. Obviously they're useless businesses, otherwise they wouldn't be on the show. But it's just cruel to line them up to be shat on for our alleged entertainment. I know the whole thing is nonsense, but surely just for the sake of even pretend TV credibility, the business plans should have been somewhat filtered to kill the ludicrous ones?

This year's apprentice is the worst ever though. Spelling mistakes and poo poo like that - there's usually just one person who is like that and everyone has a good lol
They're all just poo poo this year

And while it's pretty awful to wheel a load of rubbish people in and poo poo all over them (especially the way they acted with Megan, who had a reasonable plan) it's just been easily the strangest year of the apprentice yet. We're watching last year's for the first time and the contrast between this year and last year is loving HUGE.
For one thing this year it feels a lot more obvious that they're told what the theme of their design is gonna be. And they're way too friendly in the house as well. It makes it feel faker. And yea of course I know it's fake but man it feels REALLY fake.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I havent watched it in years, thought I'd give this episode a go. My major thoughts are - does nobody loving shake hands anymore? And what's this "it's Baroness Brady, actually" dick-swinging? Have they been calling her Karen all series and now suddenly she demands a title?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I havent watched it in years, thought I'd give this episode a go. My major thoughts are - does nobody loving shake hands anymore? And what's this "it's Baroness Brady, actually" dick-swinging? Have they been calling her Karen all series and now suddenly she demands a title?

no point payingdonating for a title if people aren't going to use it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's funny that everyone spells it with only one R but she spells it Karren. I only know this because I watch with subtitles and it always shows it

Also no, covid killed shaking hands thank gently caress

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The last good season was Series 7 where Tom won, despite it being one of the the "I'll put 250k in and take 50%" series.

That was one where the winner was not an arsehole and also deserved to win, not just at the apprentice but at life in general.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I know some of you like The Gold. This should be good:

I really enjoyed the series, but thought that a lot of it had to be bullshit. Will be interesting to see what was real and what wasn't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

The last good season was Series 7 where Tom won, despite it being one of the the "I'll put 250k in and take 50%" series.

That was one where the winner was not an arsehole and also deserved to win, not just at the apprentice but at life in general.

That's the first one I ever saw, he's a millionaire now isn't he? To be fair quite a few people from the show went on to be pretty successful which is unexpected

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Tsietisin posted:

Tom was lovely, but there was no way he would have made it to the final in an old format season. It was clear from the start that Sugar wanted to invest in his business, and that's why he somehow kept mucking through despite losing and being blamed frequently.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fatty posted:

Tom was lovely, but there was no way he would have made it to the final in an old format season. It was clear from the start that Sugar wanted to invest in his business, and that's why he somehow kept mucking through despite losing and being blamed frequently.

He lost something like the first six weeks, it was incredible. The old Apprentice thread on here went nuts when that lovable dork finally won a task.

By contrast I think the runner-up won every single task that year.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

sebzilla posted:

He lost something like the first six weeks, it was incredible. The old Apprentice thread on here went nuts when that lovable dork finally won a task.

By contrast I think the runner-up won every single task that year.

It memory serves, the runner-up didn't help herself by having a business plan of being a private concierge, booking appointments and so on for people who for what ever reason wouldn't do it themselves. When it was pointed out this was a non starter, she changed it in the episode to a sandwich shop. Of course, Tom's plan wasn't actually any good either. His idea was that as well as his chairs, he would somehow sell advice to companies in avoiding back pain for their employees. Basically, the business plans were irrelevant from the very first season they introduced them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

It memory serves, the runner-up didn't help herself by having a business plan of being a private concierge, booking appointments and so on for people who for what ever reason wouldn't do it themselves.

Well they missed a trick there
https://twitter.com/ChuckVacuumBeth/status/1634781787942518784

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Of course, Tom's plan wasn't actually any good either. His idea was that as well as his chairs, he would somehow sell advice to companies in avoiding back pain for their employees. Basically, the business plans were irrelevant from the very first season they introduced them.

Wasn't Tom the nail file guy? I don't remember chairs.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fatty posted:

The nail files were already in production and moderately successful before he went on the show. I still use them!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I don't know how you still watch the apprentice. It's like watching Tub Girl or 2G1C more than once. First time is acceptable for the curiosity and shock, but doing so repeatedly is just plain self-hate.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I will say that I have been hoping for a similar situation to an episode of the US apprentice where most of the losing team are brought back in to the board room. Then because they managed to lose money on the task, all of them are fired.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Fatty posted:

eating only apples posted:

The nail files were already in production and moderately successful before he went on the show. I still use them!

It's the Style File you philistines.

e: StylFile

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also tom was not a man of meagre means to begin with

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Race Around the World starts tonight on BBC.

Celebrity Bake Off started on Sunday on C4. Alison Hammond has been announced as the replacement for the departing Matt Lucas.

C4 has a new reality/gameshow format called Rise and Fall which looks like Next Level Chef without the cooking. Possibly filling the hole left by The Circle? No-one's watching it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

reality_groove posted:

C4 has a new reality/gameshow format called Rise and Fall which looks like Next Level Chef without the cooking. Possibly filling the hole left by The Circle? No-one's watching it.

I've been watching it. It's from the people who made The Traitors and a bit of a reworking of a similar idea, but without any likable contestants.

They voted off a terrible person in the first episode who might have been entertaining, but she was so lacking in self awareness there's no way she was going to last anyway. Apparently one of them is some GB News rent a quote Tory oval office, but she hasn't really featured that much yet.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My daughter is just starting to graduate from CBeebies to CBBC which means I'm now catching some Horrible Histories. It's legit hilarious! I knew it had a reputation and gave them the platform to make Ghosts, but I'm surprised at how often I'm laughing at it (to the confusion of my 4 year old, who doesn't understand much of it at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

My daughter is just starting to graduate from CBeebies to CBBC which means I'm now catching some Horrible Histories. It's legit hilarious! I knew it had a reputation and gave them the platform to make Ghosts, but I'm surprised at how often I'm laughing at it (to the confusion of my 4 year old, who doesn't understand much of it at all).

I CONSUMED those books as a kid. When my niece gets a bit older I'll be introducing her to the show for sure.