Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The 7th Guest posted:

RIP sylens but more importantly the guy from the wire fringe Remedy's quantum break

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1636803371041689600?s=46&t=fd_uiwtJoQUWIXLGjoXqnQ

World is a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The 7th Guest posted:

RIP sylens but more importantly the guy from the wire fringe Remedy's quantum break

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1636803371041689600?s=46&t=fd_uiwtJoQUWIXLGjoXqnQ

Heard about this, what the gently caress

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just started Prey and the bit where you get a wrench and break your balcony window revealing a lab had me like :wth:

Aw I’m so jealous! Remember to look up, lots of goodies in the rafters. Also, don’t believe the vague warnings, just get every neuromod power that sounds cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Everyone raves about the 1 and 2 remakes and is super hype about 4, but I feel like nobody ever talks about 3 I guess.

I loved it. It's my favorite RE and the only one I can see replaying anytime soon. But I'm not a megafan of the series fwiw

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly Mr. X was the low point of RE2 for me and I preferred how Nemesis was handled over him. Mr. X just got annoying after a while and felt like a step down from Jack in RE7 to me. At least once the novelty wears off. Mr. X is great for a bit but after the fourth time I'm taking a detour around the police station, because he decided to spawn where I need to go I start to really tire of him.

It's the main reason why I didn't bother doing another run as Claire. Also, just way too much time spent in the dark with a flashlight compared to 3, not a good way to pay homage to the painstakingly rendered 2D backgrounds of the OG era games.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The 7th Guest posted:

:(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At least for the purposes of the RE4 demo it legit doesn't matter if you burn through tons of ammo in the timed section since that's where the demo ends. And it's not like being "wrong" about the objective carries a significant penalty anyway, if anything that's more immersive (it's not like Leon went into it knowing the church bells would ring and everything would end either). It also wouldn't surprise me if this game had mechanics around giving you pity resources when you're low, a bit like how in The Last of Us even on Grounded difficulty you'd get a fairly high rate of resource drops from enemies if you were out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the first Forspoken-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOFCDgA6a4M

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Awful. And he was always in excellent shape too!

I guess I'll eat more pizza.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

incorporeal posted:

Game doing a number on you

arguing about it on the internet is like a billion times more fun than actually playing it. i'm having a great time and i didn't even need to bother finishing the demo or paying for the full game. win win for me tbh

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you fight them for long enough you meet the criteria of the objective though, right?

If you’re getting overwhelmed and it still says need to fight them off then naturally you should try and avoid dying by doing something like falling back, in order to stay alive and continue fighting them off, which is still working towards the objective it’s given you.

Seems pretty straightforward.

there are two options:

- fight, use ammo and resources, git gud enough to stay alive long enough to win
- run away, preserve ammo and resources; the game teaches you that avoiding danger/fighting is a "correct" way to play = sucky experience

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ShoogaSlim posted:

there are two options:

- fight, use ammo and resources, git gud enough to stay alive long enough to win
- run away, preserve ammo and resources; the game teaches you that avoiding danger/fighting is a "correct" way to play = sucky experience

The whole point is its supposed to be a scenario that encourages you to do both of those things. Fight until you are forced to retreat, then reposition. The village is full of paths to let you get around the villagers.'

You're being a dumb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PantsBandit posted:

The whole point is its supposed to be a scenario that encourages you to do both of those things. Fight until you are forced to retreat, then reposition. The village is full of paths to let you get around the villagers.'

You're being a dumb.

Yeah, basically.

I just played the demo and even more than in the original RE4 it's pretty blatantly impossible to even really make a dent in the number of enemies. The point is to make you feel desperate.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It’s also a great spot to flex your infinite ammo muscle in NG+. :getin:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s almost as if it’s a survival horror game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Like beneath all the suplexing and knife parries it’s still very much about resource management and fight or flight scenarios. Weighing your options in the heat of a desperate situation.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

man nurse posted:

It’s almost as if it’s a survival horror game

Next RE needs crafting and hunger / cold meters. Set it on an abandoned Umbrella research island. Put roving monsters and Mr. X in the woods. I'd play it.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

idk man it was not fun either way i played it and disappointing when a game provides an option of not actually playing it anyway sorry what you like is bad to me ill die on this hill

unpacked and cozy games stay winning bc you have to actually play them lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One odd peculiarity is that English localizations have a tendencies of taking some creative liberties in rewriting, whereas other localizations like the FIGS languages tend to be "closer" to the original Japanese. I just played through it in French and the objective when the "timed" section starts was "survive the attack".

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't know if it's still possible but tbh after my first playthrough of RE4 I would always just run back and forth between the barn and houses nailing ganados in the knees and powerbombing them until the sequence ended. Much simpler than running around to all the houses while the enemies are still active, but less exciting. I suspect I won't have as easy a time of it in the remake. It was real easy to line up shots and stun them in the old one.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Arist posted:

The point is to make you feel desperate.

Succeeded, and I'm like, gently caress this game. I don't want to feel desperate. Anyway I might give it another shot at some point approaching it with the right mindset.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shooga, maybe people would respond more productively to you if you didn't describe "surviving" in a "survival horror" game as "not playing the game"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

BigDumper posted:

For what it’s worth, the opening village segment in the original game is generally regarded as kind of a slog

Who says this… I’ll end them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have to admit I've never heard that anywhere before. The village sequence is so beloved they just fuckin' copied it in RE5 and 8.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so mad at not being able to deal with the opening section that I'm gonna buy the full game so I can blast everyone away with a handgun that hits like a gorilla once I get there on New Game +

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I mean cool, we get it, you don’t like survival horror games. Can you stop harping on and on about it and just move on and post about games you like or something?

Like Theatrhythm is still really fun and the TWEWY DLC tracks just dropped and they’re pretty drat good and making me want to play the games! Pretty cool that the second game is being put on PSN+

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked RE3 remake, but it's very much a rollercoaster you board and ride to the end, versus RE2 where it was more of an organic experience with MrX.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The village part is pretty iconic and beloved, yes.

I'm slightly upset that I forgot where the shotgun is when I played the demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The true remake lineup is Remake, RE2make, Dead Space 2023, RE4make.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm slightly upset that I forgot where the shotgun is when I played the demo.

First time playing the demo I went up the stairs and panicked so much that I kept it off screen assumed it had been moved somewhere else :negative:

I'm on console; those auto aim settings are so drat powerful, goddamn.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

I'm so mad at not being able to deal with the opening section that I'm gonna buy the full game so I can blast everyone away with a handgun that hits like a gorilla once I get there on New Game +

I’m so pumped for literally exactly this. RE4 on GameCube was a game I could replay endlessly and the remake seems like it’s gonna scratch that old itch perfectly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The other thing with Resident Evil games is that they're mostly built as very literal survival games, especially on higher difficulties you are straight-up not provided with enough resources to actually kill everything, coupled with the enemies being super-tanky on these difficulties. On top of some of the games having a bullshit (or at least very hard but fair) higher difficulty that expects you to only experience it as a New Game+ and almost certainly as not your first blind playthrough of the game even if you're a series veteran, even on the lower difficulties you're usually more or less expected to actually run away from situations instead of outright fighting if you can work out a way to do so, especially since one of the series staples is being chased by some all-powerful entity that you can maybe stun but never outright kill, possibly paired with some avenues for actually hiding from them until the coast is clear (e.g. Mr. X in RE2 Remake patrols specific areas and can find out your location if you run/shoot, with the police station having a lot of choke points but very few actual dead ends, you're almost always able to actually take a long way around Mr. X somehow).

Also, this RE4 Remake might be taking a different approach, but many of the others are actually designed to be played multiple times. Resident Evil 2 has four mostly-similar campaigns that have enough different between them to make things interesting, and once you know roughly where things are and how to get around you can zip through a playthrough in 2-2.5 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

The other thing with Resident Evil games is that they're mostly built as very literal survival games, especially on higher difficulties you are straight-up not provided with enough resources to actually kill everything, coupled with the enemies being super-tanky on these difficulties. On top of some of the games having a bullshit (or at least very hard but fair) higher difficulty that expects you to only experience it as a New Game+ and almost certainly as not your first blind playthrough of the game even if you're a series veteran, even on the lower difficulties you're usually more or less expected to actually run away from situations instead of outright fighting if you can work out a way to do so, especially since one of the series staples is being chased by some all-powerful entity that you can maybe stun but never outright kill, possibly paired with some avenues for actually hiding from them until the coast is clear (e.g. Mr. X in RE2 Remake patrols specific areas and can find out your location if you run/shoot, with the police station having a lot of choke points but very few actual dead ends, you're almost always able to actually take a long way around Mr. X somehow).

Also, this RE4 Remake might be taking a different approach, but many of the others are actually designed to be played multiple times. Resident Evil 2 has four mostly-similar campaigns that have enough different between them to make things interesting, and once you know roughly where things are and how to get around you can zip through a playthrough in 2-2.5 hours.

RE4make actually has S+ rankings which require you to do the game on a fresh save without using bonus weapons. It's pretty interesting as it makes the challenge more than just "equip rocket launcher, win."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

RE4make actually has S+ rankings which require you to do the game on a fresh save without using bonus weapons. It's pretty interesting as it makes the challenge more than just "equip rocket launcher, win."

RE2 is also like this. There's S rank but also S+ rank, and for S+ rank you're not allowed to use any of the "infinite ammo" unlockable weapons, have a time limit, and are limited to I think 3 saves (which speedrunners traditionally do before the major bosses of the game since all of them are spicy enough to either kill you or waste a ton of your resources if you get a little unlucky).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

I mean cool, we get it, you don’t like survival horror games. Can you stop harping on and on about it and just move on and post about games you like or something?

I love reading a post that's like "my problem with these new shoes you all like is that I don't really like walking and maybe I don't even have feet." Ok great. Thanks for putting those words in front of me

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I've never heard that anywhere before. The village sequence is so beloved they just fuckin' copied it in RE5 and 8.

Really? I’ve definitely seen it in reviews of the game over the years. The gist of it is that you don’t have any upgraded weapons yet, which makes it one of the hardest segments in the game. I don’t really agree with it either, but I understand the sentiment.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ImpAtom posted:

"Slog" isn't the right word, but it's kind of an odd encounter to have when you're ten minutes into the game. You have to fight an enormous swarm of enemies when you're still getting used to the controls, in what's essentially an arena battle, and then once you make it through, you get to play the game you were expecting where you explore and complete objectives and just fight the monsters between point A and point B.

It's also a pretty difficult sequence if you're not used to that kind of gameplay. I remember bouncing off once or twice back on the PS2 before it really clicked, and then once I finally got through it there wasn't a comparable difficulty spike through the entire rest of the game. It definitely makes sure you know the drat controls, though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The village fight was the subject of every preview in the runup to release and I was so hyped for it and when I finally played it I loved it. Just cannot relate one bit

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’ve been trying to conquer GT7’s drag races but man they are bullshit. Sarah keeps telling me to “beat my opponent” but there’s no loving way. No matter how much I ram into him he seems to take no damage at all! He just happily rolls down the road until the sequence abruptly ends and then Sarah patronizing me about how I “almost caught him.” Whatever! A full speed slam into his side and he didn’t have a dent!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I will definitely say that playing the village fight on the Wii with the motion controlled cursor is one of the best gaming experiences period, though. Leon becomes a golden god of perfect knee shots and suplexes.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Phenotype posted:

"Slog" isn't the right word, but it's kind of an odd encounter to have when you're ten minutes into the game. You have to fight an enormous swarm of enemies when you're still getting used to the controls, in what's essentially an arena battle, and then once you make it through, you get to play the game you were expecting where you explore and complete objectives and just fight the monsters between point A and point B.

It's also a pretty difficult sequence if you're not used to that kind of gameplay. I remember bouncing off once or twice back on the PS2 before it really clicked, and then once I finally got through it there wasn't a comparable difficulty spike through the entire rest of the game. It definitely makes sure you know the drat controls, though.

Yeah slog isn’t the right word, I’m still not sure what the right word to describe that section for a new player learning the game. Maybe “difficult” is enough to describe it? Which is strange because I don’t consider RE4 to be a difficult game by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the intensity of the village fight relative to its placement in the game made it clear that RE4 was action-focused in comparison to its predecessors, and what's more, that you [i]could/i] overcome seemingly insurmountable odds with quick thinking and decent aim

first-time players are most likely to just scrape by until the bell rings but that attitude gives way to :getin: very quickly