Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's an interesting question to think about, really. If everyone who had held the title in WWE disappeared tomorrow, who would you put it on?

My first answer would obviously be Sami because he's amazing, but who else do they have who has been built to that level? Nakamura is more than good enough but he's been booked as an idiot for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cody because it would be really funny if there was an asterisk by his reign which he quit his own company for that said he only got the title because Roman vanished into thin air or quit or whatever

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Can’t forget about that young up-and-comer LA Knight

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

It's an interesting question to think about, really. If everyone who had held the title in WWE disappeared tomorrow, who would you put it on?

My first answer would obviously be Sami because he's amazing, but who else do they have who has been built to that level? Nakamura is more than good enough but he's been booked as an idiot for years.

I'd probably make Chad Gable more like Kurt Angle and have him be a goofy coward that is still a machine in the ring that will destroy others.

If anyone complained I'd just quote Gerald Brisco by asking seriously if the complainer could legitimately outwrestle Gable, then when getting told that they couldn't, responding with "Well that's why he gets to be the champ".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why would they need future stars, they have roman and the bloodline, the greatest wrestling story ever told, they never need anything else

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Sami would be a good choice, Lashley, Nakamura, thats pretty much where my knowledge of wwe wrestlers ends sadly.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Shard posted:

Sami would be a good choice, Lashley, Nakamura, thats pretty much where my knowledge of wwe wrestlers ends sadly.

Lashley was WWE champion for a long time last year lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd say Bron Brekker would be the future but by all reports they've kinda of screwed him over with his current NXT run lamo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Web Jew.0 posted:

Lashley was WWE champion for a long time last year lol

lord im out of date/have a terrible memory

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'd probably make Chad Gable more like Kurt Angle and have him be a goofy coward that is still a machine in the ring that will destroy others.

If anyone complained I'd just quote Gerald Brisco by asking seriously if the complainer could legitimately outwrestle Gable, then when getting told that they couldn't, responding with "Well that's why he gets to be the champ".

I know very little about Chad Gable but he and Otis seem like some of the only guys in WWE (apart from the very top drawers) who look like they're enjoying their time there. This is purely based on the show as I know nothing about his online presence or interviews or anything, but they look like they're in a nice groove, get to wrestle somewhat decent matches, and are having fun with the crowd. They look comfortable. They could just be great workers and very professional but there's a vibe about them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/status/1636061684274978824?t=5Q-eQ3zaQDMUxtBH87Nkiw&s=19

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/RD_justRD/status/1636112424893050880

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...nt=2&utm_term=1

quote:

You don't need pillars for a building that's already built.

The load-bearing superstars were installed years ago.

This is kinda the problem with WWE. The building was built and it's a loving museum.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

This is kinda the problem with WWE. The building was built and it's a loving museum.

WWE's stars have always come from outside (except maybe Cena and Bruno)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

fez_machine posted:

WWE's stars have always come from outside (except maybe Cena and Bruno)

That’s dumb, the wwe built all of its stars itself

Hogan didn’t refine his routine anywhere else, like the AW-

Uh

Well bret definitely didn’t do anything like that, like working in Stam-uh…

Luger! Luger definitely never did that routine anywhere else, like WCW, a-

Austin definitely didn’t refine his bit in ECW, Brock definitely didn’t level massive up by doing UFC, Foley definitely didn’t work anywhere else.

All jokes aside, is it basically HBK as a solo act, the Rock, and Cena who didn’t spend a while refining somewhere else, since the modern era began?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orton/Cena/Rock def come to mind first when it comes to homegrown stuff though Undertaker (as a persona) I'd also put in.

NXT in its golden age was almost entirely just created by raiding Chikara, PWG, ROH, and NJPW. It was absolutely an indie allstars and for a long time it worked beautifully.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This type of take annoys me soooooooo much just a completely blinkered view of how people consume media because they only consume wrestling

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1636799422137761795

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1635068836192854020

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

"I don't understand cool matches if they don't have months of soapy drama and spooky ARGs building to them."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I mean I get the idea of building up a dream match in general but Vikingo doesn’t even work for them and who knows when he’ll be around again. Do the cool poo poo when you can!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

This type of take annoys me soooooooo much just a completely blinkered view of how people consume media because they only consume wrestling

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1636799422137761795

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1635068836192854020

I don't really think Murder Bryan only consumes wrestling though. This is a man who does podcasts about terrible Shock Jocks and about nu-metal!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bonk posted:

"I don't understand cool matches if they don't have months of soapy drama and spooky ARGs building to them."

Please sir, explain how word of mouth at some insane acrobats will improve ratings.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

forkboy84 posted:

I don't really think Murder Bryan only consumes wrestling though. This is a man who does podcasts about terrible Shock Jocks and about nu-metal!
It may not be a bubble thing but it's absolutely a bad take.

To be clear, "I don't care about the business side" or "I don't think fans should care about the business side" are valid takes, but this sort of weird "wrestling is such a stupid fanbase/industry, who gives a gently caress about executives or ratings or etc, no one else gives a poo poo" is basically ignoring decades of people taking great interest/concern/pride in industry goings-on in television, film, radio, publishing, video games, consumer electronics, fashion, business metrics for professional sports, etc. etc. etc.

The WBD thing is an especially weird example given that pretty for any group that enjoys anything produced/released by WBD there are a LOT of people wondering what WBD president David Zaslav is thinking and how it will affect the show/movie/game/comic/etc. they like. People who watched Shazam are likely man of the same people who have been discussing all of the turmoil and the big public announcement of signing Vince Russo James Gunn away from WWF Marvel to come run WCW DC Films, and speculating if he'll bring over Batista Batista with him.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Edge & Christian posted:

It may not be a bubble thing but it's absolutely a bad take.

To be clear, "I don't care about the business side" or "I don't think fans should care about the business side" are valid takes, but this sort of weird "wrestling is such a stupid fanbase/industry, who gives a gently caress about executives or ratings or etc, no one else gives a poo poo" is basically ignoring decades of people taking great interest/concern/pride in industry goings-on in television, film, radio, publishing, video games, consumer electronics, fashion, business metrics for professional sports, etc. etc. etc.

The WBD thing is an especially weird example given that pretty for any group that enjoys anything produced/released by WBD there are a LOT of people wondering what WBD president David Zaslav is thinking and how it will affect the show/movie/game/comic/etc. they like. People who watched Shazam are likely man of the same people who have been discussing all of the turmoil and the big public announcement of signing Vince Russo James Gunn away from WWF Marvel to come run WCW DC Films, and speculating if he'll bring over Batista Batista with him.

The only people who give a poo poo are wrestling twitter people and they’re annoying as hell. I don’t know who could possibly care about them having a brand deal with Shazam.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
nah Bryan is right. Wrestling is the only entertainment where anyone but the weirdos you dismiss seem to desperately need their brand to outcompete the other and pay attention to that back office gossip so much. Especially when they're not even in direct competition. Find another sport, sitcom, or whatever where it's incredibly important that show x on monday beats show y on Wednesday, or that their season has better attendance than the other.

The average consumer just wants the product they watch to keep going, and pays attention if that's endangered. Sure you can find the twitter weirdos or snyderverse folks, but they're not the norm. I'd say it's way more prevalent and tolerated among wrestling consumers than other categories.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 18, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

nah Bryan is right. Wrestling is the only entertainment where anyone but the weirdos you dismiss seem to desperately need their brand to outcompete the other. Especially when they're not even in direct competition. Find another sport, sitcom, or whatever where it's incredibly important that show x on monday beats show y on Wednesday, or that their season has better attendance than the other.

The average consumer just wants the product they watch to keep going, and pays attention if that's endangered. Sure you can find the twitter weirdos or snyderverse folks, but they're not the norm. I'd say it's way more prevalent and tolerated among wrestling consumers than other categories.

It's because wrestling since its inception has been so strictly tied to objective metrics like ticket sales and interest as a measure of subjective quality. This show has more people attending it so it's better than another show, this show has higher ratings so it's better. But nobody ever argues that McDonalds has the best burgers because they sell more of them than anyone else.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

also no tv shows have people in the show talk about their ratings or spot in the show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pylons posted:

It's because wrestling since its inception has been so strictly tied to objective metrics like ticket sales and interest as a measure of subjective quality. This show has more people attending it so it's better than another show, this show has higher ratings so it's better. But nobody ever argues that McDonalds has the best burgers because they sell more of them than anyone else.

I've heard mealy-brained entrepreneurship types say that

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think the fact the management of the companies and what happens to the business has gotten blurred into storylines also has lead to some of that fan thinking too. Sure Stan Lee had his cameos but there was never a Mr. Eisner character threatening to fire Tony Stark from the Avengers to cover for Downey not being available to film the next movie, and they needed to write around him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I always felt caring about the buisiness side of things came from a mixture of trauma from half of mainstream wrestling vanishing overnight and a false idea that while WWE was a monopoly on American TV who they pushed was based on any real metrics and hoping what was there didn't suck as much poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

nah Bryan is right. Wrestling is the only entertainment where anyone but the weirdos you dismiss seem to desperately need their brand to outcompete the other and pay attention to that back office gossip so much. Especially when they're not even in direct competition. Find another sport, sitcom, or whatever where it's incredibly important that show x on monday beats show y on Wednesday, or that their season has better attendance than the other.

I think it's neat you have never played video games, watched movies, TV or any other form of entertainment where there are console wars or advertising across national TV on what is the #1 film at the box office in a particular week.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

I think it's neat you have never played video games, watched movies, TV or any other form of entertainment where there are console wars or advertising across national TV on what is the #1 film at the box office in a particular week.

You should learn to dismiss the weirdos who desperately want to win console wars and not give the person in your friend group who seems to keep pitching you see the #1 movie in box offices soley based on it being #1, or even worse the friend who insists you need to keep going to see the same movie out of loyalty to ensure it remains #1.
We've got a pretty great games subforum here on SA, you'll probably love it way more than gamefaqs!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

You should learn to dismiss the weirdos who desperately want to win console wars and not give the person in your friend group who seems to keep pitching you see the #1 movie in box offices soley based on it being #1, or even worse the friend who insists you need to keep going to see the same movie out of loyalty to ensure it remains #1.
We've got a pretty great games subforum here on SA, you'll probably love it way more than gamefaqs!

The literal companies are the ones spending millions of dollars to tell us their movie was #1 this week or that a show is #1 in late night. It's not weirdos, it's entire industries.

GameFAQs probably has a lot more traffic than the SomethingAwful Games forum too.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Coolness Averted posted:

Music fans, comic book fans, video game fans, and anime fans all do the same thing. It's a fandom thing, it's not wrestling in particular.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You have to remember you’re posting on a dedicated subforum for wrestling turbonerds which is just one piece of a large patchwork that is the general presence of wrestling turbonerds on the internet.

You and I and everyone else who participates are the wrestling version of those freaks who really care about how well the latest marvel thing does at the box office.

For every wrestling fan who posts and discusses and debates it endlessly on the internet there are hundreds if not thousands of people who just watch the wrestling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

some of you have never seen pop star stans talk to one another

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Just :lol: at the idea that tribalism in the form of brand loyalty, and obsessing over how well a particular brand does in terms of ratings/box office/sales, is somehow a thing that only pro wrestling fans tend to do. There were people who literally wanted DC movies to do huge box office for the sole reason that they didn't like Marvel movies or characters. And that's just using a very recent example. None of this is anything new.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

after mentally comparing it to console wars as you requested, i'm afraid i think it's even stupider now

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Remember when Scorsese was negative about Marvel movies and everyone was cool and normal about it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Crossover between CHUD everyone on twitter is dunking on and making fun of their old tweets and this thread:

https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/1533249953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

Crossover between CHUD everyone on twitter is dunking on and making fun of their old tweets and this thread:

https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/1533249953

she's like some kind of weird anti-dril, she has a bad tweet for every occasion