Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo this week's episode is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
yea, that was really good. It being a modern topic helped out I think a ton

Would say one of the best one of recent times.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I always assumed the guy who died riding a Segway was its creator, not the guy who bought the company, so I learned something

Good god, they were not kidding about Jeff Bezos's laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MewROa1EU_o

Binowru fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 5, 2023

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Binowru posted:

I always assumed the guy who died riding a Segway was its creator, not the guy who bought the company, so I learned something

same. a place by me had a series of woven tapestries that depicted inventors killed by their inventions, and the segway guy falling off the cliff was one of them.

glad i didn't buy them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was not familiar with the Typhoid Mary story before, but drat that's hosed up

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The Past Times is good but it's jarring how it was obviously recorded 1-2 years ago. Wonder why they held on to them so long.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The Past Times is good but it's jarring how it was obviously recorded 1-2 years ago. Wonder why they held on to them so long.

Maybe they had been trying to launch it as its own podcast and it just wasn't taking?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Could also depend on schedules too. Maybe they have a stretch coming up where it will be hard to record together on a regular basis and were saving them for that time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Really? What makes you think that? I never noticed it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gareth is gonna be touring half the midwest for the rest if the winter until like april, so maybe he wont be around for dave? Who lnows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Who?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

L’il Garfy

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Benji

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave’s acquaintance

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

rotinaj posted:

Dave’s acquaintance ARCH NEMESIS

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Really? What makes you think that? I never noticed it.

I can't remember any specific episodes, but they offhandedly mention the date they're recording a couple of times and it's 2021, when you notice it it's kinda weird

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

flesh dance posted:

I can't remember any specific episodes, but they offhandedly mention the date they're recording a couple of times and it's 2021, when you notice it it's kinda weird

Also certain comments will just be weird, unless they're from a while ago. Like in the recent episode with Al Madrigal when they seriously opened about crypto catching on.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The latest Past Times, the one with Marc Maron, was really good. Maron was surprisingly funny as well. I looked like a crazy person on the bus as I was choking back laughter at the not-insane Sacramento man who commited suicide by steak.

Offler fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 24, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am guessing that since this was recorded during lockdown, we are getting more "celebrity guests" than what we get on The Dollop. Everyone was looking for something to do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I am guessing that since this was recorded during lockdown, we are getting more "celebrity guests" than what we get on The Dollop. Everyone was looking for something to do.

This was recorded since richard belzer died on feb 19 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hadn't heard it yet, but all the others were recorded a while ago so was just going off that pattern.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally fair, i just happened to be listening to the episode in question while reading the thread and they mentioned belzer’s last words being “gently caress you, motherfucker”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I skipped last week's and this week's episodes on PG&E, I'm certain it'll be full of corporate maleficence and ruined lives.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My ex-wife has family in Chico and, formerly, in Paradise, so PG&E Part 2 marks the first-ever Dollop where I've personally known people who were affected by the story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It's a baseball episode.

It's on Ricky Henderson.

It's at least a two parter.

EdMcMahon.gif

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
It's great so far. I was upset when it ended.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A Dollop about baseball, especially in the latter half of the 20th century, or about boxing particularly in the latter half of the 19th century is always going to be a good time you have while listening to how someone had an extremely bad time.

e: I knew jack poo poo about baseball other than what I soaked up from Deep Space Nine trade paperbacks when I was a kid (a couple of authors really ran with the Sisko-likes-baseball thing), and generally knowing that it was from the mid-19th century and had a bunch of history and racism when I started listening to the Dollop, so every baseball episode is a fresh set of revelatory looks into a universe much like my own, but weirder.

Baseball is why I know they'll never run out of Dollops, they'll just hit a point where they have to decide whether they want to be about increasingly niche, batshit sports-history stories or move on to another remit.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 14, 2023

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I haven't had a chance to listen yet but any story about Rickey Henderson cannot help but be amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just hope they tell the hilarious John Olreud story

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteClosedGroundbeetle-mobile.mp4

You can only be mad at this if you're jealous as hell

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It's even less of a thing than I remember.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Really?!?! That's it?

Knows-nothing-about-baseball question: if he had caught the ball, and then let it slip out of his glove afterward during that motion, would that somehow have not been an Out? Seems from the outside like the Out happens when the ball is caught, and the rest is just getting it back to the pitcher to decide whether he wants to throw it again or swap for a fresh one.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'll have to check the unwritten rules and get back to you

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Really?!?! That's it?

Knows-nothing-about-baseball question: if he had caught the ball, and then let it slip out of his glove afterward during that motion, would that somehow have not been an Out? Seems from the outside like the Out happens when the ball is caught, and the rest is just getting it back to the pitcher to decide whether he wants to throw it again or swap for a fresh one.

It's iffy. For a catch to count, a player needs to be in obvious control of the ball after catching it. Like, a player can't catch the ball while diving just to have the ball bounce out of the player's glove when he lands. Or if a player seemingly catches the ball, but the ball falls out of their grip before they could try to throw it, then the catch may not count. If an umpire had called that player out just for Rickey to drop the ball during his flourish, then it would have been a hard call to reverse, but umpires have done that.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 16, 2023

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Even though it'd be dealing with fairly recent events, I want them to do an episode on Bartolo Colon. The man is a great player with a long career and a really interesting story and funny personality. He rules.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

Even though it'd be dealing with fairly recent events, I want them to do an episode on Bartolo Colon. The man is a great player with a long career and a really interesting story and funny personality. He rules.

I think my choice would be Satchel Paige

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think my choice would be Satchel Paige

Ep 519, satchel paige and trujillo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

They very briefly touched on it in the Cocaine Pirates, but Doc Ellis would amazing, especially the denouement.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

swickles posted:

They very briefly touched on it in the Cocaine Pirates, but Doc Ellis would amazing, especially the denouement.

I just learned that it's not "Doc" Ellis like I always thought it was, it's Dock Ellis, because his name is Dock, and that'd probably be worth a couple minutes all by itself on the Dollop ("'Dock'? Really? 'Yeah, these are my boys, Dock and Pier, and my daughter, Harbor. Get over here and say hi, kids.'").

What I already knew about it was that he was basically sitting at a friend's house tripping when someone noticed in the paper that he was supposed to be pitching later that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I can’t believe there isn’t any tape of that game