Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.
Because other than the UK fag/cigarette thing, which I don't think people get probed for, everyone pretty much agrees those other words are slurs in any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Dude that sucks! Take care of yourself

In my time as mod, Greg has gone through... What six accounts? Something like that.

I don't see him as necessarily a harmful poster, just one that doesn't always toe the line well and gets hit for it. I don't think he's a candidate for a permanent goodbye at all honestly, not in the same nature of those long gone. He's generic white noise shitposter #273 imo

I know we have that rule against gimmick accounts and the like but it's never really been enforced because it's a legacy rule from long ago. That's probably one that'll be purged in the rules redo

Oh I don't want anyone to get the perma goodbye unless they're terminally unfunny and punching down/just being an rear end in a top hat instead of trying to be funny or constructive. I'm also not against gimmick posters at all if they're good. Some of the most beloved posters of all time are pure gimmick. Except driftingmouse, please permanently ban them immediately. They post the laziest death threads with a link and maybe 1 line if that. Worthless disrespectful to the dead poster.

To the person saying I don't like gbs, yeah maybe that's what's it's turned into? It's been my default for things to read, joke about, laugh at, etc for longer than I've been alive. Dunno, the overly modded first half of gbs' life is pretty universally decried as the nadir of gbs, but it also had the most and best posters of that era who have all long gone. Am I an old that doesn't like the change, I dunno. It hasn't been the same since Lowtax killed it and made gbs 3.0 a decade ago. Maybe we should have some fun posting or content creation contests. Ms paint thread!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I like the moda

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I like the moda

wtf

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Auto probe Methanar anytime he posts

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How about using oval office when used for trump and putin gets a carte blanche because they are loving cunts

e - and when people talk about me

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh I don't want anyone to get the perma goodbye unless they're terminally unfunny and punching down/just being an rear end in a top hat instead of trying to be funny or constructive. I'm also not against gimmick posters at all if they're good. Some of the most beloved posters of all time are pure gimmick. Except driftingmouse, please permanently ban them immediately. They post the laziest death threads with a link and maybe 1 line if that. Worthless disrespectful to the dead poster.

To the person saying I don't like gbs, yeah maybe that's what's it's turned into? It's been my default for things to read, joke about, laugh at, etc for longer than I've been alive. Dunno, the overly modded first half of gbs' life is pretty universally decried as the nadir of gbs, but it also had the most and best posters of that era who have all long gone. Am I an old that doesn't like the change, I dunno. It hasn't been the same since Lowtax killed it and made gbs 3.0 a decade ago. Maybe we should have some fun posting or content creation contests. Ms paint thread!

I had been considering coming up with some creativity contest threads but I'm not sure what to do. During lockdown we ran a Bake Off contest which went down pretty well and I'd love to see more of that. :3:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

I get it. I’ve been on the site (front page reader) since the beginning but I didn’t get involved with the forums until much later and don’t have the same nostalgia for the old days so I don’t mind current GBS although it’s definitely seem better days. I “blame” phone posting more than anything else…and I say this as a phone poster. It’s easier to do one liners from a phone rather than actual creative effort posts.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nooner posted:

Maybe the best solution is just to give everyone mod buttons and ability to give a hot 6 to whoever they like

Chaos reigns

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nooner posted:

Maybe the best solution is just to give everyone mod buttons and ability to give a hot 6 to whoever they like

Chaos reigns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Charles Bukowski posted:

Maybe we should have some fun posting or content creation contests. Ms paint thread!

Be the change you want to see, an MS Paint thread would probably be pretty successful in current GBS

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Saalkin posted:

Auto probe Methanar anytime he posts

Good proposal imo

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

MrQwerty posted:

Be the change you want to see, an MS Paint thread would probably be pretty successful in current GBS

Yeah nowadays there are apps you can draw with pretty easily. If anything is probably easier to do it on a phone anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I will enthusiastically draw many mspaint penises for any thread that comes up

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bagmonkey posted:

Good proposal imo

ya this one too

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

We should probably just free Chinatown he's been gone long enough I think he learned his lesson

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Smugworth posted:

We should probably just free Chinatown he's been gone long enough I think he learned his lesson

Chinatown will return in:

gently caress da mods

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
how do you buy someone else plat, im worried if he doesnt get an email or pm he will never know he got unbanned :ohdear:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Nooner posted:

how do you buy someone else plat, im worried if he doesnt get an email or pm he will never know he got unbanned :ohdear:

you need the username on the account and the email address tied to the account

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Yeah because you know I just keep a goddamn rolodex of every users email address :jerkbag:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Nooner posted:

Yeah because you know I just keep a goddamn rolodex of every users email address :jerkbag:

yeah the systems regarding purchasing upgrades and avatars are pretty wanting and 20 years out of date

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nooner posted:

Of course not, that'd be silly.

You would use a Palm Pilot.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

MrQwerty posted:

yeah the systems regarding purchasing upgrades and avatars are pretty wanting and 20 years out of date

:10bux: to send a message over the internet seemed more reasonable back when it cost a quarter to shoot your friend a text

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just try Chinatown@ various domains until he replies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, allowing oval office in the Commonwealth threads is allowing for context. The usage of the word is different in those places, so it is allowed there. In non-explicitly Commonwealth threads it is banned.

The rules about word usage as they currently exist set clear expectations and allow for a more consistent and timely response. Having a clear line in the sand makes it easier for people to report violations, and makes it easier to respond to them. There are so many posts per day, and so many threads, that thinking a mod or IK is going to read every single one, much less within a timely manner, is unreasonable. If the rules on word usage were relaxed or made entirely context-dependent it would mean people would be more likely to test the boundaries, posts would linger longer with no response, and punishment for violations would seem that much more arbitrary depending on which individual mod was evaluating the context of the post.

It's honestly a little tedious having to enforce the wordfilter rules, but at least it is pretty clear and unambiguous. It really doesn't come up all that often, and we can sometimes go days without having to probe for it. While I understand some people are not thrilled by the current set of rules around word usage I don't think there are alternative approaches which would be both practical and effective.

This is feedback from a former gbs mod: you're a dumbass

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

For a gift certificate, you just need some way to contact the person you're trying to give it to. Which, in the absence of them having PMs gets way more difficult. If a situation like this arises we could request the person be given plat in order to receive the gift certificate, Rube Goldbergian as that is.

Jose posted:

This is feedback from a former gbs mod: you're a dumbass

Well, yeah, obviously.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You should switch out more often too. Gbs is gbs just swap mods often. I know I was guilty of getting lazy

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm an Australian and despite what people seem to sometimes get from my posts I don't think there's anything wrong with banning the word. My problem is a lot of other poo poo floating by randomly because it "isn't as harmful" or some poo poo.

That mods apparently get together and collectively ban one specific word because it harms people but you get to see people unironically describing things they don't like as "aids" is kind of hosed up.

Say the "c-word"? Instant probe. Call someone the "r-word"? Maybe something will happen if it gets reported. Say someone's opinions are "aids"? Eh, who cares.

A lot of people say a lot of horrible poo poo with no recourse, including directed slurs, but it's only words that are milquetoast outside the US that y'all care about? loving weird.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm an Australian and despite what people seem to sometimes get from my posts I don't think there's anything wrong with banning the word. My problem is a lot of other poo poo floating by randomly because it "isn't as harmful" or some poo poo.

That mods apparently get together and collectively ban one specific word because it harms people but you get to see people unironically describing things they don't like as "aids" is kind of hosed up.

Say the "c-word"? Instant probe. Call someone the "r-word"? Maybe something will happen if it gets reported. Say someone's opinions are "aids"? Eh, who cares.

A lot of people say a lot of horrible poo poo with no recourse, including directed slurs, but it's only words that are milquetoast outside the US that y'all care about? loving weird.

It's been more than 20 years so AIDS is funny now south park said it's okay now

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

syntaxfunction posted:

people unironically describing things they don't like as "aids" is kind of hosed up.

are there a lot of aids fans?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jose posted:

You should switch out more often too. Gbs is gbs just swap mods often. I know I was guilty of getting lazy

You also brutalized meggido into the mod position!!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jose posted:

Yea you were the worst the mods we have now are the best

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jose posted:

There ain't a brigade of posters trampling down the doors to be mod my friend

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

agreed that the double standard is dumb and that only certain words being kill on sight is bad policy rather than punishing actually hosed up posts. what's the deal with aids though. i thought it was like calling something cancer

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As far as I'm concerned, allowing oval office in the Commonwealth threads is allowing for context. The usage of the word is different in those places, so it is allowed there. In non-explicitly Commonwealth threads it is banned.

Could not disagree more with this. Allowing a word in certain threads while blanket banning it in all others isn't taking context into consideration, it's a shortcut designed to avoid context. Now if someone uses the word in a bigoted way in one of the whitelisted threads it's liable to go unpunished, while if someone uses it in an obviously benign way anywhere else they get probed for it. I'd argue it's worse than choosing either extreme of just allowing it everywhere or nowhere. If you can't be hosed to actually read the posts that get reported and try to make an informed decision, then just drop the ban completely or set it to autoban.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So aids was a horrific thing and is still used as a homophobic slur particularly towards gay men. Literally being pushed away or ostracised and mocked because "we don't want aids" still happens, a lot, to a lot of people. I've seen it a bunch in the gaming subforums which I get isn't GBS but since y'all seem happy to basically make the "c-word" probatable site-wide you can figure it out.

Having known people who were outed and beaten while being mocked for being "an aids having human being" (I will laugh my rear end off if I get probed for that) it becomes pretty hosed up seeing people using it casually for a loving game or movie. "Oh wow that movie is so aids" cool go hate crime it I guess.

This is a specific example of something that happens both *in America* (which is apparently the important part) as well as elsewhere. Again, make the "c-word" probatable, but don't pretend you're performing actions against slurs just because it offends American women while everything else is fine.

And if your moderation rule is "we only care if enough people complain" well that's kind of hosed that you won't listen to minorities by definition.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ah. am i good to call things cancer still or does that have a secret dark history too

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Also why isn't "twat" banned? Why isn't "bitch" banned? What's different about these words? I'm honestly not trying to be an internet debate lord. As far as I can tell those words get used just as much if not more to disparage women, and people absolutely should catch probes/bans for using them that way. But for some reason context is taken into account with these but not the other one.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

MrQwerty posted:

Lol, if you had their email you could just email them in the first place instead of pm. How silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ah. am i good to call things cancer still or does that have a secret dark history too

I mean people that have experienced loss from cancer probably don't like it! I think the problem is it makes you sound like an reddit poster than anything :shrug: