Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Myok posted:

My first meadows base was on the shore of a lake well inland, because at that point I thought I'd reached the ocean. So it was an "oops" and has made metal-shlepping a minor pain, but on the positive side, it's far enough away from my dock that my ships aren't taking weather damage when I'm doing other things.

Oops. Too far inland to dredge a canal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Thanks for the responses! I think based on the way we play and what I'm hearing, the ideal would be an intersection of some of the biomes. Personally I really want to be able to build a safe harbor for the aesthetic. Something like a walled village with a harbor at the center. A couple of the guys in the group are very much builders in the way they play these games and I didn't want them to feel like they wasted their time if we should have built our main hub in a later biome.

Yeah, that's why I build mine on the plains, but that's also a long way out. The other aspect of this is that the place you will most regularly return to is the swamps, which are also where I would settle the least. An early base with good sea access will last you most of the game as long as you build smaller ones for resource extraction and conversion. It's generally easier to refine and make on-site, imo, generally, with the exception being late-tier iron extraction after you've already beat the swamps.

My main asks for updates beyond the new biomes are 67 degree darkwood roofs (at least) and sod roofs in the swamp that take on the planting abilities and grass appearance of the biome they are built in.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

rjmccall posted:

Oops. Too far inland to dredge a canal?

Quite a ways. Though, for the work it took to level a cart-friendly road through the black forest to the ocean shore, I probably could have done a canal. Didn't think of it at the time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Thanks for the responses! I think based on the way we play and what I'm hearing, the ideal would be an intersection of some of the biomes. Personally I really want to be able to build a safe harbor for the aesthetic. Something like a walled village with a harbor at the center. A couple of the guys in the group are very much builders in the way they play these games and I didn't want them to feel like they wasted their time if we should have built our main hub in a later biome.

The biome intersections are also hilarious places to watch creatures from each biome aggro the hell out of each other. Watching a lox rampage through greylings and greydwarves is good clean fun :getin:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

A lot of very game-changing build materials are found in later biomes: they may find themselves with the urge to rebuild the base as you unlock them regardless.

This game gives a great deal of incentive to build outposts everywhere, as the logistics and running around necessary to centralize your stockpiles and supply lines is pretty onerous and time consuming, especially when it comes to metals and the like. I would encourage you and your builders to embrace it and never stop building (and posting) awesome bases.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I build my first base in the meadows, on the ocean, and ideally very close to both a large black forest and swamp. If I can't get both, I'll do the black forest.

Second base goes up in the plains ideally near a mistlands and is primarily made from stone and darkwood. I'll slowly migrate all my equipment over there and spend more and more time in it.

I don't bother building bases in other biomes. I would love to build a mountains base but it's the shortest biome by far and generally not worth it because hauling ores and such to the mountains is dumb.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The thing is that you're going to have outposts in multiple places, and once you get portals transporting anything other than ore or finished ingots is trivial, so from a logistics standpoint all that matters is that your main base has convenient access to the sea. We have our main base in the meadows and then small island outpost farms in the plains and mistlands for those crops.

The other thing to realize is that as you defeat bosses harder enemies start spawning in the earlier biomes at night, so even being in the meadows won't save you from things like Fulings or Seekers. Islands you can just take over completely and be safe from most things, and peninsulas can be good too if you dig a moat or just have a big fuckoff wall. I wish they would implement drawbridges though.

Other than that let aesthetics reign. We're currently building a replica of Helm's Deep in some plains at the base of a mountain.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

First base goes in the Meadows near the shore. I actually say don't worry about being too close to the black forest or swamp, it'll up the spawn rate of annoying hostiles quite a bit, while it's pretty easy to gather metals along the shore and ship it back. Especially if there's a bunch of you you're going to need to do that to get sufficient quantities anyway.

Second base goes in the Plains, since there's stuff you'll want to grow there. Again on the shore, ideally on a peninsula where it's easy to spawn proof and farm in.

And then I feel like a third one in the Mistlands would be good, again for growing stuff.

thekeeshman posted:

Other than that let aesthetics reign. We're currently building a replica of Helm's Deep in some plains at the base of a mountain.

Excellent advice honestly.

Re drawbridges I make a bridge and just leave a 1m gap in it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 17, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

thekeeshman posted:

The thing is that you're going to have outposts in multiple places, and once you get portals transporting anything other than ore or finished ingots is trivial, so from a logistics standpoint all that matters is that your main base has convenient access to the sea. We have our main base in the meadows and then small island outpost farms in the plains and mistlands for those crops.

The other thing to realize is that as you defeat bosses harder enemies start spawning in the earlier biomes at night, so even being in the meadows won't save you from things like Fulings or Seekers. Islands you can just take over completely and be safe from most things, and peninsulas can be good too if you dig a moat or just have a big fuckoff wall. I wish they would implement drawbridges though.

There are mods for drawbridges. In the base game though I manage to make kinda the next best thing. As far as I know monsters don't jump, at all, so they're not programmed for it even if that 'jumping' doesn't involve the space bar at all. A gap across a moat bridged by a ramp starting at ground level and going down into the moat gap that doesn't quite touch the other side leads to a very tiny gap that you can just walk off, fall on to the ramp, and keep motoring on without ever breaking stride. It counts as 'jumping' for the AI, and you never have to do anything but hold down the forward key.

A crappy ASCII art explanation:
code:
__     __
  |  /|
  | / |

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

There are mods for drawbridges.

Yeah but for some reason one of the big ones for them is incompatible with V+ and I can't figure out why.

I know plant everything is client side, but are any of the "craft from containers" or "no refuel" mods client side only? I could be persuaded to switch away from V+ if so

Burns
May 10, 2008

Okay I wanted to post some photos of our private server's first town. Gonna try to post links to Steam photos so not sure if it will work correctly.

Welcome to Shogunheim! (named after my friends' American Akita - he's a goood boi)

A view of the main area with all processing facilities, our bridge and my little tower.

The top of the bridge. We carved the canal to bisect this island and built the bridge high enough to allow ships to go through:

A look towards Shogunheim - this was initially a lagoon we expanded:

Gregorheim - a lighthouse initially built when we started playing by fellow goon:

Gatehouse towards the east. Notice the amount of our happy little murderers:

My main spawn room

Kitchen:

Main workshop and storage area:

Feasthall and display room:

The main portal hub:

Docks:

And a look back from the southern walls:

We have a base that spans 3 biomes basically which I might post later.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t care for portal restrictions, so I modded them out. What a great idea to make an island base with that in mind.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
We need to have a worlds tour at some point of all the cool poo poo on each server

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Burns posted:

Okay I wanted to post some photos of our private server's first town. Gonna try to post links to Steam photos so not sure if it will work correctly.

We have a base that spans 3 biomes basically which I might post later.

:justpost:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else play with a gamepad on PC? The last patch made a bunch of changes to the gamepad. I just tried to play for a few minutes with the patch on and they borderline broke gamepad usability.

For example - Previously while in the map, left stick moves the map around and right stick is zoom in/out. Now, it does that but [i[also[/i] still applies left stick to move your character around like you weren't in the map. And right stick does nothing, wtf.

They already have a hotfix in public test, so maybe I just need to wait a few days to see if they sorted it out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

With the Xbox release I'm looking to set up a dedicated server since I'll be playing crossplay with pc steam, pc gamepass, and new Xbox gamepass players, but I've never set one up before. I don't want to be forking out too much but I don't mind paying a bit above whatever is considered a cheap rate to prioritise convenience and ease of setup, along with customer service should I run into problems or need help. What are some good go-to recommendations for a decent provider?

Are there any potential issues I should know about going in? I know mods likely won't work and I read about Xbox users having to check that crossplay is enabled on a system level but is there anything else people have run into that caused problems?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did something change since I played like two years ago? I swear I used to be able to farm fine wood much easier, now I never have enough. I almost remember getting one seed per player-planted tree but I'm not sure I can be certain of that. I do know I'm gearing up to fight bonemass and I'm still spending hours running around finding fine wood for portals every so often when I remember it was at one point a solved problem.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Alrighty, this stop is still a work in progress area that my friend initially started because he wanted to build a Minas Tirith-ish place. Welcome to Murzyn Tirith (named after my friend's cat).

Please note that we arent running any mods so everything was built vanilla with its limitations.

First off, the Myrzun Tirith port with docks and a breakwater with a small little light house (it might be rebuilt in the future):

This was our first Plains farm but now its more of a garden:

The port also contains our smelters and blast furnaces as most iron is usually imported from afar (this island does have a Swamp but it spawned no Crypts)

The gatehouses towards the Black Forest and chicken coop. the main port building is to the left:

A tower overlooking the gate to the Plains. There are Fuling spawns nearby so the Ballistae see a lot of action. (one of them ballistae is inside the base of the building). this area requires pretty heavy fortifications.

These were built before ballistae were able to be given targets so the idea was to ensure they can still attack while also allowing us to move in and out more safely.

Another view of the port:

The north wall looking towards the port:

The north wall looking towards the Mountain. More gatehouses with towers and ballistae are present here. mostly set to engage Fulings. We have basically an infinite supply of Black Metal at this point.

A look towards the main building. This is what started it all on this island. It is still a work-in-progress.

The interior of the north wing. Still WIP

A view of the "prow":

More interior. this likely will all be rebuilt if my friend decided to get back into it.

A view of the entire structure. The amount of stone this consumed is.. a mountain's worth.

The south wall is quite basic and is still WIP

A view from the prow onto the farm fields and port. the fields are segmented and on different elevations.

A view from the Black Forest

And finally the porthouse bedroom to end

The biggest hurdle we face here is performance. I run the server off of my PC which is a i7 4770K with 32 gb of RAM and a 1070 GTX but its showing its age. We had to strip out a lot of decoration to improve performance. I'd like to offload the server to one those rented servers if I can find something for a decent price.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Did something change since I played like two years ago? I swear I used to be able to farm fine wood much easier, now I never have enough. I almost remember getting one seed per player-planted tree but I'm not sure I can be certain of that. I do know I'm gearing up to fight bonemass and I'm still spending hours running around finding fine wood for portals every so often when I remember it was at one point a solved problem.

They might have changed the seed drop rates but I don't recall it being dramatically different. The only way I've ever been to get mass fine wood is to clearcut entire plains islands.

Burns posted:

Alrighty, this stop is still a work in progress area that my friend initially started because he wanted to build a Minas Tirith-ish place. Welcome to Murzyn Tirith (named after my friend's cat).

Please note that we arent running any mods so everything was built vanilla with its limitations.

First off, the Myrzun Tirith port with docks and a breakwater with a small little light house (it might be rebuilt in the future):

The biggest hurdle we face here is performance. I run the server off of my PC which is a i7 4770K with 32 gb of RAM and a 1070 GTX but its showing its age. We had to strip out a lot of decoration to improve performance. I'd like to offload the server to one those rented servers if I can find something for a decent price.

Lookin' good. I love the scale of the place. I'm always hesitant to build at that scale because of those performance issues.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Man, I thought the copper tin grind was a bit heavy. Outfitting 5 players with iron gear is looking like a brutal grind

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man, I thought the copper tin grind was a bit heavy. Outfitting 5 players with iron gear is looking like a brutal grind

You can skip a lot of it. An iron mace is really the only weapon you immediately need. Maybe an iron sledge too. An axe or sword will help you kill abominations faster (but isnt required if there are flame pits nearby), and you can use them for armor much like you can skip bronze armor in favor of troll. I haven't played in a group of 5 but I'd imagine 1 person at least probably should be in iron but I was happy in wood armor up until the mountains.

Also you'll be back for more iron later, don't worry. It's why every base I make needs to be coastal: no matter what you're going to be hauling iron back to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No, if anything it should be easier now, since two years ago birch and oak trees weren't plantable at all. And as of now they don't drop a full 1 seed/tree (beeches do, but not fine wood yielding trees), so your best bet is to drop a portal down in a distant Plains biome (meadows will do it haven't been out there yet) and just harvest the trees there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anecdotally I feel like it was definitely much easier to farm fine wood than it is now

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Full iron gear is for absolute suckers. Get some weapons and some Root armor and move on. Root armor is basically the best armor in the game until Mistlands anywho.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think in my group of six we had like two people opt for actually doing iron, the rest of us either stayed in troll armor or went with root armor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The correct answer is Troll Armor into Fenris Armor

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Root trivialises Bonemass tbh, it's well worth picking up and the aboms are easy enough to kill when you learn their patterns and have at least a top bronze shield to parry them with

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary, more about Ashlands and upcoming smaller "Hildir’s Quest" update

Ashlands terrain looks different than shown before, they probably used placeholder terrain from Mistlands

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Does anyone have any interesting world seeds they'd like to share? I am about to start a new game and wondered if there were any exceptional Mistlands seeds about.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My current seed has a very, very small starting meadows and all the bosses in roughly the same direction. I only just got to the mistlands and found a (to me) very large fog free valley with roots ideal for a large base.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I made the mistake of building my first main hub base on an island mostly full of Black Forest, back when I was still at the raft-and-flint-tools tech level. After countless annoying greydwarf incursions and a few rather damaging troll attacks, I killed the Elder alongside my brother and took his power, then proceeded to clear-cut a good quarter of the island and meticulously eradicate every greydwarf nest before building a stone wall around my living area. Now I finally live in peace - except for regularly having to jump over my wall and murder things when I hear them hitting my boat :argh:

It's pretty funny to see everyone's practical advice re: base placement. I accidentally landed on something like that since I thought an island lair sounded badass. My brother built within spitting distance of the standing stones and now every expedition is followed by parking the longship at the docks, transferring stuff over to a cart, and hauling anything that doesn't fit by hand while we bash said cart over rocks uphill both ways in a thunderstorm.

I suspect I'll be able to convince him to relocate soon though. I sailed to the edge of the world to see what would happen (and then scummed out after yeeting over the edge, oops) and poked around in some Mistlands along the way. Managed to pick up all sorts of interesting things, including a chunk of black marble that some dvergr mages blasted off of their tower while atomizing a Seeker. That poo poo looks tight as gently caress - I'm thinking we find a teeny little island in the middle of the sea, raise it up as needed, and build a sweet stone and marble fortress towering above the waves (complete with a high, broad arch to sail the ship under when we return home).

Burns
May 10, 2008

Does deforesting the black forest actually reduce graydwarf spawns?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Burns posted:

Not that I've seen!! It makes it easier to see them coming though, and they tend to get confused if everything is absolutely covered in fallen logs. I did notice a substantial downtick in graydwarf annoyingness when I found and destroyed those nests though - pretty sure they were close enough to be active, and the spawns were wandering over to me while I was busy doing viking things like forgetting to eat and accidentally smashing my raft on rocks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Not at all. Spawners are essentially invisible points that will pop whatever entity they spawn at whatever interval they are set to spawn them at with iirc the only limitation being a limit on the number of active entities from that spawner. The only way to stop something from spawning is to build a "base structure" (crafting benches, beds, wards, most sources of light as a general rule) within the effective radius of the structure, which is identical to the radius a workbench provides for building. Some special spawners, like greydwarf nests and bone piles, will stop spawning when destroyed. But spanners will happily drop new entities in sight of you without a care in the world. This logic also applies to event spawners, but. If the entire area of the red event area is covered by a base structure, you won't get any event spawns.

Which is why the general guide for building an impenetrable base includes finding an island small enough that you can cover it in base structure, thereby denying all spawns connected to you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sometimes event attacks are useful, like when piles of troll hide just walk up to you or surtlings deliver coal like DoorDash. I do the small island evil villain Skull Mountain lair thing, but I don't put benches everywhere to turn of all spawns. I just build on top of sheer cliffs I raised out of the ground so spawns can never do more than toss rocks or arrows or whatever at my stone walled castle. When an event does happen I choose whether to reap the bounty it delivers or just keep baking my bread.

Also I found an island with one of the boar runestones on it and I don't want to turn off my no-taming-necessary source of endless boar meat.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im somewhat conflicted on Events. I think they need to do more work on them. Id like to see something of a siege scenerio that can test defensive builds.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

anyone have success building animal pens/breeding towers that are aerial enemy proof during base raids?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zmej posted:

anyone have success building animal pens/breeding towers that are aerial enemy proof during base raids?

Just roof them. I also refuse to build goofy towers where you put a mating pair super high up and let the spawn fall to the ground though.

If you think roofed things look bad just keep a safe breeding pair locked away where you can just replace your bat-eaten outside stock.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Dick move game.

The greenish yellow is Plains. The dark grey is Mistlands.

This is what finally got me to start to play around with mods, because it brought my progression to a dead halt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There are alternate spawn points for the bosses. Most of the seed engine websites will tell you where they are. Can just pop your seed in one and head towards a different spawn if you don't want to do mods.