Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Yeah fair enough to all comments. Tbh for £40 I’ll just see how much of a difference it makes and know for next time. Luckily I remember that ABEC rating is meaningless.

I am also keen to buy some Bones because I could never afford them when I was a kid and now I can it seems kind of magical.

Anyway I’ll take all the help I can get rolling on my terrible stony and cracked surfaces. Already given up on the pavement and just skating in the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also bigger wheels can be a bit better on rough surfaces but I realize that's not that helpful

Anyway one of the nice things about skating is that (depending on the road configuration) it can be very easy to just skate in the street and step up on the sidewalk when a car is coming

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Also I kind of hate the term "assault skating" lol

It is dorky af undoubtedly. But then 'aggressive' inline also always seemed to me to be trying so hard to be 'we're not rec skaaaaters maaaaan this is serious hardcore AGGRESSIVE skating'.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would prefer that he just say "recreational skating is cool" rather than making up a dumb name that makes it sound like he is overcompensating and trying to make skating seem as manly as possible or something lest someone think it's lame and dorky

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Trying to make a sport dominated by queer people sound manly is kind of lame honestly.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Agree. All skating is cool. As long as you’re enjoying it who cares. Kid laughed at me on my skates today but I didn’t care one jot. I’m having me a good time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Agree. All skating is cool. As long as you’re enjoying it who cares. Kid laughed at me on my skates today but I didn’t care one jot. I’m having me a good time.

Getting laughed at is def par for the course lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Speaking of getting laughed at, I took a nasty tumble yesterday off a ramp and just destroyed my palm and wrist and I believe this is finally the fall that is gonna make me order some wrist guards.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've managed to go ice skating twice so far with my new hockey skates and it rules, but then I had to do some work travel, so I'm in Dakar for a couple weeks. I've seen two whole people rollerblading through rush hour traffic, which is cool as hell. I feel bad for them though because the entire city is covered in sand despite efforts from the trash collection workers to clean it up. They must have to rip those bearings apart every day or so.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The sound of sand rattling inside a bearing is like the beating sound of the Telltale Heart. Enough to drive a person mad!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

The sound of sand rattling inside a bearing is like the beating sound of the Telltale Heart. Enough to drive a person mad!
I don't think I've ever had that happen exactly, but one of the reasons I switched to grease was that I kept having situations where my bearings would start sounding like all the lubricant had washed out (making a kind of metal-on-metal sound), like after managing to get a tiny amount of water in them.

(OTOH if you're in a dry/sandy place grease is probably the opposite of what you want though)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm back on rollerblades after about ... 20 years?? Maybe more. Bought some Oxelo MF500s. Been out on two sessions and it's all come back pretty quick. I can t-stop, rotate myself from going forward to backward (when moving slowly), basic stepovers and feel somewhat in control.

Some random questions after a mere 2x30 min sessions.

1. I am skating England's terrible road and pavement surfaces and after a big sprint push I feel like I slow down a lot quicker than I think I should. My skates say ABEC7 on them and wheels are 80mm. Is this a technique or a wheel / bearings issue? If I dropped £50 on some decent bearings would I be doing myself a massive favour? As these are £80 skates I assume the stock bearings are pretty poor.

2. When I'm pushing off one skate my right skate especially sort of slips away from me. I think this is technique and my push is too wide but also all the roads and surfaces are wet at the mo and it seems worse on wetter surfaces so any tips on pushing (don't know if that's the right term) gratefully received.

So glad I got back into it. I think I'm probably too old to be grinding stuff now but I like the idea of Bill Stoppard's 'assault skating' - getting a really good flow going in an urban environment and have that be the focus over tricks.

idk if yours are the same but I've seen Oxelo brand skates that have 1) horrible soft wheels but more importantly 2) plastic frames. So you get a lot less support from them and it'll feel harder to keep balance and get power down.

Where in the UK are you, there are a bunch of street skate groups around.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 20, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk if yours are the same but I've seen Oxelo brand skates that have 1) horrible soft wheels but more importantly 2) plastic frames. So you get a lot less support from them and it'll feel harder to keep balance and get power down.

Where in the UK are you, there are a bunch of street skate groups around.
I don't know about the wheels but with regard to the frames, are you sure you aren't think of their soft boot fitness skates? Their hard boot skates seem pretty legit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I don't know about the wheels but with regard to the frames, are you sure you aren't think of their soft boot fitness skates? Their hard boot skates seem pretty legit.

Yeah maybe, I think I've only ever seen their soft ones.

UK roads *suck* on the whole and this is about the worst time for them because there are leaves and poo poo everywhere. I honestly don't find 4x80 much harder than 3x110 on most surfaces though.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I'm in London and bones reds are the upper end of bearings for most people I've met. I know that at least a handful of the best quad skaters in London follow the strategy of using abec5 bearings and just binning and replacing them whenever necessary. A lot less hassle than having to baby a set of super expensive bearings. Also, these guys/girls are FAST so I think technique and muscle condition etc. play a far bigger role than bearings.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Never thought of reds as the upper end. Always kind of treated them like mid-range products but tbf I get 16 for $32 usd sooooo. I just clean because I like to make them last a long time.

E: QNE

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Banano posted:

I'm in London and bones reds are the upper end of bearings for most people I've met. I know that at least a handful of the best quad skaters in London follow the strategy of using abec5 bearings and just binning and replacing them whenever necessary. A lot less hassle than having to baby a set of super expensive bearings. Also, these guys/girls are FAST so I think technique and muscle condition etc. play a far bigger role than bearings.

Lol we're probably thinking of the one of the same people. I've seen a guy basically outrun everyone on his quads on the road in the dark, I don't know how he does it on such small wheels.

I think he said he'd given up trying to "maintain" bearings and I kind of agree. Cleaning them and putting a bit of oil on sure, but taking them apart etc. Is a fools game because they're never going to be sealed as well after.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think I'm using twincam ilq7 right now because they're the cheapest ones I've found that are guaranteed to not be garbage. Theoretically I would consider getting cheaper ones but I just haven't found any decent source.

I probably posted this before but my current approach to bearing maintenance is:
- Just leave one side permanently open so I don't have to keep inserting/removing the seal and just always have the open side facing inside
- Use grease. It's harder to clean and maybe it's slower but it makes the bearings last so much longer and it also seems like you can get away with cleaning them less often than with oil. Grease also just seems to somehow make up for minor imperfections in the bearings. You don't necessarily have to use a ton of grease, although it's probably more weatherproof the more you use.
- Use an ultrasonic cleaner with citrus degreaser + hot water to clean the bearings. (If there are clumps of grease remove them with a toothbrush first.)
- Then rinse with 99% isopropyl alcohol (can be reused) to displace the water so they don't rust and air dry.

I think theoretically, having one set of bearings (and wheels to make it faster to swap maybe) in better condition with light oil for when the conditions are definitely perfect and one set with grease for other conditions might be the way to go, but I'm too lazy for that.

I can see not wanting to use grease if you're really concerned with speed, but I found that when I tried to use oil my bearings quickly ended up being completely gross and scratchy and at that point they're probably going to be slower than if I just used grease in the first place.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 21, 2023

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

We have a huge cold snap for lunar new year, so despite dry and sunshine finally after all the rain, it is too cold to want to go skating.

:(

Gonna practice balancing at home and stare longingly out the window.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Banano posted:

Uh oh. So spending £200 on bearings won’t compensate for me being old, fat and out of shape??

Yeah I can see how much I need to improve my fitness to be better and faster. I’m knackered after about 20 mins atm. Re the bearings just didn’t want to be shooting myself in the foot. Wheels barely free spin when spun by hand at the moment which def wasn’t the case for my skateboard wheels back in the day so I do think an upgrade will do something even if it won’t be magic.

Btw also in London. Heard of the Friday and Sunday skates. Sounds like the Sunday will be more my speed for the time being.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Uh oh. So spending £200 on bearings won’t compensate for me being old, fat and out of shape??

Yeah I can see how much I need to improve my fitness to be better and faster. I’m knackered after about 20 mins atm. Re the bearings just didn’t want to be shooting myself in the foot. Wheels barely free spin when spun by hand at the moment which def wasn’t the case for my skateboard wheels back in the day so I do think an upgrade will do something even if it won’t be magic.

Btw also in London. Heard of the Friday and Sunday skates. Sounds like the Sunday will be more my speed for the time being.

Last Sunday of the month is a "snail stroll" which is a bit slower as well. As long as you can stop I guarantee you'll be ahead of most first timers on it. Holy poo poo have I seen some accidents/near misses, particularly when there's a hill.

Routes are on one of three different websites for reasons nobody fully understands, the weirdly named "fleggz" mobile app aggregates them together

There's also a Wednesday night one that runs from about April that's a good balance....depending on who's leading it and how carried away they get.

gently caress I haven't actually been out since the London Halloween skate at the end of October!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Re the bearings just didn’t want to be shooting myself in the foot. Wheels barely free spin when spun by hand at the moment which def wasn’t the case for my skateboard wheels back in the day so I do think an upgrade will do something even if it won’t be magic.

My professional opinion is that wheels should spin. You could try cleaning the bearings if you're up for it and you have a degreaser and lube on hand.

Edit: depending on what kind of axles you have (if that's the right word for it) they might be a little off or overly tight, but generally you should be able to tighten them up fully without them pinching the bearings.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 21, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hang em up guys, we've been disrupted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4CHWulnDs

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I will never tire of seeing pro and semi-pro speedwalkers

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 25, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

We just haven't solved the problem of people getting too much exercise yet. Thank God these folks are hard at work.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So it's been a week now of actual skatable weather and these custom skates are godly. The low boot makes jamming super fun and responsive. Get fast spins and turns which I seriously love. Only complaint so far is I can def feel landings on my ankles a lot more. Like an hour doing jumps can get kind of painful but they are so stinking responsive I find myself jamming and speed skating more than vert skating so it has been less of a problem than I kind of expected.

Trying to decide if I get some fatty cruising wheels for my old skates or just sell them on eBay...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I decided to buy some harder, 88A wheels to try out at the park where I skate to see if they roll and slide a bit better on the really choppy pavement. My 84As tend to get really sticky at slow speeds and make me trip, so maybe this will help a bit :shrug:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mauser posted:

I decided to buy some harder, 88A wheels to try out at the park where I skate to see if they roll and slide a bit better on the really choppy pavement. My 84As tend to get really sticky at slow speeds and make me trip, so maybe this will help a bit :shrug:

Typically one would go for a softer wheel on choppy stuff but let us know how it goes. I mean, I cruise parking lots and walking paths on 101A's and it's fine but I do kind of want to invest in some big softies for sidewalks and stuff.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's what I read online, but I want to see if it makes it a little easier to do some breaking techniques where otherwise my wheels just dig in when I want them to slide

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Then you're on the right path. Sliding is p much impossible on soft wheels. You on skates or inlines?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been completely slacking off on actually practicing any technique rather than just skating around for like the last year, so I've been in a position where I'm really close to doing parallel slides when carving but don't quite, but I finally was like "gently caress it I'm going to push this extra hard and actually slide goddammit" and managed to do a legit parallel slide with both skate sliding for a couple seconds going down a hill today, although only one time.

So I think I probably just need to force myself to go harder on my edges and practice it more but I really don't want to fall on my butt :(

Also I'm probably going to need to replace my wheels somewhat soon but 90mm wheels are still expensive everywhere.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 6, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I've been completely slacking off on actually practicing any technique rather than just skating around for like the last year, so I've been in a position where I'm really close to doing parallel slides when carving but don't quite, but I finally was like "gently caress it I'm going to push this extra hard and actually slide goddammit" and managed to do a legit parallel slide with both skate sliding for a couple seconds going down a hill today, although only one time.

So I think I probably just need to force myself to go harder on my edges and practice it more but I really don't want to fall on my butt :(

Also I'm probably going to need to replace my wheels somewhat soon but 90mm wheels are still expensive everywhere.

This is exactly me, except 80mm wheels. I couldn't go to the Sunday group skate because of transport problems so went out and spent about 45 mins trying to learn parallel slides/hockey stops from the video from the shop task guy.

Trip report: drat was I bad at putting weight on the edges and also doing the contra rotate is hard to get my head round. I think I managed it maybe twice and that was low speed on flat, but on a quite grippy surface which didn't help.

That's the first time in months I've actually gone out to practice instead of just banging out 8-10 miles as a group.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What are you listening to on dreary winter skates, goons?

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2023

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Skating is awesome. I recently upgraded from rentals to hockey skates and god drat they kick rear end.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Crash harder you say?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Crash harder you say?

If I was the company that made that helmet I'd be showing that footage on my website.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Buck Turgidson posted:

Skating is awesome. I recently upgraded from rentals to hockey skates and god drat they kick rear end.

What kind of skates?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crash harder you say?
yikes wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Crash harder you say?

:hmmyes:

Note to self, don’t run into walls