Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Carbon brothel

edit: what a way to start a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for February:

support human cool storage

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Also [SERIOUS] question here, how does the government expect anyone with a HECS debt to pay off the loan with the 2023 indexation looking like 7.19%? The increase for me will be about 7k this year which means I'm effectively dead in the water as that is slightly more than I contribute in a year.

Short answer: They do not.

Liberal governments have consistently increased the cost of education to the people being educated as well as making the terms of indexation on the loans more onerous. Labor have failed to undo the changes while in power. So our public education system that supports anyone getting a higher education is slowly being eroded (same as our public healthcare system) into haves (can pay outright) and can (will be paying it off forever) and have nots (off to the fruit picking mines with you lazy proles).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Is 100k the usual HECS loan these days? It implies a $12k per semester costs? That's what used to be charged the international students when I was a young turk but ours was like $2k per sem.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Ranter posted:

Chinese capital is used to set up neo colonial projects in poor countries to steal their resources to create more Chinese capital which is then used to invade Tibet to free the slaves n peasants #freetibet

It's only okay when Western nations set up neo colonial projects in poor countries to steal their resources to create more Western capital which is then used to invade ... several nations to free the tribes n women #bantheburqa?

Fundamentally we probably have more in common with the poor people of other nations then we do with the ruling billionaire class. We should really stop speaking about war with China or licking American boots, and start discussing how we are best to throw off the chains comrades and enact a new revolution for the proletariat. Alternatively, just stop licking American boots because that place is getting as bad as China on the human rights abused right about now, unlike us... who also abuse human rights.

You know what, I'm going to go hug my children and watch cartoons.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol got em

crepeface posted:

dumb oval office

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 17, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I remember Latham was well known as a maniac even by the time he ran as Labor leader, and I suspect he basically only ended up in that position because nobody else wanted the job, or at least could even pretend they were trying to win.

That said I'm pretty sure the brainworms got worse and worse over time, possibly from untreated mental illness and then the inevitable spiral into American right wing indoctrination.

Latham once broke a taxi driver's arm.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for February:

Seeing what Tasmania says in each month's word cloud has been one of life's little highlights these past several years. Appreciate the effort.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Latham once broke a taxi driver's arm.

Did he shake their hand too vigorously?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Animal Friend posted:

Have you considered getting an overpaid job as a business consultant?

I mean this is with this exact job so I would really be feeling for a lot of early career psychs who don't earn as much...

edit:

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Is 100k the usual HECS loan these days? It implies a $12k per semester costs? That's what used to be charged the international students when I was a young turk but ours was like $2k per sem.

There's only so many CSP for psychology which means if you aren't some of the few who get it (or study something other than clinical psych, but even then) the masters costs about 60k, which you need to do to actually be a psychologist. We haven't had any real-world increases for funding to train psychs in forever.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Seeing what Tasmania says in each month's word cloud has been one of life's little highlights these past several years. Appreciate the effort.

:)

I aim to please. Ask I need is for everyone to keep posting words for the word cloud.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss something about paracetamol last month?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konomex posted:

Fundamentally we probably have more in common with the poor people of other nations then we do with the ruling billionaire class.

This is a great point. We tend to identify with billionaires as "our people" because of skin colour, background, cultural upbringing. But the billionaire class are supra-national - they pick and choose from multiple countries of residence and have an extraordinary way to shape the politics around them that they may as well be from another planet. The numbers involved with that kind of wealth are just so inconceivable that we tend to forget just how different from us they are. Even if they do go to the same restaurants some times or wear sneakers just like us.

fake edit: case in point are the Atlassian duo. They have been marketed to us as Aussie techheads made good, but in reality they own hundreds of millions/billions of dollars in real estate, yet at the first whiff of a slowing market take an axe to their employees.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Former federal Liberal staffer Bruce Lehrmann told a friend he had “no idea in the slightest” who Brittany Higgins was referring to when she made a rape allegation against a then-unnamed former colleague, text messages filed in his Federal Court defamation case reveal.

He also texted “need bags”, “you got any gear” and “let’s get lit” to two friends after 10pm on the night Network Ten aired Lisa Wilkinson’s interview with Higgins on The Project.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He also texted “need bags”, “you got any gear” and “let’s get lit” to two friends after 10pm on the night Network Ten aired Lisa Wilkinson’s interview with Higgins on The Project.

To be fair, this could be any Liberal staffer.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Anyone who seriously suggests America is anywhere as bad as China in regards to human rights abuses is off the deep end.

Typical lovely whataboutism to justify supporting anything non western.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Anyone who seriously suggests America is anywhere as bad as China in regards to human rights abuses is off the deep end.

Bro. Please.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The last decisive victory was what, WWII? I don't think you could call skirmishes in Somalia, Balkans, Grenada etc "wars" as such.
Gulf War. Most recent non-US one was the Azeri-Armenia war and if Russia didn't intervene Armenia would have had it much worse.

hooman posted:

Is there any amount of military procurement that will result in Australia winning a war with China?
Australia and China aren't the only countries in the world and if there is a war between the two you can be sure as poo poo others will be involved.

hooman posted:

I guess this is fundamentally a philosophical question rather than a policy one. Either we throw billions at weapons at the beck and call of the US to aid their posturing against China, or we say "lol" and keep good trade and relations with China and act as an economic partner (note partner) in South East Asia.
What if Chinese expansionist policy pisses off everyone to the point that the US steps in and takes military action? It's not exactly unknown that China has strained relations with all of its neighbours and you hoping things won't deteriorate further is absurd. Also good trade relations is pretty laughable "there should be an investigation into the origins of COVID" *softs ban coal from Australia while cities have rolling blackouts*.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

+1 Jesus Christ, $100K. I'd sure as poo poo want a career lined up after that amount of HECS.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

America has legalised slavery.
America consistently shoots it's own citizens.
America has the death penalty.
America has child marriage (some states with no lower age limit).

I'm not sure how you compare human rights abuses, which is objectively worse. But considering American's steady slide towards full blown fascism in the past few years, it's a thing to consider that America might not be 'as bad' as China now, but soon will be possibly shovelling LGBTQI people into concentration camps under some Christofascist statehood.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
early voted in the nsw election, was real tempted to write get hosed lyle next to lyle sheltons name

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Konomex posted:

America has child marriage (some states with no lower age limit).
This is true but I doubt a judge would allow 2 ten year olds to get married. It could happen in a conservative state like *checks list* California.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Very rich to compare the country that executed 18 people in 2022 to the world leader in executions, who killed an unknown number, but reputably speculated to be in the thousands by organizations like Amnesty International and claim they are the same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And don't forget the totally-can't-call-them-concentration-camps for... asylum seekers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pretty sure the only HECS band that high (12k or more) is law now. Everything else is cheaper including medicine.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And don't forget the totally-can't-call-them-concentration-camps for... asylum seekers.
I think you'll find they are luxury holiday camps. I mean just look at the bill!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Pretty sure the only HECS band that high (12k or more) is law now. Everything else is cheaper including medicine.

first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

birdstrike posted:

The cost of the degree is a disincentive because we don't need more of them. Killing them would lower the cost and create more lawyers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

birdstrike posted:

simpsons.gif

starkebn fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 18, 2023

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

The cost of the degree is a disincentive because we don't need more of them. Killing them would lower the cost and create more lawyers.

Is not this a lamentable thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should be made parchment?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

For full fee psychology it’s about 14k per semester.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Probably time to train up in submarine related work and get something better than a tent then.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i dont know how much more skilled for sub work I can already get given the amount of gay sex i've had. I can also sleep like a log on a hammock. Please hire me department of defense

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pleasant Friend posted:

Two things can both be incredibly lovely, hth.

America's genocides being atrocities in no way makes China's genocides any less.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i dont know how much more skilled for sub work I can already get given the amount of gay sex i've had. I can also sleep like a log on a hammock. Please hire me department of defense

I’d like to see that recruitment ad for the navy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vic pol protecting literal nazis and terfs

https://twitter.com/amy_sargeant_/status/1636917838467444736?s=20

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's their job to prevent groups of people beating the living poo poo out of each other on the steps of the parliament actually.

The police union is already calling for the Nazi salute to be banned so they can remove people doing it.

E: it's interesting that the only information I've seen about this "terf rally" is pictures of the Nazis, pictures of cookers and pictures of police. Were there even any terfs there lol.

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 18, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

It got way worse than this. At one point a terf was on the mic rambling about protecting children from pedo men in dresses and then their speech veered into paraphrasing the 14 words. "We must secure the future for our children" etc

When sewell and the other open Nazis started their little march around past us and try to get in our faces,, a cop initially went to block Sewell but then apparently notice who it was and let him get closer, like he recognized him.

One of the Nazis Nathan Bull is the son of a cop, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

JBP posted:

It's their job to prevent groups of people beating the living poo poo out of each other on the steps of the parliament actually.

The police union is already calling for the Nazi salute to be banned so they can remove people doing it.

E: it's interesting that the only information I've seen about this "terf rally" is pictures of the Nazis, pictures of cookers and pictures of police. Were there even any terfs there lol.

There are multiple signs in those photos that are very obviously Terf poo poo.