Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s hard to defend taking kids out of a warzone, refusing to return them to their birth families or allow coordination to do so, then adopting them out to people in the invading country.

It’s a poo poo practice, and it’s one completely unnecessary to Russia’s war aims. Even if Russia wins and forces capitulation, there is no good reason to refuse to return children to their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

He's eating their adrenochromes

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Endman posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you explain a little further? I'd like to keep reading the book but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for another trojan horse containing only "communism bad" takes.

Been a bit since I read it and I don't have access to my copy atm, but his argument is that the siege and its aftermath was a foreshadowing of the "bloodlands" that happened in Eastern Europe after the war. He spends time talking about attitudes towards different ethnic groups and violence perpetrated by both Russia and the A-H Empire.

Edit: check pages 3-4 in the introduction.

Minenfeld! has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Mar 18, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

It’s hard to defend taking kids out of a warzone, refusing to return them to their birth families or allow coordination to do so, then adopting them out to people in the invading country.

It’s a poo poo practice, and it’s one completely unnecessary to Russia’s war aims. Even if Russia wins and forces capitulation, there is no good reason to refuse to return children to their families.

Taking kids out of warzone imo isn't the problem, it's what you do with them afterwards that becomes an issue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Taking kids out of warzone imo isn't the problem, it's what you do with them afterwards that becomes an issue.

Sure, yeah. There are established ways to deal with this, and post-evacuation refusal to return children to their families isn’t it. Especially when committing to a permanent adoption vs “Having problems finding your parents, please wait”

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Minenfeld! posted:

Been a bit since I read it amd I don't have access to my copy atm, but his argument is that the siege and its aftermath was a foreshadowing of the "bloodlands" that happened in Eastern Europe after the war. He spends time talking about attitudes towards different ethnic groups and violence perpetrated by both Russia and the A-H Empire.

Fair enough. I'll keep reading.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russian cops are weirdly passive aggressive and make people draw graffiti and sing songs?

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1636838263720640515

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Lostconfused posted:

Russian cops are weirdly passive aggressive and make people draw graffiti and sing songs?

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1636838263720640515

it’s like a Monty python skit

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

R. Mute posted:

fun little tidbits about this vote:

several parties requested the input of experts before the vote was cast. four experts were consulted on the question of if it was a genocide. three clearly said it wasn't, one said it was impossible to know but it wouldn't be a good idea to recognise it as such. these experts were then promptly ignored and the vote passed with ease.

this resolution was also proposed back in 2011 - specifically by the fascist party. back then, all other parties voted it down without much debate.

and of course, the real goal of this resolution was to crush internal dissent - it's one of the many symbolic motions that has been voted on that has the specific purpose of ratfucking the PTB, the belgian communist party that's been rising in the polls since 2015. like how earlier they filed a resolution to condemn the war (fair) but added a few clauses explicitly praising NATO knowing that the PTB would never vote for it.

it's absolutely pathetic.

Rewriting all history books to just read "do a communism and DIE" in big crayon letters - the only lesson we need to impart, really

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Please, it's East Turkestan 🐺

Hope Erdoğan sees this, king (Charles XVI)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

Been a bit since I read it and I don't have access to my copy atm, but his argument is that the siege and its aftermath was a foreshadowing of the "bloodlands" that happened in Eastern Europe after the war. He spends time talking about attitudes towards different ethnic groups and violence perpetrated by both Russia and the A-H Empire.

Edit: check pages 3-4 in the introduction.

I mean, that's what I've been saying about Ukraine. These aren't mythical bloodlines, the border between east and west, Catholic and Orthodox, white and asiatic or any of that stuff. Nor is it where Equally Bad Naziism and Communism abutted. It's literally the border of the Russian Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empire created by the partitions of Poland.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Poland really is just the place you go to gently caress poo poo up over and over again throughout the history of Eastern Europe

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
there's a reason they want to push the button

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/JanR210/status/1635266972110970884

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Interesting, can't tell if its just the translation but are they saying these are for new Russian formations because they previously said these were for the Republic militias. If these are for general Russian units does that mean they can't use their T-72 reserves for some reason? Most sources state they've got 6000+ T-72's mothballed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Who the hell knows, but officially militias should already be part of the regular russian army.

Also he gives no specific details, it's just russian people, our boys, for the front.

Trying to figure out something from a single factory and applying it to the industry and economy of the country is just reading tea leaves.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
T-62M is a modernized T-72 I think?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Interesting, can't tell if its just the translation but are they saying these are for new Russian formations because they previously said these were for the Republic militias. If these are for general Russian units does that mean they can't use their T-72 reserves for some reason? Most sources state they've got 6000+ T-72's mothballed.

maybe some factories do t62 and other factory do t72

anyways who knows what condition all the tanks are in. maybe a lot were stored well and maybe not, leave a car outside for 30 years and its gonna take some work to get it going again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tanks alot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

why dont they just figure out the best tank and build lots of those

Endman
May 18, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

T-62M is a modernized T-72 I think?

T-62M is the later version of the T-62 built during the Cold War. Russia has had a tonne of them in storage for decades. The advantage of modernising the T-62M is that it has a gun capable of firing a lot of modern shell types, so it's not as far from being an effective modern tank as a T-54/55 would be.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wait a second youre telling me the tanks get better as the numbers go DOWN????

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

no

sometimes

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the t-62 was pretty bad in wargame, only saving grace was that the t-62mv came with motorized decks and had a pretty good glatgm with it

now with warno, the t-62m is a ok tank but still outshone by t-72s which got a autoloader

i would never take t-62s, points and deck space are almost certainly better spent on t-80bvs and if you need less expensive fire support grab some infantry in bmp2s

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
germany's symbolic number of 1488 symbolic leopards are not going to be slowed down by hundreds (and hundreds, and hundreds) of very real russian tanks

Endman
May 18, 2010

The T-72 is absolutely a better, more modern tank than the T-62M, but Russia doesn't have hundreds/thousands of those in storage.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

germany's symbolic number of 1488 symbolic leopards are not going to be slowed down by hundreds (and hundreds, and hundreds) of very real russian tanks

one challenger can kill 10 russian tanks

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CODChimera posted:

one challenger can kill 10 russian tanks

quote:

How many Challenger 2 tanks are being sent to Ukraine?

Ambassador Prystaiko had previously stated that the UK intended to double the number of tanks being gifted to Ukraine, from 14 to 28 but that has now been denied by the Ministry of Defence.Mar 5, 2023
*doesn't bother to even attempt the math*
14 should be plenty then

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
obviously the ministry of defence can't double the number of tanks

because of the implications

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

The T-72 is absolutely a better, more modern tank than the T-62M, but Russia doesn't have hundreds/thousands of those in storage.

As of 2017 they had 7000+ T-72's in reserve so... Yeah they do (did?)

And that means ones not modernised to B3 standard so its not the ones that have got blown up. They should still have those 7000...

The gently caress is going on?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

the t-62 was pretty bad in wargame, only saving grace was that the t-62mv came with motorized decks and had a pretty good glatgm with it

now with warno, the t-62m is a ok tank but still outshone by t-72s which got a autoloader

i would never take t-62s, points and deck space are almost certainly better spent on t-80bvs and if you need less expensive fire support grab some infantry in bmp2s

There was that North Korean T-62 that was like 15 points that was a good addition to a deck but otherwise meh.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/GhostovichSSOT/status/1636762523545350144

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

And that means ones not modernised to B3 standard so its not the ones that have got blown up. They should still have those 7000...

it all exists to be used and used up. now is the time and from what FF has posted, Russia is big into keeping the obsolete vehicles around and giving them second, third, and fourth lives with modernization programs until the hulls are total losses.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just build 999 t-1s and 1 t-999

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Uralvagnzvod's building new T-90s/72s/BMPTs last time I checked.

Most of the Soviet tank repair factories got torn down and sold off because of a certain Yeltsin and co. The T-62s is probably because of the relative ease of reopening and storage conditions.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

My understanding is that the Rhodesian conflict is where a lot of the "operator" cultural stuff first started to manifest. so you have green berets collecting ears in Vietnam and getting a reputation and a john wayne movie and everything. and then in the early 80s you have this idea of the Bush war, guys who don't wear the normal uniform and are doing "nontraditional" fighting, Soldier of Fortune magazine advertising that as a fantasy fulfillment experience. It seems like a pretty straight line from that to the current culture where you can buy tactical tier-1 operator coffee and kids aspire to be in Seal Team 6 like its an NFL team. I'd be really interested to check out any books or writing about how that special operator narrative was cultivated or really just anything about the rise of special forces fetishization into mainstream culture.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
T-62 might just be a better fit for what the militias are doing. Just off the top of my head, it has a 4 man crew with a loader versus 3 man and an autoloader on the T-72 and beyond which probably simplifies the maintenance by a good margin, and once upgraded with ERA and modern optics its probably not meaningfully less vulnerable than an early T-72.

Chinese media is full of reports that Pakistan is transferring some of their T-80UDs to Ukraine, under western pressure. These are probably more useful than Leopards or whatever since they were originally built in Kharkov so the Ukrainians still know how to operate and maintain them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1636747690188107776

nafo infowar fanfiction is one hell of an alternate reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

That’s right. US unfairly squatting on the M1 and China got screwed in the draft with the Type 99.