Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My enjoyment of GOT skyrocketed after the series finale. Before it was a show with some really good elements and some really poo poo elements, but I've never seen such sheer contempt for an audience and its source material as D&D on S8. It's not even train wreck excitement, it's watching two men roll a Katamari ball of all the terrible poo poo they can grab in 6 hours and my god, they get everything.

I can't possibly describe what a masterfully executed gently caress-up it is. You have to watch the whole show to earn that payoff. Oh my god, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

I mean this sincerely, but have you seen Soviet-era animation before? The aesthetic is spot-on here. Worker and Parasite were real, my friend.

Me too! :3: I also like the large rug hanging on the wall.

I never watched the show because what few episodes I did see were trash, but I think general consensus on The Walking Dead was that it got so dull and formulaic that people stopped watching altogether, and then they still produced like two or three more seasons of it before ending it with a wet fart no one really gave a poo poo about.

Again, I never watched the show, but that was my Internet armchair goony takeaway from it.

I watched the first 3 seasons and even by the end of that, it was getting kind of repetitive. Then it went on like another 8 seasons and by the end none of the original cast were still around except DARRYL and apparently the guy who executed and smashed the most likeable character's head in in front of everyone had somehow now become everyone's best friend???????

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Das Boo posted:

My enjoyment of GOT skyrocketed after the series finale. Before it was a show with some really good elements and some really poo poo elements, but I've never seen such sheer contempt for an audience and its source material as D&D on S8. It's not even train wreck excitement, it's watching two men roll a Katamari ball of all the terrible poo poo they can grab in 6 hours and my god, they get everything.

I can't possibly describe what a masterfully executed gently caress-up it is. You have to watch the whole show to earn that payoff. Oh my god, I love it.

It's so good. Every time Euron was on screen I was howling.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Das Boo posted:

GoT is one of those cases like the Super Mario Bros Move, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and the Last Airbender, where the problems stem not from incompetence but rather an intentional, active desire to do some wacky, baffling and nonsensical poo poo. i would love to see some behind the scenes expose on the decisions that the showrunners made, why they made them, and how everyone else reacted to said decisions. i'm sure poo poo would be just fascinating :allears:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 17, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Well there is that behind the scenes thing were the Varys actor looks completely disgusted at the table read and I think he threatens to quit at one point.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And poor Emilia Clarke mugging at Kit Harington as she sinks down, down, down in her chair.
God bless the cast. I'm glad the fans didn't blame them for that shitshow because they were more the victims than any of us.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah i've also seen stuff like tyrion's actor making fun of his character hiding in the cemetery to escape the whyte walkers, but these were just snippets. i want an entire goddamned DOCUMENTARY :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You know what? A fair want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

GoT is one of those cases like the Super Mario Bros Move, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and the Last Airbender, where the problems stem not from incompetence but rather an intentional, active desire to do some wacky, baffling and nonsensical poo poo. i would love to see some behind the scenes expose on the decisions that the showrunners made, why they made them, and how everyone else reacted to said decisions. i'm sure poo poo would be just fascinating :allears:

It did explain a lot that the directors were Hollywood failsons who had never directed anything before, and apparently once they ran out of material to adapt had literally no concept of like, entertainment.

I'd love to see some postmortems on those. I know a lot about the original SMB movie and how the directors (the creators of Max Headroom) wanted cyberpunk with dinosaurs while Nintendo wanted a Super Mario Bros movie. Apparently no one involved has anything good to say about the directors.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

bone emulator posted:

Well there is that behind the scenes thing were the Varys actor looks completely disgusted at the table read and I think he threatens to quit at one point.

There’s another one with Emilia Clarke going “Best Season Ever!” like she’s in a hostage situation

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NYg41IefI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm a fan of Kit Harington being asked to describe the season in one word and, after a long pause, responding "Disappointing."

Also this.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was thinking about how great Married With Children was, and it is kinda surprising that it hasn't been rebooted/continued for streaming, considering how popular it was. But then I wondered if you could even do that show these days or how much you'd have to change, and then would it even be the same show? Interested to hear what people think.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Why is Last Airbender on this list? There's no way its shittiness was the result of anything but the utmost ineptitude. (I'm of course referring to the live action film and not the excellent animated series.)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

I was thinking about how great Married With Children was, and it is kinda surprising that it hasn't been rebooted/continued for streaming, considering how popular it was. But then I wondered if you could even do that show these days or how much you'd have to change, and then would it even be the same show? Interested to hear what people think.

The thing about MwC that I gathered from behind the scenes specials and decisions made on the show (Seven, the multiple stealth pilots for spinoffs) is that the producers on it were idiots who were successful in spite of their decisions.

A modern remake would have to really thread the needle to make it not be some lame culture war thing. It would be way too easy to make Al some kind of chud or to make Marcy an annoying parody of woke feminists or whatever. Or to go too far the other way in playing it safe and sanding off the edge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mantis42 posted:

The thing about MwC that I gathered from behind the scenes specials and decisions made on the show (Seven, the multiple stealth pilots for spinoffs) is that the producers on it were idiots who were successful in spite of their decisions.

A modern remake would have to really thread the needle to make it not be some lame culture war thing. It would be way too easy to make Al some kind of chud or to make Marcy an annoying parody of woke feminists or whatever. Or to go too far the other way in playing it safe and sanding off the edge.

I doubt they can do it without it being like this. I hope that rumored animated revival doesn’t happen.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah i've also seen stuff like tyrion's actor making fun of his character hiding in the cemetery to escape the whyte walkers, but these were just snippets. i want an entire goddamned DOCUMENTARY :colbert:

There was a behind-the-scenes book called Fire Cannot Kill A Dragon published, although I think there were a lot of fans that wanted it to be more hard-hitting and gossipy.

https://tvline.com/2020/10/06/game-of-thrones-new-book-secrets-emilia-clarke-kit-harington/

A lot of the actors seem pretty tight-lipped about their real feelings on things, and rightfully so, because badmouthing your bosses is a good way to not get hired for other things. I doubt we'll hear many bombshells for a good long time. Seems like everyone wants to remain professional about things, even though it's clear Martin and HBO really wanted to keep the show going

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the mario bros '93 movie is good actually

it'll definitely be better than the hyper focus tested rear end chris pratt mario movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BoosterDuck posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BoosterDuck posted:

it'll definitely be better than the hyper focus tested rear end chris pratt mario movie

I didn’t like it as a kid but now I appreciate how weird it is. It’s better than the 95 Mortal Kombat movie imo.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I saw the Mario movie for the first time a few years back and was pleasantly surprised. It's not amazing but there was quite a lot of love and effort in the production that somehow shines through any schlock. It was especially refreshing to not be bombarded with CGI.

Another notable show that went from good to crap was Dexter, though in a lot of ways I've come to appreciate the terrible latter seasons for the fun journey of hate watching and the great conversations that were had making GBS threads on the entire thing.

In hindsight if the show had merely become OK to decent, it probably would've simply died a quiet death and we'd have lost out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I dipped as soon as there was a season finale that introduced a baby/pregnancy, was that the right spot?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sentient Data posted:

I dipped as soon as there was a season finale that introduced a baby/pregnancy, was that the right spot?

It looks like that was season 3, which means you dipped out one too early. You gotta at least watch the John Lithgow season 4. It doesn't go immediately to poo poo in 5 but if the show was just the first 4 seasons it would probably be remembered pretty fondly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t like it as a kid but now I appreciate how weird it is. It’s better than the 95 Mortal Kombat movie imo.

What the actual gently caress

Sentient Data posted:

Season 4 was legit amazing and I'll never forget "shut up, oval office" as long as I live

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Huh, didn't know the show was british

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alan_Shore posted:

What the actual gently caress

MK95 boring as hell. Watch it again.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Happy Landfill posted:

There was a behind-the-scenes book called Fire Cannot Kill A Dragon published, although I think there were a lot of fans that wanted it to be more hard-hitting and gossipy.

https://tvline.com/2020/10/06/game-of-thrones-new-book-secrets-emilia-clarke-kit-harington/

A lot of the actors seem pretty tight-lipped about their real feelings on things, and rightfully so, because badmouthing your bosses is a good way to not get hired for other things. I doubt we'll hear many bombshells for a good long time. Seems like everyone wants to remain professional about things, even though it's clear Martin and HBO really wanted to keep the show going

It's like the interviews Jon Boyega and Oscar Isaac had to do during the PR blitz for Rise of Skywalker, where they made it clear they were so thrilled about the movie and so thrilled with how their characters turned out. And how they'd never do it again.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

MK 95 had the classic Raul Julia line "for me it was Tuesday"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

MK 95 had the classic Raul Julia line "for me it was Tuesday"

That was Street Fighter gosh darnit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have, many times. It's exactly what you want from a MK movie with an absolutely killer soundtrack and fantastic fight scenes. Very faithful to the games. Much better than the disappointing recent reboot. In contrast the Mario movie is weird embarrassing poo poo that you'd go to watch at the cinema to laugh at while high

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

drat straight. While a pretty bad movie Raul Julia was brilliant in it, and that line in particular is a classic.

Alan_Shore posted:

I have, many times. It's exactly what you want from a MK movie with an absolutely killer soundtrack and fantastic fight scenes. Very faithful to the games. Much better than the disappointing recent reboot.

The movie new exactly what sort of fun trash it was and nailed it. Honestly I'm not entirely sure what other tone would really work with a mortal kombat. Maybe with a touch more blood. But the game it self is based off a lot of b-grade movie trash -and Bruce Lee films- so like it fits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The key is that Mortal Kombat is indeed literally just a cheesy martial arts movie, and back in the 90s they still knew how to make those.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Howard Beale posted:

It's like the interviews Jon Boyega and Oscar Isaac had to do during the PR blitz for Rise of Skywalker, where they made it clear they were so thrilled about the movie and so thrilled with how their characters turned out. And how they'd never do it again.

That was so hard to watch :smith: you could Boyega was so disappointed with what they did with Finn

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I said it in the Online Creators thread, but Rise of Skywalker was basically an act of cowardice by committee.

Al Jean is just a lovely boomer fuckhead who wouldn’t know quality comedy if it punched him in the dick.

JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy et al made sure to bend over backwards to accommodate the whims of a bunch of screeching white supremacist gammons because they whined about a woman of colour daring to exist onscreen for about 11 minutes in a 150+ minute film.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
just mad the sequel trilogy never lived up to hype from the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtapgIxllc8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently most execs while also being basically space aliens are also extremely online and genuinely concerned about what people are whining about on Twitter, which explains a lot about Stars Wars sequels and also WB/DC blowing up their own movie series and ejecting the director that made them billions of dollars because of some weirdos whining on twitter.

Everything about the Flash movie sounds like it's going to be superhero Rise of Skywalker, but also indelibly focusing on a crazy sex offender.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Alan_Shore posted:

I have, many times. It's exactly what you want from a MK movie with an absolutely killer soundtrack and fantastic fight scenes. Very faithful to the games. Much better than the disappointing recent reboot. In contrast the Mario movie is weird embarrassing poo poo that you'd go to watch at the cinema to laugh at while high

And that's exactly why MK is boring and SMB is interesting.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Street Fighter is a terrible Street Fighter movie, but a great GI Joe movie, and worth watching for Raul Julia alone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My take as someone who didn't watch either of them until sometime in the last few years:

MK: I can see how kids who loved the games were probably enthralled by it back in the day, but it is clearly specifically for them and that place and time. A "you had to be there" kind of thing. It's just boring and forgettable shlock now.

Mario Bros: It's weird and also bad, but at least in a really interesting way.

Both were "one and done"'s for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Keromaru5 posted:

Street Fighter is a terrible Street Fighter movie, but a great GI Joe movie, and worth watching for Raul Julia alone.

I don't know that much about Street Fighter's general tone and stories but it feels like going all GI Joe with it isn't entirely unfitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ror posted:

It looks like that was season 3, which means you dipped out one too early. You gotta at least watch the John Lithgow season 4. It doesn't go immediately to poo poo in 5 but if the show was just the first 4 seasons it would probably be remembered pretty fondly.

Dexter having an unexpectedly brilliant season interrupting an otherwise relatively steady decline into utter dross kept me watching far longer than I should have, like an idiot at a slot machine waiting for that next big payout.