Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

What is this?

https://mangadex.org/title/60e6eb5e-6798-4614-928f-064e65aabe16/jishou-akuyaku-reijou-na-konyakusha-no-kansatsu-kiroku
Otome Isekai told from the perspective of the Crown Prince as he observes and aids his incredibly ditzy but well meaning "villainess" fiance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

That one is “better” because it’s 100% upfront about the author’s fetish and you know to avoid it.

What sucks is when it’s an otherwise decent series and then we get sudden slavery due to lazy writing.

in tondemo skill the mc becomes invulnerable due to a divine blessing. it's not conditional, and there are no weaknesses. literally nothing in the world can harm him. this is on top of his loyal, functionally invincible protector that never leaves his side. so naturally, he is so afraid of merchants finding out about his unique skill that he buys slaves as a workforce to maintain secrecy. there's not some super merchant that could harm him, or anything. he's just a pathetic coward, which is mostly played for laughs. also, he doesn't really need a workforce since he already earns far more money than he could ever use from selling inedible monster parts. so his plan to repackage groceries from earth at a markup is a complete waste of time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirtar posted:

Is that part of the extended Japanese title (or dumb furigana) or something that got added tot he title by scanlators? I haven't actually watched/read the series so it's possible/likely they threw it in because it's accurate, but it doesn't look like it's officially part of the title.

I assumed we were talking about "Isekai Meikyuu de Harem o" which is properly translated as "A Harem in the Fantasy World Dungeon", but it might as well have put slave in the title since that's pretty much the first thing he does once he gets to town.

doomrider7 posted:

I'm assuming you guys mean Magilure because Witch Hat Atelier is absolutely amazing.

No, I meant Witch Hat Atelier. It's very pretty, but I found the story to be pretty exhausting by the time we got to the teacher's backstory.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nemo2342 posted:

I assumed we were talking about "Isekai Meikyuu de Harem o" which is properly translated as "A Harem in the Fantasy World Dungeon", but it might as well have put slave in the title since that's pretty much the first thing he does once he gets to town.

Pretty sure that's exactly what it is since it's the only search result. I'm mostly curious where in the general pipeline that it got added to the title. Obviously CR went with a more literal translation because even they're not dumb enough to add that when they don't have to (and are trying to make money off it).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

No, I meant Witch Hat Atelier. It's very pretty, but I found the story to be pretty exhausting by the time we got to the teacher's backstory.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

gwrtheyrn posted:

What's a couple of war crimes between friends anyways?

The best war crimes are FUNA protags. Will always laugh that the scanlators for the potion one put the MC on a wanted poster with geneva convention citations as the credit page

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fellis posted:

The best war crimes are FUNA protags. Will always laugh that the scanlators for the potion one put the MC on a wanted poster with geneva convention citations as the credit page

Honestly the best part of that manga. Oh right we're also getting an anime adaptation of that one aren't we?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Brought To You By posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/60e6eb5e-6798-4614-928f-064e65aabe16/jishou-akuyaku-reijou-na-konyakusha-no-kansatsu-kiroku
Otome Isekai told from the perspective of the Crown Prince as he observes and aids his incredibly ditzy but well meaning "villainess" fiance.

Kinda feel bad for the heroine who is also reincarnated and thinks things are going like they are in the game.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Kinda feel bad for the heroine who is also reincarnated and thinks things are going like they are in the game.
I don't feel too bad for her for all the reasons Cecil dresses her down for. She had years to learn and adapt, to properly gain the qualifications to be a queen, to work towards earning any of her romantic interests, etc. But she didn't treat everyone around her like humans and instead like characters in a game when clearly that was not the case in this particular story. And her spirit animal further created a toxic environment around her by just drugging any and everyone that got close to her.

I was mildly annoyed at worst that Bertia kept pushing she had to be some terrible person undeserving of a happy ending because of her own adherence to this original plot. But the Heroine was far worse in this regard, but the story doesn't just dunk on her and instead gives her a chance at redemption and growth. I do hope we get something of a progress report for her in the sequel because I don't hate her but she deserved everything that happened to her in the first series.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fellis posted:

This is in chapter 18 for those who haven't seen it and want a laugh

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Yinlock posted:

iirc that dragon teacher story i forgot the name of has a fun bit of fantasy science where the protagonist is baffled as to why the waterwheel he made isn't turning at all in a river. someone else is like "well obviously the water spirits wouldn't like turning it" and he's like "wait that's actually a thing???"
this sounds cool, gotta link?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I mean, I just wanted cool magic, not "deep trauma" and mage wars over letting non-hereditary mages learn magic.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

this sounds cool, gotta link?

unfortunately it's one of those i can't find anymore. was about a reincarnated dragon introducing the concept of education into a world, but had to deal with his students having way shorter lifespans than him and magic physics being stupid. dunno if it was actually good or not but that moment stood out to me

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ice Phisherman posted:

If I ever get isekai'd, send me with my spice rack. Humans spent countless amounts of blood and treasure getting nutmeg halfway across the Earth and they'd probably do anything for new, good flavors because humans are still humans.

This is what the guy who gets isekai'd but he's got access to FreshDirect does for money -- he just orders a five pound bag of salt and a two pound bag of peppercorns, sells those, and then cools it because he's worried if he gets noticed he'll get enslaved. Dropped out of that one when I found out he starts buying slaves, though.

The related one, 80,000 gold or whatever (what I've been calling the Arbitrage Isekai), she vacillates between not doing that (i.e. trying to maintain some kind of tech hygiene) and just giving zero shits about it (oh yeah, I've got fresh fish. And DVDs. And GUNS. AND I'M GOING TO SUMMON A PMC (though that's after she gets hit with an arrow and in-dialogue says "Well, I've been trying to not destabilize this entire civilization, but they shot me so gently caress that.")

Kind of wish there was one that was actually aware of the opportunities for fast moneymaking like the first and at all wholesome like the second.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Test Pattern posted:

Kind of wish there was one that was actually aware of the opportunities for fast moneymaking like the first and at all wholesome like the second.

There's I Can Always Go Home, so I Started as a Peddler in Another World.

quote:

"Won't I be able to get filthy rich if I use this skill?"

Continually exploited at work, Amata Shirou quits his job and moves to his grandma's house. When he finds out that it's connected to another world, he comes up with a plan to set up a business selling Japanese goods.

The story of a man getting rich using his skill that converts the currency of the other world to Japanese yen and so forth.

That description makes it sound like he's going to go Full Capitalism, but it's actually pretty wholesome. Like the arc that just concluded was about a fairy on her own, looking for an adventurer she came across some time ago. The MC helps her out, willingly and without reservation. An earlier arc involves sickness (it's the usual lack of nutrients writers like to use in these), and the MC brings over medicine to help with his "compensation" being the continued smiles of a certain person. (In the webnovel he actually helps a whole bunch of people with the problem for a pittance from the mayor and no thought of exploiting the sick, but in the manga it's just one person.) It's been a nice read, even if it's not anything super unique.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 15, 2023

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
80k gold is the one nicknamed "warcrimes isekai" because she also introduces concepts like landmines and contaminating water supplies before retreat, right?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elfface posted:

80k gold is the one nicknamed "warcrimes isekai" because she also introduces concepts like landmines and contaminating water supplies before retreat, right?

Not in anything that's been translated. Potion one she does the well poisoning (hence the wanted poster by scanlators), but I don't remember if she used landmines.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
80k gold just has her hiring earth mercs to come in and absolutely massacre a fantasy world army and some dragons. I don't think she did anything else particularly egregious beyond that.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Meanwhile Youjo Senki: War crimes were technically not committed because everyone loves their loopholes.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Potion also booby trapped corpses in addition to the well poisoning I believe, hence the wanted poster

Edit: apparently not? Hard to remember all of these war crimes

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 15, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

A wrinkle I like for these kinds of stories is that the entire concept of the game is real, not just the part of it that became a commercial product. Vital information to understanding the current plot could just be languishing in the liner notes of some never-sold tie-in artbook somewhere! Even if in this case it doesn't work out so well for certain people. They pull this out a couple big places.

One early, where the game's apparent mascot character is actually a spirit because spirits and magic are totally real but fairly rare and some state-secret level stuff. Miss Bertia finds one by complete accident exploring the less-trafficked parts of her family estate and mascots around with a fox friend for a while before the prince tells her it's a spirit of darkness. "YESSSSSS DARKNESSSSSSS" "actually darkness magic is mostly about solace and protection" "THIS ELEMENTAL SYSTEM IS BULLSHIT"

And one, much much later, where Bertia talks about why she was trying to be evil and let the heroine win because of the various game endings and how the prince was never really happy in any of them and just got obsessed about something like warfighting or inventing gunpowder that often led to his early demise. The prince then talks to his dad who's like "yeah, hyperfocus runs in the family, we had no idea what to do when you started speaking four languages when you were three other than take the mythopoeically suggested approach: hitch you to the biggest ball of emotions we could find and hope you got interested in humanity".

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lol I just read one a few days ago where part of the brilliant tactical strategy was to dress your soldiers as fleeing refugees and use them to infiltrate a stronghold. seems tame in comparison to magical white phorophorous or what's happening in these other ones

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Test Pattern posted:

This is what the guy who gets isekai'd but he's got access to FreshDirect does for money -- he just orders a five pound bag of salt and a two pound bag of peppercorns, sells those, and then cools it because he's worried if he gets noticed he'll get enslaved. Dropped out of that one when I found out he starts buying slaves, though.

The related one, 80,000 gold or whatever (what I've been calling the Arbitrage Isekai), she vacillates between not doing that (i.e. trying to maintain some kind of tech hygiene) and just giving zero shits about it (oh yeah, I've got fresh fish. And DVDs. And GUNS. AND I'M GOING TO SUMMON A PMC (though that's after she gets hit with an arrow and in-dialogue says "Well, I've been trying to not destabilize this entire civilization, but they shot me so gently caress that.")

yea, I dropped it after that when I just wanted a standard economy isekai, and she just backpedals totally on trying to not interfere too much on the world. Could have skipped all that and found another excuse to get to the town building phase.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm with him. The manga really sucks all the wonder and mirth out of the setting and I find reading it to be kind of a slog.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got tired of the teacher's endless betrayals.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm watching the 80k in another world and this girl lies for like no reason and it's starting to get on my nerves.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
That's why I like that one. The MC is so bad at using her powers and messes up so many small details. She just digs deeper and deeper holes she has to get out of.

When it turns a little GATE-ish I lost interest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're talking about hiring the mercenaries, they go back to Earth basically immediately and only play a minor role going forward, at least up to the point where the fan translation of the manga's up to. (I was reading the LN, but put it down during one of my usual cycles of interest and haven't picked it back up yet.) They were only brought over one time, outside of minor mentions after that that they play a major role in one other arc, and it's 100% focused on the Earth.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
that's when I dropped it.

I just felt she flip flopped on her personal set rules too easily, and felt the story could have progressed without having to go there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm watching the 80k in another world and this girl lies for like no reason and it's starting to get on my nerves.

She's either quite ruthless or a little bit of a sociopath. Some people enjoy that, but trust me that if it's bothering you now (in the part animated) it gets worse later.

The protagonist of I Shall Survive Using Potions is basically a complete copy of her, too. That's the one that gets joked about her warcrimes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 18, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

All three of FUNA's protagonists are insane.

The one from Make My Abilities Average might seem fine until you get her around a furry or she wants to do something she said she wouldn't.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the 2chan guy's isekai really a reflection of that forum's culture? I'm trying to understand the gimmick out of some fascination of a different culture's Internet culture. It looks like it just comes down to picking at insignificant details, demanding proof based on those details, and then picking on insignificant details of that proof, going down until the other side just breaks down. I've seen this kind of troll behavior before and I think the behavior is getting lost some in the translation.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Started Dead Mount Death Play anime episode

I read the manga a bit a while ago, but kind of lost interest because wasn't sure what it was trying to do with turning it into a mystery series

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's trying to be a mystery in the same way Baccano or Durarara. It's more of an excuse for quirky characters to do weird stuff.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

yeah not so much a mystery as a setpiece to allow a bunch of superpowered idiots with weird goals accidentally/purposefully collide in a small space.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is the 2chan guy's isekai really a reflection of that forum's culture? I'm trying to understand the gimmick out of some fascination of a different culture's Internet culture. It looks like it just comes down to picking at insignificant details, demanding proof based on those details, and then picking on insignificant details of that proof, going down until the other side just breaks down. I've seen this kind of troll behavior before and I think the behavior is getting lost some in the translation.

No i think thats about it.
To be expected, really, of a comic where youre supposed to think a website guy is cool.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No i think thats about it.
To be expected, really, of a comic where youre supposed to think a website guy is cool.

Why would I ever think a website guy is cool. Is this the Kirito thing all over again?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone never watched Kim Possible. Wade rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't remember if it got linked in this thread yet or not, but I really like this relatively new isekai about an old guy in a wheelchair dying of lung cancer and the nurse who was wheeling him to the doctor during an emergency, suddenly getting isekai'd out of nowhere. the first chapter is pretty simple, strong, and to the point.
https://mangadex.org/title/988c2df3-1827-409d-b8cf-aca0fcc5a4c9/yomei-nikagetsu-no-isekai-kenkouhou

I love the designs in it, the dwarves being relatively dwarf-ey but super tall, and their tech seems "forgotten civilization" style of crazy techno-magic, with missile launchers and basically a nuke referred to as "golems". the MC and his nurse buddy Toki are neat, the dragonewt girl clearly has a helluva backstory to unfold at some point but is a solid character so far, I like it, it's got style!

their only other series appear to be touhou doujins, looks like this is their first actual series, pretty impressive for a first outing.