Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The One Joke again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Kellies Nomination: Worst Attempt at an Own

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Children sometimes play pretend so I assume they're also pretending when they tell me things like "I'm scared" or "I'm hungry" or "I have a headache" - A Good Parent

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey can we stop the "pretending I'm unhappy and constantly aggressed against as my assigned gender" game for now, bud? Mommy's got a hangover and you've been doing it for fourteen years

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

From yesterday since I came home late from the movies:

China Daily

Middling or Meddling? by Cai Meng

No apologies to Peyo huh. That's 100% a Gargamel.

Le Monde

by Heng from Singapore
Irano-Saudi Treaty

Charlie Hebdo

A Frenchwoman like any other
"Soon to be fired 3 years from retirement."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
but if we legalise gay marriage what if someone wants to marry a dog

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why they changed the basketball rules after Air Bud.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

A Sauron Comic

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Jeremy Hunt’s budget – Cheltenham festival coincided with the chancellor outlining his tax and spending plans, which contained little to cheer those facing stagnating incomes"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Wall Street giants rescue US bank First Republic in $30bn deal

Independent:

Budget 2023: UK faces ‘disastrous decade’ for living standards as households set to be £4,200 poorer; Video shows Russia ‘flat-out lying’ about downed drone intercept, White House says

Times:

Dash to retire before Labour reverses pensions lifetime allowance plan

Evening Standard:

Met Police ‘clearly has a problem’ says Dominic Raab ahead of expected damning report

Stephen Collins:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Guavanaut posted:

Children sometimes play pretend so I assume they're also pretending when they tell me things like "I'm scared" or "I'm hungry" or "I have a headache" - A Good Parent

Brawnfire posted:

Hey can we stop the "pretending I'm unhappy and constantly aggressed against as my assigned gender" game for now, bud? Mommy's got a hangover and you've been doing it for fourteen years
That's what always gets me about these sorts of arguments. They're made as if no one in the audience has ever been or even seen a parent, and conservative parents are more than happy to play along. It's basically saying parents can't tell the difference between something a child genuinely believes and when they're just playing, as if "look mommy I'm a t-rex" means they actually think that, but ultimately "literally never listen to your child" is a more apt representation of the message.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

giving me a panic and checking the calender

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

World Famous W posted:

giving me a panic and checking the calender

uk mothers day is this sunday so he's not doing it at total random

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If your kid is saying they're a t-rex and you do not play along gently caress you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Murdstone posted:

If your kid is saying they're a t-rex and you do not play along gently caress you.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Murdstone posted:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

quote:

If your kid is saying they're transgender and you do not love them unconditionally gently caress you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

there was a scare story going around that was like "a CHILD identifies as a HORSE and they take him out for GALLOPS" which like even if that wasn't made up wholesale, yeah, that sounds like a great way to motivate a kid who loves horses to get some exercise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or the one about how schools have litter boxes now for children who identify as cats, that then turned out was one school and they were emergency toilets in case of a school shooter.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

pencilhands posted:

Who can forget the nyc skyline, with the iconic twin Empire State buildings

Not to put too much of an effort into his defense, but the tops of the 2 buildings are a little different. I think one's supposed to be Empire State, the other's the Chrysler Building.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vib Rib posted:

That's what always gets me about these sorts of arguments. They're made as if no one in the audience has ever been or even seen a parent, and conservative parents are more than happy to play along. It's basically saying parents can't tell the difference between something a child genuinely believes and when they're just playing, as if "look mommy I'm a t-rex" means they actually think that, but ultimately "literally never listen to your child" is a more apt representation of the message.
And these arguments usually come from the same people saying "we've got to keep the groomers away from our kids".

Like how do you know who is or is not a threat to children if you assume they're just making poo poo up all day and have no concerns worth legitimacy?

(The actual answer seems to be 'decide that it's gay men and Muslims' or similar.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Or the one about how schools have litter boxes now for children who identify as cats, that then turned out was one school and they were emergency toilets in case of a school shooter.

And everybody breathed a sigh of relief.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

PJK is Paul John Keating.

Knight:

Spooner:

Chris Bowen is the energy minister.

Leunig:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

And these arguments usually come from the same people saying "we've got to keep the groomers away from our kids".

Like how do you know who is or is not a threat to children if you assume they're just making poo poo up all day and have no concerns worth legitimacy?

(The actual answer seems to be 'decide that it's gay men and Muslims' or similar.)

That's easy. The threats always look like bad guys on television.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fister Roboto posted:

That's easy. The threats always look like bad guys on television.

Or the people that they don't like.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Marty Two Bulls

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

David Horsey

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

I’d say the lack of effort makes me sad but I don’t want to give Horsey the satisfaction

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

I can’t tell if I missed a doozy of a news story or if I’m having a stroke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

What?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
COVID was originally blamed on bats. The cartoon imagines that next it will be blamed on Ozzy Osbourne (who once bit off a bat's head) and Batman.

I guess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

You're framing this like it's a bad thing, KAL.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

idonotlikepeas posted:

Marty Two Bulls

This genuinely feels like a McCoy or a Stiglich or a Bok.

I mean, I know it's Marty Two Bulls, so it isn't "stupid kids these days can't even enjoy a movie because they're too woke" but it's hard to see it as anything but the dumb poo poo a right winger would make.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, I don't get it either. Avatar 1, aka Ferngully 2: Dance with Wolves Again, was incredibly ham-handed and had essentially the same message as Avatar 2.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah like the first panel I get as it romanticizes native culture with a White Savior narrative. But I haven’t seen the second.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O I (probably waaaaaaaaaaaay too indulgently) read that as “what a difference 14 years makes”.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s like it’s reminiscent of wordplay, but not actually wordplay. It’s the form of a joke but nothing funny or entertaining. I wonder if he’s just writing them with ChatGPT now.

This strip is consistent proof that once you get syndicated you never actually need to work again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's trying to be deep, but because the authors have the combined depth of a puddle in a desert, it doesn't really work. Also the truth in question is probably "black people are inherently criminal" Vs "no they're not". There is no middle position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Victar posted:

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but... WTF does he want other than more bank regulation?

What else is there? More 2008-style bank bailouts (as opposed to the current plan, which allows the bank shareholders/creditors to take a haircut but immediately restores uninsured depositors)? What about moral hazard?

The right wing story is that the bank failed because of "diversity", he probably wants Biden to go on TV and tell businesses to fire their "diversity hires" which is definitely. Not. Regulation.