Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Breetai posted:

Tried playing Yakuza Zero last night, got 2 hours into it, and came back to it this morning to discover that no, I had not progressed far enough to have generated any kind of autosave or to have encountered a savepoint.

I remember liking it the first time I played it, but gently caress games that don't respect your time.

lol

NoneMoreNegative posted:

welp; decide to go back and play a couple more hours of Yakuza 0 to try and find some fun, discover the game has no autosave and expects you to manually save in a phone box (the game at no point teaches you this) and I am set back approximately three hours of game to the start-of-chapter autosave.

I already didn't think the game respected my time with its insanely slow plotting; Uninstalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried the original Yakuza on PS2 and got totally stalled because of that horrible overly difficult railgun section towards the end.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Every time I go and replay Mass Effect I get reminded of the terrible autosave system at the worst times

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I played mass effect in possibly the worst way ever: neurotically saving before every conversation in case I didn't like how it played out and I wanted to go back and try different responses.

I was the thing dragging down my mass effect experience

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Meanwhile I was pushing buttons too fast and accidentally had Ashley kill Wrex, then just decided to keep rolling along

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oldpainless posted:

I would simply design a game with better controls

Thanks, Elon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I dunno, I've heard Yakuza 0 doesn't have autosaves.

I'm trying to think of examples of recent games that'd don't have any to speak of and not keep this conversation on an endless loop. Like Alien Isolation didn't but that was before both of them. And the Dead Space Remake has checkpoints even though it wants you to fully stop and find a save point

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ilmucche posted:

Assassin's creed Odyssey is pretty fun so far but there is a LOT going on with the combat system. Parry being two buttons, one of which is bound to the same button as attack, is really messing with me.

How many pieces of gear are in this game because it's already looking like it's going to be warhammer style 40 types of gear with 60 different emblems I can put on each one, for 5% differences in damage

You get tons of gear thrown at you all the time. Hang on to the good stuff (legendaries or things with stats you're interested in) and sell the rest.

With the right gear, weapon and engravings you can get insane bonuses. I ended up with gear that gave me 100% crit chance and something like 600% crit damage, so I insta-killed almost anything. If you stack the fire damage stuff you can do stupid stuff like hit eight enemies at once with arrows and they will all die within seconds.

Ah, here it is:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chance to gain 1% attack speed between 5:00am and 7:15pm on Tuesdays in odd numbered months: +1

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

+27% damage to batman-infused enemies

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Damage to undead/demons: +2% (Note: 1950s noir setting with no supernatural elements, nor combat of any sort)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stoatbringer posted:

You get tons of gear thrown at you all the time. Hang on to the good stuff (legendaries or things with stats you're interested in) and sell the rest.

With the right gear, weapon and engravings you can get insane bonuses.

Yeah I enjoyed having a sneaky assassin outfit + weapons / bonuses etc. and a direct combat outfit, and the fact you could swap between them anytime was possibly a little broken, if you messed up clearing a camp quietly you could immediately switch over to the big guns and do it the messy way.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Here's a thing dragging the Horizon series down: Lance Reddick just died. :sigh:

gently caress Ted Faro.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Agents are GO! posted:

Here's a thing dragging the Horizon series down: Lance Reddick just died. :sigh:

gently caress Ted Faro.

I suppose this is better than learning it from the Simpsons thread yet again.

He was SO GOOD as Sylens.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat that bums me out, especially at that age. He was so good in everything, and just an all time great voice.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Evilreaver posted:

Damage to undead/demons: +2% (Note: 1950s noir setting with no supernatural elements, nor combat of any sort)

That'd be pretty funny, actually, so long as it was a one-off joke.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's surely been done somewhere. Sounds like something out of Kingdom of Loathing, maybe.

Otoh, I'm also sure there are many crappy old CRPGs where oops, you put points into fire resistance but it turns out there's only three fire-type attacks in the entire game. And one is bugged to not count as fire.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

There was the first Final Fantasy game.

It had a spell called AMUT or Anti-mute, basically it cured silence.
Problem was there are only like 4 enemies in the whole game that cast it and if I remember right enemies used their abilities as part of a rotation rather than randomly so unless you dragged the fight out you would never see it.

In fact for the longest time most people, most notably Seanbaby, swore that no enemy could actually cast MUTE.

But the fact that AMUT, unlike most spells, did what it was supposed to do puts it above many spells.
At least it wasn't a debuff spell that actually buffed enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's also the long, long, long, long, long list of everything wrong with the gen1 Pokemon games.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Stoatbringer posted:

With the right gear, weapon and engravings you can get insane bonuses. I ended up with gear that gave me 100% crit chance and something like 600% crit damage, so I insta-killed almost anything. If you stack the fire damage stuff you can do stupid stuff like hit eight enemies at once with arrows and they will all die within seconds.

Ah, here it is:

It's wild how much gear the game gives out. That plus always having to upgrade it because of the level scaling is a pretty unfun system. Lots of constant gear management.

Hopefully I'll fall into a broken build eventually but who knows

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's so weird that they made Odyssey a looter shooter, when Origins did it pretty well (you upgrade your stats with skins and metals, find weapons and shields in boxes, and buy different cosmetic suits of armour in town).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

There's also the long, long, long, long, long list of everything wrong with the gen1 Pokemon games.

Honestly I can’t decide if the stuff that doesn’t work as intended like crits ignoring your positive stat modifiers is funnier or the stuff that works right but is still turbofucked due to the ambition of the original games, like Bug type “countering” Psychic but having no moves, or Normal having no real counters because the “best“ Fighting type move had 80 power, 80% accuracy, and did recoil damage.

Nah, it’s definitely the second category. Fun fact: in the Japanese versions of the Gen 1 games, Blizzard had a 1/3 chance of proccing Freeze!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

It's surely been done somewhere. Sounds like something out of Kingdom of Loathing, maybe.

Otoh, I'm also sure there are many crappy old CRPGs where oops, you put points into fire resistance but it turns out there's only three fire-type attacks in the entire game. And one is bugged to not count as fire.

The original Deus Ex had a thing where you could put skill points into swimming as well as getting an aug upgrade that lets you breathe underwater and there was like barely any point in the game where you could actually swim.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

The original Deus Ex had a thing where you could put skill points into swimming as well as getting an aug upgrade that lets you breathe underwater and there was like barely any point in the game where you could actually swim.

Hell, Cyberpunk released with a skill that made it tougher for enemies to hit you while you're swimming, or something like that.

There is not a single mission in the game that involves swimming and also enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Hell, Cyberpunk released with a skill that made it tougher for enemies to hit you while you're swimming, or something like that.

There is not a single mission in the game that involves swimming and also enemies.

Yep, in one of the updates they deleted that perk entirely because it had absolutely zero application, but it really speaks to the fact that the people designing the perk tree and the people designing the missions were not talking.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

muscles like this! posted:

JC Denton sometimes wants to just grok in the water for a while

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I can’t decide if the stuff that doesn’t work as intended like crits ignoring your positive stat modifiers is funnier or the stuff that works right but is still turbofucked due to the ambition of the original games, like Bug type “countering” Psychic but having no moves, or Normal having no real counters because the “best“ Fighting type move had 80 power, 80% accuracy, and did recoil damage.

Nah, it’s definitely the second category. Fun fact: in the Japanese versions of the Gen 1 games, Blizzard had a 1/3 chance of proccing Freeze!

My personal favorite was that they hosed up and made psychic types immune to ghosts, rather than weak to them; not that there were many ghost moves that actually did damage and the only ghost types were also poison types which just kind of assured the psychic type was flat out the best in the game.

But having been on a weird pokemon bug binge lately, it really does seem like Scarlet and Violet being as hosed up as they were was only unusual in that the bugs were so graphically oriented because while gen one gets poo poo on a lot for being an absolute dumpster fire; every generation of pokemon games is comedically buggy and broken in their own ways. Like how in almost every DS game, there are tiles you can randomly just surf on that aren't water but can just kind of gently caress your game up forever if you're dumb enough to save your game there because you can't get back off of your pokemon.

Evilreaver posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is very much a skill issue but the wall run in Pizza Tower drives me nuts. it's so touchy that you're liable to zip up a wall you didn't want to and then fling yourself into the wild blue yonder trying to disengage from it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nuebot posted:

My personal favorite was that they hosed up and made psychic types immune to ghosts, rather than weak to them; not that there were many ghost moves that actually did damage and the only ghost types were also poison types which just kind of assured the psychic type was flat out the best in the game.

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid and feeling all confident because I saw the episode of the anime where they explain Ghost is great against Psychic, only for me to get absolutely bodied by Sabrina because Haunter wasn't poo poo to her.

Speaking of game glitches and bad coding, I remember the old Lord of the Rings game for the SNES, where if you happened to hit max level and then level up again, it reset you back down to 1 because they didn't think to program in a "Stop leveling" line after 99, so it just rolled back over to 1.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

the_steve posted:

Speaking of game glitches and bad coding, I remember the old Lord of the Rings game for the SNES, where if you happened to hit max level and then level up again, it reset you back down to 1 because they didn't think to program in a "Stop leveling" line after 99, so it just rolled back over to 1.

Lol, wow. Hopefully the fact it made it in there means that most folks weren't gonna level up enough to run into that during a regular playthrough.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the_steve posted:

Speaking of leveling up: in Mad Max you can keep on getting xp but after a certain point Max is all leveled up and you have nothing to spend your points on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of leveling up: in Mad Max you can keep on getting xp but after a certain point Max is all leveled up and you have nothing to spend your points on.

I hate this in any game with XP and a maximum level: give me something for XP. Even something miniscule. In Spider-Man when you hit max level you get +1 HP and +1% to damage. It's almost inconsequential, but at least it means that the primary in-game reward is not obligated after a certain point.

The modern AC games still also give you skill points but unlock new skills that are basically small boosts to melee, ranged, or assassination damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

I hate this in any game with XP and a maximum level: give me something for XP. Even something miniscule. In Spider-Man when you hit max level you get +1 HP and +1% to damage. It's almost inconsequential, but at least it means that the primary in-game reward is not obligated after a certain point.

The modern AC games still also give you skill points but unlock new skills that are basically small boosts to melee, ranged, or assassination damage.

A nice thing I've seen with Vampire Survivors is once all your gear is maxed level, leveling up gives you some randomized improvement to one of your abilities. It might only be 1% damage with the axe or 2% projectile speed with the dagger, but you always get something, and once you've got a build in that game levels will come quick even in the end game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Wait what? I was playing last night and my only options on max level up were to get a bag of coins or floor chicken.

Thing dragging down Vampire Survivors, the game updates too much I can’t keep up with it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

moosecow333 posted:

Wait what? I was playing last night and my only options on max level up were to get a bag of coins or floor chicken.

Thing dragging down Vampire Survivors, the game updates too much I can’t keep up with it.

It's a level option unlock.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Quarry is pretty cool, but it's designed to be played multiple times to see everything and yet they made all the cutscenes unskippable and no fast forward option, even for the non interactive bits and even for the 27 minute credits if you want to get the achievement for seeing the epilogue.
Also after your first playthrough you unlock chapter select, except that overrides your progress so if you missed a single collectable and it's on chapter 2 you can go back and get it, but then you have to play the entire rest of the game to have it count, and it doesn't track anything outside that playthrough so even if that's literally the last collectible you needed, you need to both finish the game from there and get all the other collectables again.
Definitely not a lot of respect for your time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Opopanax posted:

The Quarry is pretty cool, but it's designed to be played multiple times to see everything and yet they made all the cutscenes unskippable and no fast forward option, even for the non interactive bits and even for the 27 minute credits if you want to get the achievement for seeing the epilogue.

The "Life is but a dream" trophy in Draugen is even worse. To earn that you have to not skip the credits and then after the credits you have to listen to 35 minutes of the main character rowing the boat.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

moosecow333 posted:

Once you find the right relic (I forget what it's called or what level it's in, sorry), you unlock the Limit Break option for a run. While it's active, it's like Marshmallow Creep said- levels will let you get additional bonuses on your weapons instead of only being able to pick money or chicken.

Morpheus posted:

God of War 2018 also does this right: once you've gotten all of Kratos and Atreus' skills, you can convert your XP into hacksilver at a 1:1 rate. Useful in the base game if you're still trying to max out one of the legendary armors, absolutely invaluable in New Game+ where all the new items are ridiculously expensive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I noticed this while playing the RE4 Remake demo so I'm sure it's not all games but it stuck out with that one.

With how widespread and accepted car seats not having head rests is, I'm surprised doors in games aren't usually on hinges since people don't always use the doorknob anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

With how widespread and accepted car seats not having head rests is, I'm surprised doors in games aren't usually on hinges since people don't always use the doorknob anyway.

What are you trying to say here? What does doorknobs have to do with hinges? But yeah, a lot of games don't have visible hinges on hinged doors both because it's a tiny useless graphic and because making it hinge both ways is so much easier both from a dev and player perspective.