Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

Is there an in universe reason why Lukka is so incompetent? Sure other planeswalker have character flaws but Lukka's flaw seems to be "makes bad decisions".

Have you met Tibalt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Kashuno posted:

Have you met Tibalt

Only his trickeries, and I did not care for them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Huge flavor fail releasing March of the Machines in April. 21 days too late, smh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Nahiri was Zendikar where she said she'd kickstart the Lithoform Engine and conquer her home. Tamiyo was Kamigawa as you said. Lukka was Ikoria and everyone involved assumes he'll gently caress it up. Ajani is Theros to conquer their gods and, presumably in connection with why Atraxa is sent to Capenna, gently caress with anything Elspeth related. Atraxa is sent to Capenna because 1) Phyrexians were there before and failed. Therefore, they're not worth rescuing/welcoming into the ranks of New Phyrexia, so scrap them for parts(that's the ship part). 2) Since Phyrexians were already there, and Capenna rejected the glory of Phyrexia, its to be destroyed outright rather than compleated. They had their chance. 3) Angels and Halo. Since Halo, and the Angels that produce it, are potentially a problem to New Phyrexia, it's to be dealt with, and Atraxa hopefully will be somewhat resistant due to their Angel history. Also 4) As above, gently caress with things involving Elspeth cause Ashiok has Norn really shook about her.

Thanks for the breakdown. Didn't know New Capenna was built on the back of a failed Phyrexian ship. Don't suppose there's an Old Capenna from before then, or not one in sets? Also if the New Capenna citizens beat Phyrexianbefore why is she confident they'll get em this time?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I believe the only representation old capenna has on cards is implied (but not confirmed) to be from this single card

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Thanks for the breakdown. Didn't know New Capenna was built on the back of a failed Phyrexian ship. Don't suppose there's an Old Capenna from before then, or not one in sets? Also if the New Capenna citizens beat Phyrexianbefore why is she confident they'll get em this time?

Old Capenna isn't a set or anything, yeah. New Capenna was a new plane for us story/game wise and then learned the city was built on the ruins of Old Capenna(and the plane outside the city seems to be a wasteland). As for the why: 1) Bit of hubris. Elesh Norn and her machinations are perfect after all, so how could they fail? 2) The Angels & Halo were the big reason for the failures of the original Phyrexians that arrived on Capenna, and they've since been sealed away. Since the original Phyrexians were defeated by an alliance of archdemons and angels on the plane, and once they were through it the demons, as demons do,betrayed them and locked the angels in stasis. Of course, they were apparently starting(or in some cards fully? It's been a weird disconnect between story/storyline and cards/words of other non Story WotC folk) to be freed from stasis after New Capenna's story.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Old Capenna sucked, everyone was so sick of pervert jailers leaving their dangling prisoners everywhere.

I loved the New Capenna art and theme from what I've seen or played with, so I'm rooting for it to not be compleatly poo poo hosed. Wildest dream: They make Atraxa drown in Halo and she comes back to life restored as an angel with the strength of some kind of righteous unPhyrexian angel

newershadow
May 18, 2014
On that note, the next two story episodes are up (both main story):
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-3-mother-son-and-story

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-4-beneath-eyes-unblinking

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

dragon enthusiast posted:

I believe the only representation old capenna has on cards is implied (but not confirmed) to be from this single card

Could you please elaborate more on the connection? I don't really see anything about the card that would imply anything involving Capenna . . .

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MasterBuilder posted:

Is there an in universe reason why Lukka is so incompetent? Sure other planeswalker have character flaws but Lukka's flaw seems to be "makes bad decisions".

\/
Okay my theory is that as a child Lukka bonded with a real dumb animal and it hosed him up for life.

Dude is just depicted as dumb as a box of rocks and highly allergic to empathy.

In his introduction story he's the favored Leuitenant of General Kudro in the defense of their city state against the monsters of Ikoria. During a fight he accidentally learns he's a bonder and when it comes out is exiled and lives in the wilderness learning from the other bonders.

He gets so hyped up on this new ability that he believes if he shows his old fascist society how powerful the ability is they have to let him back in.

To achieve this he uses the Ozolith to forcefully subjugate all the monsters in the area and sends them after the city to destroy it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Seems like any of these invasions could probably be their own long stories, plus usually invasions like that can take up a whole set. Glad Kamigawa seems like it'll win. I thought it was a really goofy move letting Tamiyo's kid pop up and risk being compleated, but I guess it worked out.

Interesting they got Tamiyo down and Kamigawa invasion on the backdoor, but set up teasers for the other planes and characters.

I don't know enough about Kaladesh to understand what this bronze lizard thing was about, guessing just a cool local creature or machine.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
With Vishgraz and Ixhel ready and waiting to pounce on any weakness of Elesh Norn or Atraxa, this seems pretty significant that both are so mentally off-balance for various reasons. There seems to be a setup for a fundamental cultural change of some sort in New Phyrexians after all this due to the glistening oil possibly mutating quickly after Jin-Gitaxis's made it work very fast.

And now the Viking plane is united and possibly going to be following the cosmos path of realmbreaker in a megafleet motivated by vengeance and the promise of a world full of metal both useful and precious. That'll get the Draugr interested in sailing to New Phyrexia.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope that's where they are going with it now that the oil itself can magically transform stuff instantly. Maybe this leaves more of individuality left creating discord for the whole, not that I've ever seen Phyrexians approach anything like unity or a hive mind. Doesn't help we mostly hear the internal thoughts of planeswalkers, or praetors, who are both special and very much individuals. Just individuals who are really into their new gang.

Honestly I was expecting them to open with a few planes at least getting hastily compleated before the resistance finally overcomes. I wonder if Tamiyo's reading of that story is meant to be a saga card or will be a new battle card. Boseinu being splintered should also be a card. Did they already spoil mom lands? Could there be a cool legendary land cycle of iconic lands being wrecked?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

Could you please elaborate more on the connection? I don't really see anything about the card that would imply anything involving Capenna . . .

it's an extremely old fan theory from back when the first elspeth card was printed and people looked for anything that matched her backstory of a "prison plane" and the art style in her planeswalker comic seemed to draw inspiration

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

I hope that's where they are going with it now that the oil itself can magically transform stuff instantly. Maybe this leaves more of individuality left creating discord for the whole, not that I've ever seen Phyrexians approach anything like unity or a hive mind. Doesn't help we mostly hear the internal thoughts of planeswalkers, or praetors, who are both special and very much individuals. Just individuals who are really into their new gang.

Honestly I was expecting them to open with a few planes at least getting hastily compleated before the resistance finally overcomes. I wonder if Tamiyo's reading of that story is meant to be a saga card or will be a new battle card. Boseinu being splintered should also be a card. Did they already spoil mom lands? Could there be a cool legendary land cycle of iconic lands being wrecked?
Yeah, if it was modified to work that fast in such a relatively short timespan from when we last saw them on scars, there has to be a big tradeoff. I bet that the Oil always had the possibility of moving this fast in Yawgmoths Phyrexia, but he valued ideological conformity and error checking over speed. He had all the time in the world, he was a god.

But now the Oil has been unshackled, and it becomes vulnerable to outside influence even as it spreads. In new Capenna Atraxa is having conniptions over compleated Maestros speaking mentally with her and each over about 'Beauty' as they admire their new forms and see it as art. The weight of this growing hivemind of asthete phyrexians all pressing on her makes her destroy Xanders museum in a rage.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I could see it as a function of Phyrexia growing larger than the hive mind can handle. Phyrexians are scattered across more planes than ever before, probably more Phyrexians than ever before. There may be an upper limit on how many beings across how many planes can all be kept on the same page before errors start to creep in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Are the Phyrexians even a hive mind anymore? Given that they have factions and that Urabrask's faction is relatively chill I'm thinking not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When are we getting to the eldrazi factory

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bet the eldrazi come back in the eldraine set, because it kinda rhymes

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's an extremely old fan theory from back when the first elspeth card was printed and people looked for anything that matched her backstory of a "prison plane" and the art style in her planeswalker comic seemed to draw inspiration

Ahhh, thanks.

Khanstant posted:

I don't know enough about Kaladesh to understand what this bronze lizard thing was about, guessing just a cool local creature or machine.

I think it's Saheeli being inspired by Huatli's dinosaurs :3:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serf posted:

Are the Phyrexians even a hive mind anymore? Given that they have factions and that Urabrask's faction is relatively chill I'm thinking not.

It really seems more like a confederacy or supergroup of fanatics/cultists/religious splinters. Everyone agrees Phyrexians the best and they love the catchphrases and cool bible verses and poo poo, but they all have their own interpretations and each Praetor wants to wield the supposed perfect whole specifically for the poo poo they were already kinda into. Reckon for a lot of newts and foot soldiers or whatever division there is of individualism it's probably not that important or possible for them to care about, but every named Phyrexian deserves a name because they are definitely not just a slice of a collective, they seem to want to be the head themselves and are quick to conflate their ideals with that of Phyrexian perfection.

Plus now Ashiok getting in their heads, oil is weird now possibly even reversible, Norn didn't even have control of New Phyrexia before launching a ridiculously broad invasion of everywhere. Maybe if Norn had full control, if Atraxa was all colours, if Planeswalkers retained less of themselves, and maybe did more softening of targets in preparation without accidentally empowering the targets they would stand a chance. The exponential growth via attrition should make them an unstoppable force, but their own evil quirks will ultimately be their undoing.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Serf posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-4-beneath-eyes-unblinking
Atraxa has a mind link to other nearby Phyrexians on the plane in the latest story, so I think its a property of her being a commander. She's acting as a networking hub for coordinating the invasion. I wonder if other phyrexians leading other invasions also act like this. It might be a wartime measure that isn't used on new Phyrexia because of all the factions wanting to keep secrets.
Would also explain why killing the commanders cripples their forces.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Actually, what I'm thinking of as a proper fictional hive mind is really not like superorganism and Hive animals on Earth. Thinking of the five Phyrexian clans as competing but technically related any colonies kind of works. Not so much true psychic dominance as overwhelming pheromone control directing a bunch of different organisms modded to just do what the Phyrexian stink in the area is telling em to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

White is attempting to be a Hive Mind, all the other Phyrexian Praetors besides Elesh Norn aren't as interested in the unified perfection angle.

Elesh Norn wants everything in the multiverse to be an extension of herself as the ultimate form of perfect order.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MasterBuilder posted:

\/
Okay my theory is that as a child Lukka bonded with a real dumb animal and it hosed him up for life.

He saw how much of a dipshit fuckup Tezzeret was and said "hold my beer"

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I really hope Kyodai and the Wandering Emperor have a scene where they go to a secret cave and undo Kyodais seal on the Oni that suppresses them and locks them away.

You can borrow the kamigawa books from archive.org library if you want.

I just want to see Hidetsugu and legions of oni emerge and barrel down the realmbreaker branches as they are used as the vanguard for a Kamigawan counterinvasion force.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m wondering if this invasion will be used as an excuse to break up the shards in Alara or otherwise give a reason to go back there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Serf posted:

It was set up back with Mirrodin Besieged that different colors of mana not only empowered but infected the phyrexians with adversarial philosophies. Even the closest to OG black mana-aligned turned their realm into a non stop backstab competition without the guidance of a supreme figure like Yawg daddy.

On top of that, converted planeswalkers due to a non-traditional process and the presence of spark all have remaining individual minds.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

whydirt posted:

I’m wondering if this invasion will be used as an excuse to break up the shards in Alara or otherwise give a reason to go back there.

Alara Resharded, followed by Alara Reshidded

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Alara Resharded, followed by Alara Reshidded

I'd only play these sets I'd they were real.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Well, itd hard to play the sets if they werent

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It feels like Phyrexia has changed a lot, I think this is shown really well by the flavor text on Phyrexian Revoker. The first print read "Basic senses like sight and taste are reserved for those in power." where the most recent one says "These skittering creatures were created to hunt the one true threat to Phyrexia: dissent.". Old Phyrexia was machines wearing the faces of the dead, the horror came not just from being killed, but in being turned into parts for that machine. New Phyrexia is just... a society. It's a lovely fascist society, the revokers are spider gestapo apparently, but that's still a pretty big leap from what it was.

This changes the context of all the body horror stuff too. Old Phyrexians being a goopy biomechanical mess of corpses and gears, it emphasized what made them horrific. It's saying: you too are built of parts the Phyrexians could use. Now, phyresis is just like, idk, a weird fad diet: "Hey, you wanna replace all your blood with oil? Everybody who does it says it's great!". Personally, I'm not all that attached to my blood, I'd listen to the pros and cons I guess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Compleated George: we all will be one IN A SOCIETY!!

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/11ugh3m/elesh_norn_and_elspeth_with_a_folding_chair/
Someone on reddit got inspired by all the foreshadowing about Elspeth's return and showdown with Elesh Norn and decided to make a diorama.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Howling at Arena

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantSpeedyTarsierPanicVis-bF-15nhdmTRRxtqH

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Compleated George: we all will be one IN A SOCIETY!!

Truly the most terrifying part of New Phyrexia to a neoliberal isn't the desecration of the dead or the forced medical procedures, it's the fact that these monsters live in a society.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I didn't know autotapper deprioritozed treasure that much lol. I have gotten in the habit of tapping Mishra's foundry manually when I need red though, it always wants to leave manlands open.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I wish you could set autotapper priority options, I've lost games to the autotapper deciding it better keep a Demo Field as the only tapped land when I have three cards that need only one blue mana in my hand.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Very cool. I love the implication that Elspeth is ten feet tall when she comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Algid posted:

I didn't know autotapper deprioritozed treasure that much lol. I have gotten in the habit of tapping Mishra's foundry manually when I need red though, it always wants to leave manlands open.

I need to make that habit. It can also gently caress up the Atraxa decks in some cases but not as much as monored with manlands. On paper it's not a problem since you have to tap, and I play casually so if you really gently caress up like nobody is going to give you guff as long as you actually have all the lands/mana you're trying to use.

I'd love some sort of delay after making plays to undo them before it gets sent to opponent. Sometimes you just clicked the wrong card or arena presented the two actions a spell does in an order you didn't expect so you flipped targets.