Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

G'raha is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

hopeandjoy posted:

I think G’raha Tia is cute.

:yeah:

I like him

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

G’raha is ok now. I was not a fan of post Exarch ShB G’raha, but thankfully the writers have dialed his annoying dog/crush/hero worship aspect back a bit. But I really hope he takes a backseat for a while moving forward. At least in the MSQ, he can still be involved in side content. Same with the twins, they’re cool and all but I’m glad they’re not major players in the current story and didn’t appear at all until 6.3.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i stand by my take that g'raha would be substantially more likable all-around if you made basically zero changes at all except letting the exarch actually be an old man and not "g'raha but he's sort of older but mostly frozen in time". i think letting him be Actually Old would've made ShB a lot more interesting (particularly when he's like, musing about the past or his old heroes), and would do a lot more to clearly distinguish the crystal exarch from g'raha tia, a much younger man with much less life experience who happens to have the exarch's memories. like the thavnair scene doesn't hit nearly as well as it could imo, in part because there's so much direct continuity from the exarch to g'raha visually and auditorily (bailey doesn't play them particularly different or anything) that the return of Exarch Mode is just kinda like, oh right, this man used to be a mayor, and not like, how strange to see this 24 year old suddenly start comporting himself like a 1000 year old man. his return at the end of 5.3 feels a lot more like "wow our best friend, the crystal exarch, is back" when it should honestly be a little more like ezri and jadzia dax, maybe. the exarch even just recorded a message that was like "hey, younger me. this is me dying, like i'm actually dead, this is the end of memory, full stop. i hope u have a good time tho!!!" and everyone was just like wow, g'raha tia, with whom we've adventured a whole bunch already, is back! glad you made the trip from the first successfully.

e: to be clear i think the above is something the writing is kind of going for at points, it's just not something the visuals or the performance portray with particular clarity, imo.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 18, 2023

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Compromise: you date both of them

I get the feeling Runar would be 100% down for this. It's got to be the accent!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

Listen. My virtual fantasy catboy boyfriend is extremely sweet and kind and brave and affectionate. I won't stand for this.

I think the thing I like about Graha post-Shadowbringers is that he basically gets to express the feelings that my WoL has. Like I pretty much 100% vibe with Graha any time he's around. He's just a chill person and wants to have a good time going on adventures and doesn't care if he's tank, dps, or healer, and he most certainly paid real life U.S. dollars to unlock a custom ear-twitch emote. He gets me.

:same:

I love my cute catboy BF who finally gets to go on adventures with WoL.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Valentin posted:

i stand by my take that g'raha would be substantially more likable all-around if you made basically zero changes at all except letting the exarch actually be an old man and not "g'raha but he's sort of older but mostly frozen in time". i think letting him be Actually Old would've made ShB a lot more interesting (particularly when he's like, musing about the past or his old heroes), and would do a lot more to clearly distinguish the crystal exarch from g'raha tia,

BUt he's not different at all. Even after all the time his plan, the entire goal of the people that aided him, was entirely rooted in that childish boyhood idolization. They the exact same character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In non G'raha discussion (he rules btw), I wish there was a shade of purple dye that matched the highlights on the NIN 90 AF. It's such a cool shade and I want to match it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
https://twitter.com/glitchywriter/status/1637150690853416962

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Arist posted:

In non G'raha discussion (he rules btw), I wish there was a shade of purple dye that matched the highlights on the NIN 90 AF. It's such a cool shade and I want to match it.

Very much same. Also the lvl 90 AST gear purple which is similar but a little warmer hue!

Rhadz is covered with vibrant hues I wish we got tbh

Also I just got the tomes for the next manderville step and bought the wrong rocks. My dumb rear end.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
G'raha has problems because he's trapped in the Schrodinger's Catboy of romantic indeterminacy, where the writing leaves it ambiguous whether you're in a relationship with him or not, but it's not really believable that the Warrior of Light would keep him hanging this long.

What I'm saying is that after Endwalker you should be able to start romance sidequests.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But what if Urianger goes to Mars? :ohdear:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Veotax posted:

This was also the perfect patch for the time it came out. It was the first patch that came out during the pandemic and was delayed for two months while they were figuring out the whole work from home thing.

It really helped that it was loving fantastic patch and not something just ok.

Also finding out that Soken was privately fighting cancer at the time and NO ONE knew about it made that song hit way harder.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

G’raha is ok now. I was not a fan of post Exarch ShB G’raha, but thankfully the writers have dialed his annoying dog/crush/hero worship aspect back a bit. But I really hope he takes a backseat for a while moving forward. At least in the MSQ, he can still be involved in side content. Same with the twins, they’re cool and all but I’m glad they’re not major players in the current story and didn’t appear at all until 6.3.

Unless they do something permanent with Zero it seems like they're gearing up for her to be important later on (especially given that I suspect 7.0 is going to lean pretty heavily into the void and she's important) and we continue to gain new members, so they basically have to keep coming up with reasons why certain characters are/aren't always available and around.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

super sweet best pal posted:

ARR G'raha was the worst guy, mostly because his character arc ended with "the world isn't ready for this technology yet so I'm going to lock it away." I don't mind modern G'raha so much.

G'raha Tia is a Simp. It's the loving worst. "OH PLEASE TAKE ME ON ADVENTURE!!!" Like, motherfucker, what do you think we are doing right now? Dude forged a parasocial relationship with the Warrior of Light.

Cleretic posted:

Meanwhile I don't like modern G'raha. (Spoiler-tagging because frankly I've lost track of if there's still people going through the story and I want to be careful) I feel like he's just written entirely to be husbando/shipping bait and any other character traits almost seem to be, like... begrudgingly tolerated by the writers.

Who is this man when he's not fawning over us? I don't think he has, like... hobbies, or goals anymore. He was interesting as the Crystal Exarch, but he REALLY doesn't want to go back to being that... without really replacing that with anything. At least Harchefaunt had a job and a dad, I knew things about him!

I can't believe I agree on this subject with loving Cleretic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

G'raha has problems because he's trapped in the Schrodinger's Catboy of romantic indeterminacy, where the writing leaves it ambiguous whether you're in a relationship with him or not, but it's not really believable that the Warrior of Light would keep him hanging this long.

What I'm saying is that after Endwalker you should be able to start romance sidequests.

:yeah:

I support adding Social Links to FFXIV in an upcoming patch too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Dude forged a parasocial relationship with the Warrior of Light.

to be fair he did spend about a century thinking about us and trying really hard to manifest us into existence

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i do not think graha is written in a romantic way, and i don't really think they intend for you to interpret his interactions with the WoL as romantic? I think if you interpret it that way you're choosing to, i never really got that subtext from anything. I mean we did basically singlehandedly save his entire world and also his life so if anything I read it as he's extremely thankful and we're the only reason he and the world he worked for a century to create/save is still around. reads a lot more like he has an unspoken life debt to us, which is annoying for different reasons but i don't think he's written that way. i think if you asked graha who his hero was, he would say it's the wol without even hesitating

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I mean you'd both be wrong then. You literally see him doing his job, multiple times in the last few updates. He's a scholar and trying to rebuild a sub school/group of the Sharlyan colleges The whole reason for the current alliance raid is that job.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because he comes across as a peer rather than a younger sibling/child for you, is the probably the answer. That sort of hero worship often feels fine from a younger admirer but awkward from someone ostensibly on the same level as you.

This actually articulates a lot of my ick too.

Macaluso posted:

A lot of people are horny for G'raha and I can't judge them for it because like *gestures at Y'shtola* *wiggles eyebrows*

It's interesting because lately my views on the Scions has really shifted and I think of them more as longterm peers and not anything ever romance-able. And that's probably why G'raha's constant simping grates on me. Like dude, just be chill.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know some cishet dudes who are really a ride or die for g'raha as a bro, regardless of his romantic feelings which they fully acknowledge exist.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

G'raha Tia is a Simp. It's the loving worst. "OH PLEASE TAKE ME ON ADVENTURE!!!" Like, motherfucker, what do you think we are doing right now? Dude forged a parasocial relationship with the Warrior of Light.

No, that's just a normal social relationship. They know each other.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean you'd both be wrong then. You literally see him doing his job, multiple times in the last few updates. He's a scholar and trying to rebuild a sub school/group of the Sharlyan colleges The whole reason for the current alliance raid is that job.

I actually think post-EW is the first time G'raha has been tolerable since he was the Exarch. I take umbrage with 6.0 G'raha. Maybe I like G'raha more the further he is from the MSQ.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

G'raha has the most important quality, which is that he really appreciates a good Burger

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordiceius posted:

This actually articulates a lot of my ick too.

It's interesting because lately my views on the Scions has really shifted and I think of them more as longterm peers and not anything ever romance-able. And that's probably why G'raha's constant simping grates on me. Like dude, just be chill.

And on my end thanks to my own thoughts about the Viera lifestyle/perception, my Warrior of Light's personal characterisation within the choices given, and personal interests. I'm of the opinion that Hanayuki Mikazuchi whilst not necessarily romantically entangled, has had trysts with Y'shtola, Thancred, Urianger and G'raha. Although not for anything more than a good time between friends.

Estinien more common than anyone else though, because Estinien is a combat freak and so is Hanayuki.

But again, partially to do with my thoughts to how Viera, particularly traditionally minded ones, might view such engagements.

Which also reminds me how happy I was with the latest custom delivery NPC questline having a great moment of acknowledging if you are playing as a male Viera you get a full on invitation to come into the female Viis Village for a proper good time with all the ladies when Anden's sister flirts with you and calls you a much better potential catch. Literally don't be a stranger is almost said verbatim because they haven't seen a male Viis since the flood of light and they have a similar system of periodic mating as the Source Viera.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 18, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I actually think post-EW is the first time G'raha has been tolerable since he was the Exarch. I take umbrage with 6.0 G'raha. Maybe I like G'raha more the further he is from the MSQ.

Your argument was that you didn't know what he was doing when not adventuring with you. Post EW is the first time since he's join that he was ever not actively doing that and apparently you think it's tolerable and good. What's the problem with it before?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zen it's ok if people don't like G'raha as much as others. I'm glad he's a character you enjoy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your argument was that you didn't know what he was doing when not adventuring with you. Post EW is the first time since he's join that he was ever not actively doing that and apparently you think it's tolerable and good. What's the problem with it before?

It's less that I don't know what he's doing and more that, when he's around in the MSQ, it feels like his main character attribute is "simping for the WoL" more than any other trait.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Rand Brittain posted:

Probably unlikely in a game where you can straight up get married. A quasi-sorta romantic relationship that you, the player, can either ignore or lean into is about as strong as they are going to write.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 18, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

G'raha is good in that he really wants to be the fantasy equivalent of a globetrotting Action Scientist a la Doc Savage or the dad from Jonny Quest (with the WoL as his Race Bannon) and I can respect that as a life goal

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dareon posted:

Having his model with the shaded hood is also rude, when there's a lot of points where we're looking up from low enough we could feasibly see under it. Especially when they swap to the revealed model and his hood's still in the same place, but now there's a face under it.

This is another argument for Lala Exarch, IMHO: under the hood, he can just wear a dwarf helmet. You know, for deep cover.

And under that... it's gotta be Wedge, right? Immortalized cyborg Wedge? Or I guess the regular one got unstuck in time again.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think people overblow G'raha's simping a little. Like yeah he idolizes the hell out of you but it's always come across as like "dude like your were my inspiration to become an adventurer". It's no less silly than Alisae apparently spending a majority of her time in The First before you arrive just talking about how cool you are non-stop. She just hides it and plays it off a bit better.

Then again in this latest patch G'raha answers the phone to you calling and then immediately crashes into the floor tripping over poo poo in excitement so maybe it's not overblown lol.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thumbtacks posted:

Unless they do something permanent with Zero it seems like they're gearing up for her to be important later on (especially given that I suspect 7.0 is going to lean pretty heavily into the void and she's important) and we continue to gain new members, so they basically have to keep coming up with reasons why certain characters are/aren't always available and around.

A big indication that they're planning on keeping Zero around is that she's been added to the Trust menu, while other duty support guest party members aren't. So she'll likely be involved with at least 7.0's plot imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No Scions in 7.0, our party is Zero, new characters, and maybe an NPC that hasn't done anything in a while like Yugiri or something

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Waffleman_ posted:

No Scions in 7.0, our party is Zero, new characters, and maybe an NPC that hasn't done anything in a while like Yugiri or something

Actually that sounds loving rad as hell. Sign me up for adventurers in Meracydia or the New World with my edgelord goth friend.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I say this with no sarcasm - if they kill off Zero, it is actually going to upset me to the point where I will be unable to not think less of this game and the story going forward. Killing Zero off will irrevocably damage my views of this game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Zen it's ok if people don't like G'raha as much as others. I'm glad he's a character you enjoy

I don't like. I think he's the least good version of the relationship you get with the twins. I just am confused by the reasoning behind people's takes.

Mordiceius posted:

I say this with no sarcasm - if they kill off Zero, it is actually going to upset me to the point where I will be unable to not think less of this game and the story going forward. Killing Zero off will irrevocably damage my views of this game.

Zero getting added to the trust system makes me think we're in for the long haul.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

No mainline Scions in our party, just 2nd stringers like Hoary and Coultenet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

7.0 is the Hoary Boulder expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Forget the scions; give me Giott.