Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hahaha Monsoon lost their appeal so hard it went from a split loss to unanimous loss

Lmao, sorry guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Is it just me or did shredditbro look like it had an easier time driving when it got flipped upside down then how it was doing right side up? Not that it really counts for much.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

That preview during them ominous vs shreddit bro fight was the most disrespectful thing. :lol:

They are airing every fight this season, so they can't dump the bad ones to youtube anymore.

It seems like they have taken to dumping the bad ones to right before the main event.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah with that one tbh if it were me I wouldn't have stopped either. It's still moving and they didn't start a countdown, and it was really only a matter of seconds.

Queering Wheel posted:

tbh Riptide was probably doing them a favor considering Shrederator sucks rear end and they should try a new bot already

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dunno, I was expecting Riptide to get in free shots during the countdown or something. That seemed like a normal level of violence to me

Agreed on all these. Team Riptide didn't do anything wrong inside the box (even though they acted a bit obnoxious outside the box), Team Shred were sore losers.

E: edited for clarity

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 10, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

MVP of the episode is definitely the small child on Team Copperhead yelling "yay we won!" :kimchi:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaha Monsoon lost their appeal so hard it went from a split loss to unanimous loss

Lmao, sorry guys

It really was a case of pointless appeals, not just Monsoon's. Shatter didn't understand the concept of control either. Basing your case on "they're running away" is not a winning strategy my man. That Shreddit Bro appeal came from nowhere. Why can't they be cool like Matt Spurk and just give them high-5's when he lost? Too busy being some gang or something.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

ewe2 posted:

It really was a case of pointless appeals, not just Monsoon's. Shatter didn't understand the concept of control either. Basing your case on "they're running away" is not a winning strategy my man. That Shreddit Bro appeal came from nowhere. Why can't they be cool like Matt Spurk and just give them high-5's when he lost? Too busy being some gang or something.

Yeah, Shreddit Bro's really felt like a Hail Mary, which is sympathetic given that it sounds like that team is at risk of not getting asked back at all after their lack of success, but they had absolutely no case. I can almost understand Shatter playing the "our weapon worked, theirs didn't" card, and maybe just some general confusion because what the gently caress even was that fight, but it was a pretty shaky argument. In general, I suspect the teams aren't taking the right message from Team Malice's successful appeal -- that it was successful because Bunny Soriel had a concrete, objective argument for the judges to consider, and if you can't put together that level of argument, you're probably just wasting everyone's time.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Use it or lose it, there's nothing wrong with spending your appeal.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, Shreddit Bro's really felt like a Hail Mary, which is sympathetic given that it sounds like that team is at risk of not getting asked back at all after their lack of success, but they had absolutely no case. I can almost understand Shatter playing the "our weapon worked, theirs didn't" card, and maybe just some general confusion because what the gently caress even was that fight, but it was a pretty shaky argument. In general, I suspect the teams aren't taking the right message from Team Malice's successful appeal -- that it was successful because Bunny Soriel had a concrete, objective argument for the judges to consider, and if you can't put together that level of argument, you're probably just wasting everyone's time.

In the Horizon fight, both disks spun at the end. Probably not a shock that the judges were making extra sure they were watching for powered motion after the Malice/Valkyrie appeal.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Maybe even the teams competing don't understand the judging matrix! :v:

Always nice to see great driving by Matt Vasquez pay off. Whiplash the bot wouldn't be much without him at the sticks.

Captain Shredderator is always whining about a loss, but come on. Maybe what Riptide did wasn't against the rules but that wasn't cool. I don't remember any other teams going back in for more and more hits after they clearly won.

Dude from Kraken is an excellent example of how to take a loss gracefully and show sportsmanship. There a pics of him with the little kid from Copperhead after the match. Stand up guy.

Martin Mason was great as a guest commentator too. Seems to really know his stuff when it comes to Battlebots.

Honestly I think the people are the most important part of the show. It's the personalities and emotions that come through that make the fights worthwhile imo.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly don't understand how Monsoon lost, they'd almost ripped off an entire top panel from Whiplash, and as far as I could see they received no damage. Where did Whiplash get 2 points in the damage category from?

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1634026413270642688

Edit: 0 control? WTF was Derek smoking?

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 10, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I honestly don't understand how Monsoon lost, they'd almost ripped off an entire top panel from Whiplash, and as far as I could see they received no damage. Where did Whiplash get 2 points in the damage category from?

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1634026413270642688

Edit: 0 control? WTF was Derek smoking?

Woo boy, you do not see a 3-0 in control or aggression very often.

I'd argue that functional weapons attack line at the bottom rules out at 3-0 in Whiplash's favor.

I've thought in the past when Whiplash didn't bring a spinner and only used the lifter that they ought to be running the spinner, but I can see why they don't based on the judging criteria. The spinner doesn't do a lot for them, and it's a huge failure point that can give easy damage points to their opponent.

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Judges-Guide-Rev.2021.0.pdf

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 10, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think judge Derek was changing numbers just for the sake of changing numbers but still giving Whiplash the win. I think he had it right the first time. I don't see how Lisa gave Monsoon more control points than Whiplash, but I'm a big fan of Whiplash so I'm willing to admit I'm biased.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

TomR posted:

I think judge Derek was changing numbers just for the sake of changing numbers but still giving Whiplash the win. I think he had it right the first time. I don't see how Lisa gave Monsoon more control points than Whiplash, but I'm a big fan of Whiplash so I'm willing to admit I'm biased.

The right side of Whiplash's drive was all messed up and it couldn't really move decisively or effectively after that

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

The right side of Whiplash's drive was all messed up and it couldn't really move decisively or effectively after that

Even after they lost drive on one side Whiplash had more control than Monsoon and showed more aggression. Monsoon was spinning around while Whiplash maneuvered to engage and won every contact the bots had.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

MikeNCR posted:

In the Horizon fight, both disks spun at the end. Probably not a shock that the judges were making extra sure they were watching for powered motion after the Malice/Valkyrie appeal.

Oh, okay -- I thought they'd lost a disk, which would make the Shatter appeal make more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, okay -- I thought they'd lost a disk, which would make the Shatter appeal make more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, if they thought half the weapon was down the appeal makes a ton of sense. From what I remember talking to the team they'd occasionally run into an issue where after a hit the esc would lose sync with the motor (essentially, motor is stopped, esc thinks it isn't) and they'd have to throttle all the way down to get it sync'd back up. Not sure if that's specifically the issue in this fight but stuff like that can be why a weapon looks dead for a bit then comes back.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MikeNCR posted:

an issue where after a hit the esc would lose sync with the motor (essentially, motor is stopped, esc thinks it isn't) and they'd have to throttle all the way down to get it sync'd back up.

i think I'm having a similar issue with the serpentine belt in my hyundai

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
hmmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dlfeQudLOU&t=76s

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh so these guys just hate each other, that makes sense now. Two dads sharpening their childrens fangs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TomR posted:

Maybe even the teams competing don't understand the judging matrix! :v:

I think this season they've done a fantastic job explaining and restating the rules throughout the process. It's probably the best one ever from a "making sure you know how this works" perspective.

Lots of good upgrades like that versus previous seasons. The guest commentators are fun, hosts are not afraid to say NHRL on camera, the appeals system is a good idea, the floor seems more consistent, damage to the BattleBots sign seems more frequent. Feels like they've had more "let's check the damage" post-fight snippets in the tent although I could happily dig into much more of that. Four fights, pre-revealed cards, and guest novelty designs are also quality additions to the recipe.

The little team skits like with PIZZA are also fun!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Chronojam posted:

I think this season they've done a fantastic job explaining and restating the rules throughout the process. It's probably the best one ever from a "making sure you know how this works" perspective.

Lots of good upgrades like that versus previous seasons. The guest commentators are fun, hosts are not afraid to say NHRL on camera, the appeals system is a good idea, the floor seems more consistent, damage to the BattleBots sign seems more frequent. Feels like they've had more "let's check the damage" post-fight snippets in the tent although I could happily dig into much more of that. Four fights, pre-revealed cards, and guest novelty designs are also quality additions to the recipe.

The little team skits like with PIZZA are also fun!

I agree. BattleBots the TV show is doing a great job being BattleBots the sport. They still like to stir some drama, but at least with the appeals they have been very restrained, especially when they just mention an appeal happened and give the results. Showing the score cards more often is nice too.

I'm really enjoying this season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, I think this helps tone down the drama a bit, which is good. Makes it clear the judges are not just going "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think X bot had a good fight I'll vote for them over Y bot"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oHrZri3BI

This was a fun watch

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well with the break from Battlebots. Saturday March 18th is the next NHRL event. They are messing with the format a bit again.

There is now a 2 round qualifier into the single elimination tournament. The top seeded bots only have to play in the 2nd round of the qualifiers and a guarantee into the tournament bracket. And the other bots have to win at least 1 of the 2 fights to get into the tournament bracket.

This event there looks to be 18 - 30lb bots, 29 - 12lb, & 163 - 3lb bots competing.

You can see the brackets and rules here - https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/March_18th_2023

The fights start up at 9AM EST. With the single elimination, the event was done before midnight in January, but not sure how long it will go with the 2 fight qualifiers and more bots.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The appeal system is good, but I don't like teams appealing on camera moments after the fight. Emotions are running high at that point and it just feels like a recipe for bad blood between the two teams.

I'd much rather if appeals were put in like twenty minutes after the fight, once both teams have gone back to the pits and had a bit of time to think the match over.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They should have a big red button which says APPEAL ALARM between the two teams when they do the post-match interviews so the losing team can smack the button and set off sirens and flashing lights, make a real show of it

Anything would be better than having the team captain get all redfaced and stammer about it awkwardly

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Malice / Valkyrie appeal was pretty likely the actual final appeal decision comes from back in the pits.

But they interview both teams right after the fight / decision. Usually only show the winner, but most likely both teams give the post fight interview.

It is pretty awkward and maybe they could just skip showing the interviews when it's clear a team is going to appeal the decision.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah this is neat. It makes me appreciate Kenny and Chris a lot more to see a fight called where the announcer is just going "Whoa!!!" instead of actually calling it. (Don't tell me if Kenny and Chris are inserting tons of post-fight ADR to improve the commentary.)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Is this show on a mid-season break right now? It didn’t program on my dvr and I don’t see it listed, was wondering

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
yes, two weeks off

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DuhSal posted:

Is this show on a mid-season break right now? It didn’t program on my dvr and I don’t see it listed, was wondering

There's a break, obviously didn't want to go up against march madness...

But you can watch NHRL all day tomorrow to make up for it :lol:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DuhSal posted:

March Madness baby

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Ooh right, forgot about the madness. Thanks

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
As a Brit that doesn't follow sport I had to google "March Madness" because I had no idea what it was.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here is the NHRL stream for the day. Said they sold 1,000 tickets to fans for the event. Pretty sure they had a delay getting started this morning (I didn't get up that early) so probably going to be streaming pretty late tonight with 200 bots.

There is also now 8 cages for combat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTbCkwBmD4

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 18, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

As a Brit that doesn't follow sport I had to google "March Madness" because I had no idea what it was.

It's two weeks in March where you're mad about the schedule being interrupted

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Interesting tidbit dropped from Ricky Williams at the NHRL event. The Battlebots Vegas show bots don't have the 250lb limit. I think he said Mammoth was in the ~315lb range to be more durable / repairable. And also the other teams are also over 250lb.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Interesting tidbit dropped from Ricky Williams at the NHRL event. The Battlebots Vegas show bots don't have the 250lb limit. I think he said Mammoth was in the ~315lb range to be more durable / repairable. And also the other teams are also over 250lb.

Bring Chomp to Destruct-a-thon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Giving Mammoth extra weight for an exhibition show feels like a no-brainer. Every match makes it obvious how thin that 250 pounds is spread over the frame.