Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

the difference being that any sense of hope for canucks last year was built on a foundation of lies

Ah yes because the Canucks barely missing the playoffs after exemplary seasons from Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Bo Horvat and JT Miller is wildly different from the Sabres barely missing the playoffs after exemplary seasons from Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch, Rasmus Dahlin and Dylan Cozens.

Huggybear posted:

wait are you being sarcastic? or is there actual ~*hope*~

Hope is a bit much, but I said at the time and maintain it was the right decision to re-sign Kuzmenko rather than dump an obviously highly talented player for a middling return because of... well I'm not even sure what people's arguments for it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dougie Deals strikes again

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm happy for Blais. He was a lump of poo poo here and Tank has been awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I love Tarasenko but this is a hilarious stat (and obviously means nothing with such a small sample size).

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Now lets do Beauvillier for Horvat

Anthony Beauvillier - 18gp 7g 9a 16pt
Bo Horvat - 18gp 5g 4a 9pt

:smithicide:

That said Beauvillier was useless all season with the isles.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kill me now posted:

Now lets do Beauvillier for Horvat

Anthony Beauvillier - 18gp 7g 9a 16pt
Bo Horvat - 18gp 5g 4a 9pt

:smithicide:

That said Beauvillier was useless all season with the isles.

Horvat is worrying but I wouldn't read anything into what Beauvillier has done. He's on a line with Pettersson and Kuzmenko who are two of the top 5 hottest players on earth right now. He's been largely invisible but keeps putting up points because his linemates are shooting like 40% right now.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Islanders land is where offense goes to die.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ThinkTank posted:

Horvat is worrying but I wouldn't read anything into what Beauvillier has done. He's on a line with Pettersson and Kuzmenko who are two of the top 5 hottest players on earth right now. He's been largely invisible but keeps putting up points because his linemates are shooting like 40% right now.

I'm not actually worried too much about Horvat. Barzal being out probably hurts his potential since he's been playing with Lee and a random 3rd liner of late. He still looks dangerous most of the time and his ability to actually win faceoffs alone has been worth the trade.

Beauvillier has always been a bit of a passenger and its not surprising that jumping from a 3rd line roll to 1st line has changed his point production.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

They had just secured their playoff spot the game before so I imagine they were 95% checked out.

Gotta lose sometimes, and if you only do it against trash tier teams then you’re safe for the playoffs. Or something.

Ullmark just had a bad game, immediately gave up something every time Boston tied it up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Ah yes because the Canucks barely missing the playoffs after exemplary seasons from Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Bo Horvat and JT Miller is wildly different from the Sabres barely missing the playoffs after exemplary seasons from Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch, Rasmus Dahlin and Dylan Cozens.

Probably a reasonable difference when Buffalo has a top 5-10 prospect pool and Vancouver has a system that ranks with contenders who have been trading their first round pick away for 6 years.

I would agree that Buffalo's 5v5 play remains concerning though. They're still very much a team that deserves to be where they're at.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 18, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
On a per 60 basis Anthony Beauvillier jumped from 1.5 point per to 2.4 at 5v5 and 1.6 to 2.9 in all situations. The 13.4 5v5 on ice shooting is really high as is the personal 16%. Horvat has done the opposite and it's v funny.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

you're right it is wildly different when you consider the contract situations and ages of those 8 players combined with the salary caps, supporting casts, and prospect pools of both teams, im glad you agree

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

you're right it is wildly different when you consider the contract situations and ages of those 8 players combined with the salary caps, supporting casts, and prospect pools of both teams, im glad you agree

I'm not comparing the Canucks to the Sabres, just using their season last year as a fair warning for overly excited Sabres fans. There's not a great deal of difference between the two teams from a core perspective.

2021-22 Canucks - 40-30-12 (.561 P%)
Hughes - 21 - $7.85M until 2026
Horvat - 25 (traded) - $8.5M until 2031
Miller - 28 - $8m until 2029
Pettersson - 22 - $7.35M until 2024

vs.

2022-23 Sabres - 33-29-6 (.529 P%)
Thompson - 25 - $7.1M until 2030
Tuch - 26 - $4.75M until 2024
Dahlin - 22 - $6M until 2024
Cozens - 21 - $7.1M until 2030

Age wise those groups are almost identical, Canucks were on average slightly older (24 vs. 23.5) but the difference was effectively insignificant.

Yes the Sabres have the better cap structure and a far better prospect pool, but I wouldn't start thinking the Sabres were out of the woods yet. They have some major contracts coming in Dahlin and (likely) Power and still have to find a goalie. Not to mention most of a bottom six and about three defencemen just like the Canucks last year.

I would certainly take the Sabres' position over the Canucks right now, but both teams have been lousy for a decade. The Sabres are doing exactly what the Canucks have done twice in that time: got overinflated senses of their roster strength thanks to some unsustainable production from guys having career seasons all at once. They need one hell of a summer where they don't get caught in the "hell yeah the rebuild is over!" mindset and blow their cap space on more useless vets.

It's easy to get excited by one fun stretch after so many listless limps to the bottom of the standings, but the Sabres are far from a finished product. They're several core pieces away still (most notably in net - I'm figuring Levi is 2-4 years away here) and forgive me if I'm not convinced by Jeff Skinner seemingly having discovered the fountain of youth.

Can the Sabres be a regular playoff team for the next 4-6 years? Yes. Do I think they're close to that today? No, not at all.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

drat dude let the hockey fans be mildly happy. This thread is such a doom scroll dear lord.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Agreed, and that is also an unnecessarily dooming post about Buffalo, considering how teams can experience huge year-to-year turnarounds in today's NHL, where there is lots of parity and teams can re-tool into being a contender.

Buffalo has an excellent young offensive core and a good prospect pool, they could easily make some off-season adds and be a real threat as early as next season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

drat dude let the hockey fans be mildly happy. This thread is such a doom scroll dear lord.

The suddenly poised to break out Sabres have a .529 P% aka an 87 point pace. I don't think it's doom posting to be confused why people are talking like they're due for a huge breakout next year given they're in a the toughest division in the sport.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

The suddenly poised to break out Sabres have a .529 P% aka an 87 point pace. I don't think it's doom posting to be confused why people are talking like they're due for a huge breakout next year given they're in a the toughest division in the sport.

I appreciate tempered rationality, but I think two things are missing from your analysis.

1. Think about where the Sabres were last year and how big a jump they made this year. They have one of the best offenses in the league, and multiple young players broke out into becoming stars (Tage, Dahlin became elite, and Cozens/Tuch became stars). You can't fathom why fans are considering them a new breakout team on the block?

2. Year over year, things can change in hockey. Those wild card spots in the East are wide open next season as far as I am concerned, and also, you never know. Between possible injuries to star players from other teams to all the other countless what ifs "what if Levi makes an immediate impact / what if Buffalo adds a star defenseman in the off-season / what if some of their other prospects have impact break-outs next year / what if Bergeron and Krejci retire and Taylor Hall continues to be plagued with injuries and the Bruins drop hard next year". So much can happen year to year.

Buffalo is clearly on the upswing, they're young, they can score, Dahlin is an elite defenseman, and they have probably the best goalie prospect in the league turning pro. They should not be penciled in to be a powerhouse, but it's perfectly reasonable to be excited about their chances to be contenders pretty soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Buffalo will blow it somehow because they stuck and that’s what they do.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Buffalo is clearly on the upswing, they're young, they can score, Dahlin is an elite defenseman, and they have probably the best goalie prospect in the league turning pro. They should not be penciled in to be a powerhouse, but it's perfectly reasonable to be excited about their chances to be contenders pretty soon.

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1295122479413944323?s=20

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
people will call anything doom nowadays huh

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tbf it is a fun word to say

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That was instantly dumb in 2020, plus the Canucks did actual stuff to ruin their team like Myers/OEL/etc. Maybe the Sabres do that in the future but they haven't yet.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Buffalo will blow it somehow because they stuck and that’s what they do.

I thought that was the Islanders. :v:

I think its fine for Sabres fans to be optimistic. Maybe not Cup optimistic, but they went from years as the worst team in the league to a team that plays a high scoring and fun game that is potentially a consistent wild card team in a really tough division (Tampa and Boston have to age out at some point... right?), and that is great because weird poo poo happens in the playoffs all the time!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

They have $20m in cap space and hope for the future with their young stars. People will want to play there again.

I can't imagine anybody voluntarily diving into Vancouver's dumpster fire even if they had the cap space to make moves.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vegas made the Finals their first year. Anything can happen and few will be able to predict it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What mid-tier team do people expect to be much better in the next 1-2 years?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What mid-tier team do people expect to be much better in the next 1-2 years?

Edmontahahahahaha

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1637183063900983297

Ah, I see

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus asks me to love everyone, except if youre gay, sorry, I'll pray for u....

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"I have no hate in my heart for anyone and treat everyone with respect*".

*Offer not valid for LGBTQ+ people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Bible isn't supposed to be the highest authority. It says that in the Bible.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Not surprising.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
suddenly much happier the leafs collapsed in 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Amazing how all these players suddenly have strict religious beliefs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Kings and the Wild, given their prospect pools, solid play this year, and existing young talent are two teams I'd say could break out soon. They're both already playoff teams though so maybe that's not your definition.

If you're looking outside the playoffs Ottawa is probably the closest. Calgary/Florida could very well come right back next year if their veterans don't drop off too much.

e: Yeah Couture has been a big piece of poo poo for a while hasn't he? Didn't he say something else pretty gross a few years back

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

What a oval office

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

This kind of horseshit, while expected, is just so mind-numbing to me. Wear the drat jersey for 60 minutes so that you don't have to show your whole rear end to the media instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shyduck posted:

Amazing how all these players suddenly have strict religious beliefs

Reimer actually was one of the full on culty ones before.

T-Bone posted:

e: Yeah Couture has been a big piece of poo poo for a while hasn't he? Didn't he say something else pretty gross a few years back

He made up a story where someone punched him for being pro Trump.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1637189439939018753

I wonder what Tatar is looking for in FA / if teams believe him in enough based on stuff like this to give him a big(ger) deal at age 32

He's been incredibly good though, possibly the best year of his career. I get the age 32+ dropoff thing but man the Devils have very few players that do what he does (pure possession/forecheck/defensive zone menace) and he will be difficult to replace next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

the nhl is rear end