Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Trip but they just tour children’s homes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

big scary monsters posted:

I thought that was Rob Brydon for a minute.

For a while I had my wife convinced that Rob Brydon was a Steve Coogan character, and any scene with them both in was filmed twice and superimposed with him talking to himself.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

The Trip but they just tour children’s homes

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody drawers off"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Whoever thought this was a good idea should immediately leave Showbiz and never return

lool coogan will have loved doing that

post 2015 alan makes jimmy savile references a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRg-bBy8iU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love this concept that the BBC can be independent of the government.

Who pay its salaries.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

I love this concept that the BBC can be independent of the government.

Who pay its salaries.

Not disputing the general point, but the government does not pay the salaries of BBC employees.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm sure parts of their received donations go to the BBC

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

They only pay the salaries of world service I think, but there's still probably some grants and such and they do control the license fee.

The bigger issue is appointing management.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 17, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the word for a broadcaster unaffiliated with the government is "a private broadcaster"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/darren_cullen/status/1636749804515500037

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy poo poo, ghosts appearing on coins now

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Thanks for reminding me to order an ACAB pin at last.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seems they've been told they can't meet with Forde. From the tone of the Jessica's reply to Dawn Butler it appears that it is the Labour Party that are preventing the meeting not Forde.

https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1636844332828225543?s=20

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

:ironicat:
Starmer argues SNP has seen “lurch to the right” during leadership election

quote:

The Labour leader argued that the SNP is “showing that they’re not truly a progressive party” or a “party of change”, adding: “They’re actually the party that’s run out of ideas, run out of hope.”

He said: “I do think there’s a real lurch to the right. I think it exposes the SNP as a party that hasn’t got a common thread running through it. Some of the stuff that’s been coming out in these debates is very much to the right.

“People would recoil from it, when it comes to discussions about family rights, abortion rights. It shows a party that’s completely disorientated without any core progressive value.”

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Just don't ask him about trans rights. Don't do it!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wesley Streeting, the great communicator, runs in from stage right with his Key Stage 2 biology textbook open to the willy pages.

"Boys have a peee nis! Look! Look!"

e: Speaking of genital obsessives with alt-right haircuts, I see the Brit terf tour in Australia is going well.
https://twitter.com/amy_sargeant_/status/1636959655888027648

Tell me with whom thou goest, And I’ll tell thee what thou doest.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 18, 2023

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

While he's obviously a massive hypocritical arse, he's technically not wrong about the SNP. it's not far-fetched to say Forbes might win the leadership race, and as I said earlier, the indy die-hards seem quite happy to throw progressive politics under the bus if they think it will advance the cause.

SNP chairman resigned today over misleading SNP membership numbers as well. Just a shambles all round.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the polling of the actual membership so far seems to still put Humza as the favourite, though that does come with some caveats as this sort of thing is hard to measure precisely. Forbes being anything other than a complete joke candidate is in itself pretty damning. the upside is that forbes and regan have burned so many bridges it's hard to imagine them and their supporters having much sway at all in the party if Yousaf does win. providing he does, of course

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

What on earth is this?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Nilbop posted:

What on earth is this?

terf rally in australia had some support from these reasonable citizens expressing their concerns

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's always kinda weird how Australia produces more nazis and more virulent communists than we do. I guess Murdoch owning 70% of the print media there contributes. There's a good youtuber to pay attention to who recently got firebombed for his anti-right-wing journalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1-1CNggQA

Dude made an enemy of the mafia and the state government such that the deputy premier formed an anti-terrorism task force specifically to focus on him.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Theyre not nazis, there was a suicide jumper on the building opposite and they were pointing at them. Check and mate "anti fascists"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nilbop posted:

What on earth is this?

They want to put an end to monarchy, by the looks of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
^^ :lol:

Angepain posted:

terf rally in australia had some support from these reasonable citizens expressing their concerns
Now claiming "we are just poor wee women who can't be expected to keep big nazi men away when hateful antifa refuse to help us. also the nazis were good."

https://twitter.com/rodcubkoguma/status/1637030993109606401

Drone_Fragger posted:

Theyre not nazis, there was a suicide jumper on the building opposite and they were pointing at them. Check and mate "anti fascists"
https://twitter.com/Critapocalypse/status/1637027380412776450

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Now claiming "we are just poor wee women who can't be expected to keep big nazi men away when hateful antifa refuse to help us. also the nazis were good."
Women are weak, and totally defenseless against people who were born with penises. I am a feminist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I wonder why antifa don't want to help me, a person who says that Nazis were good and all their victims were paedophiles. Must be sexism."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1636801940213334038

:allears:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If they want to get rid of pedos they could probably look at their nazi friends.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

bessantj posted:

If they want to get rid of pedos they could probably look at their nazi friends.

That's what the Nazis are doing, they're projecting onto the wall across the way.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

well from what I hear people certainly did try to remove the nazis, it was just that those people were on the pro-trans side and were stopped by a wall of police officers for some reason

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bear in mind this was 40 years ago now!

https://twitter.com/youngonesfan/status/1634261204062314496?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cat botherer posted:

Women are weak, and totally defenseless against people who were born with penises. I am a feminist.

You can also be either a woman and a feminist, or anti-fascist. There are just no women in antifa.

Or if there are some, it's peachy for them. They only have to deal with nazis, not violent trans rights activists. Nazis are junior varsity stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New brainworm just dropped
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1637035724628164608

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wow that dude really supports the nazis.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Young Ones got a Blu-ray release remastered with a 1080p picture recently and while it's still a little grainy in places it's night and day from the old fuzzy dvds or even vhs you might have watched before.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Young Ones got a Blu-ray release remastered with a 1080p picture recently and while it's still a little grainy in places it's night and day from the old fuzzy dvds or even vhs you might have watched before.

Never bothered with blu-ray, more than happy with my dvd collection as far as viewing quality goes and i'm not buying them all over again for a new format.

edit: got the Young Ones box set years ago, much fun. :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Blu Ray was weird because it kind of appeared, then never really took off, and then the average person just moved straight on to streaming video.

I used to collect physical copies of movies and I went back to DVD because I like lending people films they might not have seen* and literally nobody I know has a bluray player.

* and then complaining that it was a limited edition release when I don't get it back

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never bothered with blu-ray, more than happy with my dvd collection as far as viewing quality goes and i'm not buying them all over again for a new format.

edit: got the Young Ones box set years ago, much fun. :)

Christ, how small is your TV?

Blu-ray is like night and day vs DVD, especially on most modern 4K TVs

Edit: I've got a fairly big DVD collection too, but I've been pretty content buying new stuff on blu ray and gradually replacing absolute classic stuff too (usually when I get an urge to watch it)

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm old - I watched them on 'live' tv. I even went to see them (well not as The Young Ones) live at Raymond's Revue Bar in Soho.

For some reason the doormen were able to identify who was there for the striptease club and who was there for the comedy theatre.

All those 'alternative' comedians were there including the now disgraced Chris Langham who was hilarious and I loved & still remember his owl impression.
French & Saunders wittering on about an orb - I didn't find them very funny and never have since.

Re VHS boxed sets - I spent over £350 on 6 series of Xena Warrior Princess on VHS back in the 90s . I spent hours playing them on a vhs player and recording them on to my computer before I moved abroad and ended up giving them away on Freecycle about 15 years ago. I swore never again to buy a boxed set of anything. I don't even have a DVD player anymore let alone a VHS.

Oh and The Water Margin. Had all those on VHS too - '1000 years ago in Ancient China the souls of 9 dozen heroes were reborn' etc. I tried torrenting them again about 15 years ago and it kept getting stuck at 99.8%.

Come to think of it so much of my teens / twenties were spent watching rebels fight dodgy governments LOL maybe it informed my politics. Even at primary school I was addicted to The Flashing Blade. (It's right to fight for what you want and all that you believe).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

French & Saunders wittering on about an orb - I didn't find them very funny and never have since.