Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I walked it back, and I wholeheartedly apologize to all amputees I may have offended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I walked it back

Dude...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I walked it back, and I wholeheartedly apologize to all amputees I may have offended

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m not even going to pretend I did that on purpose.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's alright man, we're just pulling your leg :cheers:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah my apologies it looks like we got off on the wrong foot. I didn't mean to trip you up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will take this important lesson in stride and I vow to do better, and I hope this thread can keep on rolling.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Where exactly was this walk back? Claiming you mispoke isn’t the same thing if everything around the text is still in favor of the argument.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Where exactly was this walk back? Claiming you mispoke isn’t the same thing if everything around the text is still in favor of the argument.

I apologized twice, do you have any plans of posting about the Alien movies anytime soon or do you want to keep re-litigating something I’ve acknowledged I was wrong on and we’ve moved on from?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love this thread and simply scroll past bad posts, works like a charm.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Baronjutter posted:

I love this thread and simply scroll past bad posts, works like a charm.

gently caress yes.

Speaking of Alien, a couple of pages ago someone posted about how originally in the script they were going to find a pyramid separate from the ship and that's where the eggs would be. I knew about that, but I had never connected how what they had in mind for the pyramid interior probably inspired the inside of the derelict ship and how cavernous and loving awesome it looks and that sort of crypt-like corridor they go through as they enter it. So loving awesome.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

I apologized twice, do you have any plans of posting about the Alien movies anytime soon or do you want to keep re-litigating something I’ve acknowledged I was wrong on and we’ve moved on from?

Well, the offensive thing about your post was not actually your explicit statement but the fact that that statement was a logical outgrowth of attempting to restrict which specific bodily features or capabilities pushed someone over the threshold of human(oid). Insofar as you try to draw that line anywhere, you are going to be dehumanizing real people, whether they're bedridden or reliant on prosthetics to move around or whatever else. There's a difference between "oops, I didn't mean for you to notice my saying that" and "oops, I was actually wrong". Otherwise you're actually standing firmly behind the argument that someone who uses a wheelchair is only human because you can dump them out of their wheelchair and force them to crawl.

If the rule you followed led you here, of what use was the rule?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Well, the offensive thing about your post was not actually your explicit statement but the fact that that statement was a logical outgrowth of attempting to restrict which specific bodily features or capabilities pushed someone over the threshold of human(oid). Insofar as you try to draw that line anywhere, you are going to be dehumanizing real people, whether they're bedridden or reliant on prosthetics to move around or whatever else. There's a difference between "oops, I didn't mean for you to notice my saying that" and "oops, I was actually wrong". Otherwise you're actually standing firmly behind the argument that someone who uses a wheelchair is only human because you can dump them out of their wheelchair and force them to crawl.

If the rule you followed led you here, of what use was the rule?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Walking it back!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neo Rasa posted:

gently caress yes.

Speaking of Alien, a couple of pages ago someone posted about how originally in the script they were going to find a pyramid separate from the ship and that's where the eggs would be. I knew about that, but I had never connected how what they had in mind for the pyramid interior probably inspired the inside of the derelict ship and how cavernous and loving awesome it looks and that sort of crypt-like corridor they go through as they enter it. So loving awesome.

I think the plan was that the ship was like docked on top of the pyramid or something? That's why the egg chamber is impossibly deep within the ship, it's not actually in the ship, its under the ship??

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Right, see, you actually aren't walking it back. You're simply acknowledging that you spoke too plainly.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Any good actual play podcasts of the rpg out there?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

This is the concept art for the original egg silo that was going to be in Alien, before they merged it with the derelict ship. I like that they still kept the freaky unnatural landscape though and Cameron even adapted the same visual style for the alien secretions that form the nest in Aliens:

Here's a fun comparison highlighting how they revisited some of Giger's work for Jodorowsky's Dune when making Prometheus as well:

Here's another piece Giger created for Jodorowsky's Dune as well, with these steps very closely resembling the exterior of the egg silo for Alien:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"I want my building to look like a massive fat dude holding a huge gun"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I think the plan was that the ship was like docked on top of the pyramid or something? That's why the egg chamber is impossibly deep within the ship, it's not actually in the ship, its under the ship??

That makes sense too with how in the movie it's like they go to it but then spelunk down quite a ways. I always just took it as the ship itself being insanely big like the Jockey itself.

Baronjutter posted:

The emperor's palace in his Dune was going to be a made of gold and shaped like the emperor's face too so I think that was going to be a motif throughout.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 18, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Good question, there is a discord for the RPG though, I’ll noodle around and see if anyone has recommendations.

Baronjutter posted:

The plan was that they’d be separate, unrelated things some distance from each other. Although you’re right that the Derelict’s “hold” (if that’s what it is) seems to extend well beyond the underside of the ship itself.

I‘ve read interpretations about the idea of perhaps “impossible” geometry within the ship to play into the Lovecraftian themes. It’s a neat idea but I’m not married to it.

The pyramid (I think?) was going to have hieroglyphs depicting the (bipedal) Space Jockey’s fate step-by-step. The artwork is neat but it’s super-on-the-nose and spells out exactly what’s going to happen to Kane before it does, lessening the impact. I much prefer the movie’s subtle, indirect storytelling.

Neo Rasa posted:

That makes sense too with how in the movie it's like they go to it but then spelunk down quite a ways. I always just took it as the ship itself being insanely big like the Jockey itself.

The problem is that when you compare the base of the ship where they enter to how far Kane is lowered down, the only explanation is that either the hold is underground compared to the base of the ship, or the characters walked way up an incline to get to the Jockey before Kane dropped down (entirely possible and we just don’t see it, although Alien Isolation chooses not to do this).

Or its, like, bigger on the inside than on the outside. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 18, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Good question, there is a discord for the RPG though, I’ll noodle around and see if anyone has recommendations.

The plan was that they’d be separate, unrelated things some distance from each other. Although you’re right that the Derelict’s “hold” (if that’s what it is) seems to extend well beyond the underside of the ship itself.

I‘ve read interpretations about the idea of perhaps “impossible” geometry within the ship to play into the Lovecraftian themes. It’s a neat idea but I’m not married to it.

The pyramid (I think?) was going to have hieroglyphs depicting the (bipedal) Space Jockey’s fate step-by-step. The artwork is neat but it’s super-on-the-nose and spells out exactly what’s going to happen to Kane before it does, lessening the impact. I much prefer the movie’s subtle, indirect storytelling.

This I do remember, they were going to find a relief of this piece when they entered the pyramid.

I had never thought of it as having impossible geometry before, lmao finally a fan explanation for why the map guy Fifeld gets lost in Prometheus :D

Thinking about it now it just leading to some massive underground space "makes more sense" but I prefer that the ship itself is just this huge thing that doesn't functionally conform what we think of as a spaceship. I really do like how it contrasts with the Nostromo's cramped construction because it really does make it feel so alien ( :haw: ) from what we're used to.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 18, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SUNKOS posted:

Here's a fun comparison highlighting how they revisited some of Giger's work for Jodorowsky's Dune when making Prometheus as well:

This is all I can think of looking at that bottom-right image:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

That was for the Harkonnen world so he pretty much nailed the intended aesthetic :haw:

Timby posted:

This is all I can think of looking at that bottom-right image:

I see that's from X-Men but the art style looks a lot like the old animated Aeon Flux series on MTV. Did the artist from that work on X-Men?! :psyduck:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Found a Reddit thread with a bunch of links, can’t vouch for their quality but it’s a place to start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alienrpg/comments/ufzl50/alien_rpg_actual_play_podcast/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

This is the concept art for the original egg silo that was going to be in Alien, before they merged it with the derelict ship. I like that they still kept the freaky unnatural landscape though and Cameron even adapted the same visual style for the alien secretions that form the nest in Aliens:

Here's another piece Giger created for Jodorowsky's Dune as well, with these steps very closely resembling the exterior of the egg silo for Alien:

I thought the thread consensus was ships and building can’t be humanoid

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit— if I remember right that specific shot is removed from the director’s cut, which is kind of a shame because it’s a good shot.

Speaking of Jones:

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1303761841148002309?s=46&t=AO94-Nyeqyc_3nMDXCDtuA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Edit— if I remember right that specific shot is removed from the director’s cut, which is kind of a shame because it’s a good shot.

Speaking of Jones:

https://twitter.com/soozuk/status/1303761841148002309?s=46&t=AO94-Nyeqyc_3nMDXCDtuA

It is removed yeah, such a great shot. But I understand how similar to them not having Shaw actually grapple with the engineer with that overdesigned fire axe, keeping that shot would weaken the Alien because between that and the part where it swats the carrier and runs off towards the end it would make it absolutely undeniable that xenomorphs are canonically scared shitless of cats I mean why else would it run off so fast? :D

EDIT: It's not as good as what's in any released version of the movie of course, but I really like this fan made clip that just puts together every bit of Brett being taken by the Alien just to have all the stuff in one place for reference. There's a couple of extremely cool shots here I'm not as familiar with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eF_W_NSWk

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xenomrph posted:

Found a Reddit thread with a bunch of links, can’t vouch for their quality but it’s a place to start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alienrpg/comments/ufzl50/alien_rpg_actual_play_podcast/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Cheers. I’ll see what’s good and report back

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

It is removed yeah, such a great shot. But I understand how similar to them not having Shaw actually grapple with the engineer with that overdesigned fire axe, keeping that shot would weaken the Alien because between that and the part where it swats the carrier and runs off towards the end it would make it absolutely undeniable that xenomorphs are canonically scared shitless of cats I mean why else would it run off so fast? :D
Killers recognize killers. :ninja:

Neo Rasa posted:

EDIT: It's not as good as what's in any released version of the movie of course, but I really like this fan made clip that just puts together every bit of Brett being taken by the Alien just to have all the stuff in one place for reference. There's a couple of extremely cool shots here I'm not as familiar with:

I like how the left wall at 1:38 has a sort of bumpy ribbing motif similar to the Derelict and Giger’s artwork, I wonder if that was intentional.

I agree that it’s a very good thing they trimmed the scene down to what we got (although other than removing the Jones shot, I don’t remember what else was changed between the director’s cut and the theatrical cut).

Having the Alien hanging unseen in the chains is a cool detail for people watching the movie a second time, but having it in plain sight (complete with a music cue!) before it drops down hurts the scene. Likewise, having the Alien linger as long as it does kind of hurts the impact because you get pretty good looks at the creature when “less is more”, and it kind of draws it out a little too much since you know it’s got hostile intent - if it had been handled it a bit more like the Neomorphs in Covenant where they’re *dangerous* but more inquisitive, it could have been a bit more interesting characterization of the Alien. Instead that extended scene kind of belabors the point, whereas the final cuts just get right to it and trim the fat.

Interesting that Brett starts bleeding the moment the Alien grabs him, in the final cuts of the movie it’s implied to be from the head-bite and that’s it.

I also like the inclusion of Parker and Ripley rushing in and finding the aftermath, with the blood raining down.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 18, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I love the blood raining down so much, I believe it's in the director's cut briefly.

I do think the director's cut did it best overall, there's a shot of the alien hanging but it's curled up and from above, like if you're seeing the movie for the first time it's technically a clear look at it but not too much.

The stuff in this clip is also interesting for the tale usage like with Lambert, IIRC in some early stuff says the tail stings and paralyzes the victim instead of just being another way to kill someone. And it's cool to see the neomorph-esque inquisitiveness, Scott talks about this a bit on the 2003 commentary for Alien of having the alien sort of checking everyone out/being intrigued by everyone but overall I'm glad it was cut.

I like the way the height of the alien is used a lot though in concept, but still glad it got cut. Like I like the way it doesn't even really hit the ground but kind of pivots over from where it's standing, good poo poo and effort.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cheers. I’ll see what’s good and report back

I haven't seen this specific one, but this DM/rotating group has some some cool ones for Death in Space and some other RPGs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5usWbcLmM

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

but could the mural be classified as humanoid

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Having the Alien hanging unseen in the chains is a cool detail for people watching the movie a second time, but having it in plain sight (complete with a music cue!) before it drops down hurts the scene.

I've always liked the shot without the music cue at 0:59. If you haven't seen the movie before/don't know what the Alien looks like, it just looks like some kind of odd machinery hanging up there. Agreed on the second hanging shot with the music cue being unnecessary though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I love the blood raining down so much, I believe it's in the director's cut briefly.

I do think the director's cut did it best overall, there's a shot of the alien hanging but it's curled up and from above, like if you're seeing the movie for the first time it's technically a clear look at it but not too much.

The stuff in this clip is also interesting for the tale usage like with Lambert, IIRC in some early stuff says the tail stings and paralyzes the victim instead of just being another way to kill someone.
I knew the tail shot for Lambert was taken from Brett’s death, but I think it works better with Lambert. With it going up between her legs and then her prolonged screams, there’s an implication that the Alien violated her somehow.

The stinger-tail thing is from ‘Aliens’, in fact that was going to be how Gorman got knocked out in the APC instead of getting concussed by some boxes.

The stinger-tail did make a return in the second AvP game though. I can’t recall if it’s in either of the tabletop RPGs but I can check later.

Interestingly the Leading Edge RPG came up with the idea that Aliens expel hive-resin from their dorsal tubes and that’s how they build their hives, and can also use them as “spinnerets” to create hive-spanning webs used for communication purposes or something like that. I don’t believe anything else has run with those ideas though.

I also liked the rain in Brett’s death scene, the intention being that the room is so cavernous that it has its own weather patterns. Indoor rain (in a spaceship no less) makes the scene even more memorable for how incongruous it all is.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 18, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ruddiger posted:

One notable thing here is that the mural very clearly depicts the "elephant's trunk" as a spacesuit's breathing tube.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Okay here's the validation you crave for your petty, inane, white noise forums drama bullshit that adds literally nothing to the thread aside from garbage that everyone has to scroll past. Yes, we all see you've got a stick up your rear end and are trying to stir up poo poo with Xeno for whatever reason but you can give it a break now.

Neo Rasa posted:

Thanks for sharing this! Obviously total overkill for the scene but that crucifix pose to descent and rising again is so good, even if excessive. Should rewatch Alien since I can't even remember how the original scene actually goes in comparison right now but it's nice to see all the shots for that scene compiled. I've always wondered how much of Alien 3 was still left on the cutting room floor even after they made the extended cut.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

One notable thing here is that the mural very clearly depicts the "elephant's trunk" as a spacesuit's breathing tube.

Giger’s original art for the Jockey also put a “dome” over its head.

Giger and Scott ultimately chose to do away with that stuff in favor of “it’s a biomechanoid creature” according to Giger’s diary, although in the introduction to the Prometheus art book Ridley Scott says, “but somebody called it the Space Jockey, and the assumption was that he was skeletal. Then I thought, ‘Well, what happens if he’s not a skeleton?’”

Interestingly the Jockey’s “signal” has been shut off three times in three different ways - in the script (and the novelization and graphic novel adaptation if I remember right) Dallas shuts it off when they find the Jockey, James Cameron had it break down at some point between Alien and Aliens due to seismic activity (and the Derelict’s port side “arm” is visibly snapped downward and damaged in the director’s cut of Aliens), and in Alien Isolation a follow-up team that finds the Derelict shuts it off.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 18, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Interestingly the Jockey’s “signal” has been shut off three times in three different ways - in the script (and the novelization and graphic novel adaptation if I remember right) Dallas shuts it off when they find the Jockey, James Cameron had it break down at some point between Alien and Aliens due to seismic activity (and the Derelict’s port side “arm” is visibly snapped downward and damaged in the director’s cut of Aliens), and in Alien Isolation a follow-up team that finds the Derelict shuts it off.

Jockey more like Jigsaw with how many post mortem messages he got out lol

I did appreciate that Prometheus and Covenant made it more clear that there's just a lot of wild poo poo out there in general. I'm looking forward to the next film whenever that happens.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Jockey more like Jigsaw with how many post mortem messages he got out lol

I did appreciate that Prometheus and Covenant made it more clear that there's just a lot of wild poo poo out there in general. I'm looking forward to the next film whenever that happens.

Can’t imagine momentum picks up with the David series anytime soon, at least not while Ridley is likely to direct it. And without Scott, what’s the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

This is absolutely horrific. The animal grunts Brett is making. He is so paralyzed by fear he’s immobile, able to make only these primitive sounds, possibly about to hyperventilate.