Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I thought you had to install the truth social app to see his twoots but apparently not.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump

I personally like the automated twoots that seem to pop up on regular intervals asking for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Has anyone said what he’s getting charged with? If it’s some boring financial poo poo covered by a fine, I’ll be disappointed.

Stormy Daniels payoff stuff.

There's other indictments still working through the courts but this is one that that's wrapping up now.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The likeliest scenario in the case of an actual arrest warrant being issued is that he turns himself in and is immediately released on bond. Same thing happened to Rick Perry in Texas when he was arrested, who turned the PR in his favor (ultimately, the charges were dismissed):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/20/texas-governor-rick-perry-mugshot-indictment-rosemary-lehmberg

In any case, you gotta give the guy credit for being the most spectacular loving failure imaginable (go big or go home): two impeachments, a one-termer who lost control of all chambers of Congress, 1/6, multi-year social media bans, and now an actual criminal indictment.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If they get him they better take his loving passports.

E: damnit

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1637092261853896710?s=20

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 18, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Trump's not leaving the country geez 🙄

Is Trump living in Mar A Lago right now? If he gets indicted he will get extradited to NY? Does that mean cops from NY will have to go to NY to pick him up? I don't know how this stuff works. If so I wonder if that will cause any friction with the authorities in FL who I doubt will want to give him up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He’s just pre-emptively threatening to cause chaos if anyone moves against him. Dictator in exile poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

haveblue posted:

He’s just pre-emptively threatening to cause chaos if anyone moves against him. Dictator in exile poo poo

I think it's this and then when nothing happens he'll take credit for being the greatest whatever guy in all of history that no one has ever seen before and many people are saying this that and the other.

It's Donald Trump.

If he tells me he's being arrested on Tuesday by NYC cops I have to check to make sure Tuesday is an actual day of the week and that police exist in NYC.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If someone actually convinced him that he was facing actual consequences he would absolutely flee the country and go on a giant political persecution tour through non extradition countries.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Trump's not leaving the country geez 🙄

Is Trump living in Mar A Lago right now? If he gets indicted he will get extradited to NY? Does that mean cops from NY will have to go to NY to pick him up? I don't know how this stuff works. If so I wonder if that will cause any friction with the authorities in FL who I doubt will want to give him up.

reminder that the local town/city laws or whatever said that Donnie wasn't allowed to use Margo as a "residence" or as some sort of long term living thing, just a general catch all loop hole. but lol if theyre going to do anything to their orange sack of poo poo god.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cr0y posted:

I know this existed in the past but I really don't know how to search for it, can someone point me towards a decent list of accounts to follow that I can enable push notifications on for more of this breaking news type stuff?

Twitter is genuinely a poor medium for this sort of thing, and the specific accounts that are useful for following breaking news will depend on the subject and the individual reporter in question. Almost all of the generalized breaking news aggregator accounts posted here are right wing shitheels.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Don't see how Donnie wriggles outta THIS one!/Oh wait he wriggled free instantly" Mueller rules remain in effect until I see him frog-marched into a van, and I don't think I'll see it.

As others said, there's big odds that this is him just hogging a spotlight to reclaim some outsoder cred, or doubling down on claiming some incoming statement or probe will be a prison order. The US system is designed expertly to never really touch anyone past a certain level power/wealth, and donnie still has enpugh lawyers and clout to turn any real stab at him into a years-long morass until he either croaks or gets svaed by a 6-3 supreme court decision.

PS- wow, they walked it back in the time it took for me to post! I must be getting slow.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Even if he gets indicted don't expect him to end up in cuffs. Don't expect a perp walk. Maybe there will be a mug shot? I don't know how he will get around that. But I would be surprised if it gets publicly released. Don't expect anything to "humiliate" him. Hes a rich white man and former president there's going to be way too much bullshit "decorum" followed if he even gets indicted at all.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Don't expect anything to "humiliate" him.

Actually being indicted will definitely humiliate him. He’s already a pissy baby calling for revolution about it and it hasn’t even happened.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Actually being indicted will definitely humiliate him. He’s already a pissy baby calling for revolution about it and it hasn’t even happened.

:rolleyes:
Please.
This poo poo is just his brand now. He says it because when he does, his supporters light their tiki torches and call for the blood of the impure to spill while the other side jerks itself raw over the fantasy of him crying and making GBS threads himself in his big baby diaper.
Regardless, it's still serving the purpose of getting people to pay attention to him, and if people are paying attention to him, then he can find a way to leverage it into some form of grift and wring out another dollar from some poor rube somewhere.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
From the CNN article:

quote:

Trump's US Secret Service detail would deliver him to the Manhattan district attorney's Office for fingerprinting and then taking mugshots in offices of the district attorney's detective squad. As is customary in cases where a defendant is allowed to voluntarily surrender, after arrest processing, the former president would be brought directly to an arraignment before a judge where he would likely be released on his own recognizance.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I kinda don't want him in jail yet, I want him or Desantis to run as a spoiler third party due to petty primary infighting and tank each other.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you can still run a campaign from jail

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

the_steve posted:

Please.
This poo poo is just his brand now. He says it because when he does, his supporters light their tiki torches and call for the blood of the impure to spill while the other side jerks itself raw over the fantasy of him crying and making GBS threads himself in his big baby diaper.
Regardless, it's still serving the purpose of getting people to pay attention to him, and if people are paying attention to him, then he can find a way to leverage it into some form of grift and wring out another dollar from some poor rube somewhere.

I honestly agree. Barring the almost impossible chain of events that sees him being forced to actually face consequences from an indictment, this is basically all upside for him - it keeps his name in peoples' mouths and heads(during a time when DeSantis is trying desperately to become number one chud) and it allows him to rally the base to his defense(read: giving him shitloads of money and/or votes in order to help him defend himself against the deep state).

If the US legal system was actually willing to consistently punish the rich for their crimes it would be bad for him, but the system emphatically is not.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

the_steve posted:

the other side jerks itself raw over the fantasy of him crying and making GBS threads himself in his big baby diaper.

unless you are talking, not metaphorically, about Trump pooping in an actual diaper, he has been crying and making GBS threads himself uninterrupted for the past 2.5 years. i am not sure why being indicted would make him stop.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Forgive the :godwin: but Hitler did get arrested after the Beer Hall Putsch and that's when he wrote Mein Kampf

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Youremother posted:

Forgive the :godwin: but Hitler did get arrested after the Beer Hall Putsch and that's when he wrote Mein Kampf

We’ve seen Trump’s writings, and, well, he’s no Hitler in that regard

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

socialsecurity posted:

I kinda don't want him in jail yet, I want him or Desantis to run as a spoiler third party due to petty primary infighting and tank each other.

If Trump isn't running for whatever reason I am confident we will see many of his followers trying to organize write-in campaigns.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Looks like Reagan actually did sabotage the Carter campaign by meeting with the Iranians.

The NY Times posted:

It has been more than four decades, but Ben Barnes said he remembers it vividly. His longtime political mentor invited him on a mission to the Middle East. What Mr. Barnes said he did not realize until later was the real purpose of the mission: to sabotage the re-election campaign of the president of the United States.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.

His mentor was John B. Connally Jr., a titan of American politics and former Texas governor who had served three presidents and just lost his own bid for the White House. A former Democrat, Mr. Connally had sought the Republican nomination in 1980 only to be swamped by former Gov. Ronald Reagan of California. Now Mr. Connally resolved to help Mr. Reagan beat Mr. Carter and in the process, Mr. Barnes said, make his own case for becoming secretary of state or defense in a new administration.

What happened next Mr. Barnes has largely kept secret for nearly 43 years. Mr. Connally, he said, took him to one Middle Eastern capital after another that summer, meeting with a host of regional leaders to deliver a blunt message to be passed to Iran: Don’t release the hostages before the election. Mr. Reagan will win and give you a better deal.

Then shortly after returning home, Mr. Barnes said, Mr. Connally reported to William J. Casey, the chairman of Mr. Reagan’s campaign and later director of the Central Intelligence Agency, briefing him about the trip in an airport lounge.

Mr. Connally did not figure in those investigations. His involvement, as described by Mr. Barnes, adds a new understanding to what may have happened in that hard-fought, pivotal election year. With Mr. Carter now 98 and in hospice care, Mr. Barnes said he felt compelled to come forward to correct the record.

“History needs to know that this happened,” Mr. Barnes, who turns 85 next month, said in one of several interviews, his first with a news organization about the episode. “I think it’s so significant and I guess knowing that the end is near for President Carter put it on my mind more and more and more. I just feel like we’ve got to get it down some way.”

The whole article is pretty interesting (albeit fairly long). Well worth a read.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not this guy specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's been known for a long time that the Reagan people prolonged the crisis to hurt Carter's chances

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not this guy specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's been known for a long time that the Reagan people prolonged the crisis to hurt Carter's chances

My understanding was that it's long been suspected (I mean, their coincidental release on the first day of Reagan's administration was just a bit suspicious), but this is the first time we've gotten any real evidence / a confession

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VikingofRock posted:

My understanding was that it's long been suspected (I mean, their coincidental release on the first day of Reagan's administration was just a bit suspicious), but this is the first time we've gotten any real evidence / a confession

This was my understanding as well, much like we didn't have confirmation of Nixon loving around in Vietnam until recently as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the_steve posted:

Please.

I think it's called a fetish on the rest of the internet

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the arrest stuff is all gonna be just a way to drive fundraising right

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tatsuta Age posted:

the arrest stuff is all gonna be just a way to drive fundraising right

Partly that, partly a trial balloon to see if he can still cause a riot just by asking for one

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

Looks like Reagan actually did sabotage the Carter campaign by meeting with the Iranians.

The whole article is pretty interesting (albeit fairly long). Well worth a read.

This is behind a paywall. Does anyone have a way to get around that? I'm interested in how/if this changes the status quo which seems to be "we'll never know for sure if Reagan did it or not"

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is behind a paywall. Does anyone have a way to get around that? I'm interested in how/if this changes the status quo which seems to be "we'll never know for sure if Reagan did it or not"

When in doubt, archive.is is your best paywall workaround.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like it is going to happen, maybe not Tuesday, but sometime soon

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1637044295889833984

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

VikingofRock posted:

It was very obvious but below the iron barrier of how earlier-era conservatives handled deniability.

And it was a very expert practice that they honed with decades of "this policy is totally not intended to target black people"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

marshmonkey posted:

From the CNN article:

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump's US Secret Service detail would deliver him to the Manhattan district attorney's Office for fingerprinting and then taking mugshots in offices of the district attorney's detective squad. As is customary in cases where a defendant is allowed to voluntarily surrender, after arrest processing, the former president would be brought directly to an arraignment before a judge where he would likely be released on his own recognizance.

I'll believe this when I loving see it. And I do not expect to see it. Nor anything resembling it.

Nothing would make me happier than being wrong about this though so please, god, put me in my place.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GoutPatrol posted:

This was my understanding as well, much like we didn't have confirmation of Nixon loving around in Vietnam until recently as well.

Only if you just mean how Kissinger passed classified material to him which he then used to covertly get the South Vietnamese regime to block Johnson-era peace talks. Other Nixon era fuckery has long since been in the open; just as one instance, Hal Knight testified on the illegal Operation MENU bombings before Congress in 1972, and more stuff came out about Nixon's underhanded deeds during various Watergate hearings. Was how

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1637267106055028739

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Only if you just mean how Kissinger passed classified material to him which he then used to covertly get the South Vietnamese regime to block Johnson-era peace talks. Other Nixon era fuckery has long since been in the open; just as one instance, Hal Knight testified on the illegal Operation MENU bombings before Congress in 1972, and more stuff came out about Nixon's underhanded deeds during various Watergate hearings. Was how

Yes I was referring specifically to the sabotaged peace attempts.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Johnson knew what Nixon was doing at the time thanks to wire taps but decided to sit on it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

brugroffil posted:

Johnson knew what Nixon was doing at the time thanks to wire taps but decided to sit on it

Reportedly, they did not think they had the evidence that they could tie it all back to Nixon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/politics/nixon-tried-to-spoil-johnsons-vietnam-peace-talks-in-68-notes-show.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cr0y posted:

If they get him they better take his loving passports.

E: damnit

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1637092261853896710?s=20

Why are they so hung up on the leaks being illegal?