Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

I'm starting to believe this now, if they were going to nail him they would absolutely inform his attorneys first. The fact that he is flat out calling for his morons to do violence is not really surprising.

I think they usually ask people ahead of time to report for processing. Often coordinated though your attorney if you have one. I think they only go get you if you’re dangerous or unlikely to report.

Anyway, anyone else about to be indicted who started calling for rebellion and revolution with a credible chance it would be acted on would have 20 cars and the FBI HTR team there picking them up this afternoon and they’d be imprisoned until their court date.

So, regardless Trump still gets to be treated exceptionally.

Edit: it would be incredible if Trump hurf and bluffs for his private army to save him and no one shows up. Or, like five old fat white dudes in MAGA wear. At that point I might even begin to believe that his myth is ended and we might start to recover.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^That's also assuming Trump is telling the truth and actually knows something about an imminent arrest instead of just making poo poo up or parroting horseshit he gleaned from Qanon or what a drunken Gullani told him. And it could absolutely be just that loving stupid where that is the source of his information.

At this stage of the game, I think him being arrested will only solidify his base and fire them up (it's happening!) but someone should tell Donald that if he's actually tried, then the RATINGS will be record setting. That'd probably be enough to get him to turn himself in.

100% guarantee that if this happens, Trump at some point will reference the ratings he's getting.

gregday
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^That's also assuming Trump is telling the truth and actually knows something about an imminent arrest instead of just making poo poo up or parroting horseshit he gleaned from Qanon or what a drunken Gullani told him. And it could absolutely be just that loving stupid where that is the source of his information.

At this stage of the game, I think him being arrested will only solidify his base and fire them up (it's happening!) but someone should tell Donald that if he's actually tried, then the RATINGS will be record setting. That'd probably be enough to get him to turn himself in.

100% guarantee that if this happens, Trump at some point will reference the ratings he's getting.

“A perfect trial”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

gregday posted:

“A perfect trial”

The likes of which no one has ever seen in all of history. The greatest trial with ratings better than the OJ trial. In fact, I invented trials. No one had ever heard of a trial until I invented it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dr. Faustus posted:

All caps except for "Page 2:" is kinda funny.

Trumpy seems to believe his date with intake is next Tuesday. That might make sense if it's true the GJ sits Mondays and Wednesdays. I suppose Monday would be the vote to indict, then who knows if that really results in Trump turning himself in on Tuesday (if at all).

Thanks to the all caps rant and Trump's track record of just blurting everything out, I'm enjoying this regardless.

It would be even funnier if they just bumped it up to Monday now to catch everyone off guard.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

It would be even funnier if they just bumped it up to Monday now to catch everyone off guard.

Tuesday 12:01am

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
nm

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cr0y posted:

Tuesday 12:01am

Nah Wednesday at 2 AM. Fake ‘em out with Pacific time.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Madkal posted:

Has Trump ever mentioned Soros by name before? Feels like he is just falling down the same bullshit conspiracy crap he used to peddle.
I always felt Trump would say anything to appease his base because his narcissism needs their love so much but he was never a true believer himself, but mentioning Soros by name feels like a turn.

Yes, he has, many times before.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BiggerBoat posted:

"Three words:

LEGAL*
DEFENSE
FUND

*criminal

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s amazing how much right-wing screaming about Trump’s arrest is happening. It’s going to go the same way as the raid on Mar-A-Lago: immense screaming slowly turning into “oh, well, it does seem appropriate and maybe correct I certainly meant nothing by what I said and my calls for violent Revolution” as more and more comes out around the charges and the evidence.

Maybe we’ll get another chud bleeding to death in a corn field after assailing an FBI office in a completely different state.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

They need to arrest this moron and get him off the internet. There is already rumors about a "MAGA moat" of chuds surrounding maralago that I'm sure would be all too happy to get violent when law enforcement shows up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

cr0y posted:

They need to arrest this moron and get him off the internet. There is already rumors about a "MAGA moat" of chuds surrounding maralago that I'm sure would be all too happy to get violent when law enforcement shows up.

I'm pretty OK with another Waco if the CHUDs are involved. It would be entirely self-selected at that point and they all deserve it. Let them catch the pointy end of our law enforcement system for once.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've been seeing a lot of references to Mar-A-Lago and Waco when strangely enough Trumps rally this weekend (if he can make it) is in Waco.
Mainly because he is running out of cities that will support him, since there are cities where he had rallies for 2016 that he still hasn't paid yet.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

cr0y posted:

They need to arrest this moron and get him off the internet.

They don't need to do that actually, and they won't be doing that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, for NYC charges wouldn’t it be Florida state police on the hook to go pick him up?

It’s not a federal matter. It’s an agreement between the states.

Your move DeSantis.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can't the CIA just give him a heart attack or something

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

Rumors? If a tide of MAGAs were surging into Palm Beach and setting up armed fortifications around Mar-a-Lago, you wouldn't have to rely on rumors because that would absolutely make the news.

Online, pro-Trump internet forums are posting all sorts of things about how they're going to go and personally defend Daddy Trump from the feds. But in reality, local news says that "about 30 people" have shown up to wave pro-Trump flags.

So far, that crowd's a far cry from Jan 6th.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I’d bet money that those two guys in the middle work for someone’s government.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm pretty OK with another Waco if the CHUDs are involved. It would be entirely self-selected at that point and they all deserve it. Let them catch the pointy end of our law enforcement system for once.

i'd be pretty cool w/ a bunch of chuds eating teargas tbh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

I could live without it to be honest but I get where you're coming from. Jesus Christ this loving country, man

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If they stand there and wave flags and shout then whatever. I still believe in a free country.

If they interfere though then they should have the full treatment because it’s, at the least, obstruction of justice and likely multiple felonies depending on how far these nuts go.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Murgos posted:

I’d bet money that those two guys in the middle work for someone’s government.

This is Asia's version of dark tourism

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

So far, that crowd's a far cry from Jan 6th.

From this photo I could be convinced that they're celebrating his impending arrest.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The best case scenario (which is absolutely not happening just to be clear) is that Trump actually get “rescued” by his chud base and whisked away for his safety to some undisclosed location. Because remember: no one hates his base more than Trump himself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Didn't DeSantis also pass a law to make blocking roadways with protests illegal to shut down BLM protests? Gonna laugh if that is used against the MAGA idiots (provided they actually reach the critical mass to do something stupid, which is unlikely).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Didn't DeSantis also pass a law to make blocking roadways with protests illegal to shut down BLM protests? Gonna laugh if that is used against the MAGA idiots (provided they actually reach the critical mass to do something stupid, which is unlikely).
It'd also require the cops to apply the law fairly and equally, which is something we've seen them very much not do to chuds in the past.

But I'm with you, it'd be nice to see that garbage backfire for once.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I think any and all disturbances or violence would kick off after the arrest, not before.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BigglesSWE posted:

The best case scenario (which is absolutely not happening just to be clear) is that Trump actually get “rescued” by his chud base and whisked away for his safety to some undisclosed location. Because remember: no one hates his base more than Trump himself.

This requires a level of competence in planning and logistics not demonstrated to date by his supporters

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

PainterofCrap posted:

This requires a level of competence in planning and logistics not demonstrated to date by his supporters

I kind of picture it sort of as a 90’s stoner comedy where they just sort of bumble their way through a series of wacky circumstances against all odds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not surprisingly, Trump has filed a last-minute frivolous lawsuit to quash the Georgia grand jury inquiry:

BREAKING: Trump’s lawyers move to quash Ga. special grand jury report

quote:

Lawyers for former President Donald Trump on Monday moved to quash the final report of the special purpose grand jury that is recommending indictments for those who meddled with Georgia’s 2020 presidential election.

The court filing also seeks to prevent the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office from using any evidence derived from the special grand jury investigation, and it seeks to recuse the DA’s office from further pursuing the case.

“The whole world has watched the process of the (special purpose grand jury) unfold and what they have witnessed was a process that was confusing, flawed and, at times, unconstitutional,” said the 51-page filing, which includes 433 more pages of exhibits. “Given the scrutiny and gravity of the investigation and those individuals involved — namely, the movant President Donald J. Trump, this process should have been handled correctly, fairly and with deference to the law and the highest ethical standards.”

The motion requests that any evidence derived from the special grand jury report be “suppressed as unconstitutionally derived and any prosecuting body be prevented from its use.”

Trump’s lawyers are also asking for a hearing on the motion and that it be heard by Chief Superior Court Judge Ural Glanville or another Superior Court judge, not Judge Robert McBurney who presided over the special grand jury probe. McBurney, the filing argued, violated the rights of parties impacted by the investigation.

The motion takes aim at public comments made by special grand jury forewoman Emily Kohrs as well as five other grand jurors who recently sat down for an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.The five jurors spoke on the condition of not being named because of concerns about their safety and privacy

In a separate interview with the AJC, Kohrs said the final report recommends multiple people be indicted. “It’s not a short list,” she said.

One of the other jurors interviewed by The AJC said that when the full report come out, “it’s gonna be massive.”

None of the jurors who spoke to the media revealed who they had recommended be criminally charged in the probe.

The legal argument appears to be "it's not fair and I don't like it."

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 20, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Does constantly calling himself "President" in all legal filings grate on all the judges* like I'm assuming it does?

*Ignoring his pet howler monkey judges. Real judges only.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does constantly calling himself "President" in all legal filings grate on all the judges* like I'm assuming it does?

It's standard etiquette to refer to a person by the highest title they have attained. I doubt it bothers them at all.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

No, gently caress that poo poo. These judges need to stop even opening the motions, The entire strategy is delay delay delay delay.

The response needs to be an immediate "TLDR. Denied"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

No, gently caress that poo poo. These judges need to stop even opening the motions, The entire strategy is delay delay delay delay.

"You missed the filing date, kindly gently caress off"*

*not sure if that's a thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think all former presidents are referred to as President regardless.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Who do you guys follow on Twitter that usually breaks news about this stuff?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

Who do you guys follow on Twitter that usually breaks news about this stuff?

Marcy Wheeler @emptywheel

She's annoying and self-righteous sometimes but her info is airtight and her legal analysis is good, and she posts like 100 times a day

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

cr0y posted:

Yeah, that's not how you want any court to operate, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah, that's not how you want any court to operate, ever.

I feel awful for whichever judge has to read that 483 pages of nonsense