Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

guards are often the least tall players on the court, and are expected to have the ability shoot from distance since bigger players will often protect closer to the basket. guards must be able to get layups despite their size, but they are not expected to dunk.

traditionally, the point guard is tasked with bringing the ball up, and often doing a lot of dribbling, and distributing. this has gradually changed as larger players have gotten faster, more accurate from distance, and better at passing. the point guard will often take a few seconds at the start of a possession to call a play, or initiate a rehearsed series of player movement.

forwards are sized somewhere between centers and guards. many forwards are famous for shooting and scoring in what is called "the post" the area between the 3 point arc and the long sides of the painted area. (the paint is the rectangle between the free throw line and the basket.) forwards often cover a lot of ground very quickly, using their steps before and after a dribble to weave through defenders. forwards are also expected to dunk.

centers are the largest players on the court. centers often play inside the painted area, both in their defense and their shot selection, but they will also go out to the 3 point arc to screen. a screen is how you impede a defender from following your teammate while they are dribbling, except you can't be moving or sticking out your limbs while you screen.
if two players collide especially hard, one of them will be called for a foul and it depends on the context which one.

but any player can screen for a ball handler, and if the defender gets around the screen, then the player setting the screen can come in closer to the basket and attempt to receive a pass from the dribbling player driving towards the basket. this action is called a pick and roll and allows an offense to use the converging defenders' movement against the defense, either to pass to an open player or to take a more open shot.

if the offense misses the shot, players will attempt to catch the rebound. traditionally, centers who are taller will be expected to catch a ball bouncing off the rim and either tip it back for two points or grasp the ball to pass. but again, in the modern nba, all of these roles are often mixed and combined.

TDepressionEarl fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

at a base, advanced stats try to measure either wins someone contributes directly or how many more points are scored when they are on the court vs. off the court.

one of the big things that advanced stats did at their outset was adjust for pace of play. lets you've got two players, let's call them A and B, and for our purposes, everything is the same about them except their points per game. on average A scores 20 points a game and B scores 18 points a game while shooting the same percentage.

basic logic would say that A is a more valuable player, but if A's on the Warriors, who have the fastest pace of play, while B's on the Cavs who have the slowest, B could be considered more valuable because while they're scoring less, they have fewer opportunities.

this gets confounded because there's only so much an individual player can do to will a team to a win or to scoring more points than the other team. and conversely a bum is gonna look pretty good if they're surrounded by good players, so the whole purpose of advanced stats is to try to remove confounding variables and get at whether someone is actually good.

so it's a lot of looking at on-off numbers, basically does the team score more or less than their opponents when the player is on the court vs when they're riding the pine, and who they are playing with, then using a shitload of math to try to get signal out of the noise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

on off stats assume a player off the court does not influence the game which is wrong

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

only stat that matters is RINGZ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any versions of on/off that take both lineups into account

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

on off stats assume a player off the court does not influence the game which is wrong

Some players are exceptional cheerleaders or even powerful psychics

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

how else can you explain Udonis Haslem

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Vox Nihili posted:

tim duncan was famous for not even needing to say a word

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah exactly. that kind of stuff isn’t going to show up on an excel document.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the most important stat is dunks

the moneyball bullshit of the last 10 years strikes me as an attempt to be able to Solve another actually interesting problem with Computers and this is anathema to watching and enjoying a sports competition so you should be actively contemptful of it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol Ben Simmons got dropped by fired mutually agreed to separate from his agent. probably a good move for the agent since when his contract is up he'll be lucky to get the league minimum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dropped by Klutch??

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

and likewise some players are a vortex and make everyone around them want to die.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

dropped by Klutch??

a mutual separation that was totally mutual

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Klutch I guess not expecting the nets to give him a big contract extension next year

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He's gonna sign somewhere because GMs are dumb as stumps but honestly if you were a GM would you want to spend a roster spot on him, even at veteran's minimum?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no. I think he’ll just go to China

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It will be super funny when he still can't score in double digits.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Azathoth posted:

He's gonna sign somewhere because GMs are dumb as stumps but honestly if you were a GM would you want to spend a roster spot on him, even at veteran's minimum?

I think he'd be a fine bench piece, he'll get something above vet minimum.

The average 9th or 10th roster slot player is incredibly bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Azathoth posted:

lol Ben Simmons got dropped by fired mutually agreed to separate from his agent. probably a good move for the agent since when his contract is up he'll be lucky to get the league minimum

I remember during the Simmons fiasco Rich Paul was also trying to pull Maxey out of Philadelphia and told him to stop working with local charity orgs

wonder what happened to such a strong player-agent relationship

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

I think he'd be a fine bench piece, he'll get something above vet minimum.

The average 9th or 10th roster slot player is incredibly bad.

on court performance, sure, that's about right but those spots usually aren't filled up by guys with effort issues and piss poor attitudes

you're right though that someone's gonna give him the mid level exception because GMs are all gamblers and there's always someone making a series of increasingly long odds bets to try to save their job

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He'll be like Lonzo, play 1 game and then get injured for the rest of the season.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Kyrie and Maxi Kleber might have just saved the Mavs' season and doomed the Lakers'

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1636839662902824965

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

extremely cursed.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol at the mavs blowing a 20 point leader, and barely winning

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ant is in a walking boot and they're not saying for how long, gently caress this loving season

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Azathoth posted:

Ant is in a walking boot and they're not saying for how long, gently caress this loving season

heartbreaking poo poo with how electric the wolves were last playoffs, I wanted the wolves to crash into jokic first round with every ounce of my being

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

every nba player is made out of glass these days

another reason why the game was so good in the 90s ~_~

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the 90s when men were men and washed out of the league at 30

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I was trying to figure out why the Warriors looked so weird last night and it took me awhile to realize that Draymond was on suspension. Anyways, they are done, they are going to be in something like 10th place after this roadtrip.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the warriors are being hamstrung by how soft the game has become. back in the 2010s the refs weren't running a nanny state and you could kick guys in the balls

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

the warriors are being hamstrung by how soft the game has become. back in the 2010s the refs weren't running a nanny state and you could kick guys in the balls

hasn't stopped the grizzlies from staying in the top of the conference

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Fultz rules and the Magic are a fun team.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goddamn the sixers are fun to watch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't wait for the playoffs at this point..let's get serious.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That Shake Milton lob to Paul Reed made me very happy

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I dont think it means very much because different seasons and all that, but last year the Celtics were 26-9 in their first 35 games of the new year, and this year the Sixers are 27-8 over that same stretch. Found it interesting (mostly because the Celtics last year seemed so much more unbeatable than this Sixers team, but obviously I'm biased).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sadly, the sixers are good. it’s going to make the collapse more painful