Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GetDunked posted:

All I want is for them to drop the kingmaker module already!!

Last I heard was Q2 2023, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

Now try the premium paizo modules, they're even more amazing

I’ve got, and played in, the beginner box content. It’s fantastic, even though I managed to one shot the final boss when playing as Amiri (on a crit, with Magic Weapon buffed from the cleric - whoops!)

And I own some Abomination Vaults content from Humble Bundle but haven’t checked it out because I’m neither running nor wanting to spoil myself in case I manage to play in it before running it.

That said, the beginner box foundry content is fantastic. The extra touches like the ambient sounds and triggerable traps and walls are amazingly well done.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Last I heard was Q2 2023, right?

Correct.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It'll be a miracle if the Kingmaker foundry module is out by June to technically be Q2, I'm hoping for the end of the year at this point. The team isn't very big and they have to continue to release the new AP book every month in addition to trying to get Kingmaker done.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

M. Night Skymall posted:

It'll be a miracle if the Kingmaker foundry module is out by June to technically be Q2, I'm hoping for the end of the year at this point. The team isn't very big and they have to continue to release the new AP book every month in addition to trying to get Kingmaker done.

Paizo staff have said people will be "pleasantly surprised" (which as far as I'm concerned is still that it's just coming out 6/30 because I don't want to get let down) with when it is coming out, and the Kingmaker module is being done by Foundry themselves, not Sigil who do the other APs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Paizo staff have said people will be "pleasantly surprised" (which as far as I'm concerned is still that it's just coming out 6/30 because I don't want to get let down) with when it is coming out, and the Kingmaker module is being done by Foundry themselves, not Sigil who do the other APs.

I guess Paizo can say what they want, but they don't actually work on it. The people working on it sound like it's not going to make it whenever they discuss their progress. Anyway, who knows a lot can happen in a few months, probably just one new hire or something would make a huge difference.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

Now try the premium paizo modules, they're even more amazing

I recently got the Abomination Vaults foundry module, and yeah, its terrific. The detail in the maps and little macros they add to move items and create passageweays is just incredible. The plan for my group is to have a TV with the foundry module running while we all play in person just so they get to see how great it is as well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Zkoto posted:

I recently got the Abomination Vaults foundry module, and yeah, its terrific. The detail in the maps and little macros they add to move items and create passageweays is just incredible. The plan for my group is to have a TV with the foundry module running while we all play in person just so they get to see how great it is as well.

Agreed. I'm a player in an Foundry AV game and it really does look great compared to the Extinction Curse AP I ran a year or two ago. Integrated music and ambient sounds, lighting, artwork, all of it looks great. I THINK there might be journal entries that can be activated but either I'm wrong or my GM hasn't been using them (at least not yet, we're not far in).

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Does anyone here know where to get a good character sheet for vision impaired people? We have the starter set and one of my friends has to read her sheet through her phone.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Does anyone here know where to get a good character sheet for vision impaired people? We have the starter set and one of my friends has to read her sheet through her phone.

Not sure what sort of vision impairment support you’re looking for but I’ve heard great things about the Dyslexic Character Sheets; https://www.dyslexic-charactersheets.com/

(It the issue is screen reader compatibility, I’ve got no clue how these are for that though)

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Im looking for large text printable character sheets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The dyslexic sheets website has a large print option once you are designing how you want the sheet to look.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boxen posted:

Agreed. I'm a player in an Foundry AV game and it really does look great compared to the Extinction Curse AP I ran a year or two ago. Integrated music and ambient sounds, lighting, artwork, all of it looks great. I THINK there might be journal entries that can be activated but either I'm wrong or my GM hasn't been using them (at least not yet, we're not far in).

There are integrated journal entries, yes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My group is probably going to finish the Beginner Box mid-session tonight, and we're planning to roll right into Abomination Vaults. Does anyone know if I can have both APs open in Foundry at the same time? I'd just try it, but I don't want to risk screwing stuff up this close to the finish line and need to rebuild the world if it doesn't work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You should be able to just import AV in to your existing game, it'll just add everything you need in to a new folder for scenes, actors, etc.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

You should be able to just import AV in to your existing game, it'll just add everything you need in to a new folder for scenes, actors, etc.

After posting I realized I could just spin up a new world and test it myself without messing with the existing one. Worked just fine, so I'll go ahead and import that before the session tonight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just TPKed the party in the beginner box, AMA

they did it to themselves, they opened the door into the kobold warren while the mermaid statue was still ongoing, then chased one of the kobolds into the kobold leader's throne room. i had excellent luck rolling crits tonight though

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
We have an npc accompanying us for ours and she nearly got gotten by a kobold scout so that's fun. Here's some PTSD kid.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Arivia posted:

I just TPKed the party in the beginner box, AMA

they did it to themselves, they opened the door into the kobold warren while the mermaid statue was still ongoing, then chased one of the kobolds into the kobold leader's throne room. i had excellent luck rolling crits tonight though

My group very nearly did the same thing last night due to a long-standing tradition of noping out of any room featuring a big statue in the center. One player at the last second stumbled on to disabling the mechanisms, so he soloed the room while the others pulled back and I got unlucky rolls on the trap mechanics. After that they backtracked and got the two special abilities from the orbs, and then scored a nat 20 on the athletics check to kool-aid man through the tunneled-out wall.

They didn't have trouble with the kobolds but retreated from the wyrmling fight. First guy that climbed a mushroom to trigger it got taken down to single digit hp by the first frenzy attack, then used his flight power he got earlier on the next turn and the tail swipe react swatted him out of the air for a KO by falling damage.

Super impressed with the beginner box and the Foundry module, can't wait to dive in to Abomination Vaults.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Regarding the Beginner Box, what's the best way to retune the adventure for three level 1 players? Just cut back enemy groups by ~25% and give the Weak tag to singles? Alternately, would leveling the players up to 2 make them too strong?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mirage posted:

Regarding the Beginner Box, what's the best way to retune the adventure for three level 1 players? Just cut back enemy groups by ~25% and give the Weak tag to singles? Alternately, would leveling the players up to 2 make them too strong?

Levelling the players to 2 is fine for everything except the last two fights, where I’d make the big enemies Weak. It actually has you normally hit level 2 for those at that point is why.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mirage posted:

Depending on your players, starting them at 2 might be pretty overwhelming, since PF2e already throws so many choices at them so quickly. I'd probably err towards modifying the encounters a bit, either in the ways you say, or by making the enemies retreat sooner.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know that I found having an NPC ally or applying the weak tags went a long way when I only had three level ones in my game.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

plus remember it's dynamic. You can adjust the next encounter up, you can have "reinforcements" arrive if you've made things too weak, etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah rule of thumb is to tune the encounters down at first and have some backup monsters ready to come in to escalate the encounter if need be. In a worst-case you can always juice the HP blocks

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
A couple of questions about spells, in particular Calm Emotions.

The area of effect is a 10 foot burst, and it's a sustained spell. If a creature is hit in the initial cast and moves out of the area on its turn, does the sustain action keep the effect of the spell on the creature or is it the spell locked to the initial area?

Also, for the saving throw:
Success: Calming urges impose a –1 status penalty to the creature's attack rolls.
Failure: Any emotion effects that would affect the creature are suppressed and the creature can't use hostile actions. If the target is subject to hostility from any other creature, it ceases to be affected by calm emotions.
Critical Failure: As failure, but hostility doesn't end the effect.

If the creature succeeds the saving throw and is attacked, does it lose the -1 attack penalty? Under the failure it's explicit the spells stops affecting it once attacked, but it's not listed on the success description.

In general has anyone have success with Calm Emotions in their campaigns? It seems like a strong pick for a level 2 spell for my Bard. I see a lot of recommendations for Dispel Magic, but I haven't run into many casters in the Outlaws campaign so I wonder if something else would be a strong pick.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

A couple of questions about spells, in particular Calm Emotions.

The area of effect is a 10 foot burst, and it's a sustained spell. If a creature is hit in the initial cast and moves out of the area on its turn, does the sustain action keep the effect of the spell on the creature or is it the spell locked to the initial area?

Also, for the saving throw:
Success: Calming urges impose a –1 status penalty to the creature's attack rolls.
Failure: Any emotion effects that would affect the creature are suppressed and the creature can't use hostile actions. If the target is subject to hostility from any other creature, it ceases to be affected by calm emotions.
Critical Failure: As failure, but hostility doesn't end the effect.

If the creature succeeds the saving throw and is attacked, does it lose the -1 attack penalty? Under the failure it's explicit the spells stops affecting it once attacked, but it's not listed on the success description.

In general has anyone have success with Calm Emotions in their campaigns? It seems like a strong pick for a level 2 spell for my Bard. I see a lot of recommendations for Dispel Magic, but I haven't run into many casters in the Outlaws campaign so I wonder if something else would be a strong pick.

1I definitely think that the targets of the spell are the creatures hit by the initial burst and the sustain action keeps the effect active. Otherwise it would have explicit rules about leaving the area, and rules about what happens when a creature enters the area and ends their turn in the area, like Fire Seeds.
2) I'd rule the success effect as not ending on hostile actions, but I don't know if I'm missing some context about how success levels are structured.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think Dispel magic is such a slam dunk as your level 2 signature spell, but also no need to pick it right away or anything. Having a max level dispel magic on hand at all times is really nice later on. I used hideous laughter all the time when level 2 was my max slot on my bard. Great spell, stopping reactions even on a success can be very valuable against the kind of things you want to burn spell slots on. Managing sustain on a bard can be annoying though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

It's incredibly strong in any campaign where your GM doesn't send you up against too many solo bosses at your level+2 or more. I've used it 3 times in Strength of Thousands so far, and short-circuited every single encounter where I could (and the party's paladin, once). It's absolutely good enough to grab as a signature spell at 2nd level.

I think dispel magic becomes more important as you get to higher levels, but it's almost entirely campaign dependent. It'd be a good pick as a 4th level signature spell, probably.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I can't remember all that many situations in outlaws where dispel would come in very handy. I'm only 2/3 of the way through the whole AP, but in general enemies applying magic effects don't seem that common.

I think calm emotions would be FAR more useful. Even with as many mindless clockworks as there are in the outlaws campaign, there's more than enough living NPCs you'd be able to use it in to good effect.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Calm emotions would be amazing in Alkenstar. Keep in mind hostile actions from allies of the target can also end the effect.

Demoralize might work. An unarmed attack certainly works. At the very least it should eat up a fair number of actions.

Not everyone will figure this out (an occult check would let someone know this), but hot tempered enemies might do these things naturally.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 20, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Alkenstar spoilers for immediately after the art show:

Using your instrument as a spell focus to play awkward elevator muzak to calm everyone's emotions and completely stop the Captain America style elevator fight from even happening would be amazing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Keep in mind that it has the Incapacitate tag, though, so it's much harder than it actually seems to land the save without a big level gap between you and the targets.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The incapacitate tag is why I really like the flexible caster archetype. Sure, you lose a third of your spell slots, but when the big boss comes with a bunch of level+0 mooks (or even level+1 on odd levels) you get to just nope them all with something like calm emotions without needing to have prepared it in a heightened slot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

The incapacitate tag is why I really like the flexible caster archetype. Sure, you lose a third of your spell slots, but when the big boss comes with a bunch of level+0 mooks (or even level+1 on odd levels) you get to just nope them all with something like calm emotions without needing to have prepared it in a heightened slot.

This is the first time I've seen anyone advocate flexible casting. When I sat down to work out a cleric it looked really interesting for exactly that reason, having every spell a signature spell seems fantastic. I went with a life oracle instead, which is a lot of fun but I can't help but wonder how the cleric would have gone instead.

Does anyone else have experience with frequently maligned classes that ended up a lot of fun?

My last campaign had an armor invetor who took the mauler dedication to knock down enemies with power armor augmented athletics attacks and occasionally exploding in balls of lightning. It was way better than the naysayers online said it would be.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

My last campaign had an armor invetor who took the mauler dedication to knock down enemies with power armor augmented athletics attacks and occasionally exploding in balls of lightning. It was way better than the naysayers online said it would be.

There's more to a character being fun than having the biggest numbers.
Also, that does sound like a really fun time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
sometimes you just wanna wrastle mans and then spin them in many circles before yeeting them off in to the distance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you turn into a pest form and eat tiny creature amounts of food, do you remain full when you turn back to a medium sized creature???

Anyway, this is a cool video about how a +1 means more in pathfinder than 5e. Useful for DnD folks trying pathfinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhgCPQ9MGg

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So wait as a ranged magus should I make my dex 18 and Cha 16 at start :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Kitfox88 posted:

So wait as a ranged magus should I make my dex 18 and Cha 16 at start :ohdear: