Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If I didn't already have an RP3+ that would be pretty neat, but it being the exact same aside from the triggers and sliders puts a hamper on that pretty effectively. The price is still pretty right, but I wouldn't recommend it over an RP3+, especially now that you can get hall sticks for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would be very wary of buying a Retroid product that's the same guts in a new shell given their history.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I would be very wary of buying a Retroid product that's the same guts in a new shell given their history.

Yeah this is no joke right here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even people on Twitter who are usually the ultra positivity types are saying yeah that active cooling is 100% there because they're expecting to put a more powerful chip in it later.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How long did it take for the 3+ to come out after the 3 normal

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steam deck in Japan on sale is still more expensive than it is regular price in USD.

No OLED though so not in market anyway

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hatty posted:

How long did it take for the 3+ to come out after the 3 normal

3 months. It was hilariously quick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

lmao yeah

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so the pocket flip + will have a faster processor and the pocket flip ++ will have a second screen and normal thumbsticks?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you really need active cooling for ARM chip?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Depends. The Switch sure does.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ended up getting a 353V, at least partly because of one-day shipping and partly because i have no idea what os is going to work better so why not get one that does both

i imagine it'll do basically anything i can throw at it, since I'm almost certainly not going to ask anything of it more recent than the mid-90s. probably overkill but gently caress it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

More recent ones absolutely, especially if you’re overclocking them or need consistent performance.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of the RP3+, it looks like my screen kind of has a funky glow on dark colors. It's almost like the glue is bad on the screen. Can't really get a good picture of it because my phone keeps screwing up the exposure unfortunately.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

hexwren posted:

i imagine it'll do basically anything i can throw at it, since I'm almost certainly not going to ask anything of it more recent than the mid-90s. probably overkill but gently caress it

If you haven't done emulation for it before, N64 is a big hassle, surprisingly - if you're interested in that, you did the right thing by getting something Android-capable, the Android N64 emu is more fully developed and runs better.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

stephenthinkpad posted:

You absolutely do if you're using it for constant heavy loads. The reason phones get away without it is because they're doing light tasks 99% of the time and only really need to ramp up to full blast for a second or two here and there. If you try to push them it doesn't take long for thermal throttling to kick in hard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zzMisc posted:

If you haven't done emulation for it before, N64 is a big hassle, surprisingly - if you're interested in that, you did the right thing by getting something Android-capable, the Android N64 emu is more fully developed and runs better.

having mario golf on the 64 is hoped for, but not the worst thing in the world if it doesn't happen

I've dabbled in 64 emulation, and I seem to recall it was a hell of plugins, but i haven't touched it in years

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hexwren posted:

having mario golf on the 64 is hoped for, but not the worst thing in the world if it doesn't happen

I've dabbled in 64 emulation, and I seem to recall it was a hell of plugins, but i haven't touched it in years

N64 isn't the plugin hell it used to be, on Android I think you have a fork of Mupen to use and it's pretty much ready to go immediately.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

ended up getting a 353V, at least partly because of one-day shipping and partly because i have no idea what os is going to work better so why not get one that does both

got it and it appears to have arrived with the expectation that I'll actually be applying this thin piece of glass to the thing over the screen

I presume I'm supposed to use these included wipes to wipe it down before peeling the backing off the glass and sticking it on

it doesn't look like there's a matching thing to peel off the screen itself but the fact that this is a thing that's happening is perturbing me so I can't be sure of much of anything at the moment

e: I put it on and panicked because there ended up being a couple air bubbles under the glass, but I was eventually able to massage them out. I think

hexwren fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 18, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

hexwren posted:

e: I put it on and panicked because there ended up being a couple air bubbles under the glass, but I was eventually able to massage them out. I think

It wouldn’t be retro without the air bubbles caught under the screen protector

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's the cheapest one of these things that will run playstation games well?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Voice of Labor posted:

A PSP from your local Goodwill.

Edit: it's a serious suggestion. If all you want is PS1 games, the PSP will serve you well and be rather cheap.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 19, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Miyoo Mini Plus would be a decent device for the price. Assuming they don't sell out forever like the mini did.

Or the RG35XX.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

A PSP from your local Goodwill.

Edit: it's a serious suggestion. If all you want is PS1 games, the PSP will serve you well and be rather cheap.

Well the screens on them are a bit poo poo and it counts out anything that uses both analogue sticks or L2/R2.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can get away with not having analogue sticks but being able to use L2/R2 without the need for a toggle button is worth paying more and getting something modern

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Probably either the Anbernic RG35XX or the Miyoo Mini+, at least assuming you don't mind not having analog sticks and thus no Ape Escape

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Last I checked modable PSPs were in the $200+ dollar range, unless there’s been advancements.

From personal experience a Retroid 2+ or something equivalent will do you. Or one of those android phone cases with a built in controller and a playstore purchase of the PSX emulator.

Basically, it’s still a matter of comparing specs, looking at comparative YouTube vids and finding something in stock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Probably either the Anbernic RG35XX or the Miyoo Mini+, at least assuming you don't mind not having analog sticks and thus no Ape Escape

Yeah probably this unless you can get the moto
g deal for $40 and buy a controller for another $20.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Don’t overlook the RG351 devices, they’ll do PS1 handily and have 2 analog sticks (351V notwithstanding).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I'm trying to work with this thing and the instructions are just confusing enough to be annoying, and the interface is frankly opaque. I've also never touched retroarch, so I can tell it's going to be a delight.

I've just now discovered that the key to being able to manipulate the filesystems at all is to have it plugged into my PC while in android mode - my PC can't read the SD cards in a card reader of their own, and it doesn't do anything but charge on usb in linux mode. to be fair, it also requires a data cable which it did not come with. thankfully I've got several here at my desk.

It is a really wacky collection of roms that are preinstalled on this thing that I'm going to have to wipe out and replace with my own poo poo, I absolutely cannot follow the logic with some of this

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Get a vita, 5 minutes of "modding" and you can download PS1 games straight to the device

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

There are reasons to get a Miyoo Mini+, an RG 351(V/P/M) or an RG353VS, which are all a little more expensive. But I think the clearest answer to this question is the RG35XX which is currently in stock and is $56 before shipping. It should run every PS1 game that does not require two analog sticks (so basically just not Ape Escape) flawlessly. If PS1 for cheap is your number one priority, I think this is the obvious answer.

Edit: While this still doesn't beat the price of a Miyoo or 35XX, and you still need to get the charger and a memory card, one of ya'll probably should jump on this: https://www.ebay.com/p/12028526109?iid=124898264526. Looks like there are a few ~$95 Vitas on Ebay. If they're in good condition that seems like a good deal.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 19, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the problem with reccing official hardware is that PSPs and Vitas are starting to get expensive again to the point where I wouldn't recommend one just for PS1 stuff.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

hexwren posted:

So I'm trying to work with this thing and the instructions are just confusing enough to be annoying, and the interface is frankly opaque. I've also never touched retroarch, so I can tell it's going to be a delight.

1. Relax.

2. Throw out the SD card that came with your 353v. It will likely fail and you'll have to do this all over again. Get two new ones. You'll use one for the Linux OS and the second one for games.

3. Go buy a SD>USB adapter. These only cost a few bucks if you get one off Amazon or AliExpress. If you're hellbent on not doing it this way, you'll need to SSH (wiki in next step or Google it) or continue loving around with cables in android.

4. Pick an operating system. ArkOS has a very fleshed out Wiki and FAQ that should clear things up if you're willing to take the time to skim through it as you go. Follow the steps and flash the appropriate image.
https://github.com/christianhaitian/arkos/wiki

5. There's info in this wiki about setting up the second SD card with your roms. Each unit has its own FAQ with info like this.

6. Take time to watch some videos that will walk you through how things work. There are countless of these on YouTube. This channel in particular has several detailed tutorials for Retroarch and other similar devices.
https://youtu.be/icGYGriNkF4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Setting up RetoArch for the first time blows rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

RetoArch blows rear end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been totally avoiding it on my RP3+ but it's a little tough. The Duckstation PSX emulator, for example, doesn't let you bind key combos as hotkeys which is a big deal for a device that doesn't have extra buttons.

What's the best NES emulator to use on Android? I don't think Russ had a recommendation in his RP3 starter guide.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Yeah the problem with reccing official hardware is that PSPs and Vitas are starting to get expensive again to the point where I wouldn't recommend one just for PS1 stuff.

Same. The og OLED Vita is some really fuckin nice hardware though.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Setting up RetoArch for the first time blows rear end.

Setting it up for the 40th time also blows rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pig labeled 3 posted:

Setting it up for the 40th time also blows rear end

I’ve never ever liked ReroArch and at this point I just use the stand alone emulators.