Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sure but using the boxes we've had in the family for five decades is free

I'm glad someone other than my mom does this, and I fully expect to use that sacred inheritance for the rest of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Antivehicular posted:

I'm glad someone other than my mom does this, and I fully expect to use that sacred inheritance for the rest of my life

:hfive:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
lol I have banana boxes from the early 1980s, before I was even born, sitting my garage. My dad gave them to me to help me move after college, but they've been around for at least 8 different moves between the two of us

they are still incredible strong. I also do the layer of books -> layer of non-books thing, which conveniently eliminates the one big downside of banana boxes

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Someone recommended Grace of Kings as a really good fantasy with East Asian mythology instead of Western European.

I loving loved it and dove into the second one, Wall of Storms. And I’ve been captivated by it throughout. An event around the end just happened that was so tragic and so well-earned that I don’t even want to continue reading. I’m heartbroken. I haven’t felt this way reading a novel in a very long time.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tuyop posted:

Someone recommended Grace of Kings as a really good fantasy with East Asian mythology instead of Western European.

I loving loved it and dove into the second one, Wall of Storms. And I’ve been captivated by it throughout. An event around the end just happened that was so tragic and so well-earned that I don’t even want to continue reading. I’m heartbroken. I haven’t felt this way reading a novel in a very long time.

My neighbor just read this series and says it's now her favorite fantasy series she's read and I'm equally excited to start on it soon. Another good one is Sanderson's Emperor's Soul, which is a short novella and one of his best, and was influenced by a trip to China.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

My neighbor just read this series and says it's now her favorite fantasy series she's read and I'm equally excited to start on it soon. Another good one is Sanderson's Emperor's Soul, which is a short novella and one of his best, and was influenced by a trip to China.

Oh interesting, Branderson (and Rothfus) kept me away from fantasy basically until now, and I used to love Robert Jordan and forgotten realms stuff as a kid. I’ll check out the novella though since I’ve only read one of the mistborns and I don’t want to be a dick.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tuyop posted:

Oh interesting, Branderson (and Rothfus) kept me away from fantasy basically until now, and I used to love Robert Jordan and forgotten realms stuff as a kid. I’ll check out the novella though since I’ve only read one of the mistborns and I don’t want to be a dick.

Huh those are the ones that sucked me, weird how people can have opposite experiences.

Emperor’s Soul is considered to be one of his best works despite being 175 page and does a great job capturing an East Asian setting and culture.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading Sense and Sensibility at home. I bought the book ("The Complete Novels") in 2000 :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/bookishcauldron/status/1636912273628307458

I'm aghast at this. I cannot imagine the mental leaps you'd have to make to try to do this to someone.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm aghast at this. I cannot imagine the mental leaps you'd have to make to try to do this to someone.

Yeah, she should actually be throwing boring rear end "adult" books at the daughter if she wants to drive her back to YA

"Here honey, why don't you start with this hundred year old translation of War and Peace"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EricBauman posted:

Yeah, she should actually be throwing boring rear end "adult" books at the daughter if she wants to drive her back to YA

"Here honey, why don't you start with this hundred year old translation of War and Peace"

Dude war and peace rips

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
an adult wants her to read it, so it's by default LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

an adult wants her to read it, so it's by default LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

Okay that’s valid

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StrixNebulosa posted:

tweet back at her things like Great Expectations or Portnoy's Complaint

eta: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/sep/25/author-lauren-myracle-calls-on-overprotective-parents-to-stop-banning-books

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 but for YA is a undeniable moral good and should be encouraged.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Portnoy's Complaint bored the poo poo out of me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was there an ereader review thread? Boyfriend's mother needs a new one that isn't a kindle/in Amazon's ecosystem. Apparently our local library switched to a lending program that isn't supported on those readers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's more of a question what requirements that program has? Is it just epubs now? You can Calibre them. If it's some special app, I guess you need to use whatever device the app is available for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Megazver posted:

It's more of a question what requirements that program has? Is it just epubs now? You can Calibre them. If it's some special app, I guess you need to use whatever device the app is available for.

I'll have to do some drilling and play the telephone game to figure out what's going on, as I don't do the ereader thing (and of course the name of the new app is forgotten by my link). What's Calibre though; a sideloading app or...?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll have to do some drilling and play the telephone game to figure out what's going on, as I don't do the ereader thing (and of course the name of the new app is forgotten by my link). What's Calibre though; a sideloading app or...?

Calibre is a library management program for ebooks. It also converts between pdf/epub/mobi/etc. you run it on a computer and it can even email books to your ebook reader or whatever.

It was suggested because it could just convert the original files so you can use whatever app you want.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

tuyop posted:

Calibre is a library management program for ebooks. It also converts between pdf/epub/mobi/etc. you run it on a computer and it can even email books to your ebook reader or whatever.

It was suggested because it could just convert the original files so you can use whatever app you want.

Ah. Doing some digging it looks like our library went to using Libby, which is not approved by Amazon's app store. She mentioned that even with the assistance of a library tech she couldn't get "the work around" to work on her kindle so I'm wondering if an attempt to sideload it failed for some reason. Thanks for the pointers guys; it definitely helps bring some stuff about the situation into focus.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm so glad my parents just let me read whatever I wanted regardless of target age. Though I think that was partially because it made packing for vacations easier, since we devoured them quickly enough as it is, so having wider options made sharing easier and everyone didn't need their own huge pack of books. It did lead to me reading stuff like Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi books at age 11, which was maybe slightly inappropriate, though the only long term effect was a lifelong hate for characters who are acting entirely based on their boners.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah. Doing some digging it looks like our library went to using Libby, which is not approved by Amazon's app store. She mentioned that even with the assistance of a library tech she couldn't get "the work around" to work on her kindle so I'm wondering if an attempt to sideload it failed for some reason. Thanks for the pointers guys; it definitely helps bring some stuff about the situation into focus.

Well, it should be possible on Kindle Fire or any other tablet, but not the eink Kindles. You might need to jailbreak the Kindle Fire maybe.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

I use Libby on my phone to browse, then select read on kindle and it works pretty good for me. Sometimes Libby will redirect me to an Amazon webpage to click “borrow this book” but other than that never had a problem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I've been digging through lists of "best historical fiction novels" and family sagas and such and enjoying exploring a genre I'm unfamiliar with, and I ran into "Hanta Yo" and was curious about a Native American family saga novel... up until I discovered that the author was a mega-fan of Ayn Rand, made up a lot of bullshit for book, and more. :psyduck:

Here's an absolutely fascinating set of articles about this.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm so used to idealization of various native American peoples from a left-wing communalist perspective that seeing the right-wing individualist version surprises me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FPyat posted:

I'm so used to idealization of various native American peoples from a left-wing communalist perspective that seeing the right-wing individualist version surprises me.

It's a very strong strain in right wing American politics especially in the old West. Barry Goldwater would regularly cosplay as native american as part of Arizona high society.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just heard a Youtuber pronounce the I in memoir and I never knew I could get this mad at something like that.

e: Oh actually I should've known as I already got real mad at people calling normal-length (like 250-300 pages) novels novellas.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I have a very stupid hypothetical question: assuming the time and resources to learn any language, which language would you learn and which works should be prioritized in that language? Assume that the motivation is primarily to read literature in the original. I do have enough Latin to puzzle out the classics with a dictionary for the more difficult words, enough Spanish to survive in a Spanish-speaking country, and enough French not to embarrass myself completely (but maybe a little) while ordering dinner, but that’s it.

Currently I’m just considering classical Greek, but I imagine there are better options.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd learn French and then just read comics because French literature just isn't good.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'd learn French and then just read comics because French literature just isn't good.

I could read Tintin in the original. That’d be cool.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh how to choose? I probably would have chosen Chinese in the past because of the long literary tradition and like, how its culture is a big black box to me.

But, every piece of Latin American leftist sociology or history I’ve read translated has been deeply impactful and I would really love to be able to talk to these folks and read more obscure stuff.

Or Arabic for the poetry.

And West-African magical realism has given me a new lens into colonialism and development that is teaching me so much. I want more of that than what’s been published in Anglo countries.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ideally you should have learned the divine tongue that was taken from us in the chaos of babel and read the akashic records, op

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just heard a Youtuber pronounce the I in memoir and I never knew I could get this mad at something like that.

e: Oh actually I should've known as I already got real mad at people calling normal-length (like 250-300 pages) novels novellas.

I just tried pronouncing it that way and it sort of sounds like a pokemon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What does "pronounce the i" mean, like memo-eer? lol if so

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I've been digging through lists of "best historical fiction novels" and family sagas and such and enjoying exploring a genre I'm unfamiliar with, and I ran into "Hanta Yo" and was curious about a Native American family saga novel... up until I discovered that the author was a mega-fan of Ayn Rand, made up a lot of bullshit for book, and more. :psyduck:

Here's an absolutely fascinating set of articles about this.

Purely for reference as I was also curious, the current ASAIL site has the same issue on their website, though bizzarely the text hasn't been digitized and scanned.

https://www.asail.org/archives/publ/sailns/34-2/

...there are so many systems and documents that should be digitized. If I were a billionaire, one of my projects would be a nonprofit that would just travel around offering to do that for various entities for free.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

I just tried pronouncing it that way and it sort of sounds like a pokemon

You're right :newlol: Maybe that's why it was bugging me so much.

Carthag Tuek posted:

What does "pronounce the i" mean, like memo-eer? lol if so

Meh-mwah-oir. It's hard to describe.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Loucks posted:

I have a very stupid hypothetical question: assuming the time and resources to learn any language, which language would you learn and which works should be prioritized in that language? Assume that the motivation is primarily to read literature in the original. I do have enough Latin to puzzle out the classics with a dictionary for the more difficult words, enough Spanish to survive in a Spanish-speaking country, and enough French not to embarrass myself completely (but maybe a little) while ordering dinner, but that’s it.

Currently I’m just considering classical Greek, but I imagine there are better options.

If I had a magical learn-a-language button, I'd probably learn Mandarin and finally read all of those terrible xianxia webnovels without translation. I suspect the language also become more and more relevant culturally and economically in the coming decades.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Meh-mwah-oir. It's hard to describe.

link pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

read annie ernaux and proust, and then try writing that sentence one more time.