Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

bizwank posted:

Well, legally they have to so you have some room to negotiate price here, and if they don't want to play ball you can file a complaint with the state. Everything you need to know is here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/auto-rep-guide.pdf

Yeah, but won't they spit in your oil next time you need work done? Most shops are the god damned worst.

When I was first thinking of getting a bike again I told myself I'd bring it in for service rather than DIY in the street. It took all of a single service inquiry to the Suzuki place here to be reminded why I don't want to bring my bike in unless it's something painful or impossible for me to do. Last week I was just trying to get some tires ordered and put on the Triumph and there were like 10 back-and-forths with their parts guy, got put on hold and hung up on, availability date estimates flip-flopped all over, was asked to confirm the desired sizes like 3 times, that in the same (and only) email chain containing those very details. I never worked so hard to pay someone money in my life and I'm not switching places because they are all the god damned worst (except this non-dealership place that was booked 9 months out last I checked, random exceptions apply).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would simply not go back to a place run by ripoff c****

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

But would you... pay $3750 for an '07 FJR1300 with 70,000 miles on it and the plate "BMRZMR2"?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Noice. I’m kinda looking for a cb1100 (hard to find) or maybe the z900rs

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh to be clear I haven't bought it, but I haven't been able to take my eyes off it for a week and keep eyeing my savings. It would be a very expensive rental and I don't really believe myself when I think I can just resell it later for that much

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Lol so it charitably 'took' them 1.5 hours a lock

lol indeed. Hell I just finished replacing three case locks I had no key for as a total amateur and it probably took less than an hour's work if I ignore my futile but entertaining attempts att lockpicking. Drilling plus cleanup maybe half an hour, ordering new locks ten minutes, install fifteen minutes. I could do it all again in half an hour total now that I know what's up.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And on a GSXR too.

:patriot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One weird trick to make your crotch rocket invisible to cops

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

He was banging off the rev limiter in 1st as he rode away too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Dads can have a little rev bombing once in a while, as a treat.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My bike has a fat rear end now. Endaddening complete.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm really proud of you, young man

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That Michelin deal on RevZilla was perfect. Ordered a set of road 6s that should be here this week. Went and looked at my tires and definitely a good idea to get on them asap. Front was definitely the original tires from the OEM. Now just for the snow to goddamn stop. It was a blizzard this morning

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gonna try to hunt down a late model cb1100

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Invalido posted:

My bike has a fat rear end now. Endaddening complete.

I dunno if it's just the angle, but that's the least ugly topbox and pannier combo I've seen in a long time. Something about the bulbousness of the luggage matching the shape of the tank and the headlight. Just a bunch o' balls, rolling down the road.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks, my bike looks like a bunch of balls. It's probably the angle, I think it looks pretty bad especially from the rear but function over form is what dadbiking is all about and it's all relative I guess. Maybe it helps that it's all Givi stuff that's supposed to fit together. The silver trim on the topbox bothers me a tiny little bit and I'd rather it was red or black. I also think the box sits a bit too high up but whatever. It's nice to be able to fit the helmet AND the rain suit at the same time which I could only do by stuffing one into the other in my old, smaller topbox. Or even two full face helmets, imagine that.
On my first and only ride with the side cases on I smacked one of them into the end of a road boom that I've ridden past hundreds of times so I felt real dumb doing that. I haven't tried with both a passenger and side cases mounted yet but it looks like it should work. That's probably an edge case that might never need to occur anyway but options are always nice so I hope it's OK.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's only been a month and I'm already thinking about ordering an Aerostich.

e: I mean I'll probably end up with a Klim jacket and pants but a one-piece seems so bulletproof

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 4, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

This motorcycle is very good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just noticed the extremely subtle speed blocks, very nice

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

FBS posted:

This motorcycle is very good.

Beautiful

I posted a couple weeks back about an upcoming sport touring road trip and it looks like it’s still on. Going to try to cross the Sierras here in a couple weeks and praying for 45+ weather

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Welp, I took my last ride on the DR the other day and sold it today. No more fathercycling for me for a while. I am happy to report that the new owner was thrilled by the trashcan rally screen and told me he planned on keeping it on there. He also took my side racks and soft luggage with the plan to ride up to Alaska this fall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:patriot: may the trashscreen live on forever

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Another(?) dadbike success story

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:sickos:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nice. I just finished my first leg of the bike tour. Zipper failed on my dainese jacket while I was gearing up so that was fun. Bought a “first” brand leather jacket at the Harley store on my way out. It seems pretty solid but no armor.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If I had to choose between an open jacket and no shoulder/spine impact protection I'm honestly not sure which one I'd pick. I mean it's the street so I sorta expect to bounce off a saab or something

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

On a day ride I'd agree with you, but for a long trip my tolerance for substandard protection would get trumped by my desire for basic comfort and convenience

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh that's right I forgot it's April and it's STILL loving COLD OUT

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had a zipper failure too on my cold weather jacket last week. The little handle thing you grab to zip just plain fell off, and I was stuck inside the jacket. Thankfully my wife who could lay eyes on the problem helped me put a little keyring inside the zippy thing instead and it works, for now. I'm not afraid of getting the sowing machine out and repairing stuff when I can, but zipper replacements are usually no fun since they more or less start with the zipper and assemble the garment around it when sowing it in the first place.
Both my jackets have pockets for spine armor but I wear a standalone back protector instead since it covers more of my spine and also I feel it sits snugger. The downside apart from extra gear faffing is I forget it at times, ride a few blocks before I notice so I have to turn back and get it and then I'm late for work or something.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I have a key ring through my brand new gore Tex dainese pants lower zip because they caught the fabric and the metal pull snapped off

My jacket that failed today was also a dainese albeit one that has seen about 8 summers of commutes through LA

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I met a lady at the bar here who used to have a Japanese leathers import business but I can’t remember the brand she imported. She said it was fancy race suits

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kushitani

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

apropos of nothing, I just learned that Yamaha named a bike "Eluder" and had a good chortle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dainese stuff is sort of notorious for having lovely zippers. The one on my jacket lost its pull tab a long time ago (replaced it with a key ring) and recently it just totally failed and doesn't zip at all anymore.

I don't know why they don't just use YKK zippers. I've never seen one of those fail. There's no need for any other brands.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I dunno, I think all zippers fail eventually, it's just a matter of time and number of zips or wash cycles or flexes back and forth they can be expected to last. I have an old army jacket (which to my mind seems like an application where you make sure to get quality zippers and buttons and fabrics and seams etc.) where the zipper is giving up the ghost. The pull tab is fine but the actual interlocking teeth have been worn down to the point where they sometimes split apart. The garment was well worn when it came into my possession and I've worn it occasionally for the past 25 years but I think my point still stands. But yeah, ideally the zipper lasts longer than the fabric itself and having to trash a garment because of the zipper is frustrating. Velcro is a different story, that poo poo never lasts and nobody expects it to but unlike zippers it's usually easy enough to replace.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Invalido posted:

ideally the zipper lasts longer than the fabric itself and having to trash a garment because of the zipper is frustrating.

Right, and a tough leather jacket is one of the longest-lasting garments there is. Even if the zipper is acknowledged to be a wear item, there's no excuse for using anything but the best and strongest. Dainese zippers are flimsy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Replacing zippers isn't hard for most tailors to do, but finding one who will work on leathers can be interesting, and if the garment has a bonded,seam-taped waterproof layer and the waterproof zipper failed you're probably screwed (unless it's Aerostich, just send it back and they'll fix it (for a fee))

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Made it over the sierras into Nevada. I stopped briefly in Tahoe but it was way too zany and crowded so I left immediately. The mountains are distractingly beautiful here wow. Also the snow is still piled 10 ft high along the roads. Fortunately the roads themselves were clear and dry. Although bumpy as poo poo once your in Tahoe proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Which road did you take into Tahoe?