Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

bobmagic posted:

yep, that got me too

: Beat the game on Normal or Hard with either the 1 or 2 Way Shot
: Beat the game on Normal or Hard with the 8 Way Shot
: Beat the game on Hard

Great pick, I'd never heard of this game and it was a blast to play!

I did normal with 1-way shot and hard with 8-way. 8-way made some parts easier but got me killed a lot too because I was too dumb to juggle which way each character was aiming under pressure.

I had the most trouble with the stage 8 boss because I'd get trapped and couldn't get around to his other side without running into him, not sure if I was missing something but I probably just needed more speed upgrades.

well done & that's a good cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's too late for the game club deadline, but I want to try and finish Pikmin 2 anyways. How do people go about beating the robot spider in valley of repose's second cave? Even with all flower pikmin it's brutal trying to keep them out of range. If you leave a bunch of them away for the fight will the boss wander off to kill them, or can you try to keep it on one side of the arena and leave the slow ones on the other?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bees x1000 posted:

now I'm wondering if Sega was the true winner of the console wars

many people are DMing me this, thank you for being brave enough to say it out loud

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Shastahanshah posted:

It's too late for the game club deadline, but I want to try and finish Pikmin 2 anyways. How do people go about beating the robot spider in valley of repose's second cave? Even with all flower pikmin it's brutal trying to keep them out of range. If you leave a bunch of them away for the fight will the boss wander off to kill them, or can you try to keep it on one side of the arena and leave the slow ones on the other?

Hide a captain and all your non purples behind the large wall. Spam purples and whistle whenever it begins to shake them off, you'll have a head start of about a second or so to make a beeline for cover before the gun comes out. Spicy spray helps out a ton, use those if you have them

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

Would've had a 1CC except for this:

the only Vic Tokai game I'd known is Imperium and now I'm wondering if Sega was the true winner of the console wars. Excellent shmup.

they werent but they fought nobly nd died a warrior's death

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Game 2-12

Prince of Persia (PC/SNES/Others) - 1989 - Deadline 3/28/23 11:59EST

While the Sultan is fighting a war in a foreign land, his vizier Jaffar seizes power, locks the Sultan's daughter in a tower, and orders her to become his wife. The Prince, whom the Princess loves, is thrown into the palace dungeons. In order to free her, he must escape the dungeons, get to the palace tower and defeat Jaffar before time runs out.

Prince of Persia is a cinematic platform game developed and published by Broderbund for the Apple II in 1989. It was designed and implemented by Jordan Mechner. Taking place in medieval Persia, players control an unnamed protagonist who must venture through a series of dungeons to defeat the evil Grand Vizier Jaffar and save an imprisoned princess.

the Super Famicom cover art is insanely cool:

Link to the game manual:

The SNES version has a different time limit and difficulty compared to other versions -- so we have two sets of trophies this week.

Trophies:

: Unleash the Shadow Prince
: Beat the game (SNES)
: Beat the game (other versions)
: Get the IZGC's fastest complete time (SNES) (PLATINUM)
: Get the IZGC's fastest complete time (other versions) (PLATINUM)

:siren:Game starts 3/22/23 12AM EST:siren:

Thanks to Spoderman for the game and trophy picks, and good luck imps!

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 24, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Sub-Actuality posted:

Game 2-12

Prince of Persia (PC/SNES/Others) - 1989 - Deadline 3/28/23 11:59EST

While the Sultan is fighting a war in a foreign land, his vizier Jaffar seizes power, locks the Sultan's daughter in a tower, and orders her to become his wife. The Prince, whom the Princess loves, is thrown into the palace dungeons. In order to free her, he must escape the dungeons, get to the palace tower and defeat Jaffar before time runs out.

Prince of Persia is a cinematic platform game developed and published by Broderbund for the Apple II in 1989. It was designed and implemented by Jordan Mechner. Taking place in medieval Persia, players control an unnamed protagonist who must venture through a series of dungeons to defeat the evil Grand Vizier Jaffar and save an imprisoned princess.

Link to the game manual:

The SNES version has a different time limit and difficulty compared to other versions -- so we have two sets of trophies this week.

Trophies:

: Unleash the Shadow Prince
: Beat the game (SNES)
: Beat the game (other versions)
: Get the IZGC's fastest complete time (SNES) (PLATINUM)
: Get the IZGC's fastest complete time (other versions) (PLATINUM)

:siren:Game starts 3/22/23 12AM EST:siren:

Thanks to Spoderman for the game and trophy picks, and good luck imps!

man I played this so much growing up, great pick

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
snes version's music is great

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Haven't played that game in like 25 years, gonna be a totally different experience.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
oh poo poo! great pick.

iirc the snes version has a different time limit because it has additional levels added by the porting team alongside the cool new art and music

Sub-Actuality posted:

by the great Katsuya Terada, who was doing a few game things around this time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

never touched any of the games, lfg

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thag game's gonna completely kick my rear end.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

looking forward to the competition.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

whoa

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

yeah this game's rad. just really breezy and goofy and fun. good art good music. good pick

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

lol figured i'd get to this tomorrow or something but i just felt like immediately going back in. 2 way shot is the shot for me, i like being able to quickly focus fire and while i did eventually get used to doing that with 8 way it still never felt natural

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i loving hate prince of persia

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

Lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

the grand vizier:

trying to jack off posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Then he got an idea. An awful idea. The Vizier had a wonderful, awful idea.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Sweet, played the crap out of the DOS version and the XBLA remake, but somehow never played the SNES one.

Going to try to get to battle mania today but currently experiencing okami mania.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

in case anyone was wondering, you counterstop at 999999 and don't earn any more health after that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Then he got an idea. An awful idea. The Vizier had a wonderful, awful idea.
He even smoked the last pack of Who Hashish

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god someone found my old av! Whoever this was thank you, also see if you can find my big suit one.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god someone found my old av! Whoever this was thank you, also see if you can find my big suit one.

:cheersbird:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
: Feed all animals

Not too bad if you're very, very thorough after reaching a new area. Panicked when I went running past the lost rabbit in Ryoshima and the feed prompt popped up but luckily that was the only miss lol.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Another near-1CC but the final boss instakilled me somehow? I thought 2-Way Shot would be more challenging than 8-Way but it made it easier to concentrate your fire.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I lost a ton of momentum when I got a game over on level 6. What makes the later stages easy is just having a million bullets on screen at all time knocking out enemy projectiles and sucks having to power back up if you continue. Still the game gave enough continues for me to power through. Also managed to get squished by the final boss because he's completely solid instead of having a hurt box for some reason. There's a bonus scene of the character complaining if you have to use a continue on the final boss. I'll try again on hard if I can find time.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Been slackin on picking up my trophyz

: Defeat Orochi

: Defeat Ninetails

: Catch all fish

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

wow this third digging minigame is fuckin terrible

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fun game, good pick! I went with 1 way shot on normal, after first trying 8 way and dying a few times from moving to try to change my shot direction at the wrong time and hitting stuff lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

woulda been a 1cc but i got squished in stage 3 trying to grab the powerup at the very beginning that lands on the big foot lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im pretty sure hard mode:

gives you less continues
gives you less health on a fresh continue
adds more projectiles to most bosses and minibosses
adds some more enemies to some waves but not a ton

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think hard mode requires more points for an extend too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

: Defeat Crimson Helm

That fight went way quicker than the Spider Queen. I’m loving this game and how much variety there is, I really hope I can beat it before the end of the month

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Stage 4 owned me repeatedly, otherwise pretty breezy. But I think I might get super pissed off at this game if I tried it on Hard lol, I'm not very good at shmups and had a lot of trouble keeping track of my hitbox.

Great music, fun mixing up of level types.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Playing the second time on normal with 8-way was considerably easier lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh god I'm terrible at Prince of persia lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

After hearing how overwhelming 8-way shot was I decided I’d do that one on normal so I could just do 1 or 2-way on hard. Not sure I made the right call because this was brutal lol, I’m bad at shoot ‘em ups generally and was constantly losing track of which of the three characters was the one I was directly controlling, which way I was facing, and so on in the heat of a fight but after white-knuckling it all day I finally made it. I’ll save hard mode for tomorrow, I’m ready for something more relaxing lol