Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They've also already got Mario Kart. There's not really a demand for two first party racing games when the one you've got is selling 50m copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Meh-zero

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
is mario kart worth it for single player

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

American McGay posted:

They've also already got Mario Kart. There's not really a demand for two first party racing games when the one you've got is selling 50m copies.

Eh, these are two games with completely different audiences in mind though. Mario Kart is whacky fun with a bit of try harding in Time Trials if you want it, F-Zero is 100% for try hards that gotta go fast all the time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

nom epique posted:

No its mainly a multiplayer party game

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

nom epique posted:

I found beating all the staff ghosts + getting gold in all the grand prix to be a lot of fun back at release, I definitely felt like I got my money's worth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
makes perfect sense u would be playing it alone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s a cool AV stux

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I wish Masahiro Sakurai would do F-Zero

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

i wish F-Zero was real and not a collective hallucination.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Eh, these are two games with completely different audiences in mind though. Mario Kart is whacky fun with a bit of try harding in Time Trials if you want it, F-Zero is 100% for try hards that gotta go fast all the time.

Mario Kart online is like loving Mad Max compared to single player and now I'm wishing to see what F-Zero online would be like

nom epique posted:

I'd say no, I don't know about time trials (playing Mario Kart with you being the only person on the course sounds like the opposite of fun) but everything else in single player is extremely easy. Playing by yourself is only good for learning the courses, imo

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah Mario Kart 8 online is some of the most cutthroat competition out there, and I say that as someone who (tries to) play fighting games competitively. There is no mercy for the weak in MK.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

While trying to clean the potentiometers in my pro controller for the nth time the ribbon cable connecting the two mainboards broke, and I might have shorted something out as a result. I bought replacement ribbon cables to see if I can get it running again that way and then maybe completely replace some parts. Before ordering brand new thumb pointers directly from ALPS I'm going to first try these because the variable resistor is the root cause of the problem.

In case I fried something, how is the new 8BitDo Ultimate controller with the hall effect sticks? I looked at the Guilkit KK2 but saw a lot of complaints about glitchiness and input latency, which is a dealbreaker for me. I've heard good things about 8BitDo in the past but never felt the need to get one until now, what are some of the quirks it's going to have compared to a regular pro controller?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

In case I fried something, how is the new 8BitDo Ultimate controller with the hall effect sticks? I looked at the Guilkit KK2 but saw a lot of complaints about glitchiness and input latency, which is a dealbreaker for me. I've heard good things about 8BitDo in the past but never felt the need to get one until now, what are some of the quirks it's going to have compared to a regular pro controller?

I have one, and overall, it's probably the best controller I've ever used. The only minor thing is that the d-pad initially had the same problem the switch pro controller had with sensitive inputs, but as I used it more that problem went away. Just needed to be worn in, I guess.

It's a little smaller than a pro controller though, so if you have giant meathook hands like I do it will take a little getting used to.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My hands are on the smaller side so that should be fine. I remember third party controllers being weird about turning on the system, it sounds like that's been taken care of? I'm guessing it doesn't have the HD rumble the Nintendo stuff had due to patents or whatever. If my pro controller is toast I wonder if I can cram those motors in there somehow.

Are there any places to get them in Canada other than Amazon? For some reason the black one is $25 more, and as far as I can tell they're both the Bluetooth version that should work with the Switch and have hall effect sensors.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Ultimate can supposedly wake the Switch from sleep mode when shook, instead of the more common method of "press the home button". Why? :iiam:

I assume they're hiking the price on the black ones because they're selling better? AFAICT you're right, both of the controllers in the link you provided are the same controller.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

The GameCube one? Yes it did.

Na, the story mode you played as Captain Falcon only.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mycot posted:

F Zero is weird because it's not like they've tried and failed to reboot it a million times (Star Fox, Metroid pre-Dread). They never even reached trying.

nintendo fans cant drive fast

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just have an obsession with customizing vehicles with decals, colours, and different parts (way more extensively than MK8D), and FZGX, as well as Forza 4, scratched that itch so well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you like Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8 is worth it just to play single player. There's a ton of tracks and while it won't be a long term challenge, your first play through of courses at 200 cc will be really challenging. It's a fun game to learn the ins and outs of.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i mean i dont gently caress around much in mp i just have it because it's a great game to throw on when i'm on a bus ride or something and have ten minutes to kill

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

and like 60% of the demand for it comes from people who like Captain Falcon from Smash

Hey it worked out for Fire Emblem eventually :v:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Coxswain Balls posted:

While trying to clean the potentiometers in my pro controller for the nth time the ribbon cable connecting the two mainboards broke, and I might have shorted something out as a result. I bought replacement ribbon cables to see if I can get it running again that way and then maybe completely replace some parts. Before ordering brand new thumb pointers directly from ALPS I'm going to first try these because the variable resistor is the root cause of the problem.

8bitdo Ultimate is drat good, I've been using one for PC and Switch games daily for a few months. It's sturdy, and the input lag is very low when using the 2.4g dongle with either system. The sticks are perfect, no glitchiness or latency at all. It can indeed wake the Switch by shaking the controller/lifting it out of its dock

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 19, 2023

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just have an obsession with customizing vehicles with decals, colours, and different parts (way more extensively than MK8D), and FZGX, as well as Forza 4, scratched that itch so well.

Lol this is making me want to get an Xbox. Hopefully Armored Core 6 has good customization

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fzero needs a rpg or let him hunt bounties

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The last console F-Zero appeared on, the Gamecube, sold ~21,000,000 units

The Nintendo Switch, as of December 2022, has sold ~122,000,000 units

Double Dash!! sold ~6,000,000 copies, while MK8D has gone onto to sell ~52,000,000

I get the logic behind the argument that F-Zero isn't that popular and probably wouldn't sell enough to warrant Nintendo's attention... but I also think that theory deserves to be tested. The Switch is a bonkers console with an extremely good track record for Nintendo properties

Also, F-Zero GX did not sell that badly; it sold 1,500,000 copies and is actually a top 20 (in sales) GCN game, around the same level as Pikmin, Twilight Princess, and most of the Mario sports titles. It seems unlikely it'll enjoy a nearly 1000% increase in sales like DD!! -> MK8D, but it could.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget that, when the switch came out, everyone was clamoring for Fast RMX, which was similar to F-Zero. I don't know how much it sold, but it got good reviews. I think F-Zero at least deserves a shot on switch.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
copped tennis aces instead of mario kart. So far so good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lemme think the last time I heard people talk about fzero outside a game forum...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I dont think the general public likes future racers

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
First time copping from the e shop and it downloaded in less than ten mins too

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

nom epique posted:

First time copping from the e shop and it downloaded in less than ten mins too

how does your GameStop Guy feel about this naked betrayal

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hatty posted:

I dont think the general public likes future racers

Wipeout always gets the shaft too

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Upsidads posted:

Lemme think the last time I heard people talk about fzero outside a game forum...

?

An F-Zero game hasn't been released in two decades, it'd be very weird if people outside a game forum were talking about it all. But it's a well known game, it has a great reputation with GX frequently making "best games of all time" lists, and it's memory is kept alive in extremely popular games like Mario Kart and Smash

A new F-Zero game announcement would be a headline event. It's not like people are frothing at the mouth for it, but you'll have a strong core audience, a large group of people who've "always wanted to try an F-Zero", and you know it'd be a real looker of a game that'll surely bring in a good amount of newcomers who've never heard of it

then people will play it and it'll be far too hard for them and that'll dominate games discourse for the next couple weeks. but one step at a time.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

how does your GameStop Guy feel about this naked betrayal

don't engage the gbs aids guy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know how the F-Zero chat got started, but it's extremely unlikely Nintendo is making a new F-Zero game or remastering one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

veni veni veni posted:

Wipeout always gets the shaft too

Wipeout trilogy got a VR/HD remaster for the PS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Wipeout trilogy got a VR/HD remaster for the PS4

Yeah and I played the hell out of it but I'd still like to see the series get a title newer than PS Vita launch day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah and I played the hell out of it but I'd still like to see the series get a title newer than PS Vita launch day.

Good Luck resurrecting Psygnosis :smith:

Tell them to make Colony Wars 4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I said come in! posted:

I don't know how the F-Zero chat got started, but it's extremely unlikely Nintendo is making a new F-Zero game or remastering one.

Well, it was just last page...