Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
All Rusicals are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's not Ibsen, but it was a solid script for Rusical and exceptionally well performed.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've waited 15 goddamn seasons for that lip sync song and I am PISSED that it wasn't an Orville Peck song instead.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Nihonniboku posted:

All Rusicals are terrible

I'm not watching this season but yes this is true

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi I binged through all of the current season this week after ignoring the whole Drag Race industry for 15 years and it turns out this is exactly the poo poo that I live for what is wrong with me.

I've never turned around on a reality show contestant faster than initially finding Luxx delusional to about an hour later realising that she is absolute fire at everything she does and that when she says she's the best it's not delusion it's just fact

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

you'll enjoy how many more queens fit into the "they're great but also delusional" paradox

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

big dyke energy posted:

I've waited 15 goddamn seasons for that lip sync song and I am PISSED that it wasn't an Orville Peck song instead.

Right?

And then it was a bad lip sync to a fantastic song. Send them both home.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I feel bad for Salina, you could really argue that she *didn’t* deserve to be in the bottom 2 almost every time she was, and then this episode felt like a mercy-killing because everyone did about the same level of good in the challenge.

Really the only thing you can say sent her home was the outfit, which, to be fair…yeah.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Someone like Crystal Methyd would've been praised for that outfit, or even a standard fashion twink

I also don't really get the negative response towards the lip sync. It's a weirdly melodramatic song by a weirdly melodramatic singer, and at least one of them did a weirdly melodramatic performance.

The judges would've ate up Monet revealing regular gloves under comically oversized gloves.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 19, 2023

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
Also I finally caught up on this season. I haven't really enjoyed it and bounced after the Daytona Wind episode. It had this really uncomfortable feeling where it was like...watching a Youtube video set at 1.5 speed or something. The Rusical episode was the first that felt like it was normal time and running like a Drag Race episode should.

I gather from reading this thread off and on that there is some weird thing with MTV episode lengths or something? I don't know, it's so strange. Like production took all the wrong lessons from the complaints about seasons 14.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

The judges would've ate up Monet revealing regular gloves under comically oversized gloves.

I didn't even notice that. I think it just speaks more to her having a passion and knowledge for drag, but just lacked the polish. I suppose it sounds like a good idea given the history of wig reveals, but the puffy gloves were already clocked as enh and a gimmick. I imagine Loosey as someone who had won 2 main challenges and being bitter about not winning more was a more compelling story for the producers than Salina winning no challenges and being bitter about it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

gandlethorpe posted:

Someone like Crystal Methyd would've been praised for that outfit, or even a standard fashion twink

Much like the rest of her drag it was a little messy and had some odd details. That's not a bad thing, that's literally what she goes for, and I think the only thing I would have changed on this one would have been to make the gloves a part of the jumpsuit instead of their own separate thing.

Unrelated: I know y'all are feeling Mistress and Luxx but I am very very much not. It's definitely the social pressure cooker of reality TV and the edit on top of that but the vibes I get from how they interact with each other vs. everyone else feels rancid in the same way that having people pick at my edges until I snapped in school did. They're being mean and claiming everyone's in on the joke when they clearly are not and then try to justify that with 'oh im just being real i keep it real." That attitude is fun for reality TV but I want someone to call them the gently caress out about it instead of backing away and letting them go for it because they don't want to be the target of the rabid fanbase.

Rarity posted:

Hi I binged through all of the current season this week after ignoring the whole Drag Race industry for 15 years and it turns out this is exactly the poo poo that I live for what is wrong with me.

There is so much good TV in the backlog here, but standout seasons are definitely 4, 5, 6, and 8. 3 is still good but has aged absolutely terribly re: society marching on. 4 was...better, I think but they didn't stop using slurs on the show until halfway through season 6 so be prepared for that if you go back through.
One of the finalists on season 7 lost because of her fan perception (via the side show untucked, which is the queens hanging out backstage during the judging) and after that you have a lot of them coming in and being very careful about how they're perceived, so seasons 1-7 have a lot more "raw" feeling to them that she show hasn't had since.

alf_pogs posted:

you'll enjoy how many more queens fit into the "they're great but also delusional" paradox

Courtney Act is one of the most entertaining queens I've seen on this show and halfway through the season she called another contestant a low-rent version of herself.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 19, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Drag Race peaked in season 4 but it's okay I'll keep watching that garbage

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

as2 is the best season but dragula seasons 3-4 and resurrection are better than any season of dr made after the first change in network

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

big black turnout posted:

You spelled 5 wrong

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

“We’re doing let loose but as a musical?!” is the only time I’ve genuinely cracked up at drag race in years. Crown that bitch and the fan base meltdown could power the WOW studios for years to come

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

gandlethorpe posted:

You spelled 6 wrong

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

MizuZero posted:

dragula seasons 3-4 and resurrection are better than any season of dr made after the first change in network

Yeah this is true

gandlethorpe posted:

You spelled 5 wrong

Sharon had her uhh let's say "controversies" after her season but her win will always be extremely meaningful to me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Loosey bullying is loving weird and uncomfortable.

Also this season really helps cement a theory I have in my head that when zoomers wanna be shady or haters they tend to publicly justify their stance so they can have some kind of moral high ground. Meanwhile older generations will just say poo poo cause they wanna. Which is what Loosey should do. She should just say what she wants and not give the kids any explanation or the time of day to listen to them yammer on. You think they would pick on Sasha?

Honestly the best reality TV show thing Loosey could've done was just eliminate herself citing the toxic environment created by Luxe and Mistress in the Werkroom. Just poison their runs and maybe even their post Drag Race careers. Now that would be some dang TV.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

big black turnout posted:

3-6 is the golden age but yeah S4 is the best. Sharon, Phi Phi, Willam - nonstop unbeatable reality tv. also mad respect to any queen fighting through a design / sewing challenge and those seasons were full of them

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i liked the rusical but im sketchy on the idea of having the whole thing be a prerecording lip synch performance. i dont really expect anything like s6 where they actually sing but id like to see the dialogue done by them at least

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eej posted:

Also this season really helps cement a theory I have in my head that when zoomers wanna be shady or haters they tend to publicly justify their stance so they can have some kind of moral high ground.

Impossible, Mistress is a zoomer

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rarity posted:

Impossible, Mistress is a zoomer

I couched it by saying "tend to" but also I think Mistress actually does this in her own way. She's always explaining or giving an excuse for why she's doing something, just not necessarily to the other queens. So in this case she really wants the viewers to know she's not a villain.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I don’t know if I really want to go into the “this drag queen is toxic” based off what we see on Drag Race. The show is designed in a way to be uncomfortable and stressful for those who compete in it to bring out the drama and conflict. The show is heavily produced, we all know this, and I am doing my best to try and keep that in mind when I watch the show.

I do live a bit for Lux’s dissertation about how Loosey’s drag is basic and boring. If that happened in real life, I’d feel loving horrible and I can only imagine how Loosey felt at that moment. Nastiness will happen, but the environment they are in does nothing to help the situation and I don’t feel like Lux would do something like that in an everyday life.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jimmydalad posted:

I do live a bit for Lux’s dissertation about how Loosey’s drag is basic and boring

I mean she's not wrong

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I do live a bit for Lux’s dissertation about how Loosey’s drag is basic and boring.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Rusical was fine, but with the amount of exposure and acclaim the show has lately, there should be enough LGBTQ+ up and coming comedy writers trying to beat down the door to replace whatever demon haunted machine is spewing out plots for the scripted bits/musicals.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

The Loosey bullying is loving weird and uncomfortable.

Also this season really helps cement a theory I have in my head that when zoomers wanna be shady or haters they tend to publicly justify their stance so they can have some kind of moral high ground. Meanwhile older generations will just say poo poo cause they wanna.

This is true. It started as kind of funny, but it is starting to quickly become bullying.

angerbeet posted:

The Rusical was fine, but with the amount of exposure and acclaim the show has lately, there should be enough LGBTQ+ up and coming comedy writers trying to beat down the door to replace whatever demon haunted machine is spewing out plots for the scripted bits/musicals.

They don't want to pay the money for a writer's room, justifying it as no matter how bad the script is, a good queen will make it good

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There’s no queen alive or dead who could have made Breastworld good

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I liked Luxx going down the line because I more or less agreed with what she had to say, especially about Loosey. Sorry Loosey, I don’t hate you or anything, but Michelle was spot on when she said Loosey in boy drag was fun and entertaining and then immediately became boring once she switched into her normal drag later on.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I was howling during Luxx’s long wind up to the Loosey shade. It was genuinely funny.

The other moments of bullying can get to be too much for me but I lived for the moment and it raised my estimation of Luxx considerably.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
See that windup to calling Loosey's drag basic was the kind of reality TV drama I live for, that was pure gold TV. And then it was kind of glanced over in Untucked because Loosey wouldn't say how upset she is and why despite Salina screaming at her to do it. That's my issue here, nobody's fighting back so it comes off incredibly one-sided. Sharon+PhiPhi's party city fight is iconic, and the Heathers stuff from season 3 was also fun because the "targeted" queens are fighting back, as opposed to here where MIB and Luxx are doing Heathers poo poo and everyone else is either content to let it happen or actively avoiding getting involved.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
God I'm not sure I've passed a party city a single time in the past decade without thinking about that fight

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
I'm surprised Mistress wasn't read by the judges for her outfit. Sure it had opulent gloves, but the whole outfit was opulent so if you'd just given me a picture of her and asked for the category, I wouldn't have gotten gloves at all. I feel like there are some occasions where people skate past basically ignoring the theme by just having a really beautiful look.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zedar posted:

I'm surprised Mistress wasn't read by the judges for her outfit. Sure it had opulent gloves, but the whole outfit was opulent so if you'd just given me a picture of her and asked for the category, I wouldn't have gotten gloves at all. I feel like there are some occasions where people skate past basically ignoring the theme by just having a really beautiful look.

It's possible they did, but it was just edited it out because that wasn't the narrative for the week.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: the lip sync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoozYARtdpw

MY BOYFRIEND's sister heard the song come on in the car (the BF is a Kate Bush fan, apparently), and said, "I can't hear that song without thinking of the parody." I had no clue what she was on about, and then she showed me. And I cackled. So that whole lip sync was like. Funny.

RE: Luxx going down the line

Oh my god, I was loving dying laughing. "Each queen has such excellence or unique things to bring. And also, Loosey is there." You horrible shady evil bitch I live. I was kind of meh on Luxx before, but this was some petty rear end queen poo poo which I live for.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i liked the rusical but im sketchy on the idea of having the whole thing be a prerecording lip synch performance. i dont really expect anything like s6 where they actually sing but id like to see the dialogue done by them at least

If we don't have to repeat hearing Gina Gunn and April Carrion singing again, I think it's a win. Not everyone can or should sing. I'm OK with the lip syncing.

Season 6 is the quintessential season. People still were bringing stuff they had from home, instead of having huge budgets to spend.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dino. posted:

Season 6 is the quintessential season. People still were bringing stuff they had from home, instead of having huge budgets to spend.

i do think some sort of price limit on what can be brought from home would be a great equaliser.

also let's take a moment to stan thrifty queen Raja OHara, who makes all her own poo poo for tuppence

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Season 6 is great, but season 5 has Alyssa Edwards, so. There’s drama and a storyline right from the jump, no waiting around. I still laugh when I think about Coco saying ”Alyssa Edwards :stare:” when she walks in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

It's possible they did, but it was just edited it out because that wasn't the narrative for the week.

The edit is just extremely heavy handed. Anetra had multiple cuts to the judges smiling during her performance, for example, just to solidify her win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

Season 6 is great, but season 5 has Alyssa Edwards, so. There’s drama and a storyline right from the jump, no waiting around. I still laugh when I think about Coco saying ”Alyssa Edwards :stare:” when she walks in.

I don't think she wants to talk about it... But we're gonna talk about it... If she doesn't go home first.

Peak drama, mama