Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This feels like a pretty out there power, but thinking it over, it does seem like it could be how Izanagi was eventually derived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang, that's quite a turn. and it's late enough that it probably won't be reversed easily.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's a pretty exciting development that's for sure.

I should wait until the chapter is actually released before speculating too much though. Maybe a different translation will change what I think.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Eida effectively swapped Boruto and Kawaki’s respective pasts with only the three of them being the wiser (Sarada also remained unaffected for some reason, I’d say it might be an Uchiha thing except this implies that Sasuke also now believes this new version of history).

I have to admit I did not see that coming and am very curious to see how this inevitably leads to the prologue at the start of the series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 17, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sumire was also immune for some reason, so who knows? she might actually be an important character now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sumire was also immune for some reason, so who knows? she might actually be an important character now.

She was important in the anime early on at least but yeah, it’d be nice if she got some decent screen time in the manga as well (come to think of it, I believe it was established earlier that Sarada and Sumire are also immune to Eida’s ability for some so far unexplained reason)

Speaking of the anime, I assume they’ll be ending Part 1 on Kawaki “killing” Boruto (and probably his subsequent revival as well)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao Bort getting inadvertantly Sasuke'd.

Gonna have to bail on the Leaf, and come back later after a time jump. Bort, Sarada and Sumire running off to try and figure out what to do

Mostly wonder what makes Sumire(I'm assuming if you were immune to her charm power, you are immune to this) and Sarada immune while Sasuke isn't?

Wait, it's going to be something silly like loving someone who is an Ōtsutsuki isn't it, Sumire blatantly confessed to being in love with Bort, and Sarada hides it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, if there’s gonna be a timeskip then Boruto, Sarada, and Sumire bailing on the Leaf seems like a pretty good place to end the first half

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Uchiha and Senju are closely related to the Otsutsuki thanks to Indra and Asura, and she's had Senju cells implanted in her by her father, which probably explains her immunity

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dexo posted:

lmao Bort getting inadvertantly Sasuke'd.

Gonna have to bail on the Leaf, and come back later after a time jump. Bort, Sarada and Sumire running off to try and figure out what to do

Mostly wonder what makes Sumire(I'm assuming if you were immune to her charm power, you are immune to this) and Sarada immune while Sasuke isn't?

Wait, it's going to be something silly like loving someone who is an Ōtsutsuki isn't it, Sumire blatantly confessed to being in love with Bort, and Sarada hides it.

Time skip Boruto: Shippingthem

Not sure how I feel about this twist, but it's definitely at least interesting and unexpected. Unlike the original Naruto where we always had a sense of where the story would go, this really opens the story up to a whole lot of possibilities.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, if there’s gonna be a timeskip then Boruto, Sarada, and Sumire bailing on the Leaf seems like a pretty good place to end the first half

Also thinking about it, Maybe Himawari. Before this, she was talking about becoming a ninja, and she was immune to Daemon's powers, and he viewed her as a threat to him for some reason.

It's going to be very very funny if having the bond of "loving" an Ohtsuki is really the secret to not getting reality warped.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Uchiha and Senju are closely related to the Otsutsuki thanks to Indra and Asura, and she's had Senju cells implanted in her by her father, which probably explains her immunity

This was my initial thought, but it doesn't Explain Sasuke not realizing what's going on. Unless we find out Sakura's parents are Senju lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Also thinking about it, Maybe Himawari. Before this, she was talking about becoming a ninja, and she was immune to Daemon's powers, and he viewed her as a threat to him for some reason.

It's going to be very very funny if having the bond of "loving" an Ohtsuki is really the secret to not getting reality warped.

In the anime she’s currently enrolled at the academy at least so yeah, Himawari becoming important in the second half would definitely be welcome in my opinion

Also I forget, was there anything in Sumire’s backstory early on that might explain her immunity (her connection to Nue perhaps)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 17, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

In the anime she’s currently enrolled at the academy at least so yeah, Himawari becoming important in the second half would definitely be welcome in my opinion

Also I forget, was there anything in Sumire’s backstory early on that might explain her immunity (her connection to Nue perhaps)?

Nue was made with Senju cells and was implanted in her, outside of the whole being in love with Naruto thing, Sasuke theoretically not being immune is like the thing that doesn't jive, with it being Sage of Six Paths stuff

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

This was my initial thought, but it doesn't Explain Sasuke not realizing what's going on. Unless we find out Sakura's parents are Senju lol

He doesn't have the Rinnegan anymore

If Naruto had Kurama, he'd likely also be immune

Although given he's in another dimension, rather than elsewhere on the planet...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

He doesn't have the Rinnegan anymore

If Naruto had Kurama, he'd likely also be immune

Although given he's in another dimension, rather than elsewhere on the planet...

It'd have to be due to him being an Uchiha, as unless Sarada has the Rinnegan, which I guess maybe she has the potential for since Sasuke had it when she was born or whenever. But yeah

We don't know if Naruto was immune or not as he never was face to face with her, unless I'm forgetting something. They kept her away just incase, but maybe it wasn't necessary.

The Sasuke (seemingly) being affected is the only thing that makes this less clean.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Actually thinking about it.

I just remembered that Bort is wearing Sasuke's Cloak and using his sword in the flashforward. Maybe Sasuke is just playing along, or he gets got or something.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe Sasuke doesn't love Bort.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe Sasuke doesn't love Bort.

Sasuke barely has enough love in him for his wife and daughter, no way he has any extra to spare for Bort

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
If it’s a Senju cells thing, and not a love thing, it would really be a great way to finally bring Yamato back into the story, after being relegated to Zetsu power factory and Orochimaru guard duty for the last decade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering they’re technically not on earth anymore I wonder if Naruto and Hinata would be affected by this recent change in history as well (or if we’ll check in on them at some point assuming there’s anything in the place Kawaki sent them to)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it can't be love because mitsuki is right there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vinylshadow posted:

What? When?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Larryb posted:

Considering they’re technically not on earth anymore I wonder if Naruto and Hinata would be affected by this recent change in history as well (or if we’ll check in on them at some point assuming there’s anything in the place Kawaki sent them to)

They mentioned that Hinata and Naruto are kind of "stuck in time" and won't age or starve, so I really doubt the recent chapter involves them in any way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It was in the Anime. Which is where she was added to the manga from.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Specifically the first arc of the anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Which I believe is largely canon to the manga (Sumire appeared in the anime first after all)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

It was in the Anime. Which is where she was added to the manga from.

Vinylshadow posted:

I realize I'm kind of a moron and the two of you are referring to Sumire, and not Sarada being the one that had Senju cells implanted.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They mentioned that Hinata and Naruto are kind of "stuck in time" and won't age or starve, so I really doubt the recent chapter involves them in any way.

Yeah whenever we see them again, they'll presumably be smacked hard with the fact that the world moved years ahead of them in the blink of an eye.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah whenever we see them again, they'll presumably be smacked hard with the fact that the world moved years ahead of them in the blink of an eye.

Sort of curious how they inevitably make it out and what prompts Kawaki to go full scorched earth on the Leaf like we saw at the beginning of the series

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Sort of curious how they inevitably make it out and what prompts Kawaki to go full scorched earth on the Leaf like we saw at the beginning of the series

Do we know if he actually did? A lot of that stuff seems misleading now, like how he did not kill Naruto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do we know if he actually did? A lot of that stuff seems misleading now, like how he did not kill Naruto.

True (and even if the village actually got razed as it appears that doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone/anyone is dead). We’ll just have to see I guess.

For the moment though I assume Shikamaru is going to get sworn in as the 8th Hokage, Boruto is forced to flee the village, Sarada, Sumire, and possibly Himawari will leave as well since they still have their old memories, and then we’ll time jump from there

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 19, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

He never specifically said he killed Naruto.

Larryb posted:

True (and even if the village actually got razed as it appears that doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone/anyone is dead). We’ll just have to see I guess.

For the moment though I assume Shikamaru is going to get sworn in as the 8th Hokage, Boruto is forced to flee the village, Sarada, Sumire, and possibly Himawari will leave as well since they still have their old memories, and then we’ll time jump from there

Yeah, like Pain did similar damage to Konoha. buildings can get destroyed, and rebuilt .

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 19, 2023

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I hope Kawaki's body becomes literally deformed like that panel in the opening. I also wonder if the original Japanese was as coyly ambiguous as the English in terms of the hokage's fate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

He never specifically said he killed Naruto.

I know, that’s why I said a lot of that stuff is misleading. Like we don’t know if he’s actually trying to destroy the leaf or not.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dexo posted:

I just remembered that Bort is wearing Sasuke's Cloak and using his sword in the flashforward. Maybe Sasuke is just playing along, or he gets got or something.

What if it didn't affect Sasuke either, that maybe the Sharingan blocks it? They've been throwing death flags at Sasuke for a while now. Maybe he sacrifices his life to let Boruto get away, and this is how Boruto gains Sasuke's cloak and sword.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

What if it didn't affect Sasuke either, that maybe the Sharingan blocks it? They've been throwing death flags at Sasuke for a while now. Maybe he sacrifices his life to let Boruto get away, and this is how Boruto gains Sasuke's cloak and sword.

I hope this doesn't happen, since I like the new/older Sasuke.

I also like this plot twist (if it really makes sense to call it that) a lot. I'm really curious to see how Boruto will deal with this situation. One of the strengths of this series is that Boruto is actually a significantly different character than Naruto was, so he seems more likely to come up with some sort of plan beyond just "brute forcing" the situation with the power of his convictions. I also think that Kawaki is a pretty compelling villain. He has believable motives, but ones that are obviously still wrong and intertwined with deep personal flaws.

I'm also curious if some other characters might figure out what's going on. I feel like the pieces should be there for someone who isn't immune to still figure out what's happening. A number of characters are familiar with Eida's abilities, so it should be possible to at least get someone to consider the possibility that something like this happened (certain aspects of the story seem like they would fall apart under scrutiny, even if you have a false set of instincts telling you "this guy is Naruto's son" - like Boruto's motive for wanting to kill Kawaki). Shikamaru seems like the most obvious possibility here, though even if it does happen I'm sure it won't be any time soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As has been mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sarada and Sumire eventually join him at least since they’re immune to Eida’s power (maybe Himawari too as I believe it was mentioned a little while back that she could become a potential threat to Kawaki and the remnants of Kara)

This also suggests that the girls could potentially get more screen time/focus in the second half which makes it all the better

With Naruto out of the picture for now I guess this effectively makes Shikamaru the 8th Hokage (and to be fair, he was already doing a lot of the heavy lifting even before all this went down)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 19, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, here's the official translation:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-79/chapter/26473?action=read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, having a memory altering power for ascended Ohtsutsuki is an interesting explanation for the weirdness of the Naruto/Ohtsutsuki backstory.

I guess it's also interesting how Kawaki's wish comes from his self-loathing (and his love of Boruto) but once he realizes what's happening he takes advantage of it. Still sad to see Kawaki go down this path. More than seeing Sasuke leave the village to be honest.

So going on the panels, it seems like the unaffected people are Kawaki, Eida, Daemon, Sarada, and Boruto. Sumire is another possibility since she was previously unaffected by Eida's power. It seems like Sasuke was affected so it's not the Sharingan that's protecting Sarada.

It seems like the memory altering was a direct copy and paste since those ninjas were confused that Kawaki didn't have an eye injury. Smarter people may be able to piece together something is wrong though if it's like Eida's charm, resisting it too hard may blow up your brain.

Boruto's biggest ally right now is probably Amado so perhaps Kashin Koji will rejoin the plot.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 19, 2023