Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

I know this forum doesn’t like Jon Stewart but Bush era Daily Show was a breath of fresh air when every other media source was beating war drums and rolling with the awful poo poo that administration did.

jon stewart supported the wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
id imagine a lot of those early bush years daily show episodes havent aged well at all

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jon stewart may have told some jokes about george w bush but he didn't hide that he supported what george w bush was doing 100%

jon stewart shared john kerry's thoughts on the george w bush white house: good intentions but flawed execution

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'll never respect the American journalist establishment after the Bush years. They were basically just publishing White House press releases without editing them. Completely morally bankrupt. The nadir of journalism. I won't forget

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'll never respect the American journalist establishment after the Bush years. They were basically just publishing White House press releases without editing them. Completely morally bankrupt. The nadir of journalism. I won't forget

don’t worry no one faced any consequences whatsoever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bedpan posted:

jon stewart supported the wars

Yeah he eventually turned against them but I definitely remember him being pretty keen on the idea. Someone posted a clip a few months ago before the whole thing kicked off of some woman regurgitating pro war talking points and some bearded guy being against them and you wouldn't guess which side he was on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does john oliver have a fancy lads accent in the uk or does he sound like a provincial idiot there and we just think hes authoritative sounding cause we cant tell the difference?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

does john oliver have a fancy lads accent in the uk or does he sound like a provincial idiot there and we just think hes authoritative sounding cause we cant tell the difference?

iirc it’s the latter. he has the equivalent of a rural southern US accent and finds it really funny Americans think it’s fancy

I may be thinking of someone else though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've been watching a lot of old VHS recordings from the early 90's and boy howdy were people excited about Desert Storm. Like way more than Afghanistan or Iraq 2, which I remember having more of a vindictive / revenge feel to them, everything surrounding Desert Storm seems to have been presented as "yay we're finally at war again and it's not Vietnam!"

There was this common narrative getting repeated that people hadn't supported our troops hard enough during Vietnam and that the veterans had been forgotten about once the war ended, so there was a huge amount of over-compensating in the other direction to try to "do it right this time" and it just kinda manifested as an absolutely goofy amount of enthusiasm for war in the media. Buy commemorative Desert Storm envelopes which you can mail with Desert Storm stamps to your friends who are attending the Desert Storm parades and listening to one of the multiple different Desert Storm Theme Songs like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6vr5_CY1o

I'm not even going out of my way to find this stuff either, it just comes up out of nowhere often in completely unrelated shows.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

iirc it’s the latter. he has the equivalent of a rural southern US accent and finds it really funny Americans think it’s fancy

I may be thinking of someone else though

Yeah he's got a northerner accent. A friend of mine (also from northern England) is genuinely bothered by it because they had it drilled into them from a young age that their local accent is bad and shameful and cultured people in formal settings (like on TV) should talk with the proper southern / Oxford accent, and it reminds her of that poo poo or brings up bad memories or something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stewart initially being in favor of the Afghanistan war isn't really a shock. For the first year or so after 9/11, the U.S. was insatiably bloodthirsty. Like, approval in the high nineties bloodthirsty. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone with a large platform speaking out against the war. Also, the Daily Show in 2001 wasn't really the Daily Show. It was still closer to the original Craig Kilborn format of being a comedy talk show that poked fun at the current event rather than the political satire it would become.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of solid criticism of Steward and his worldview, but I think the extended hangover from our forever wars sometimes glazes over just how murder-drunk the country was at the start of that particular bender.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

flol Neil Young, noted anti-war activist, supported the Afghanistan War back in the 00's.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Stewart initially being in favor of the Afghanistan war isn't really a shock. For the first year or so after 9/11, the U.S. was insatiably bloodthirsty. Like, approval in the high nineties bloodthirsty. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone with a large platform speaking out against the war. Also, the Daily Show in 2001 wasn't really the Daily Show. It was still closer to the original Craig Kilborn format of being a comedy talk show that poked fun at the current event rather than the political satire it would become.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of solid criticism of Steward and his worldview, but I think the extended hangover from our forever wars sometimes glazes over just how murder-drunk the country was at the start of that particular bender.

didn't the us have a legit casus belli over afghanistan's government protecting al qaeda? like obviously the war overall was a big mistake but i don't remember the actual beginning of it being anything other than a very clear cut "yep the us is doing what they're entitled to do because of 9/11"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

I've been watching a lot of old VHS recordings from the early 90's and boy howdy were people excited about Desert Storm. Like way more than Afghanistan or Iraq 2, which I remember having more of a vindictive / revenge feel to them, everything surrounding Desert Storm seems to have been presented as "yay we're finally at war again and it's not Vietnam!"

There was this common narrative getting repeated that people hadn't supported our troops hard enough during Vietnam and that the veterans had been forgotten about once the war ended, so there was a huge amount of over-compensating in the other direction to try to "do it right this time" and it just kinda manifested as an absolutely goofy amount of enthusiasm for war in the media. Buy commemorative Desert Storm envelopes which you can mail with Desert Storm stamps to your friends who are attending the Desert Storm parades and listening to one of the multiple different Desert Storm Theme Songs like this one:

i remember seeing desert storm playing cards and magnets and other trinkets in stores around that time. always making a big deal about STORMIN' NORMAN SCHWARZKOPF

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

iraq was obviously about control of oil resources, but was there a point of afghanistan besides MIC grift?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ to kill (capture but come on) bin Laden and knock over the government hiding him. it is kinda embarrassing that it turned out that Pakistan was doing a better job of that

Arivia posted:

didn't the us have a legit casus belli over afghanistan's government protecting al qaeda? like obviously the war overall was a big mistake but i don't remember the actual beginning of it being anything other than a very clear cut "yep the us is doing what they're entitled to do because of 9/11"

as I recall the taliban was supposedly willing to hand bin Laden over if the US went through “normal” extradition procedures. this was basically ignored because they didn’t even do that after the cole bombing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arivia posted:

As early as Sep. 16th 2001, Bush said,

"This is a new kind of—a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient."

He was speaking off the cuff, but even way back then, it was clear that his administration was looking to conduct a broad, ongoing effort. It was going to start in Afghanistan, targeting Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, but it wasn't going to end there. However, almost nobody in the U.S. paid attention or cared at the time. Because again, collective outrage drowned out anything else.

And yes, he actually said crusade in public and in that context. Bush Jr. is not a very smart man.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The U.S. also didn't officially recognize the government it had just paid $43 million to eradicate opium farming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

As early as Sep. 16th 2001, Bush said,

"This is a new kind of—a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient."

He was speaking off the cuff, but even way back then, it was clear that his administration was looking to conduct a broad, ongoing effort. It was going to start in Afghanistan, targeting Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, but it wasn't going to end there. However, almost nobody in the U.S. paid attention or cared at the time. Because again, collective outrage drowned out anything else.

And yes, he actually said crusade in public and in that context. Bush Jr. is not a very smart man.

Gotcha, thanks for the context. I was a tween and Canadian (still am the second), so the warmonger part was probably lost on me going "HOLY poo poo" still.

e: and thanks to hobbesmaster too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Daily Show is like being a vegetarian at an all meat barbeque and finding a head of lettuce. Also there's a bit of bacon grease on it but you can eat around it.

Aside from USA being hugely into war after 911, it's kinda worth remembering that the Taliban was universally regarded as pretty terrible. I dunno how much the opium thing played in, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA figured they could control the entire supply chain if they backed the war.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

So? Why does he get a pass lol. Another amoral rear end in a top hat who just gets his checks cashed cheerleading american imperialism.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
what’s the Venn diagram overlap look like for c-spam posters who hate Jon Stewart and c-span posters who were saying “actually, the Taliban is good” when the US left Afghanistan

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
well kinda after it came out that the taliban smooshed opiates in their country I think they kinda end up being the good guys in the drug war compared to cia and warlords. if we're going by gross anti drug war info. the us does not come out smelling clean or good in any circumstance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

what’s the Venn diagram overlap look like for c-spam posters who hate Jon Stewart and c-span posters who were saying “actually, the Taliban is good” when the US left Afghanistan

You think the US should stay?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Brrrmph posted:

what is this

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
is it a capitalism.png when I make up a silly person who is wrong?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Brrrmph posted:

its too bad all of them got office jobs in kabul

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they should bring back the PDPA tbh. Lol that after all this time the best real estate is the one the soviets built.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Arivia posted:

no. the taliban were like Al Qaeda's landlord they just got some money from them in order to leave them alone.

The taliban were on the cusp of winning a decade long civil war in 2001 until the US entered on the side of the losers, the nothern alliance. Al qaeda was necessary for them b/c they brought in money from abroad.

The US said the Baathists were al qaeda pals too remember? The exact same play. it was always a bunch of bullshit to insert themselves into where they wanted to go anyway

US Intelligence knew bin laden had left the country within 2 months of invasion anyway. there was no legal justification for the war either, no un resolution, no threat from either of afghanistan's major players in their civil war. It had nothing to do with 9/11

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the US invasion of afghanistan was extremely fuckin' dumb and wrong lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ to kill (capture but come on) bin Laden and knock over the government hiding him. it is kinda embarrassing that it turned out that Pakistan was doing a better job of that

as I recall the taliban was supposedly willing to hand bin Laden over if the US went through “normal” extradition procedures. this was basically ignored because they didn’t even do that after the cole bombing.

The taliban was terrified of us inserting itself into their civil war. that's why they got rid of the drug trade within a year of the US asking, which was in 2001 btw. They said they would hand over bin laden and the us declined three times in the week before the invasion. The US was never not going to invade, because the government in Afghanistan effectively didn't exist, had little allies and the US had the world on its side there was no repercussion in ignoring diplomatic options.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In Training posted:

So? Why does he get a pass lol. Another amoral rear end in a top hat who just gets his checks cashed cheerleading american imperialism.

I didn't say he did? My only point is that 90% of the country got sucked into the same jingoist revenge fantasy. By the time the people began to really challenge its validity, we were already mired in two impossible wars.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

I didn't say he did? My only point is that 90% of the country got sucked into the same jingoist revenge fantasy. By the time the people began to really challenge its validity, we were already mired in two impossible wars.

Iraq war was very unpopular in the lead up to it, and inspired some of the largest anti-way protests in US (and world) history. Approval of it went up in America after it started and people got convinced we were liberating them and overthrowing an evil dictator.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm reaching with the Iraq war, but going into Afghanistan was almost unopposed from top to bottom.

Credit to Barbara Lee for being the only congressperson to vote against the Afghanistan war (AUMF).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

The taliban was terrified of us inserting itself into their civil war. that's why they got rid of the drug trade within a year of the US asking, which was in 2001 btw.

the Taliban banned opium poppy cultivation across the country in July 2000 and had been doing so in areas it controlled since the mid 90s btw. not sure about the US role in this.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
John Oliver is from the Midlands which isn't the north, and his accent is a milder version of literally the worst accent in the country

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Brrrmph posted:

The Taliban is better than Jon Stewart.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

The Taliban is better than Jon Stewart.

okay but have you considered that jon stewart is white and american and therefore not scary like the other people you mention

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Jonny's in America
I'm afraid of Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

Jonny's in America
I'm afraid of Americans