Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ArmZ posted:

we all live in America

God is an American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

what about the yaw control?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

In Training posted:

You think the US should stay?

what? no. the US never should have invaded, let alone stay for 20 years

but the Taliban… let’s just say you don’t, under any circumstances, have to “hand it to them”

c-spam is just funny with the gigantic moral brush strokes painted on individuals or groups, but I guess that’s what makes it c-spam. it’s delightfully tribal and full of hot takes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

the Taliban banned opium poppy cultivation across the country in July 2000 and had been doing so in areas it controlled since the mid 90s btw. not sure about the US role in this.

The fentanyl crisis really seemed to get going in 2020-2021.

Brrrmph posted:

what? no. the US never should have invaded, let alone stay for 20 years

but the Taliban… let’s just say you don’t, under any circumstances, have to “hand it to them”

c-spam is just funny with the gigantic moral brush strokes painted on individuals or groups, but I guess that’s what makes it c-spam. it’s delightfully tribal and full of hot takes.

The Taliban is without a doubt better than any realistic alternative so what? Also, their choice of hooking into the Belt and Road initiative is obviously a smart one.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:43 on Mar 19, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DrPossum posted:

what about the yaw control?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjPFAV1foU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ardennes posted:

The fentanyl crisis really seemed to get going in 2021.

The Taliban is without a doubt better than any realistic alternative so what? Also, their choice of hooking into the Belt and Road initiative is obviously a smart one.

yeah banning women from college is the best option

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ArmZ posted:

There is a reason almost no one in the country support the previous government and refused to fight for it. The population of Afghanistan made their choice and put an end to 42 year civil war.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Ardennes posted:

The fentanyl crisis really seemed to get going in 2020-2021.

I will inform the Afghan refugee family at my daughter’s school that it wasn’t so bad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brrrmph posted:

I will inform the Afghan refugee family at my daughter’s school that it wasn’t so bad

You probably don’t need to tell her that her countrymen went in a different direction. It is clear what was happening and how little the Afghan people wanted the US around and how little they want them back. It is also clear not everyone is happy with the government’s attitude toward education but it is also for them to figure it out.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Mar 19, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ArmZ posted:

All the actually existing alternatives include women and their families being bombed and shot a lot so from a womens rights perspective yeah it is.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
lol oh c-spam

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Uh huh
https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1636789437328760833?t=uLvyIF1qCVEIec171H2Jmg&s=19

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
taliban ftw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

☝️

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brrrmph posted:

I know this forum doesn’t like Jon Stewart but Bush era Daily Show was a breath of fresh air when every other media source was beating war drums and rolling with the awful poo poo that administration did.

I seem to remember a time when people thought Bill Maher wasn't the worst. But it might be a false memory, like the Mandelstein Bears.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

the Taliban banned opium poppy cultivation across the country in July 2000 and had been doing so in areas it controlled since the mid 90s btw. not sure about the US role in this.

Bush paid them $43 million to do so just months before the bombing started, which is a lot more than it sounds like considering their economy at the time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This attack on democracy is very authoritarian Brrrmph. The Taliban won fair and square and you need to respect that and not engage in denialism. This sort of behavior certainly calls to mind some parallels to other leaders both modern and historical......

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1637466822298734594?s=20

quote:

Hibatullah Akhundzada's decree says officials should replace appointed sons or other family members - and refrain from hiring relatives in future.

The Taliban dismissed some senior staff when they took power in 2021, while others fled.

There have been allegations that inexperienced staff have been hired based on their personal connections.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All taliban would be incels if women had any rights.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Welp, they got my vote

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also probably true.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

not true

some would be volcels

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
proud volcel vanguard

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
might be some cozy white collar jobs opening up for those of you looking to get a foot in the Taliban door

https://twitter.com/time/status/1637258336654569474?s=46&t=X1cTYfcHZxBSw77YEynx2A

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Brrrmph posted:

might be some cozy white collar jobs opening up for those of you looking to get a foot in the Taliban door

https://twitter.com/time/status/1637258336654569474?s=46&t=X1cTYfcHZxBSw77YEynx2A

Oh hey cool, culture victory

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol at someone unironically using “Trump Derangement Syndrome” itt what the gently caress lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's a real thing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Professor Shark posted:

lol at someone unironically using “Trump Derangement Syndrome” itt what the gently caress lmao

theres a lot of chuds in cpsam OP

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theres a lot of chuds in cpsam OP

I assumed chuds copied it from us.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

Bush paid them $43 million to do so just months before the bombing started, which is a lot more than it sounds like considering their economy at the time.

it seems to be a thing they were doing for a long time, varying according to their ability to enforce and some practical / money concerns. July 2000 is when the most comprehensive ban seemed to start. I don't think it's accurate to imply the Taliban banned opium from cowering in fear of the USA's might, nor even because the USA paid them $43 million. even the Brookings Institute would disagree it had anything to do with appeasing the US : https://www.brookings.edu/articles/pipe-dreams-the-taliban-and-drugs-from-the-1990s-into-its-new-regime

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's an arms race out there with syndromes. When TDS was unleashed on leftists in America, top communist scientists immediately came up with Havana syndrome and retaliated.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

What about the child raping warlords?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

COPE 27 posted:

What about the child raping warlords?

Biden made them leave

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ham Equity posted:

Iraq war was very unpopular in the lead up to it, and inspired some of the largest anti-way protests in US (and world) history. Approval of it went up in America after it started and people got convinced we were liberating them and overthrowing an evil dictator.
Lol no, the Iraq war was very popular in the lead-up:

People were very much still high with bloodlust, even if there were dissenters.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Ham Equity posted:

Iraq war was very unpopular in the lead up to it, and inspired some of the largest anti-way protests in US (and world) history. Approval of it went up in America after it started and people got convinced we were liberating them and overthrowing an evil dictator.

lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
the majority of people in this country wanted to glass the middle east after 9/11

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

I don't think it's accurate to imply the Taliban banned opium from cowering in fear of the USA's might, nor even because the USA paid them $43 million.

I don't think anyone implied that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The taliban may have killed a lot of people, but they also forced a lot of people to get terrible urban office jobs so its impossible to say if they're good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Biplane posted:

The taliban may have killed a lot of people, but they also forced a lot of people to get terrible urban office jobs so its impossible to say if they're good or bad

theyre good, taliban ftw