Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Razer cam is great, but I’m not a huge fan of their branding/logo (glorious as well).

Are there any third party apps that really showcase the dynamic island with the latest iPhones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

My Razer cam is great, but I’m not a huge fan of their branding/logo (glorious as well).

Are there any third party apps that really showcase the dynamic island with the latest iPhones?

I'd say stuff like Carrot Weather, Flighty, Uber, and sport apps NBA/MLB all have dynamic island features that are nifty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to love the heck out of the razer deathadder mouse, but the buttons start to have issues registering clicks after about 1-2 years. It is a very comfortable mouse but if I wanted something that broke constantly I could pay a lot less for the privilege.

(so now we use the logitech clone of the deathadder and it's gone like four years with zero issues)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Razer kishi controller is pretty ok tbh. The Razer Android handheld is a massive fuckin fail though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How well does the iphone keyboard adapt to your typing over time?

I've been on Android using SwiftKey since my last iphone, which was the 3g one way back when. For various reasons, I'm switching over to an iphone 14 pro.

I love my ipad, but the keyboard has always been insanely bizarre on it and never really seemed to get better with my typing, plus it would do bizarre things like change "I went to the store" (typed correctly) to "I was to the store" or even more nonsensical than that. My friend swears up and down that her iphone doesn't do that and got used to her typing pretty quick, but it's the one thing I'm stressed about.

Edit: I have looked at the custom autocorrects and they're all normal reasonable ones that I set, nobody is playing a prank on me, and it does the weird changes inconsistently anyways.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 19, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ssb posted:

I've been on Android using SwiftKey since my last iphone, which was the 3g one way back when. For various reasons, I'm switching over to an iphone 14 pro.

I love my ipad, but the keyboard has always been insanely bizarre on it and never really seemed to get better with my typing, plus it would do bizarre things like change "I went to the store" (typed correctly) to "I was to the store" or even more nonsensical than that. My friend swears up and down that her iphone doesn't do that and got used to her typing pretty quick, but it's the one thing I'm stressed about.

Edit: I have looked at the custom autocorrects and they're all normal reasonable ones that I set, nobody is playing a prank on me, and it does the weird changes inconsistently anyways.
can't stop capitalizing Hope :smugdon:
i Hope

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I find the iPhone keyboard annoying sometimes.

It's.cool.when.it.this.happens.when.typing.urls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Do y'all swipe? I'm a taps man myself.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm a tapper but I've done a lil' swiping here and there.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I always forget about swipe

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My screen area where the keyboard shows the backspace key has a distinct indentation.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Taps, hate swipes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Swipes are really good for longer blobs of text. It's scary good at getting the right word.. so good that when it fucks up you probably didn't notice because you just assumed it was the right thing. So it takes a little proofreading.

Swipes are also good for shitposting with one hand while holding a messy burger in the other.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

i Hope

Yeah I don’t get why it does this. I have a few words it just randomly does it too. Or words it changes despite me correcting it like 800 times.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

ssb posted:

If you pinch in on the ipad it turns into a little swipey keyboard! Which unless you're writing whole sentences is really useful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Mine corrected and to Andrew once I got the 12 mini. So I made a replacement rule but now I can’t type Andrew on the first try. It also capitalizes And for no reason a lot.

I’ve cut all the Andrew’s out of my life over this but it still haunts me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only real adaptive learning I’ve noticed is that it automatically fully capitalizes HITMAN because I can’t stop posting about the award winning video game series.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

tuyop posted:

Mine corrected and to Andrew once I got the 12 mini. So I made a replacement rule but now I can’t type Andrew on the first try. It also capitalizes And for no reason a lot.

I’ve cut all the Andrew’s out of my life over this but it still haunts me.

This drives me up the wall. I’ve tried an word replacement shortcut and it still doesn’t fix it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mawarannahr posted:

i Hope

Thanks Obama

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rafikki posted:

This drives me up the wall. I’ve tried an word replacement shortcut and it still doesn’t fix it.

No idea if this would do it but have you tried resetting the keyboard?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I demand a "never autocorrect a correctly spelled word" option. That's the only thing I hate about typing on iPhone - sometimes I swear it randomly decides to get really aggressive with altering what you're typing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can apps disable autocorrect? I swear each app types differently. Clash of clans, back in the day, used to not correct anything. In the rare instance I’m typing something in the Reddit app, it goes full moron and autocorrects to the dumbest stuff, and won’t autocorrect simple typos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I demand a "never autocorrect a correctly spelled word" option. That's the only thing I hate about typing on iPhone - sometimes I swear it randomly decides to get really aggressive with altering what you're typing.

Yup. I hate it. Occasionally with Swype typing it’s actually correcting itself this way, but way too often it’s just making you retype what you just wrote.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You guys complain a lot lol. iPhone's sentence / word autocomplete is pretty clearly the best in the business or close to it. Is it perfect, nope. But it's kept me in the ecosystem like all the other nice little touches.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My experience with Gboard was a bit better, but when it began having issues (sometimes it would hang or not load at all; I’m guessing that was the OS’s fault) I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle.

I also preferred how it handled spacebar text scrolling.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Gboard is such a piece of loving trash. It doesn't base its decisions on accuracy of finger placement at all, but on a crowd sourced statistical assumption of the most popular words based on a VERY wide area. I can't count the number of times it picks words that start with a letter my finger WASN'T EVEN ON DURING THE ENTIRE loving WORD SWIPE. The size of the keyboard doesn't even matter, either; it'll do the same poo poo on the iPad. It was good back in 2014-2017, and has only gone downhill since.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Inner Light posted:

You guys complain a lot lol. iPhone's sentence / word autocomplete is pretty clearly the best in the business or close to it. Is it perfect, nope. But it's kept me in the ecosystem like all the other nice little touches.

As someone who used both recently this is absolutely not true. Google 's Swype/ autocorrect, on an Android device, is significantly more accurate. There are a ton of things where iOS is superior, but this is not one of them. The iOS keyboard is not great.

Edit: For some reason GBoard sucks on iOS too. I'm guessing it's a permission / privacy thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Kirios posted:

As someone who used both recently this is absolutely not true. Google 's Swype/ autocorrect, on an Android device, is significantly more accurate. There are a ton of things where iOS is superior, but this is not one of them. The iOS keyboard is not great.

Hmm interesting I was talking out my butt a bit as I haven’t used android in a while. Guess I will defer here, at least I haven’t had significant issues with iOS keyboard and it’s been smooth sailing. I tap most of the time but swiping works great too.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, I am a bit shocked about how poor word prediction is, especially given how impressive language prediction AIs are. SwiftKey almost 10 years ago could complete entire sentences it knew I often said without me ever hitting a letter.

The iPhone keyboard is definitely good enough, and the blind type correction is solid so I’m happy with the rate I can type at; but word prediction is just awful. Not bad enough to outweigh the privacy implications of using a third-party keyboard, but bad.

It left “third-patty” in the previous sentence so I had to stop and go back because it’s completely incapable (in my experience) of understanding hyphenated words.

I really hope iOS 17 is nothing but improvements to existing features.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Inner Light posted:

It can both be the best and suck rear end, which it does. Aggressive autocorrect and really bad/nonexistent adaptive hit reg is the worst thing about the phone

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Trying to type "were there" and having an aneurism the 3rd time it randomly changes it to "we're" like 6 words after.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

illcendiary posted:

really bad/nonexistent adaptive hit reg

What does this mean?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s pretty widely considered that notifications and the keyboard are better on Android.

I also think the way they handle settings is better as well - app settings shouldn’t be in the system settings like they are within iOS - you should be able to modify them from within the app it’s self.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

vote_no posted:

Yeah, I am a bit shocked about how poor word prediction is, especially given how impressive language prediction AIs are. SwiftKey almost 10 years ago could complete entire sentences it knew I often said without me ever hitting a letter.

Seriously. SwiftKey has like 13+ years of learning from me and it's so good at correcting things I think I only have to fix what it's done on rare occasions. I don't even bother looking most of the time.

Hopefully the iPhone will learn well enough or at least become predictable instead of changing grammatically sound constructs into gibberish fragments. I'm looking forward to trying an iPhone again regardless. I still like Android customizability and will miss it but too many things end up janky and I already have used ipads and MacBook pros the entire time.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

What does this mean?

The phone in my experience is really bad at taking into account that when I type the word "that", I really don't mean to type "tgat", I mean to hit the "h" instead of the "g". The zones for hit detection (when I said "hit reg" that was short for "hit registration") on a key, from what I remember, dynamically change contextually based on what has just been typed, and yet it's still terrible at it.

This is an old article about it:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/iphone-keyboard-learns-what-you-type-dynamically-resizes-key-hot-zones/

And here's an old video they used to have on their website about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmVKyhyl9U

It's possible they don't do this anymore, but it's still really annoying.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can apps disable autocorrect? I swear each app types differently. Clash of clans, back in the day, used to not correct anything. In the rare instance I’m typing something in the Reddit app, it goes full moron and autocorrects to the dumbest stuff, and won’t autocorrect simple typos.

To an extent. Awful.app controls this behavior of UIText in ForumTweaks.plist, eg for FYAD and YOSPOS:
code:
	<key>154</key>
	<dict>
		<key>showRegdate</key>
		<false/>
		<key>checkSpelling</key>
		<false/>
		<key>autocorrection</key>
		<false/>
		<key>autocapitalization</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>219</key>
	<dict>
		<key>autocapitalization</key>
		<false/>
		<key>postButton</key>
		<string>YOSPOS BITHC</string>
	</dict>

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

When I’m using my iPhone as a hotspot, I pop off the case, stick a charging cable in it, then rest it on the flat base of my Apple studio display - which it turns out, due to being a giant chunk of solid metal, is actually an amazing heatsink in addition to holding up an incredible monitor. Normally using the hotspot, especially while also charging makes the phone burning hot but resting it on the stand keeps it perfectly cool.

I have the camera bump hanging off the edge of the stand so the body of the phone is flush with the stand

I have internet in my home, OP

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

American McGay posted:

The only real adaptive learning I’ve noticed is that it automatically fully capitalizes HITMAN because I can’t stop posting about the award winning video game series.

Help, I think I'm being followed around by a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Endless Mike posted:

I have internet in my home, OP

I live in Australia; where home internet is expensive and slow; and cellular data is blazing fast. I have both, but sometimes I need one or the other.

My home internet costs $80 for 30 megabits download and 5 upload; but the data is unlimited.

My 5g cellular data plan costs me $45 a month, and I typically see download speeds around 300 megabits - but I only get 150gb a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

I live in Australia; where home internet is expensive and slow; and cellular data is blazing fast. I have both, but sometimes I need one or the other.

Just buy a fiber-equipped home in the northern hemisphere. Your/her needs are unnecessarily limiting and you're not going to find what you want.

Edit: Goons always have such weird edge cases.