Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Also merge gbs with byob we love those guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Byob is weirdly unchill nowadays. I don’t think they’ll mesh with geeebus.

Tarquinn, do you honestly care if someone calls Putin a oval office? Absent any other mods, is it something you’d actually care about probing for?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Tarquinn, do you honestly care if someone calls Putin a oval office? Absent any other mods, is it something you’d actually care about probing for?
I am not a fan of gendered insults, when the perfectly fine rear end in a top hat is always readily available, but if you nail me down to that specific example; no, I do not care all that much.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
What about calling Putin the ‘n-word’?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Tarquinn posted:

We probe for it when we see it. There is no oval office alarm that goes off in the GBS mod club house whenever that word is posted.

last time I got probed for it the post literally right above mine somehow didn't even though we both used it in a non gendered way lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

We probe for it when we see it. There is no oval office alarm that goes off in the GBS mod club house whenever that word is posted. We are all human here and do tend to miss stuff from time to time and when the thread goes on just fine with us occasionally not enforcing rules, I am ok with that.

GBS: The c*nt alarm goes off

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

last time I got probed for it the post literally right above mine somehow didn't even though we both used it in a non gendered way lol

When I am elected moderator, I will make sure both of you get probed harshly and equally

This is a campaign promise you can count on

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

bagmonkey posted:

Really wish we could make this the forum title

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Byob is weirdly unchill nowadays. I don’t think they’ll mesh with geeebus.

Tarquinn, do you honestly care if someone calls Putin a oval office? Absent any other mods, is it something you’d actually care about probing for ?

Let me echo that. It's my position is if you use it against a guy I don't really care but while we've been trying to enforce it, it's been rather inconsistent

It's been fascinating to see that this is the one thing that's been bugging people. I mean anecdotally I've known that but now we have data to back it up, with some good suggestions on how to modify it. I don't mean this in a "this is a shutdown this talk" comment sort of way mind you; I'm just making a throwaway comment

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bagmonkey posted:

Serious question to those whose feelings get hurt by this word regardless of context - does the above make you upset? Because you still know what word it is?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's been fascinating to see that this is the one thing that's been bugging people.

It's more that it brings an issue of inconsistency and stupid rules to the fore. If it was banned outright I probably wouldn't care. I'd think such a ban was stupid, but it'd at least be clear.

I manage to not call people cunts at work (just about), but then there's no rule there whereby people can say it in some meetings but not others and only sometimes get pulled up for it when they say it in the 'wrong' place.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 19, 2023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's more that it brings an issue of inconsistency and stupid rules to the fore.

As a question, are there other rules that you see inconsistently applied or don't make sense? Like I said earlier, one of the results out of this I personally want to have is a new ruleset so hearing what may/may not work is vital to that effort

We're all human - sometimes we see things and hit it, sometimes we don't see it. That's why the report function is vital - we can't or read every thread that comes up unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The other subforums I frequent are the kind where I never notice any mod or IK action at all, in a good way. So no.

Realised you may have meant here. I only read a few threads there and the problem with stupid or inconsistent approaches in one of them recently resolved itself.

The report bit doesn't matter, since it's not consistently applied even when it is known. In the examples I gave before, most were in a thread with several IKs who don't see reports, some of whom even addressed it directly, and didn't do anything about it when they have about others. Thus, it's pointless.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 19, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We should start calling broads fannys instead of cunts I think that's like the equivalent right?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Can we have up and down votes and give users Something Awful gold that we buy for really good posts?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nooner posted:

We should start calling broads fannys instead of cunts I think that's like the equivalent right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKlVojfMD4

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I wonder if this community's habit of targeting, doxxing, and driving off funny, talented, and interesting posters might have something to do with the fact that the userbase is shrinking and the forums are stagnating.

No, it surely must be people using the word oval office and retard that's driving down registration and engagement.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr. Merdle posted:

I wonder if this community's habit of targeting, doxxing, and driving off funny, talented, and interesting posters might have something to do with the fact that the userbase is shrinking and the forums are stagnating.

No, it surely must be people using the word oval office and retard that's driving down registration and engagement.

Yeah but those posters that are targeting and doxxing other users spend the most money so sorry hands are tied :shrug:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nobody's saying that word filter moderation is causing users to flee the site. I'm focused only on what we can do in GBS to make it a better place to post so let's stay on that

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The problem with the c word is that no matter what you do no one will ever stop shutting the gently caress up about it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Which is kinda the problem with the whole site right now is that every single mod decision has to be litigated because certain people just cannot tolerate the idea of them or their friends being moderated.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The problem with the c word is that no matter what you do no one will ever stop shutting the gently caress up about it.

If elected, my first act as moderator of GBS will be to ensure anyone who ever brings up the meta discussion about the c word again is given a thoroughly embarrassing avatar

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

cum

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

If elected, my first act as moderator of GBS will be to ensure anyone who ever brings up the meta discussion about the c word again is given a thoroughly embarrassing avatar

You have my vote smugworth

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

cum cum m'lady, you're my butterfly, sugar, baby

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smugworth posted:

I can help you out with that

I am very tired of relitigating this poo poo every week across multiple forums

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2023

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

WELCOME TO THE GBS FEEDBACK POST!

It's been a while since we've heard from you, our GBS posting pals. In that vein, we'd like to hear from you about your experiences with the forum. What works? What doesn't? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of if you say Seth I will rain holy fire on your rear end? Do you have a question or curiosity we can answer? If you have something to say or a suggestion, post it!

Couple of notes before we get started:

- The reason we had the c-word rule was because long before any our times (around when Genesplicer was Jesus's high school teacher iirc) a lot of female goons really felt uncomfortable with the overuse of it, which I agree with, and therefore it was fully banned outside the last of the British Empire threads.

- megathreads do exist and they're their own extremely interesting sociological niches. It's fascinating to see the thread culture that's developed over the years. However, we also recognize that there may be a large barrier of entry to a lot of threads. We'd invite your ideas on how to mitigate this issue.

:siren: RULES :siren:

However, we're going to strictly moderate this thread. GBS shitposting is allowed within reason (because we can't keep you from being you), but we're going to be enforcing the rules hard.

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • For this thread only the c-word rule is lifted. However, don't use this as an excuse to just spam it because you can because we're not going to allow it.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it. If you disagree with other posters, do it respectfully and don't insult them (unless it's funny) or tell them their feedback is worthless.
  • There may be regulars from other forums who give feedback. If given in good faith, that feedback will be considered. Just because they're not a "GBS regular" doesn't mean that they may not have some ideas we can incorporate. Conversely, if you're not a regular of this forum and come to poo poo up this thread with non-constructive feedback, that won't be taken lightly.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.

So, GBS, what do you want to say?

So I'm free to insult people, as long as its funny, but I can't say oval office. got it.

So what is the real reason for this post? Is it just to ban a word? Why ask for feedback if you've already made a decision? I'm not trying to sass, but 8 pages of goons saying its a bad idea might mean something.

If you want to ban it then say so. Don't be wishy-washy about it and probe people for speaking up

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Smugworth posted:

SMUGWORTH FOR MOD!!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Bonzo posted:

So I'm free to insult people, as long as its funny, but I can't say oval office. got it.

So what is the real reason for this post? Is it just to ban a word? Why ask for feedback if you've already made a decision? I'm not trying to sass, but 8 pages of goons saying its a bad idea might mean something.

If you want to ban it then say so. Don't be wishy-washy about it and probe people for speaking up

I'm not sure I understand where the probing part is. If you're referring to the above conversation, it was more because I felt it was starting to veer into forums wide stuff and I can't do anything about that, I can only affect GBS

As for the decision, none has been made yet. This has been up for about two full days only and the feedback is being considered. I get that we want immediate results, but I can't unilaterally deem it done because there's other mods too. This is all part of a wider ranging discussion of the rules themselves

I'm gonna be as transparent as possible about the process because y'all deserve no less. We mods haven't gotten together to have a conversation about this yet, seeing how it's the weekend and I presume we have lives (excepting me, obviously). I'd also like to keep this as a permanent feedback thread too, which is another conversation we all should have

But that's a long way of saying no decision has been made and we're not implementing poo poo from on high without considering where y'all are coming from

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

seth have you seen my simpsons drawings yet

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I have not!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Ahhh man I’m a professional artist now check it out!!! If you click the picture it’ll take you to my own website!!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm not sure I understand where the probing part is. If you're referring to the above conversation, it was more because I felt it was starting to veer into forums wide stuff and I can't do anything about that, I can only affect GBS

As for the decision, none has been made yet. This has been up for about two full days only and the feedback is being considered. I get that we want immediate results, but I can't unilaterally deem it done because there's other mods too. This is all part of a wider ranging discussion of the rules themselves

I'm gonna be as transparent as possible about the process because y'all deserve no less. We mods haven't gotten together to have a conversation about this yet, seeing how it's the weekend and I presume we have lives (excepting me, obviously). I'd also like to keep this as a permanent feedback thread too, which is another conversation we all should have

But that's a long way of saying no decision has been made and we're not implementing poo poo from on high without considering where y'all are coming from

Thank you, this does more to explain what is happening.

Using the probe in this thread as an example, banning the word does nothing to change if a poster is going to troll or not. I dare say that banning the C Word, or any word, just encourages that type of reaction from certain types of posters.

I realize that people get triggered or offended by a post, but banning a word does not stop bad behavior, which sounds like the main reason for the crackdown.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Sid Vicious posted:

Ahhh man I’m a professional artist now check it out!!! If you click the picture it’ll take you to my own website!!!

Love the burns one. :allears:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

The superior c word

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bonzo posted:

Thank you, this does more to explain what is happening.

Using the probe in this thread as an example, banning the word does nothing to change if a poster is going to troll or not. I dare say that banning the C Word, or any word, just encourages that type of reaction from certain types of posters.

I realize that people get triggered or offended by a post, but banning a word does not stop bad behavior, which sounds like the main reason for the crackdown.

Bonzo posted:

I'm a little confused here - the mention of the c-word is based on the current state of it being banned in GBS outside of British/Australian threads. The OP of this thread is relaxing the rule for this thread, not proposing anything new. The rest of the thread is discussing the existing rule from various viewpoints. And other stuff, but for whatever reason this word gets most of the attention.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Love it!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Didn't read the thread but is it pronounced Gibis or gee bee ess thanks u

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

thehandtruck posted:

it's pronounced "gubs"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

It's spelled GBS but pronounced "Throat Wobbler Mangrove"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's pronounced "Vote Smugworth for GBS moderator!"