Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

there's a marathon going across a bunch of dc today and i live just to the north of it. lots of people were walking over to listen to the bands playing along the course and cheer on the runners and it's generally v good vibes but the road closures were causing a ton of acute mental health breakdowns for drivers. they're used to being able to speed around through these residential neighborhoods as the enter the city and the fact that they had to slow down for a few minutes to navigate around closed roads had a whole bunch of dudes screaming at each other, laying on their horns, speeding through every stop sign on quiet neighborhood streets and even running red lights more than usual

like, dudes, just take the metro if having to slow down for five minutes is going to turn you into a homicidal freak screaming at a driver who cannot move forward because the entire intersection is gridlocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

silicone thrills posted:

The bike theft rate confuses the poo poo out me considering: america hates bikers and not many people bike meanwhile I left my 100$ fixie I was playing around with just to learn some poo poo about bikes on the side of my place overnight and it disappeared.

Its like losing a sock in the washer. Where are they going?

they’re going to scrap metal

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I think the death rate of motorcyclists would be a lot lower if they didn't do stupid poo poo all the time. like, every time I see a motorcycle there's a very high chance the rider is doing something moronic at that exact moment

today I had one undertake my car after I moved over to allow a lorry to join the motorway, literally undertook me in the space the lorry was entering. a slight misjudgement and he would've gone under the wheels of a 44 ton wagon. forget donor organs, the paramedics would have needed a kärcher to get him off the road.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im buying all the stolen bikes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

most bike thefts are crimes of opportunity - it’s its own getaway vehicle

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

lol just imagine the kind of absolute trash that’d put this on their car

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Horace posted:

I think the death rate of motorcyclists would be a lot lower if they didn't do stupid poo poo all the time. like, every time I see a motorcycle there's a very high chance the rider is doing something moronic at that exact moment

today I had one undertake my car after I moved over to allow a lorry to join the motorway, literally undertook me in the space the lorry was entering. a slight misjudgement and he would've gone under the wheels of a 44 ton wagon. forget donor organs, the paramedics would have needed a kärcher to get him off the road.

Over here, it's a standard question on insurance policies if you ride motorcycles. If you do, your premium goes way the gently caress up. Motorcycles are not particularly safe, and most of their riders are into thrills.

On the other hand, I should probably get a discount on my policy for not having a car? Or the other way round cause I'm less protected when a car drives into me?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

The bike theft rate confuses the poo poo out me considering: america hates bikers and not many people bike meanwhile I left my 100$ fixie I was playing around with just to learn some poo poo about bikes on the side of my place overnight and it disappeared.

I opportunity cost for stealing a bike is low - tools (if you need one) are cheap and nobody ever gets caught. If you can sell the bike or any of its parts for anything at all it's a 100% return on investment. If not - you can always have fun chucking it in a river.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I hate car

and truck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
But I hate truck more

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
what happened in 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

many cars are technically actually trucks for added convenience in hating both at once

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mystes posted:

many cars are technically actually trucks for added convenience in hating both at once

the not just bikes thing went into how every suv is technically classified as a light truck so it can ignore a bunch of safety regs lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BonHair posted:

Over here, it's a standard question on insurance policies if you ride motorcycles. If you do, your premium goes way the gently caress up. Motorcycles are not particularly safe, and most of their riders are into thrills.

On the other hand, I should probably get a discount on my policy for not having a car? Or the other way round cause I'm less protected when a car drives into me?

You carry a policy without owning a car? Can’t be too expensive I figure because you really would just need uninsured/underinsured coverage right?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

the not just bikes thing went into how every suv is technically classified as a light truck so it can ignore a bunch of safety regs lmao

they're poo poo but it sounds like something maybe happened in 2012 about that

quote:

571 & 585 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Electronic Stability Control Systems
As part of a comprehensive plan for reducing the serious risk of rollover crashes and the risk of death and serious injury in those crashes, this rule establishes Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 126 to require electronic stability control (ESC) systems on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,536 Kg (10,000 pounds) or less. ESC systems use automatic computer-controlled braking of individual wheels to assist the driver in maintaining control in critical driving situations. NHTSA estimates ESC will reduce single-vehicle crashes of passenger cars by 34% and single vehicle crashes of sport utility vehicles (SUVs) by 59%, with a much greater reduction of rollover crashes. NHTSA estimates ESC would save 5,300 to 9,600 lives and prevent 156,000 to 238,000 injuries in all types of crashes annually once all light vehicles on the road are equipped with ESC.

quote:

The United States followed, requiring electronic stability control for all passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds (4536 kg), phasing in the regulation starting with 55% of 2009 models (effective 1 September 2008), 75% of 2010 models, 95% of 2011 models, and all 2012 models.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Horace posted:

http://i.imgur.com/8Al4nIg.mp4

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I nearly got t boned by someone yesterday who didn’t understand how five way stops work. Just went right though his sign and started waving his arms at me when I was already in the intersection.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This would have been the highlight of the day for every kid on that bus.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

:3 I remember when you posted this in one of the Cycle threads.

Kids love bikes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

people do wheelies past my place on noisy lovely dirtbikes all the time. its cool.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homocow posted:

what happened in 2012

obamna 🥺👿

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got to slap the hood of a car today because they were too busy looking left to turn right to look for pedestrians crossing from the right.

In an extremely pedestrian heavy area too, my presence there shouldn’t have been a surprise.

anyways gently caress cars

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Also i used to work right next to that place in the picture, and let me tell you that there is zero reason to drive a car there. Doesn't stop idiots though.

Exactly. I know that a lot of people think of Copenhagen as a cycling paradise (except compared to some Dutch cities), but I still think there are way, way, way too many cars here. Copenhagen badly needs some kind of Japanese/Singapore model where it is ridiculously difficult/expensive to get a parking license. Just make a parking space cost the same per m2 as living space.

Horace posted:

Isn't it also a question of demographics? Like, MC riders tend to be young men, and young men are always more dangerous (to themselves and others) in traffic, regardless of their mode of transportation. When I get elected dictator for life, I'm gonna make it a requirement for men to get a license that they're past 30.

Just kidding, I'm gonna ban all cars.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The area I work in is a bit of an 'industrial park' and as such has lots of large trucks driving around all the time. One particular pet peeve of mine is all of the truck trailers parked up and down both sides of the street all the time making it really difficult to see what's coming while crossing the road without having to stick your head out from behind them into traffic.

When you think about it, it's just another case of businesses pushing costs onto the public while privatizing profits. They're effectively using public infrastructure built and maintained using taxpayer money to conduct an aspect of their business (storage of containers and large machinery) without having to contribute anything for it and while making it so other people's use of the infrastructure is degraded. If they need space to park their trailer overnight they should have a shipping yard or something for it. If I tried to store all the poo poo in my garage on the street in front of my house I'd probably get fined, but if I put it on some wheels suddenly it's fine.

Roads in general are a huge blind spot for people when it comes to what public money should be spent on and what makes good financial sense. Nobody ever asks what the cost-benefit of a suburban road is or asks how it can be made to turn a profit, but try to install some public transport infrastructure (or operate a bus service) and now suddenly it's not worth doing unless it's making a private corporation money?? Car-brain extends well beyond the boundary of the car itself, and also includes supporting services like roads, fossil fuel extraction and transportation, component manufacturing etc.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars are good

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are good

no they arent

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are good

good at being awful for society I agree

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Homocow posted:

what happened in 2012

Obama's new CAFE standards

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

e.pilot posted:

good at being awful for society I agree

theyre pretty good for society

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Blackhawk posted:

The area I work in is a bit of an 'industrial park' and as such has lots of large trucks driving around all the time. One particular pet peeve of mine is all of the truck trailers parked up and down both sides of the street all the time making it really difficult to see what's coming while crossing the road without having to stick your head out from behind them into traffic.

When you think about it, it's just another case of businesses pushing costs onto the public while privatizing profits. They're effectively using public infrastructure built and maintained using taxpayer money to conduct an aspect of their business (storage of containers and large machinery) without having to contribute anything for it and while making it so other people's use of the infrastructure is degraded. If they need space to park their trailer overnight they should have a shipping yard or something for it. If I tried to store all the poo poo in my garage on the street in front of my house I'd probably get fined, but if I put it on some wheels suddenly it's fine.

Roads in general are a huge blind spot for people when it comes to what public money should be spent on and what makes good financial sense. Nobody ever asks what the cost-benefit of a suburban road is or asks how it can be made to turn a profit, but try to install some public transport infrastructure (or operate a bus service) and now suddenly it's not worth doing unless it's making a private corporation money?? Car-brain extends well beyond the boundary of the car itself, and also includes supporting services like roads, fossil fuel extraction and transportation, component manufacturing etc.

yeah I live adjacent to a small industrial park and this poo poo drives me nuts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mayor Dave posted:

Obama's new CAFE standards

wow thanks obama

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Steen71 posted:

Exactly. I know that a lot of people think of Copenhagen as a cycling paradise (except compared to some Dutch cities), but I still think there are way, way, way too many cars here. Copenhagen badly needs some kind of Japanese/Singapore model where it is ridiculously difficult/expensive to get a parking license. Just make a parking space cost the same per m2 as living space.

Isn't it also a question of demographics? Like, MC riders tend to be young men, and young men are always more dangerous (to themselves and others) in traffic, regardless of their mode of transportation. When I get elected dictator for life, I'm gonna make it a requirement for men to get a license that they're past 30.

Just kidding, I'm gonna ban all cars.

Hi Steen, Ruthless says hi.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

There's a busy section of narrow street I had to traverse for work every day. It was directly off a freeway ramp, so most people were making turns down it at high speed. On one side of the street was this horrible used car dealership that would park cars thickly and illegally around their business.

This lead to people making the turn down the narrow street at high speed without being able to see if anyone was coming up it, and also people assuming "Well it's so narrow, I guess it's a one way!"

And this all lead to so many crashes, just because of this dealership using a public good for their own private business in an illegal way.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
If you outlaw street parking then only outlaws will have street parking

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Clark Nova posted:

most bike thefts are crimes of opportunity - it’s its own getaway vehicle

That one week in 05 of every kryptonite lock being disarmed by bic pens, my roommate would just ride all the bikes we had unlocked in the apartment courtyard and leave them wherever he was going

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

loving tweakers are always stealing and stripping bikes

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

like, dudes, just take the metro if having to slow down for five minutes is going to turn you into a homicidal freak screaming at a driver who cannot move forward because the entire intersection is gridlocked
"take the metro" is a foreign language they can never comprehend.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ill just take my car, the metro sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Suzuki does not deserve this slander