Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Oxyclean posted:

I got to rank 10 in trials so I could get the SMG. But yeah, don't really like how the rewards kind of drop off sharply as the ranks slow down.

You're a psychopath but I respect it, that SMG is spicy.

I'm tempted but, frankly, I don't want to justify Trials' existence with my addition to it's playercount. I genuinely wish it wasn't in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It might be slightly better to play today after reset since I think they have "flawless pool" which keeps all the people who've gone flawless from matching with people who haven't, or something?

But yeah, it felt pretty ridiculous that by my 6th or so match on friday, playing right after reset, I was being thrown up against people who already had adept versions of the new SMG. Trials is some real dumb poo poo and the salty rear end in me wants to assume anyone who has adept trials weapon is either a cheater or just stupidly lucky. 7 wins a row feels like it should be seen as a failing of matchmaking, not something that hands out poo poo that gives you an edge over everyone else.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Oxyclean posted:

It might be slightly better to play today after reset since I think they have "flawless pool" which keeps all the people who've gone flawless from matching with people who haven't, or something?

But yeah, it felt pretty ridiculous that by my 6th or so match on friday, playing right after reset, I was being thrown up against people who already had adept versions of the new SMG. Trials is some real dumb poo poo and the salty rear end in me wants to assume anyone who has adept trials weapon is either a cheater or just stupidly lucky. 7 wins a row feels like it should be seen as a failing of matchmaking, not something that hands out poo poo that gives you an edge over everyone else.

ToO is fascinatingly bad from a design standpoint. It's propped up as Destiny's competitive mode, way more than the actual competitive playlist, but everything about it mechanically is just...Could you loving imagine if a PVP shooter like Overwatch or Valorant or some poo poo like that needed you to go 7-0 to get the good rewards? With no SBMM?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Oxyclean posted:

I mean trials is just a badly designed game mode. There's ostensibly no matchmaking except card based (e.g. people with 5 wins play people with 5 wins) and it's sold as the power fantasy of winning 7 which if teams are remotely balanced is extremely unlikely.

They've tried to bandaid this with the flawless pool, adept qp, and fire team based matchmaking, but due to the reward structure the bottom drops out of the player population once the new loot is acquired. This is definitely your best chance to get an adept immortal though, playing freelance after flawless pool is in effect.

It's a fun mode if you can reliably win but that's a big if. I had high hopes for the comp rework since that would be a more "fair" system and would be better to be the aspirational mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today's current lost sector was about as easy as it can get for a solar warlock with void weapons so I knocked out the 4-5 clears I needed and the flawless. Nothing really rushes you, you can plink everything with a scout rifle, there's only... four champs? 3 unstops and 1 overload at the very end. You have good cover throughout. Did it at around 1800 so -30 and I was getting 7-8 minute clears, one of which was flawless. Still think it's ridiculous to have these things set at such a high starting light but once i hit powerful cap it kinda falls in place. Just sucks complete poo poo alongside the launch of the expansion.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

solo master campaign missions are such a loving slog, christ almighty

shoutout to the insanely aggressive and nearly immortal wyverns that can one-shot you through 100 res and double void resist

additional shoutout to the even more aggressive and even more durable boss wyvern that attacks twice as fast

tertiary shoutout to the boss hydra that spams void explosions like it's going out of loving style, all of which one-shot you

last but not least, all three champion types being present, plus tormentors, drastically restricting your loadout more than match game + champs ever did

god tormentors suck so fuckin bad

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

got my utterly worthless badges tho

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PathAsc posted:

The character as written notwithstanding, there's plenty to point at for a militant group that had some loose rockets for drat sure, but aggro weird 80s surfer seemed really out of place when contrasted against the other striders even with how unhinged some were imo.
I got the impression that Nimbus was just a kid playing with their new toy. I don't think their age is ever specified but they seem pretty young, even with the weird synth voice filter, and it's clear that they're not only new to this but still being field trained by Rohan. The godlike power and cool hoverboard they have, getting to smash baddies and be overpowered, why would you not be full-throated hollering all day.

Like in terms of meme tweets, Nimbus is very much still at the sowing stage, and the reaping stage is post-retirement ceremony as they lie in a hospital bed and they go full body horror, which is why Rohan has a much more dour affect.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?t=Sb775OFx0H8iIxCvflU9hg&s=19

Kith posted:

shoutout to the insanely aggressive and nearly immortal wyverns that can one-shot you through 100 res and double void resist

Wyverns need a health nerf so bad, the majors that keep spawning on terminal overload can survive a super and an entire clip of grenade heavy. It'd be fine if they made them faster but weaker to properly fulfil the harasser unit type, but as it is as soon as one appears you have to prioritise it over anything but an overload champ.

E: the fact that they can lock their crit point and keep moving and firing is absolutely hosed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

arsenicCatnip posted:

I'm tempted but, frankly, I don't want to justify Trials' existence with my addition to it's playercount. I genuinely wish it wasn't in the game

The re-design of it a while ago helped it a lot in terms of getting loot, but the fact that Flawless still exists is just...bad. Bungie made a big mistake by marketing Flawless as Trials' unique thing, because now they're kinda locked into keeping it in the mode when the existence of Flawless and the rewards for it is just by far the biggest problem with the mode. As long as Flawless is there, Trials will always be an ugly tumor on Destiny and not worth participating in for the vast majority of the playerbase.

Also, Elimination just isn't a fun mode to play.

Kith posted:

I have no loving clue why Bungie thought it was okay to give an enemy that much damage, plus that much movement capability, plus that much health, plus an obscured crit spot.

For all that loving nonsense, I think the trade-off is that...you can finish them a little sooner in their health bar than you can most other enemies? Great, thanks, lemme just close the gap on this thing while it's barfing out the most void damage in the loving game.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 19, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really interested in the idea of a Cloudstrider Guardian. Or at least, my brain immediately jumps to that thought when Bungie made a big deal talking about their shortened lifespans, and I heard the news broadcast that a lone ghost came to Neomuna.

But then there's a lot of open questions - is it even possible? It seems like Cloudstriders leave behind cores - could a ghost use that for a rez? What would a ghost bringing back a cloudstrider be like? Do they keep all the augs? Some lore books (not related to Neomuna mind you) made a point to mention how Asher never died/got rez'd after his Vex arm, completely unsure what the result of that would have/could have been.

I'm kinda hoping the Veil related quest next season means we might get more Neomuna story bits across the year, if not a season that spends some time/focus there. It felt kind of bad how much the throne world was forgotten after the expansion, but it at least felt a bit more appropriate for there to not really be a lot to do/explore there with Savathun gone and Rhulk dealt with?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if anyone is really wanting/struggling with LLS, my rec is Chamber of Starlight (up for the next 1.5 hours, will return again soon) with Le Monarque and a scout. Shitloads of void shields, only 2 solar shielded knights you can easily keep from regenerating with the poison. There are places to stand where you can just plink, and you can yo-yo the unstops back and forth between rushing you to get stunned and backing off. I got my solo flawless at 1776 on a third try, died once on the other two tries just being sloppy. It did take me 18 minutes with how long it took to burn the champs.

There is also a way to stuff engrams so you don’t have to worry about which armor slot the day is, ask and I can explain.

My prior rec was E15 because of all the buddy tanking, which was my prior record at like 30 below light, but the splash from the boss gun and the teleporting Minotaurs make that dicey for survivability.

Anyways I think the key is the bow because it satisfies a couple things: breaks 95% of shields, keeps shields from regeneration, deals damage while you are in cover, spreads the DOT in groups if you hit perfect draw headshots, is a long range precision to get the overload on the cliff, and the dot keeps the overload from healing to full in like 1 second after you’ve spent 3 minutes whittling it down.

Did it on contraverse void warlock and solar loreley titan, but they really only got me a bit of margin, and I could probably do them without any self heals, that’s how gameable that LS is. I don’t know how critical the catalyst for the bow was, I don’t know that I was getting a lot of unrelenting procs but maybe.

Point is the system is terrible and there are some ways to game the LLS, loadout and knowing where to stand/order of operations is like 95% of it, evidenced by a mediocre player completing a flawless run at 54 below light. I say this to help of people are frustrated, not to brag.

From memory all the dreaming city ones may be gameable like this, I’m not positive what’s in the rotation this season tho.

If anyone wants a run through on where to stand I will take you through, just lmk here or search rhombus on discord.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The rotation appears to be all the Neomuna ones, all the Dreaming City ones, a couple of EDZ ones, and the one difficulty-enabled one on Nessus because why not

Kith posted:

additional shoutout to the even more aggressive and even more durable boss wyvern that attacks twice as fast

tertiary shoutout to the boss hydra that spams void explosions like it's going out of loving style, all of which one-shot you

last but not least, all three champion types being present, plus tormentors, drastically restricting your loadout more than match game + champs ever did

The mission is such a slog even when you’re cheating and completely invulnerable

I have no idea how you’re supposed to do the Lone Wolf badge legit. Abuse invis and suspend I guess? Most of the rooms feel like there’s no way to take cover for more than half a second, even the ones that don’t have two champions and a boss chasing you around

Also extra special bonus shoutout to the bugged physics volumes that can snatch and trap you while you’re grappling towards the exit

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 19, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the fact that the very first real rank requires a flawless solo legend lost sector seems to imply that they aren't intended to be that tough

not sure how they hosed it up that bad!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zokari posted:

the fact that the very first real rank requires a flawless solo legend lost sector seems to imply that they aren't intended to be that tough

:smithcloud:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

The rotation appears to be all the Neomuna ones, all the Dreaming City ones, a couple of EDZ ones, and the one difficulty-enabled one on Nessus because why not
It wouldn't surprise me if they took E15 out of rotation to redo it, pretty much everyone was overjoyed when it came up because it's by far the least bullshit (still wouldn't say it's easy, but it was the least rough).

I would also be annoyed, because that's one of the few I was able to do last season, when we had the 15% solo bonus* and none of this year's difficulty bullshit.

* RIP to a real one.

Zokari posted:

As always, they carefully listened to feedback and rebalanced everything to be its most satisfying, proudly announced the changes in the leadup marketing, and then the night before release a mischievous elf came in and changed a bunch of sliders in rules.ini.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 19, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah provided the champ mod rotation or changing surge/threat things hasn’t invalidated my loadouts , the quarry and skydock are pretty gameable as well. FWIW the trigger zones for waves and champion charge mechanics are usually abusable with longer range stuff, it gets much dicier when you are bringing a sword or smg or something. Luckily scouts, bows, and pulses have some champ options and I generally bring a rocket launcher, LFR, or occasionally a weirdly rangy out-of-type weapon like Eriana’s Vow, Xenophage, leviathans breath etc. that will have some portion of its damage not subject to range or maybe just stunlock stuff. Gjallarhorn can be another really stellar “do damage while you are behind cover” in solar burn ones, I think my quarry loadout may use that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leviathan does a stupid amount of damage this season because due to lag its explosion tends to set off its own volatile debuff. It’s also a guaranteed stun even through the increased stun resistance of high difficulty content

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

The mission is such a slog even when you’re cheating and completely invulnerable

you can what

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Leviathan does a stupid amount of damage this season because due to lag its explosion tends to set off its own volatile debuff. It’s also a guaranteed stun even through the increased stun resistance of high difficulty content
The Timed Payload HC I was using last night seemed to be doing a lot more damage as well, I wonder if there isn't a weird interaction going on somewhere.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

I have no idea how you’re supposed to do the Lone Wolf badge legit.

arc titan w/ fighting lion, pulse rifle, machine gun. volatile rounds+pulse rifle for barrier, jolty pulse grenade for overload, shoulder charge blind for unstop. spend almost all of your time running away from champs waiting for abilities to recharge and shooting grenades around corners at bosses, whittling them down until they explode. triple void resist is an absolute must. the only champs you need to rush are overload because they're so aggressive, unstops are generally too bulky+slow to keep up with dedicated kiting.

tormentors are thankfully not a threat because if you keep running they can never catch up to you. also if you stand in the right place they get confused and stop moving, which is very easy to accomplish after you take out their unstoppable stooges.

overall time investment is two hours. it loving sucked and was not worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

you can what

You can creep through the mission until you get to the first strand claiming spot, then back out to the patrol zone, then back in, and for whatever reason you no longer take damage for the entire rest of the mission

I mean, you can in theory, I just read about this and definitely did not do it to just for the lone wolf triumph

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

arsenicCatnip posted:

If you're OK with getting the SMG sometime later in the season, there's always the twitch rewards route: https://help.bungie.net/hc/en-us/articles/8048011793812-Twitch-Drops

Just watch 10 matches a week, and hang onto your level-up engrams until after you unlock it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

You can creep through the mission until you get to the first strand claiming spot, then back out to the patrol zone, then back in, and for whatever reason you no longer take damage for the entire rest of the mission

I mean, you can in theory, I just read about this and definitely did not do it to just for the lone wolf triumph

i'm going to delete time

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kith posted:

Its so funny how Tormentors in Raids have barely any health, but in any other activity they take ages to kill.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

I think this is the technique in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf8VIkpwirw

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Mill Village posted:

Its so funny how Tormentors in Raids have barely any health, but in any other activity they take ages to kill.

I swear to god the Tormentor in the Final Warning mission has more health than Nezarec

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

uwaeve posted:

Yeah if anyone is really wanting/struggling with LLS, my rec is Chamber of Starlight (up for the next 1.5 hours, will return again soon) with Le Monarque and a scout. Shitloads of void shields, only 2 solar shielded knights you can easily keep from regenerating with the poison. There are places to stand where you can just plink, and you can yo-yo the unstops back and forth between rushing you to get stunned and backing off. I got my solo flawless at 1776 on a third try, died once on the other two tries just being sloppy. It did take me 18 minutes with how long it took to burn the champs.
Ooh, thanks for this. Didn't have time to farm an exotic, but I got my flawless solo on the second attempt, just before it went away for the day. Died a couple times on the first one toying with the third unstop before realizing that it can just be ignored once the boss is spawned.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

how do you remove someone else's post

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Does Fighting Lion still do baffling red bar damage?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It is admittedly somewhat satisfying to figure out the loadout I need to do the given LLS but once I have done that its just a slog compared to how it used to be. I just want those arms and then I can be done, Perdition!

Also the solution to both the ones I've done so far is "Osteo Striga and a void machine gun"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Kith posted:

Tangientially related but I just replayed most of the legendary campaign on a second character and it seems like there are too many situations where you're in an arena with only narrow pillars for cover and multiple wyverns or hydras vomiting splash damage toward you while their buddies slowly walk/teleport around to flush you out. Slog is the best word to describe it but i would add frantic. Commitment is very risky and you're constantly trying to find the safest spot furthest away from everyone(but enough about my personal life).

And I think that's half of what makes this campaign so bland to play through compared to WQ. In that one if you came up against a wall you could always persevere through patience and a little more spatial awareness, memorable exception being phase 1 of the savathun fight but that feels appropriate.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 19, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember! If Legend Lost Sectors are taking more than 5 minutes, you may have forgotten to equip Wish-Ender, and matched your subclass to the Surge.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

arsenicCatnip posted:

I swear to god the Tormentor in the Final Warning mission has more health than Nezarec

Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with that. That whole last fight felt like someone threw down placeholder enemies and just forgot to ever come back and tune the encounter, the adds die instantly and you're just left to blast away at this weird tormentor with infinite health who never actually threatens you

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with that. That whole last fight felt like someone threw down placeholder enemies and just forgot to ever come back and tune the encounter, the adds die instantly and you're just left to blast away at this weird tormentor with infinite health who never actually threatens you

I buy into the theory that the quest was originally designed with it being post-raid in mind and they had to do some slapdash changes when they decided to release the last fragments (and thus make the quest available before the raid)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

I buy into the theory that the quest was originally designed with it being post-raid in mind and they had to do some slapdash changes when they decided to release the last fragments (and thus make the quest available before the raid)

Naw, the quest was ready to go when then made it available - they didn't have to change or update the game in a meaningful way to make it available. Had they not released the fragments early, it would have been the same since the only changes that were planned between launch and raid were some small hotfixes to try to make sure the raid race could go smoothly.

They just hosed up with the tormentor's HP for whatever reason. Maybe it just didn't get enough playtesting, it really wouldn't shock me if it's just something that suffered from deadlines.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

played the free intro mission with the nice vista in jumping between the ships and I'm getting the Destiny 2 itch again

give it to me straight, is Lightfall worth it? Why are all the steam reviews negative

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The campaign's story was kind of a big mess, which got the most initial negative reaction.

It was just generally not as good as WQ's campaign in writing, story and maybe mission quality. The legendary campaign also had some rough spots difficulty wise for solo players, and many other activities in the game saw difficulty bumps that have left some people unhappy.

Overall, it's more destiny. It's probably not the worst expansion, Strand is a ton of fun and actually pretty powerful depending on how you build it.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

frajaq posted:

played the free intro mission with the nice vista in jumping between the ships and I'm getting the Destiny 2 itch again

give it to me straight, is Lightfall worth it? Why are all the steam reviews negative

The writing isn’t that great this season

There’s definitely some idiots saying bungie went woke because nimbus uses they pronouns

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

frajaq posted:

it's more destiny, good and bad.

strand is good. campaign is fine to play through, though the harder difficulty is a little overtuned. story is bad but lore is good. raid is short and simple, which is good or bad based on preference.

difficulty and required powerlevel for various activities is out of whack, but that can be adjusted.

pvp and gambit are still neglected.

they finally put in-game loadouts. there's a bunch of economy simplifications and other quality of life changes all around.

basically, if you like destiny and can see yourself playing for a length of time, then yeah get it. if not it's fine to wait for a sale, destiny expacs seem to go on sale pretty fequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I played the poo poo out of Witch Queen plus the Season of the Risen. Absolutely loved it (throne world remains top locations ever for me design wise)

I quit during Haunted because it wasnt as fun and they nerfed the crafteable weapons drop rates too hard 4 me. So far they're letting me playing around the new zone plus Season content?