Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like FO3 more than 1 and 2, but NV much more than 3. I don't really like 4. The writing in NV outclasses everything Bethesda has ever done.

I think it's more because I dig first person perspectives and simulated real-time worlds, top down isometric has never been able to properly immerse me. I guess I'm a fan of Bethesda's intent behind their games, not necessarily all the ways in which they execute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://sndup.net/zyvd/

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I played that, and I think I might have raised the dead

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SCheeseman posted:

I like FO3 more than 1 and 2, but NV much more than 3. I don't really like 4. The writing in NV outclasses everything Bethesda has ever done.

I think it's more because I dig first person perspectives and simulated real-time worlds, top down isometric has never been able to properly immerse me. I guess I'm a fan of Bethesda's intent behind their games, not necessarily all the ways in which they execute it.

this is a pretty good opinion

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

If you're the kind of person who likes Fallout 3 more than Fallout 1 or 2 then you're not a Fallout fan you're a Bethesda fan

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

shooting someone with a single shot weapon in Fallout 2 and blowing out their shoulder and hearing them groan and fall down is one of the most satisfying kills in video game history. It's up there with killing Doom 2's arachnotrons

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

shooting someone with a single shot weapon in Fallout 2 and blowing out their shoulder and hearing them groan and fall down is one of the most satisfying kills in video game history. It's up there with killing Doom 2's arachnotrons

bloody mess is now and forever my favorite perk

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

bloody mess is now and forever my favorite perk

bloody mess makes the ending of Fallout 1 extremely satisfying and that is the ending that I consider canon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I remember reading pre-release promo articles about Morrowind and they kept hyping up how it had this fully-featured editor that was the same as the tools the devs used to make the game and how they envisioned people using it to make their entire own games from scratch and lol at that never happening until like 3 games later when it happened once.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

i'm a big fan of hitting an enemy with a super sledgehammer and sending them sliding fifteen tiles across the map in slow motion until they hit a wall and a pool of blood forms around their body

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bethesda's intent to keep using the same game engine that Dark Age of Camelot runs on

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Bethesda's intent to keep using the same game engine that Dark Age of Camelot runs on

It's roots go as far back as Daggerfall and Terminator Future Shock. Grid-based layouts with an overworld, separate interiors and teleporter doors to travel between them all.

In a way Fallout 3 is as much a spiritual successor to Terminator Future Shock/Skynet as it is the legal successor to Fallout 2. It's a bit uncanny how similar they feel at times; navigating a post apocalyptic landscape, coming across an old wreck of a gas station, using the door to be confronted with a loading screen. Who wants to bet Starfield still has loading screens when you enter buildings?

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It didn't age well at all, but the first South Park game on the Nintendo 64 kicked rear end.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

big black turnout posted:

Unpopular video game opinions:
* Roguelikes are turn based and tile based
* They should make a good burnout game again

The best roguelike is Mission Thunderbolt

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best roguelike is Mario

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i loved fallout 1 & 2 at the time but honestly they don't really hold up imo. tried to play 2 when it was given away free a few months ago and it's just too janky and annoying. it could do with a remake.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I bought Hitman 3 because it was on sale, completed all the challenges and kills on the introductory practice boat mission, and refunded with 114 minutes played. It sucks because I loved the Hitman games back in the day but I just couldn't see myself doing that poo poo over and over anymore.

"I 100%ed the tutorial and then returned it" is definitely a take

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i loved fallout 1 & 2 at the time but honestly they don't really hold up imo. tried to play 2 when it was given away free a few months ago and it's just too janky and annoying. it could do with a remake.

Have you tried Underrail? it's basically Fallout meets Ultima Underworld and is considered pretty good. It's not the same, but still worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAn68Uy2jQ

Beginner's guide if you find yourself interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRLQHNRW8g

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 3 is the best fallout

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

zone posted:

Beginner's guide if you find yourself interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRLQHNRW8g

thanks i'll watch this. i was told that underrail is tailored to my interests combat-wise but it's kinda hard to get started

edit: this youtuber is a bit long winded

edit: omg whats the point? i'm watching the video so I DONT have to stare at the skill points for two hours. that video is two hours long

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 19, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m not sure what the general opinion of Skyrim is now but I thought it was pretty fun at the time. Pretty crazy that Bethesda still haven’t put out another one. Would have thought it sold enough to justify making it a priority to follow up.

At least with gta 5 it’s made so much money from the online portion that they wouldn’t want to rush to replace it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's Elder Scrolls Online. Not the same, I know.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I could never handle fallout 2, the combat is soooooo sloooowwwww. If there are a bunch of bad guys the enemy turn can take like 2 minutes

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
skyrim has aways been flat, tired dogshit

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
sorry about signing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m not sure what the general opinion of Skyrim is now but I thought it was pretty fun at the time. Pretty crazy that Bethesda still haven’t put out another one. Would have thought it sold enough to justify making it a priority to follow up.

At least with gta 5 it’s made so much money from the online portion that they wouldn’t want to rush to replace it.

they've been putting out skyrims for like the past 10 years
there are so many rereleases

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MLYP

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zone posted:

Have you tried Underrail? it's basically Fallout meets Ultima Underworld and is considered pretty good. It's not the same, but still worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAn68Uy2jQ

Isn't Underrail one of those Spiderweb Software-like games where they're full of cool stats and skills that are all traps except for the one singular build the dev tested the entire game with

like not on purpose, that's just kinda how it shakes out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Skyrim was great at the time, its less timeless than Morrowind but also way more interesting than Oblivion, I got a great 60 hours out it

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't disagree but Oblivion was a black hole of interesting

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Skyrim was great at the time, its less timeless than Morrowind but also way more interesting than Oblivion, I got a great 60 hours out it

skyrim is one of those games that was popular as hell on release, and loved (or at least liked) by nearly everyone for years. but at some point all the contrarian nerds got together and decided they always hated it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skyrim is one of those games that was popular as hell on release, and loved (or at least liked) by nearly everyone for years. but at some point all the contrarian nerds got together and decided they always hated it.

I never played Skyrim, Oblivion was simply that bad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I played it at release and thought it was really good. Going from running from dragons to actually being able to take one down was a legit epic gaming moment. However I never finished it. Couldn't seem to beat the final boss with my build and the rest of the game starts to show its repetitive nature the longer you stay in it. It was cool but I never felt like playing it ever again and nor am I particularly interested in another elder scrolls game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
how can you be unable to beat a boss in a game that lets you hold infinite hp + mp potions and drink them instantly from the pause menu
unless it's oneshotting you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Because it’s a boring and bad game that breaks all the time

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I've just never liked elder scrolls games. I've tried a few of them and the first Bethesda fallout and I just don't get them. It's cool that other people seem to like them, and make clips of all the fun ways they're buggy pieces of poo poo code and silly mechanics.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

how can you be unable to beat a boss in a game that lets you hold infinite hp + mp potions and drink them instantly from the pause menu
unless it's oneshotting you

jokes posted:

Because it’s a boring and bad game that breaks all the time

I played the entire game as stealth archer and the time it was taking me to beat the boss was well into tedious territory and I just couldn't be bothered. I think. I don't loving know it was 12 goddamn years ago

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway I hate playing first person games now. Can't stand them. Needs to really be something special for me to put up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

FoolyCharged posted:

I've just never liked elder scrolls games. I've tried a few of them and the first Bethesda fallout and I just don't get them. It's cool that other people seem to like them, and make clips of all the fun ways they're buggy pieces of poo poo code and silly mechanics.

skyrim was the only one i played any decent amount of, but i didn't play it for hundreds or hours or anything. i just felt it could do with a bit of defending itt because it was at the very least impressive for it's ambition at the time. it's like how everyone shits on GTAV now but when it came out it was incredibly impressive. a lot of it is probably because they both were released a million times since release and still don't have sequels i spose.

oblivion was poo poo tho

btw im not saying anyone in this thread saying skyrim was poo poo actually loved it at the time. just the overall vibe of it was always poo poo and everyone agrees.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 19, 2023